PDA

View Full Version : Choice of women and children!

Serpent
10-27-2003, 10:19 PM
You're in an alleyway with a kid to one side of you and a woman to the other. Suddenly two heavies jump out and raise knives against them. You can only stop one of the heavies in time, so either the woman or the kid will get it.

What do you do?

joedoe
10-27-2003, 10:24 PM
Protect the kid - the woman may be able to look after herself.

T'ai Ji Monkey
10-27-2003, 10:28 PM
Protect the Kid, it still got a whole life before it.

Parent = Guardian.

Ikken Hisatsu
10-27-2003, 10:28 PM
so many variables but Ill try anyway.....

If its some middle aged housewife I would save the kid. if it is some hot 18 year old I would save her.

Of course in real life- I would pull out a double spinning crescent kick to knock the knives out of both guys hands, hip throw one to the dirt, thrust kick the other away, snap the neck of the guy on the ground, then turn to the last dude (who is now begging for his life) and tear out his heart. then eat it, have sex with the hawt 18 year old chick, and train the kid to be my personal bodyguard.

Serpent
10-27-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by T'ai Ji Monkey
Parent = Guardian.

Who said anything about parents?

T'ai Ji Monkey
10-27-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Serpent

I would assume that one of the adults would be the childs parent.
;D

KC Elbows
10-27-2003, 10:43 PM
Is the woman rubenesque?

Serpent
10-27-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by T'ai Ji Monkey

I would assume that one of the adults would be the childs parent.
;D

Why would you assume that?

Serpent
10-27-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by KC Elbows
Is the woman rubenesque?

Certainly, if that's what you'd like.

She could even be called Rueben if that works for you.

T'ai Ji Monkey
10-27-2003, 10:59 PM

Why would you assume that?

Simply, because of the scene you described.

You're in an alleyway with a kid to one side of you and a woman to the other.

Normal walking configuration for a family or a parent with child and a family friend.
And why else would 2 heavies otherwise attack 3 totally unrelated people.

Even though I would still try to protect the child.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-27-2003, 11:18 PM
go after the one holding the kid and sic satan on the other.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-27-2003, 11:19 PM
.........isn't it great when people make up their own rules even after you say you can ONLY do this or that.

Kristoffer
10-28-2003, 05:10 AM
Normal walking configuration for a family or a parent with child and a family friend.
And why else would 2 heavies otherwise attack 3 totally unrelated people.

Oh shut up

On the topic I don't think your gonna be able to think and decide anything, just try to stop the one who is closets to you in some way. In like one second you have to judge if these men wants to mug them or kill them. If they just wanted to mug them they probebly wouldn't be so stupid to launch their attack infront of other people, but then again they could be a couple o' nuts

Liokault
10-28-2003, 05:13 AM
I would assume that it was a set up, the woman and the kid are in on it and are out to set me up.

So I would step back, pull out my semi auto glock (this being america) and shoot them all!!

Black Jack
10-28-2003, 11:23 AM
So I would step back, pull out my semi auto glock (this being america) and shoot them all!!-

Hey.....you took my answer with the expection of shooting them all. I would shoot the knife twirling manics then ask the lady if I could suck on her boobs for a reward.

Tak
10-28-2003, 11:38 AM
I would pick up the kid and use him/her to club the muggers into unconsciousness.

Seriously, if you attack one of the muggers, the other one will turn on you anyway rather than stabbing the kid or the woman.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-28-2003, 12:02 PM
On the topic I don't think your gonna be able to think and decide anything, just try to stop the one who is closets to you in some way. .......

i think it was more of a question of morality and who's life you would value more.

Becca
10-28-2003, 05:06 PM

Protect the kid anyway.:mad: If the woman can't defend herself and is too dumb to get out of the way, she has it comming. The kid would likely not be able to defend him/herself and doesn't have the life-experience to know to get out of the way.

Royal Dragon
10-28-2003, 06:45 PM
Save the kid, no questions asked.

As for this

I would shoot the knife twirling manics then ask the lady if I could suck on her boobs for a reward.

Reply]
Suck on her boobs??? That's it?? What are you daffy?? A rescue that involves killing the attackers is good for a full blown, deepest fantisy fullfillment at the very LEAST!

