PDA

View Full Version : Ai Ping Cheng

Abstract
10-28-2003, 07:58 PM
If you could train Taiji under her, would you?

yea or nay? and why?

curious:cool:

T'ai Ji Monkey
10-28-2003, 08:19 PM
She has some impressive credentials, achievements and teachers, pity no details provided for how she studied under each.

Would I study under here Aye or Nay?

To be honest I can't say as I could not make very clear what she is offering in her classes.

Is she training future Wushu competitors?
Does she teach applications and supplemental training methods to the forms?

Choose your future teacher according what he/she can give you that you don't have now, is my philosophy.

Abstract
10-29-2003, 06:15 AM
"Is she training future Wushu competitors?
Does she teach applications and supplemental training methods to the forms?"

that's what I was wondering. i'm already in shape. i don't want to be a modern wushu master. I don't need a nice exercise. If I were to take up Taiji it would be for the martial + internal aspects. I've studied 'external' styles & would like to delve into Chen Taiji...but not just to be able to do the forms:(

i was hoping somebody that has exp w/her could give some info w/out me going up there & finding out...(i'm lazy:D )

T'ai Ji Monkey
10-29-2003, 06:28 AM
If you want to get into Chen Taiji than I would recommend that you study under a Chen family member or one of his/her direct students.

GeneChing
10-31-2003, 05:47 PM
We've featured her twice already, once in Mar Apr 2002 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=146) and again in May 2000 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=115). What's more, there will be another feature on her in our upcoming issue, on stands in Dec 2003. why has she got so much coverage? She's good, real good, and has played a major role in some amazing history of modern Chinese martial arts.

Brad
10-31-2003, 06:07 PM
She made a few corrections to my form once and seems to be an excellent teacher. As for how much application work she'll have you do, you should ask her. She'll DEFENITELY give you good basics, but if you're not interested in learning or are predjudice against the standardized forms, it might be best to look elsewhere.

About Chen Taiji, my teacher was of the opinion that her Chen style is actually a bit better than her Sun style(which she's known for).

Ren Blade
11-14-2003, 12:32 PM
I've seen her perform Tai Chi many demonstrations. I personally don't see alot of power coming out of her body. What could look like power in her movements is all expressed soley from her hands instead of her body.

If you study Tai Chi under her, it'll be for show.

MusicalGirevik
11-14-2003, 12:54 PM
Your profile says you're in New York. For Chen style in that area, you may be better off going with Ren Guang-Yi, a disciple of Chen Xiao Wang.

JMO...

wujimon
11-15-2003, 04:56 PM
I had trained under a "modern athlete" before and when I did, it was mainly for competition and health. I have also seen some of her chen style and personally, I prefer the traditional approach to the form as opposed to the modern wushu variant, though I have seen some good chen performances by modern wushu performers.

I think you can always learn something from anyone. I think no matter what, each teacher can show us something new, a different approach and I think that experience is worthwhile.

I do agree that if you are located in NY, then you should definitely check out RGY. I believe he should cover the whole curriculum: silk reeling, forms, push hands, application, etc.

good luck.
w.