PDA

View Full Version : Any info out there on Chin Woo forms?

BIGtiny
10-27-2003, 08:22 AM
Anyone have any good links for history and info on 7* chin woo forms? I havent turned up a whole lot in the short amount of time I have been looking, so I thought I would ask. Thanks in advance!
-Bt

Mr.Binx
10-27-2003, 09:48 AM
There's not really any information that's this specific available on the net right now that I have been able to find. However, the Chin Woo Association is huge and it is likely that they have an office near you. Your local branch can probably put you in touch with an individual who can answer your questions. Chin Woo's world directory can be found HERE (http://www.chinwoo.com/directory.htm).

ngokfei
10-27-2003, 10:41 AM
Just finished a research project on the Chin Woo/Jing Wu.

It contains a section on the sets/forms.

Origins and requirements.

For a good series on the Chin Woo 10 Forms you should order the bood series from sifu Wing Kit Lam of HK. its in english and chinese. Presently he only has 3 books out (Tan Tui, Gung Li Chuan, DaZhang Chuan, Jie Chuan, Shepherd Staff, 8 trigram saber and 5 tiger spear)

www.kungfumaster.com.hk

for other info e-mail me.

for 7 star mantis sets there are alot of individuals who could help you on that. Check out Carl Albright's web page, great list of sets there.

eric

BIGtiny
10-27-2003, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the info!

Ngokfei: Sifu Albright is my Si-bok, his site is very good, just like his kung-fu :D

-Bt

Young Mantis
10-27-2003, 11:30 AM
Bt,

I can only speak upon WHF's relation to JMAA.

Traditionally, all students of the JMAA went through the same Basic Level curriculum. There were ten required forms to graduate Basic Level ( 4 empty hand forms, 3 weapon forms, 2 empty hand sparring forms, and 1 weapon sparring form):

1. Sup Yi Lo Tam Tui (Tam’s Twelve Kicking Maneuvers)
2. Gung Lik Kuen (Strength Building Form)
3. Jeet Kuen (Section Form)
4. Dai Dzeen Kuen (Big Battle Form)
5. Kwun Yerng Gwun (Shepherd’s Double End Staff)
6. Baht Gwa Do (Eight Trigrams Single Broadsword)
7. Ng Fu Cherng (Five Tigers Spear)
8. Jeep Tam Tui (Tam Tui 2-Man Form)
9. Tou Kuen (2-Man Set Form)
10. Dahn Do Dui Cherng (Single Broadsword vs. Spear)

These forms are all originally from the Northern Shaolin System and the Basic Level curriculum was established by Grandmaster Chiu, Lin Wor. He was one of the earliest instructors at the Central JMAA in Shanghai and was considered one of the top three Chief Instructors at his time. After graduating from the Basic Level, each student then had a choice of studying either Northern Shaolin, Eagle Claw, or Praying Mantis.

When Wong, Hon Funn established his own school, he modified the Basic Level curriculum keeping only Gung Lik Kuen, Baht Gwa Do, and Ng Fu Cherng. He used forms from the Northern Praying Mantis System to supplement the Basic Level requirements.

Good luck with your continued research.

YM

Mr.Binx
10-27-2003, 12:40 PM
On an added note: if you do find any good juicy historical information regarding the seven star forms you are researching, feel free to share your findings. :D

BIGtiny
10-27-2003, 01:16 PM
1. Sup Yi Lo Tam Tui (Tam’s Twelve Kicking Maneuvers)
2. Gung Lik Kuen (Strength Building Form)

Those are the two I am most interested in at the moment, as they are the ones I know thus far, however, I am working on a book (more like a information collective) for my Sifu on 7* history, theory, fighting techniques etc, and of course the CW forms are a large part of our history.

Binx, I will certainly share anything I find with the group here. Thanks again all for your help, and please post more if anyone comes across anything :)
Cheers
Bt