I figure at least a month of solid hard hore sexual extacy till you've been shooting blanks for days out of which she bears you a son whos a martial prodigy that you can teach all your deepest Kung Fu secrets to. If you kill two attackers, she has to do that, and throw in her totally hot best freind and secret lover too.

If it was HER kid you saved, and not some random street rat who happened to just be there at the time, then the two hotties must then spend the rest of thier lives worshiping the very ground you walk on and fullfilling your every need. This includes 4 hours a day in the gym making damm sure they are hotties for life.

Serpent
10-28-2003, 07:51 PM
Woah! Someone needs to get out more.

diego
10-28-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by KC Elbows
Is the woman rubenesque?

also does she have big zonkers serpent...give us more details:)

Serpent
10-28-2003, 10:29 PM
She's imaginary. So of course she has big zonkers.

CaptinPickAxe
10-28-2003, 10:41 PM
I'd use pyrokinesis to turn the child into a living molotov cocktail, thus burning everyone (except myself) to a crisp. Then I'll market the charred corpses to cannibals with this catchy slogan, "Human Jerkey: @ least its not heroin."

tnwingtsun
10-28-2003, 10:45 PM
Depends who you have more insurance on.

GunnedDownAtrocity,please take down that pic of
"The Willie Sword"

themeecer
10-29-2003, 12:02 AM
I would try to take the knife for both of them hopefully sacrificing my life to keep them alive. More likely they would kill me then kill both the woman and child. So with that choice I would save the child first.

Same kind of question and one I saw played out in the movie Airforce One, the woman is your wife and the child is your child, what do you do? Do you save the woman you have loved for 10+ years or save your offspring? I would look to the wife and say I love her and then save the child.

joedoe
10-29-2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by themeecer
I would try to take the knife for both of them hopefully sacrificing my life to keep them alive. More likely they would kill me then kill both the woman and child. So with that choice I would save the child first.

Same kind of question and one I saw played out in the movie Airforce One, the woman is your wife and the child is your child, what do you do? Do you save the woman you have loved for 10+ years or save your offspring? I would look to the wife and say I love her and then save the child.

I once had a discussion with a man of strong Christian faith in which a similar scenario was posed. The initial argument was whether you could ever kill another human being. His response was 'never'. The scenario I posed was that a gunman had a gun pointed at his new bride's head (he was newly married) and he had the opportunity to save his wife by killing the gunman.

His response was similar to themeecer's - he would step between them and take the bullet to save his wife. My response - 'so you both die'. At least themeecer has the sense to see the futility in taking one for the team :)

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-29-2003, 12:56 AM
i'd look to my wife and be like your ****ed babe. child no questions asked.

GunnedDownAtrocity,please take down that pic of
"The Willie Sword"

what's a willie sword?

themeecer
10-29-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by joedoe

I once had a discussion with a man of strong Christian faith in which a similar scenario was posed. The initial argument was whether you could ever kill another human being. His response was 'never'. The scenario I posed was that a gunman had a gun pointed at his new bride's head (he was newly married) and he had the opportunity to save his wife by killing the gunman.

His response was similar to themeecer's - he would step between them and take the bullet to save his wife. My response - 'so you both die'. At least themeecer has the sense to see the futility in taking one for the team :)
He wouldn't kill the gunman? Ok that's crazy. For one, both his wife and himself would be killed in that scenario. So he just comitted suicide and allowed his wife to be killed as well. I think this is a man that doesn't understand the 10 commandments, the commandment that speaks of not killing is talking about murder. When it comes to protecting a life of another or of yourself, you are free and clear on this ... at least biblically. Kill the shooter, no questions asked.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-29-2003, 01:16 AM
god clarifies "don't kill" rule (http://www.theonion.com/onion3734/god_clarifies_dont_kill.html)

Black Jack
10-29-2003, 10:38 AM
In this hypothetical bullcr@p situation if it was between my wife and kid. It would be the wife I would save. But again its a bullcr@p situation so what does it matter.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-29-2003, 02:33 PM
hypothetically i don't think it would have done you any good.

your hypothecial wife would never, never, ever forgive you and wouldn't your wife for long... hypothetically speaking of course.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-29-2003, 02:36 PM
... if you don't have kids i wouldn't expect you to understand.

