PDA

View Full Version : my style is better than your style

jungle-mania
10-29-2003, 05:58 PM
How many times has some guy come around and tell you your style is not too bad or just crap, because you are not practising his style of martial arts and proclaim his style is the universal answer to all self defense. I dunno about you, so far I kick their ass good and then I giggle to myself maliciously.:D

Starchaser107
10-29-2003, 06:29 PM
has not happenned recently. do you really kick each and every single one of thier assess?, wouldn't it be better to ignore them and leave them to wallow in thier own stupidity?

joedoe
10-29-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by jungle-mania
How many times has some guy come around and tell you your style is not too bad or just crap, because you are not practising his style of martial arts and proclaim his style is the universal answer to all self defense. I dunno about you, so far I kick their ass good and then I giggle to myself maliciously.:D

... my style really is better than your style :D

Starchaser107
10-29-2003, 06:42 PM
i'd really expect you to say that joe...

CaptinPickAxe
10-29-2003, 07:03 PM
My style may not better than yours, but my understanding of the mating habits of Elk ideginous to North America far surpasses anyone else's comprehension on said subject...

Oso
10-29-2003, 07:43 PM
and my style is better than JD's style.

;)

:p

T'ai Ji Monkey
10-29-2003, 07:46 PM
Nothing beats:

"Grand Ultimate Fist".

:D

Oso
10-29-2003, 07:50 PM
except using both fists

but, I guess you've never had that opportunity............

Starchaser107
10-29-2003, 08:05 PM
Great Grand Ultimate Fists:o ...and feet

and body , mind soul and chi power

plus i know the 3 jewels and cultivated them well

Oso
10-29-2003, 08:31 PM
****, dude. that's impressive...I've just got the usual 2 jewels......

rogue
10-29-2003, 08:38 PM
Don't know about style but, Your Arby's is not too bad or just crap, because you are not eating at my Arby's. My Arby's is the universal answer to all fast food. Oso will back up my claims.

Oso
10-29-2003, 08:40 PM
rogue has taken the correct, slathered it with Arby's red sauce and washed it down with a beer.

Serpent
10-29-2003, 08:55 PM
Arby's?

:confused:

joedoe
10-29-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
Arby's?

:confused:

American fast food chain. I thought it was OK, but like most fast food chains the food was average.

Serpent
10-29-2003, 09:11 PM
Gotcha. Thanks.

:)

jungle-mania
10-29-2003, 09:22 PM
to stargazer107,

i do kick everyone of their asses, because it help me sleep better at night, so I have something to gigle to sleep

Chang Style Novice
10-29-2003, 10:08 PM
While it is true that junglemania's style is better than my style, my substance is better than his substance.

And of course style without substance is nothing.

Serpent
10-29-2003, 10:15 PM
Are you practising for your local comedy circuit?

Chang Style Novice
10-29-2003, 10:18 PM
Just testing material.

And I'm getting started tonight on the biggest meanest novel in the english language. Wish me luck, I'm swimming in the deep end now.

James Joyce's "Ulysses" is my bedtime reading.

Serpent
10-29-2003, 10:26 PM
CSN, let me tell you a story about Ulysses.

I had to study it for English Lit. and I hated it with a passion. James bloody Joyce, the self-inflated, verbose arsehole, would haunt my study time. A very good friend of mine had a very similar experience.

Anyway, one day a few years ago we went out together and got very drunk with our mate Jack Daniels. We staggered home (we were living in a share house together at the time) and we put Rage Against The Machine on the stereo and cranked it up, completely immune to the neighbours in our drunkeness.

On the bookshelf was Dan's uni copy of Ulysses. He picked it up. He looked at me. He ripped it in half down the spine and threw half to me. By the end of Bombtrack we were lying on the floor in a sea of pages of bollocks verbosity, laughing our drunken arses off as the last few pages fluttered down around us like giant snowflakes. I'd never enjoyed Ulysses until that night. It was quite cathartic, let me tell you.

Anyway, good luck with the novel. What is it?

Meat Shake
10-29-2003, 10:26 PM
krotty chop.
Arbys is good stuff.

Serpent
10-29-2003, 10:32 PM
All of your posts. Mental diarrahoea. All of them.

Chang Style Novice
10-29-2003, 10:33 PM
It's "Ulysses" - sorry that wasn't clear.

And keep in mind I bogged down about 1/3 into "Absalom! Absalom!" and still haven't finished it, so the big U may well kick my ass. But I like the first 10 pages or so.

