PDA

View Full Version : Lethal techniques and the reality of them

Kung Lek
07-07-2000, 02:14 AM
Hello-

Lethal techniques can of course be any number of strikes to any number of areas on the body either singularly or in multiples.

Strikes of such a nature as to be lethal generally involve the stoppage of breath or the stoppage of blood flow.

Lethal strikes can also be administered accidentally. For instance in the case of an individual who has a medical condition unbeknownst to themselves. They take a strike to an otherwise non-lethal area of the body and die.

Lethal strikes can also come from the force of the blow administered.

The point of studying Kung Fu is to be able to control a situation where violence is involved.
Killing should never, ever be the goal or intent of the practitioner.
Many of us learn martial arts in the hopes that we will never have to use them.
But if necessary in an act of guardianship or self preservation this action may take place.
in the end by using "lethal" techniques,the practitioner is lowered to the level of murderer and nothing more. No gain, nothing to be proud of.

Many teachers would be remiss to give such techniques to individuals who would dare to ask for them.
What is the intent of the student who asks to be shown these techniques? What will that student do with this knowledge?

Much is shown to the student when the time is right to show that student.
You may have already learned a variety of lethal techniques but just have not been shown how to apply them.

Anyway, food for thought and discussion.

Peace

------------------
Kung Lek

laughing tiger
07-07-2000, 02:32 AM
Good topic and good points made, Kung Lek :-) I have been shown half a dozen, and only after many years of study...they were just taught to me one day. My Sifu said "unless many people try to hurt badly, no good!".

Morpheus
07-08-2000, 05:49 AM
I've always found the easiest, fastest and most eficient way to kill is not to disrupt blood flow or breath but simply to break the spine. I'm talking about using this for killing wounded animals here but I can think of numerous techniques that would accomplish the same thing against human opponents.
As far as not using these techniques unless someone is going to seriously hurt you: how do you know? I've had one too many friends who have been kicked and seriously injured after being knocked down in a fight. If you go to great lengths to avoid fights and still find it neccesary to defend yourself wouldn't it be wise to use any technique you can and worry about the consequences when you're alive later? I wouldn't like to have someones blood on my hands but if they wouldn't let me back down...

loki
07-08-2000, 09:25 AM
Good points Kung Lek, but I believe the primary purpose of Kung Fu is to learn how to defend yourself. All the other stuff that comes with it( philosophy, spirituality, meditation, health) is just gravy. Many people try to be so humble that they will not admit this. If that were really true they would have taken up Yoga or something like that which offers the same things without the fighting aspects. I believe this is the primary reason why most people study the martial arts. Of course I don't believe that you should walk around looking for an opportunity to try and 'kill' someone or starting fights , period. But isn't it good to know that you have something that you can rely on if you really needed it to protect yourself and your loved ones?

Peace

Kung Lek
07-08-2000, 08:38 PM
Hi-
Some good points there.

Yes, I will agree that martial arts are about learning the skills to defend oneself but the development of those skills to the point of high refinement involves the connectivity of spirit, mind and body.

By doing so, or undertaking practices to do so will by nature quell the violent desires that otherwise are present.

If you divorce the philosophical and spiritual aspects from martial art then what you are left with is simple street fighting.

Simple street fighting cannot overshadow the skills acquired with training in the fullness of martial art that includes a code of virtue and teaches a path of righteousness to the practitioner. This path is taught with the inclusion of philosophy and techniques that teach the student to unite all the aspects of their individual being.

At the higher levels of these teachings is where a student learns about the frailities of the human condition and how to exploit those frailities if need be. Through application of techniques such as dim mak and other teachings.

It is what gives value to the science of martial arts. this is quite evident by the training given to various military organizations. This training is drawn from a variety of martial arts and what is involved goes way beyond typical physical training in the martial area.
Kicking, punching, wrestling, grappling are fully developed in the practitioner who has learned to look inward and discover the true self. If these aspects are only developed superficially then they cannot be considered "full".

With the discovery of the true self in the practitioner it is natural to become aware of truths that are evident in all our fellow beings, this in turn leads to an amount of respect for our fellow humans and killing or the felling of the need to kill is dispelled.

It is interesting that the topic of yoga came up (on a side note) yogic practice is a longstanding practice that will indeed enhance and improve ones martial ability greatly. Just as visualization and meditation will improve ones ability to "sense the next move".

Over milleneum the martial arts have developed and grown and the highly effective systems included a rather large amount of esoteric practice with goal of enhancing basic technique. And, it works for most who do it with diligence and the correct frame of mind according to teh standards laid out by the system.

In the shows that highlight martial arts such as ufc, boxing, wrestling matches and so on there has been a minimum of fatalities, but when martial arts are taken on to the battlefield a different story takes place entirely.

great boxers have great technique and much training but very few have ever killed from a wayward blow. Yet, training in the augmentation exercises found within systems of martial arts can give the practitioner the ability to kill with very few blows in some cases only one. You will not see these types of martial artists in competition because in order to achieve what they have become able to do, they have cast off the desires to win or kill. This is by nature.

As far as breaking a human spine, well, this is pretty much impossible without deep knowledge and near incredible power development. That kind of power is never studied or developed in the superficial sporting martial arts.

I'm sure there are more contributions to this thread to come.

Peace

------------------
Kung Lek

Slater_E
07-09-2000, 04:18 AM
you know.......
I have a couple of things that come to mind.

What if you aren't trained enough to take on 3 people at once. BUT they still attack. you have no recourse but to kill.
also, when one man (or woman doesn't matter)....when one man attacks another man, he has chosed to break social morals. and he has chosen to break them in a violent way. in doing so he has forfieted all rights he had. IMHO when someone decides to violently disrupt society, they have to be stopped. sometimes the only way to stop them is to kill them. not always, often you can stop them with words, breaks, hold, etc...but occasionally people have to be killed. I don't like the idea of killing. but sometimes they have to be killed. and although teh idea is that you learn self-defense and king-fu so you don't have to fight, reality is that sometimes you have to fight, and sometimes you have to fight to win and that might mean killing. I dunno, just my input. maybe I shoud lshut up...LOL
/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

------------------
"In a fight, there is no second place."

loki
07-09-2000, 09:23 AM
Kung Lek, you are absolutely correct on all points. However, what you have presented is a blueprint, a goal to reach for. Unfortunately, many never reach that goal.

Peace