....if you do have kids i don't understand.

joedoe
10-29-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Black Jack
In this hypothetical bullcr@p situation if it was between my wife and kid. It would be the wife I would save. But again its a bullcr@p situation so what does it matter.

I would be interested in hearing your rationale for that, if it isn't too much trouble mr BJ :)

sakko
10-29-2003, 04:32 PM
Help the muggers and split the loot!

Ok, just lookin for shock value. Next.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-29-2003, 04:34 PM
you have much to learn on shock value posting my dear friend.

Starchaser107
10-29-2003, 04:47 PM
LOL

"you have much to learn on shock value posting my dear friend."

I'd give them the money, and hope they leave.
If they hurt either one that's a very sad mistake on thier part.
I'd go with the woman, I could always make another kid. sure I'd miss the kid but I think if I were married I'd miss the wife more.
Hopefully she'd understand.
Either way no police force on earth could stop me from murdering the muggers , how's that for honesty:)

*in reality things would probably play out different.

(b) no one is related

I'd give them the money and hope they leave.
the rest I can't honestly say

I've got my own life to live, I'd save whoever I could if I could, if the opportunity presented itself, if not then so beit. Report it to the police in full detail and let them deal with it.
this isn't tv.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-29-2003, 05:15 PM
Hopefully she'd understand.

ok you definitely do not have any children.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-29-2003, 05:16 PM
.... not that it's a bad thing mind you, just making the point.

Starchaser107
10-29-2003, 05:16 PM
I have a child

Starchaser107
10-29-2003, 05:19 PM
i think its a matter of perspective.
like i said though , I could say that now and if faced with that choice &god forbid i'm not ,
but if i WAS it might be a different thing.

just me being honest and sharing how I feel abt it now.

Im aware that if I were married ,
my wife, if faced with the same situation ,
might choose the child over me ,
That possibilty has no bearing on my decision.

It's a ****ed up choice either way, just like killing one random person to save a million.

themeecer
10-29-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Starchaser107
I have a child
Not saying you are lying here but I don't see how a person that has a child can say this:

I'd go with the woman, I could always make another kid. sure I'd miss the kid but I think if I were married I'd miss the wife more.
I have no children but still can somewhat understand the rationale and bond a parent has with their child and why they would choose their child over their spouse. I know I would want my wife to choose our child over me.

Dang, I am getting a little sad thinking about this situation. There are some people that have had to face this choice.

T'ai Ji Monkey
10-29-2003, 08:18 PM
Starchaser.

While I can understand what you are feeling I can't agree with it.

Having kids at an older age is a lot tougher than you might imagine, plus, the emotional stress for the parents trying to raise a kid after the previous one was killed.

It is easier said than done.
;)

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-30-2003, 12:43 AM
I don't see how a person that has a child can say this:

i think this is the first time i have been in complete agreement with themeacer.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-30-2003, 12:55 AM
you mentioned if you were married .... do you not get to spend much time with the kid or something?

i'm not asking for an in depth picture of your personal life or anything, but i honestly don't see how anyone who has a kid could put anything above their well being. there is nothing that comes above my daughters survival with no exception. if it were between adora and jesus himself, jesus would unfortunately get the ****y end of the stick yet again. my woman or even my dog would have to take the plunge if that choice were really presented to me. i honestly can not fathom it being different for any parent who's not a crack head or something.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-30-2003, 01:07 AM
that brings up one that would be difficult for me .... woman or dog? suzi or satan?

one actually listens to me while the other just cocks their head and gives me dumb looks.

one sleeps in bed with me while the other is usually on the couch.

one is taken out to go places while the other whines about being left at home.

one i enjoy giving affection to while the other i'd prefer to leave me alone.

one brings me pleasure with their tounge while the other would have to be trained to.

...... yeah .... definitely have to go with the dog. it would be too hard to train the woman anyway.

Kristoffer
10-30-2003, 02:58 AM
You should change woman

Black Jack
10-30-2003, 08:57 AM
Joedoe,

Lets just say that I am not one of these people who believe in putting children on a pedestal higher then there spouse nor there marriage within all things being reasonable.I think it is a large part of this reasoning that couples have such a high divorce rate and other family problems as well. Its called "child whorship" and I think it is more of a sickness than anything special.