Anyway, Arby's is pure ass. It's not really roast beef (RB - Arby's - get it? huhuhuhuh) it's a lot more like the blood and pus and goo and filth that accumulates on a slaughterhouse floor, which then clots and soldifies, then is shaped and overcooked to the point that it slightly resembles the texture of roast beef, then is slapped onto a bun without any vegetables or condiments at all. It's about the worst fast food sandwich I've ever encountered.

But hey! Strokes and folks, ya know?

Meat Shake
10-29-2003, 10:34 PM
No no, only about 70%. Thats not too bad compared to your 60%.
:o

Serpent
10-29-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
It's "Ulysses" - sorry that wasn't clear.

Oh right, I see! Good luck - you'll need it!

Anyway, Arby's is pure ass. It's not really roast beef (RB - Arby's - get it? huhuhuhuh) it's a lot more like the blood and pus and goo and filth that accumulates on a slaughterhouse floor, which then clots and soldifies, then is shaped and overcooked to the point that it slightly resembles the texture of roast beef, then is slapped onto a bun without any vegetables or condiments at all. It's about the worst fast food sandwich I've ever encountered.

But hey! Strokes and folks, ya know?

God bless the capitalist free market economy and the instant gratification nature of modern society!

Meat Shake
10-29-2003, 10:53 PM
Nah, I just have the eating habits of a dispose-all. Minus junk food.
:)

Oso
10-30-2003, 05:29 AM
Genrally, YES, Arby's is the last choice on my list of fast food joints.

I could go into detail about the difference between most Arby's and the one where rogue and I had lunch but there is really just one important difference.

They serve beer.

David Jamieson
10-30-2003, 06:35 AM
'Ulysses' by Joyce, possibly only beaten in dryness by Ayn Rand's 'Atlas shrugged'.

Yes, to be sure, that is some bedtime reading. You will get a full nights sleep with either of these books. :D

Oh, and my style is better than yours,..and yours, combined, squared,then cubed and diced, and served on a bleached Arby's bun covered in death sauce.

Ray Pina
10-30-2003, 07:41 AM
I've pointed out a couple times to people that their bong sau, the way they use it -- is dangerous ... to themselves ... that it could be flipped.

They must have had the same experience, thinking, "O, another one of these guys."

But I flipped their bong sau and they were bent at the waist looking at their shoes.

If you have studied a style for at least 5 years, are you in a position to point out weaknesses? If you moved on to another style with less weaknesses, are you in a position to compare the two?

I know it's not politically correct, but I am of the mindset that some styles are better than others.

MasterKiller
10-30-2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Serpent
I had to study it for English Lit. and I hated it with a passion. James bloody Joyce, the self-inflated, verbose arsehole, would haunt my study time. A very good friend of mine had a very similar experience.
I agree. Ulysses sucks. I read about 4 pages of it in college, and decided I'd rather fail the test on it than spend any more time trying to read it.

I had the same reaction to Moby ****, but I did waste an entire Spring Break getting through that monstrosity. The origianal version, mind you, with all the crap about the history of whaling, etc....

By the end of Bombtrack we were lying on the floor in a sea of pages of bollocks verbosity, laughing our drunken arses off as the last few pages fluttered down around us like giant snowflakes. I'd never enjoyed Ulysses until that night. It was quite cathartic, let me tell you. Serpent must be using Ulysses here as some sort of Austrailian slang for h o m o sexual anal sex.

Oso
10-30-2003, 08:29 AM
the problem with books written during the 1800's is that they were written in a serialized manner. The author would write a chapter a month or whatever and send it in to the periodical/magazine for publication. They were also paid by the word. So, it was in their best interest to be verbose.

I tried to read the 3 Musketeers by Dumas and after the first 1/4 of the book it was real obvious that he was just writing for the money.

damm, where the hell did this thread go?

David Jamieson
10-30-2003, 08:43 AM
hey mike myers is making a cat in the hat movie

looks good

Oso
10-30-2003, 09:20 AM
I hate mike meyers.

He's going to destroy a great piece of literature.

MasterKiller
10-30-2003, 09:24 AM
the problem with books written during the 1800's is that they were written in a serialized manner. This was a common practice all the way until just after WWII.

Oso
10-30-2003, 09:53 AM
MK

true. I've read a lot of the early sci fi stuff and it was done like that as well.

I think there is a big difference in the lengths of the novels *written at the beginning of that trend compared to those written at the end.* (edit)

perhaps the advent of radio and then tv had some effect on the overall length of a book.

Chang Style Novice
10-30-2003, 11:14 AM
#1 - I'm only one chapter in, but "Ulysses" seems pretty moist and tasty so far.

