PDA

View Full Version : What mantis form is this?

Brad
10-28-2003, 06:33 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/stevefarrell/images/mantis_form.mov

Just wondering, because in some ways it looks a LOT like the mizongquan form I've been taught :)

Tainan Mantis
10-28-2003, 08:06 PM
This is Master Gao Daosheng of Taibei performing Hsiao Hu Yen AKA Little Tiger Sparrrow.

This form is also done as a partner set by some schools.
I think, but am not sure, that the partner version was created by Su Yuzhang.

There is some amount of controversy about the roots of this form.
Some say it is semi old 7*, others say it was created for Jing Wu in the 30's.

This version as well as the version I know have more longfist look.

I had a version(dissappeared in the airport) that looked very 7*, like cha chuei.
After I saw that version I wonder if maybe the old 7* theory is correct.

This version here was taught by famous master Wang Songting.
On interviewing Wang's students I find that he often did forms differently, depending on what day of the week it was.
For this reason a complete inventory of Wang's forms was made by video before he passed away.

Where this reel of film is, nobody knows(at least I can't find what happened to it).

There was another reel made of Wang doing 3 forms which was filmed by an American in the early 60's.
It is extremely hard to get, but I have seen some, Lanjie, and Wang's motion is similar to Gao's.

Also, ther is middle and Large Tiger Sparrow.
Almost definetly created after 1949 in Taiwan, though I can't prove this, it seems likely that the Da Hu Yen version which made its' way to NY and HK passed through Su Yuzhang's hands.

Too Bad Master Su doesn't go to this board, though I have seen his name come up on the Taiwan Baji board as writing some posts.

Brad
10-28-2003, 09:02 PM

Ren Blade
10-29-2003, 11:09 AM
I'm having trouble viewing the video. I train Xiao Hu Yuan under Dr. Yang Jwing Ming. I love this form. I wish I could see the video though.

mantis108
10-29-2003, 11:51 AM
When I first saw this clip, I said it is a bona fide Mantis form although I am not familar with the form. I based my comment on the flavor, dynamics and the techniques/combo that was displayed. I didn't realize then that this was performed by Gao Daosheng of what is now known to be a famous proponent of Longfist Mantis in Taiwan. Thank you Tainan for pointed it out. BTW, German Bailung has a clip of his version of the same form.

I did a little background check on this interesting form. One source indicates that this form is a Shandong Taizu Changquan novice form. It is named after Fu Yen Hsing whom I believe is a character in the "water margin" (?) or is it "Romance of Three Kingdom " (?). He was young and energetic who also strived to become commanding officer (a general/field marshal) of his forces. This would gives the general flavour (pun intended) of the form - bold and dynamic. As the form title suggest Xiao Fu Yen (small/young Fu Yen), there has to be youthful exuberance which make sense and ideal for young novice to begin their training in Kung Fu whatever style that happens to be.

Just some thoughts

Mantis108

RAF
10-29-2003, 12:49 PM
I learned this form from my teacher, Tony Yang in the late 1980s. He, of course, learned it most likely from Su Yu Zhang, although he taught along side of Gao Daosheng and they were friends, ocassionally eating together.

My form is a bit different, as I recall, however, we learned it in segments and were told, since none of were practicing baji at that time (only formal students had access to baji), to hold some of the postures for 3 or 4 breaths.

I was told that this form was longfist/praying mantis with a bit more on the longfist side.

We currently teach this as one of the forms for our kids class, after they learn single moving postures (mantis) and 7 Hand.

I always liked the form.

You may see it on Master Ma Long's website, under the tournament video and it will be most likely played by young kids, however, its a solid form.

If you click on Tournament and Events, about a third into the clip you will see one of Master Ma's students doing xiao hu yan. About half way into the clip, on stage, you will see Andy Lianto doing Pigua form #1, he has the black outfit, dragon pants.

http://www.wutang.org/

German Bai Lung
10-29-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by mantis108
BTW, German Bailung has a clip of his version of the same form.

I did a little background check on this interesting form. One source indicates that this form is a Shandong Taizu Changquan novice form. It is named after Fu Yen Hsing whom I believe is a character in the "water margin" (?) or is it "Romance of Three Kingdom " (?). He was young and energetic who also strived to become commanding officer (a general/field marshal) of his forces. This would gives the general flavour (pun intended) of the form - bold and dynamic. As the form title suggest Xiao Fu Yen (small/young Fu Yen), there has to be youthful exuberance which make sense and ideal for young novice to begin their training in Kung Fu whatever style that happens to be.

Just some thoughts

Mantis108

Hi,

the form showing on my page is the dai fu ngan/da hu yan.

About the background check:
In the tales of the water margin/liang shan po there is a famous man called Yan Qing. I believe he is given his name to some brillant forms:
Yan Qing Dan Dao and evtl. yan zi chuan lin(?)

Do you know something about that?

Tainan Mantis
10-29-2003, 03:37 PM
Kai Uwe Pel,
How is it a fact that Hsiao Hu Yen is from Mi Dzong Yi?

mantis108
10-29-2003, 06:49 PM
Hi RAF,

Thanks for sharing the info. BTW, I have not been able to contact you through email (my reply to you has been returned). It seems that your KFO private messages is declined also. I wonder if you can email me at sifu1@internorth.com ? Sorry about the inncovinence.

Hi German Bai Lung,

Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering about some of the moves in your form too. I should have known it's a different form. I like that interesting inside floor sweep. Anyway, it is a great performance. Thanks for sharing that.

Warm regards

Mantis108

mantis108
10-29-2003, 07:14 PM
The style that Yan Qing used was supposed to be Mizhong Yi, which is good at close quartered combat. To be precise, supposedly, throwing and wrestling were his specialty. It is interesting that Mizhong Yi has some key words that is identical to 7 Star PM not to mention that the 12 soft principle of PM seems to be related to Mizhong Yi as well. Now, there is a possibility that "copying and borrowing" of MA literature during Qing dynasty might have something to do with it. This makes isolating the source very difficult. Of an interesting note, I see some forms, both hand forms and weapon forms, in CCK TCPM carry some characteristics of Mizhong. WHF also mentioned in one of his book that Pai An, one of my favorite 2 men forms, is also known as Yan Ching Po Shou. I think this lead to the believe that Mizhong was one of the 18 styles that influenced mantis.

Mantis108

MantisCool
10-30-2003, 12:25 AM
I once read in somebody's website and it was mentioned that The name Hsiao Hu Yen came about when one old master went to a temple and saw a painting of a little tiger on the ceiling. And he created a form after this little tiger!

German Bai Lung
11-08-2003, 11:49 AM
I found another Version of the Siu Fu Ngan/xiau Hu Yan:

http://www.seven-star-mantis.de/bilder/siu%20fu%20ngan%20kuen.avi