As for why I would save my wife, well because that is my soul mate and that is what I would do, but again this is a bullcrap hypothetical situation, its like the same stupid what if game kids play....what if I had a rocket car....what if I lived on the moon....what if I had the powers of superman.

Nothing is cut and dry and these type of questions are often light years beyond reality.

themeecer
10-30-2003, 09:19 AM
BJ, we normally agree about things on these boards. I have a question: are you married and do you have kids? I guess that is two questions.

I agree that some people have this child worship thing. The child leads the parent. The child is allowed to take up 3 sports and 2 other activites and the parents are run ragged driving them around. But I don't see the instinctual urge to protect your child first, as child worship. Also as someone else mentioned your wife would never forgive you for sacrificing your child. Your wife would choose the child over you, any day of the week. You can't beat the love of a mother.

And lay off the hypothetical question downing. At least it is occuping them away from picking on SD. :) And it is far better than arguing over who is a better fighter, Bruce Lee or Jet Li. (When we all know Bruce was)

GreyMystik
10-30-2003, 09:23 AM
i generally would choose an adult over a child.

that may not be the "pc" answer, but i'm not a 'pc' kind of guy usually. :D

themeecer
10-30-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by GreyMystik

that may not be the "pc" answer, but i'm not a 'pc' kind of guy usually. :D

Heck I am far from pc. But I would choose my child. Same question at you GM ... are you married and do you have kids?

Kristoffer
10-30-2003, 09:34 AM
yea the child is my own blood. you could always replace the women

Black Jack
10-30-2003, 09:41 AM
themeecer-

I have been with the same gal for going on 11 years straight and have lived together for 6 of those years. We are getting married next October. As for the kid issue no I do not have kids unless you count a godchild but maybe in a bunch of years we might think about adopting.

I also agree that child whorship is not always the instinctual urge to protect your child at all costs. Any good parent will do that to the best of there ability as would a good husband do the best to protect his wife and marriage to the best of his ability all things being reasonable. I would die trying to protect both so really that makes the question unreasonable.;)

I do believe that marriage and family is the bedrock of a healthy American society and that this institution should be treated like a sacred value. I would wager that we both could agree on this hands down.

Ahhhh look......a atheist and a christian agreeing on something..... :)

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-30-2003, 09:57 AM
the agnostic agrees on that too.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-30-2003, 09:57 AM

you're a terrible person. and that's coming from the guy who replaced his decapitated head avatar with the one you see now.

txwingchun
10-30-2003, 10:08 AM
Since human life means very little to me anyway this is a hard choice.

I would say the child the woman is an adult and should be able to handle herself if not then that's her problem. The child wouldn't. Beside if I save the childs life his/her mother might be a milf so there's good motivation there.

GreyMystik
10-30-2003, 11:10 AM
no, i don't have any kids and i'm not married.

i have however taken care of kids that i lived with. i know that's not the same as having my own, but wanted to illustrate that i like children and have nothing against them.

i guess it's harder with complete strangers, but the way i see it is this. maybe it's a warped and twisted view, but so be it.

the adult is (for the sake of argument) a productive member of society. a woman, who can more than likely populate with more kids.
the child is, a POTENTIALLY productive member of society. the child could also turn into saddam hussein. we don't KNOW yet... but , more than likely, the woman is not saddam hussein.
again, we don't know because they are strangers, but that's the general gist of how i feel about it.

when faced with the (likely) "known" (the woman) and the potential (child), i would probably save the woman.

any loss of life is sad, but that's my (warped?) logic i guess.

Starchaser107
10-30-2003, 12:14 PM
Like I said it's a $hitty choice either way.
I do have a child , I am unmarried.
I love my child... odds are if I ever get married I would love my wife...

maybe i percieve marriage in a different light than most of you, but for me it would involve love. so the question really asks
"who do you love more?"

It depends also on the situation, the variables are too great in this hypothesis to even dare to give an accurate assessment of anything. regardless of that, I gave my answer based on what my instincts tell me is more logical, rather than how passionately I see some of you are getting over this.

let me quote one of the more logical responses that share similarities with my viewpoint.