#2 - "Ulysses" was first published on February 2, 1922 not in the 1800s, and in one volume not serially.

#3 - Everything Mike Myers does is terrible, everything Dr. Suess does is golden. I'm going to pretend that the Cat in the Hat movie just doesn't exist, like the Grinch movie, Godfather III, and any Simpsons episode made after 1998 except for "Mom and Pop Art." It's a happier world without them.

#4 - Moby-Dick is a work of amazing genius, although I can certainly understand impatience with the Cetacean Chapters.

Tak
10-30-2003, 11:21 AM
Hmm, I liked the 3 Musketeers. Maybe I had a different translation.

CSN, what's your position on Futurama?

Chang Style Novice
10-30-2003, 11:25 AM
I am pro-Futurama and most particularly pro-Dr. Zoidberg but think it just might be a good thing it flamed out when it did, so we aren't subjected to atrocities like say, any Simpsons episode from last year.

However, King of the Hill is my true favorite.

MasterKiller
10-30-2003, 11:28 AM
King of the Hill is funny in an Andy Warhol kind of way, but, as childish as it may be, Southpark cracks my @ss up.

Chang Style Novice
10-30-2003, 11:33 AM
I haven't seen South Park for a while, but as long as Trey and Matt concentrate on the funny and not on politics, they're effin' great. They lack the proper touch for political satire, but their social satire stuff slays me.

PS - I have no idea what you mean by "funny in an Andy Warhol way."

Black Jack
10-30-2003, 11:41 AM
I tend to rather enjoy the political aspect to South Park and find the show to be super-duper entertaining. I think that show is on the money-funny. The Simpsons is grand in my viewpoint no matter what year it comes from. It is the gold which falls from the sky and I have been a life long fan.

Future-Rama in the start was pretty good but it just did not have that zing for me as the others do. I can not stand king of the hill nor did I like his previous work.

South Park was great last nite.

Oso
10-30-2003, 12:10 PM
CSN

can't comment on #1 since I haven't read it.

#2 My bad. I'll still stand by my comments on other books published in that manner.

#3 Agreed, wholeheartedly.

#4 Havn't read it either. Give "Cachalot" by Alan Dean Foster a read for a good story about a planet where all the cetaceans on Earth forced the human govornment to transport them to a planet that was mostly ocean.

Tak, I tried the completely unabridged (according to the cover) version. I loved the first 1/3 then it just went on and on and on without as much action.

I'm not knocking anyone's choice in reading, mind you, just running my mouth about mine.:)

The Simpsons came out during the 6 or 7 year break I took from TV. So, I didn't get the bug that everyone else did. I was a raft guide when it first hit and I remember all my buddies going apeshiit over it.

Matt Groenig is from the Durham/Chapel Hill area and his stuff was in an independant newspaper I used to read long before the Simpsons.

King of the Hill never disappoints. The one the other night where the pork king tried to turn Luanne into his mother was great.

Southpark rules all. Last night was hilarious. Cartman finally got his ass beat. And when Butters ****ed on him at the end and said "**** you, Eric" I was litterally RAOFLMAO. It was interesting that the first ad of the night was for the new Napster but they were slamming all the musicians *****ing about people downloading.

Chang Style Novice
10-30-2003, 12:17 PM
Just showing off my comic geek chops, here, don't nobody take no offense.

Matt Groening is actually from Portland OR, but his Life in Hell strip was widely syndicated in alternative weeklies before he got tapped by the Tracy Ullman show to create the animated bumpers which eventually became the Simpsons. He invented the strip while living in LA (where he still stays, I think) thus the name "Life in Hell."

Interestingly, many minor characters on the Simpsons are named for streets and neighborhoods of Portland, or so I'm told. Despite the fact half my family moved there a few years ago, I don't know much about the town.

http://www.amuniversal.com/ups/features/simpsons/groening.htm

Brief bio mentioning his hometown/\

Oso
10-30-2003, 12:30 PM
wow, batting .ooo today.

time to go do some kung fu, at least I know a little about that.

now, I'm gonna spend the rest of the day trying to figure out why I thought MG was from the D/CH area.

Serpent
10-30-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
I had the same reaction to Moby ****, but I did waste an entire Spring Break getting through that monstrosity. The origianal version, mind you, with all the crap about the history of whaling, etc....

I read that version. I felt as though it was like a fight I was determined not to lose, so I waded through it. Over all a great book, but an editted version would surely be the way forward.

Serpent must be using Ulysses here as some sort of Austrailian slang for h o m o sexual anal sex. [/B]

Errr... No. It's quite literal, I assure you.