"the adult is (for the sake of argument) a productive member of society. a woman, who can more than likely populate with more kids.
the child is, a POTENTIALLY productive member of society. the child could also turn into saddam hussein. we don't KNOW yet... but , more than likely, the woman is not saddam hussein.
again, we don't know because they are strangers, but that's the general gist of how i feel about it.

when faced with the (likely) "known" (the woman) and the potential (child), i would probably save the woman.

any loss of life is sad, but that's my (warped?) logic i guess."

and I agree with grey mystic , any loss of life would be sad. I would grieve. but whatever the decision, i would have to live with it... neither would be comfortable. My choice makes more sense in my eyes.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-30-2003, 12:31 PM
i do admit that with all the sick and ****ed up **** you guys have seen me post on here, i do have a soft spot for kids and animals. thus my opinion on the issue is going to be completely one sided.

i kind of understand you're logic but for me it's more of an issue of protecting the innocent vs. the corrupt. where you see a non productive member of society i see a completely pure and innocent human being. where you see a productive member of society i see someone who may just like to make fun of retards and joke about beating up old people. you're logic comes through clear in my head but not my heart.

at any rate it's neat that we actually got a serious discussion out of this.

Starchaser107
10-30-2003, 12:46 PM
i'll buy you a cyber beer for that one gda. cheers

T'ai Ji Monkey
10-30-2003, 01:21 PM
I would still protect the Child as it has an as YET unrealised potential, the adult already made his/her choices in life.
;)

GreyMystik
10-30-2003, 01:44 PM
see that's exactly why i wouldn't.

it's hard to explain... i guess i see it as , you can always make more children with unrealized potential...?

T'ai Ji Monkey
10-30-2003, 02:08 PM
see that's exactly why i wouldn't.

it's hard to explain... i guess i see it as , you can always make more children with unrealized potential...?

IME, it ain't that easy.

I have friends who lost kids who had the same attitude prior to the event, now years later they(especially her) are still struggling with that event and the impact that they feel because of it.

Also think about it.
You loose lets say a 9yr old Child, I would reckon that it would take atleast another 10yrs to have another child reach that age.

Having a 9yr old child at age 31 and at age 41 is very different.

It isn't as easy as popping into a shop and getting a replacement, the older the child is the more investment and effort you have put into raising it.

MasterKiller
10-30-2003, 02:13 PM
The people on here saying they would choose the woman obviously don't have any children.

You can mouth off all you want about how you could make another child, but when you have children, and I have 2 of them, they are the most important thing in the world to you. Your wife would be secondary, as you would be in her eyes as well.

If neither is related to you, that's a different story, but I would still pick the kid because an adult has at least had the opportunity to become an adult, and the child deserves the same opportunity.

I don't care who you are....nobody would choose to outlive their children if they had a say in the matter.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-30-2003, 02:34 PM
I don't care who you are....nobody would choose to outlive their children if they had a say in the matter.

my one and only wish is that adora outlive me. if i had to die tomorrow for that to be true, i'd gladly do so.

GreyMystik
10-30-2003, 02:49 PM
alright, first off, i don't recall anything being said about this being "your" children or "your" wife.

the question was about strangers. that changes things (to me).

perhaps if i had kids of my own, i would be more likely to save them than my wife (if i were married) but i doubt it.

my wife would have given more to my life at that time, and i'd still go with her.

maybe if i got married and had kids, things would change. maybe not.

at this point, since none of us have had to do what we are talking about (that i know of), it's all speculation.

themeecer
10-30-2003, 03:10 PM
my wife would have given more to my life at that time, and i'd still go with her.
It has nothing to do with what she has given to your life. It has nothing to do with what this person has or will contribute to society. It has nothing to do with the worth of the one person over the other. It has everything to do with that child being a part of you. This child looks up to you and trusts you to protect them. They have an innocent love that we loose sight of as we age.

I don't think you are a bad person or anything because of this. I really think you will change your mind someday when you are married and have kids. And I believe all of us would give up our lives if it could save the two lives in this situation.

Starchaser107
10-30-2003, 04:00 PM
Not everyone has the same Ideals , may I suggest that since we are on this issue of morals or ethics I would like to present you with some variables.

(a) the same situation, the woman is your mother , and the child is your nephew or neice.

(b) the same situation the woman is your wife , the child is your cousin.

(c) the same siyuation the woman is your sister, the child is unknown

(d) the same situation the woman is a friend, the child is hers.

Starchaser107
10-30-2003, 04:08 PM
Also, it may be good if you could answer these other questions.

"If you could cure cancer by sacrificing the life of any random person (the gods would decide for you) beside yourself would you sacrifice that person to save the lives of many?"

what if it were aids and not cancer , could you do it then?

"if you and one of your parents along with your best friend are on safari and somehow your parent and best friend are stung by a viper, you are carrying anti-venom but only enough to barely save one person, if you split it , it wont work, who would you save?"

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-30-2003, 04:11 PM
fair enough:

(a) the same situation, the woman is your mother , and the child is your nephew or neice.

- child. your mother would never forgive you.

(b) the same situation the woman is your wife , the child is your cousin.

- child. your wife would never forgive you.

(c) the same siyuation the woman is your sister, the child is unknown

- child. your sister would never forgive you.

(d) the same situation the woman is a friend, the child is hers.

- child. your friend would probably ****ing kill you.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-30-2003, 04:15 PM
if it means anything i see your point when you take out the variable of the child being yours.

i think it would make a big difference for a lot of people, just not me personally.

and to be completely honest the sister one would be a lot harder than any others. we are very close and she basically raised me as my actual mother is completely ****ing crazy and my father died when i was 15. however, knowing her as i do she couldnt bare knowing her life was spared for that of a child. even after she's ran a day care for years and feels like strangeling most of the little *******s.

T'ai Ji Monkey
10-30-2003, 04:17 PM
My answers are the same asw GDA's.
;)

"If you could cure cancer by sacrificing the life of any random person (the gods would decide for you) beside yourself would you sacrifice that person to save the lives of many?"

what if it were aids and not cancer , could you do it then?.

Can't answer, because it is a loaded question and totally unrealistic.

Also, it may be good if you could answer these other questions.

what if it were aids and not cancer , could you do it then?

"if you and one of your parents along with your best friend are on safari and somehow your parent and best friend are stung by a viper, you are carrying anti-venom but only enough to barely save one person, if you split it , it wont work, who would you save?"

Mute point, they are all adults and capable of making their own decision on who should get the anti-venom.

Nice try.

Starchaser107
10-30-2003, 04:21 PM
lol,
it's obvious that we have very different upbringings and social values.
however i find your dedication to preserving life in it's stage of "innocence" as you call it to be admirable , only because i believe strongly that a man should always stand for something or fall for anything... and it is apparent that is what you are in fact doing.

i truly believe you are being honest with this , and of course the is no judgement. now that you've explained the sister thing I get what it means to you, and i suppose by default what it would mean to her.

I know many people who are closer to thier sister , or brothers and making that choice for them would be the complete opposite.

Becca
10-30-2003, 04:27 PM
As the mother of two lovely little boys, I would always pick the child.

Starchaser107
10-30-2003, 04:31 PM
mute point...

4 shame , it's only a mute point if your religious or moral ethics teach you that a child is incapable of making thier own decisions.
what age child also factors into the decision, infant, toddler, young child, pre teen, teen, adolescent? according to catholicism the age of reason is attained at 7. I'm sure this makes no difference to you at least gda admitted that he was making a passionate decision. you are outrightly dismissing a valid ethical question.

to please you , i will add this to the mix, suppose in the case of the anti venom, both the parent and best friend were unconcious?

the cancer question , while being unrealistic addressess your character as well. the original question itself might be unrealistic unless you were spiderman and the hobgoblin (or some other megalomaniac) was forcing you to choose between the person you love and a group of innocent people...

what would you choose hero?

ppl should never have to make that decision, but unfortunately some do decide wether a person lives or dies....

personally i'm glad governor bush intervened in the florida situation with that comatose girl.

T'ai Ji Monkey
10-30-2003, 04:39 PM
First of all.

I DO NOT follow Judeo/Christian values/morals or practice any other religion.

If both were unconscious I would give the anti-venom to the physically weaker person, logical choice that you will do YOUR best to try to save both.

And ask why if we went into an snake infested area did we not carry enough AV for such an eventuality, and proper gear to protect against snake bites.

BTW, there are ways to survive snake bites without AV unless of course you step onto a black mamba, 2 step or similar, but I disgress.

Even though, IMHO, the scenarios above like many others here are total bollocks designed to get people to agree to your point.
Common tactic also to further sub-define the scenarios to get the desired responses.

Have a nice day.

Starchaser107
10-30-2003, 04:47 PM
there is no evidence that clarifying the conditions Forces a responce. :mad:

total bullocks huh :p , since we have digressed to insulting , i should perhaps say that your life must be quite devoid of charm, and interest if you cannot see the value of the message in fiction.

I suppose the messages in mythology were also bullocks because they were unfactual and obviously impossible.

:o

:cool: :p

T'ai Ji Monkey
10-30-2003, 04:52 PM
there is no evidence that clarifying the conditions Forces a responce. :mad:

No but we get attacked for assuming certain conditions. ;)

total bullocks huh :p , since we have digressed to insulting , i should perhaps say that your life must be quite devoid of charm, and interest if you cannot see the value of the message in fiction.

I haven't even started to insult anybody yet.
My Life is very good thanks, I just don't life in imaginary scenarios and in a fictional world, fun to visit but nothing to get excited about.

I suppose the messages in mythology were also bullocks because they were unfactual and obviously impossible.

A message is a message, problem is that many people CANNOT separate the message from the myth or the messenger, may it be mythology or everyday life.
;)

joedoe
10-30-2003, 05:01 PM
If you look at it from a purely Darwinian POV, then you should always save the child, if it is your child, to ensure that your genes are perpetuated. If the child is not yours, then they are competitors to your own offspring so you should let it die.

Personally I am with GDA on this. I feel that the death of a child is one of the sorriest things that can ever happen and should be prevented if at all possible.

Starchaser107
10-30-2003, 05:35 PM
good sarcasm and healthy retorts are always appreciated:).
TJM it was good debating with you. I said what I said because you were dismissing my point and I believe it had some amount of validity. If you were married and I were in a position like that somehow, I would save your wife as opposed to an unknown child. However if it were my child I would save the child as opposed to some unknown adult.:cool:

T'ai Ji Monkey
10-30-2003, 05:43 PM
If you were married and I were in a position like that somehow, I would save your wife as opposed to an unknown child. However if it were my child I would save the child as opposed to some unknown adult.:cool:

I AM married and got a little one, and both me and my Wife would save someone elses kid.

Kids to us are the future and the potential that they carry is immense,
maybe different upbringins and cultural background.
Kids will always come before other family members.

Me and the Wife, we already had a good life, we passed our genes on no more real need for us anymore.
;)

joedoe
10-30-2003, 05:54 PM
no, i don't have any kids and i'm not married.

i have however taken care of kids that i lived with. i know that's not the same as having my own, but wanted to illustrate that i like children and have nothing against them.

i guess it's harder with complete strangers, but the way i see it is this. maybe it's a warped and twisted view, but so be it.

the adult is (for the sake of argument) a productive member of society. a woman, who can more than likely populate with more kids.

any loss of life is sad, but that's my (warped?) logic i guess.

But what if that child was destined to find a cure for cancer? Or maybe become the world leader that finally brings peace to the world?

Starchaser107
10-30-2003, 05:59 PM
"Me and the Wife, we already had a good life, we passed our genes on no more real need for us anymore."

ok , well if i knew you in person and i was aware that these were your and her wishes I would save the child out of respect for your desire.

GreyMystik
10-31-2003, 09:45 AM
yes, that is the flip side of the "maybe he's the next Charlie Manson" argument.

my point is, if forced to side on chance or something i know, i'll usually side with something i know.

there are exceptions, and i think some of them have been discussed...

it's not that i don't value the life of children because i do... i guess i just don't see them as the pinnacle of purity that others seem to as opposed to "clay that hasn't been molded yet".

it's more of an 'easy come, easy go' type thing.

yes, they havent' had a chance etc etc. they also aren't as big of a loss (IMO) because of that. there will be others.

i'm having a hard time putting this all into words because it SOUNDS like i'm a callous unfeeling a$$ which i'm really not at all... just hard to explain why i feel the way i do i guess.