PDA

View Full Version : Stretching for recovery?

IronFist
10-29-2003, 11:13 PM
I've recently read a guy's posts who says that stretching does not help you recover because it creates more microtrauma from which your muscles must recover.

He also said that "recovery workouts" are counter-productive because you're also creating more microtrauma. However, he said that extremely low effort stuff like walking may help.

What do you guys think?

The only thing I've experienced is that once I my triceps were pretty sore from a workout, but a few days later I worked them out again and the next day the soreness was all but gone! I even posted about it here (it was a week ago or so). I have no idea what happened, but the first workout was 12 sets of 4 which left me sore and the workout 3 days after that when I was still sore was 5 sets of 10-12, and the next day I wasn't sore.

It blew my mind.

What do you guys think about the two opinions at the top?

Ford Prefect
10-30-2003, 07:20 AM
I don't see how light passive and loaded stretching stretching would cause signifigant microtrauma. I'd understand if he's talking about PNF, STI, or some other high intensity form of stretching, but it sounds like he's a little wacked. Light stretching will lossen the muscle and premote more blood flow (nutrient flow) to the muscle stretched.

As for recovery stuff. Again it depends on intensity. This is why Westside loves the sled. Most microtrauma occurs during the eccentric portion of the lift. With the sled, you are only using concentric movements so again premoting blood flow to the muscle and the contractions cycle it through. Light cal's and weights would be beneficial too. Does this guy bench 150 and look like the michelin man?

fa_jing
10-30-2003, 11:22 AM
I hate stretching, but it is necessary for loosening the muscles the following day after an intense workout. I don't know about recovery, but if I don't stretch over a period of days eventually something will get tweaked.

For recovery itself, a light workout will get the blood flowing through the muscles and remove some residual lactic acid buildup--I think. Also, it seems to tell my nervous system to hurry up and repair the muscle, because I'm going to be using it. I think.

Tak
10-30-2003, 11:34 AM
I dunno about microtrauma, but I always feel better after stretching and/or doing a "recovery workout." In particular, running a couple miles always helps loosen me up the day after a shuai jiao class.

IronFist
10-30-2003, 12:44 PM
Ford, now that I think about it, he may have been talking about "extreme stretching" not helping with recovery. I think he benches a lot more than 150 and doesn't look like the michelin man. You've got pm again.

IronFist
10-30-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Tak
In particular, running a couple miles always helps loosen me up the day after a shuai jiao class.

Runners freaking amaze me. You run a couple miles after a shuai jiao class. For me, running one mile is a complete workout by itself, much less a "couple" miles after class :eek: :eek: :eek:

My girlfriend is like that. "Oh, I only ran 5 miles today :)" And I'm like "you can't use 'only' and '5 miles' in the same sentence." :D

Tak
10-30-2003, 01:03 PM
Well, it's the next day, not right after class. I stumble out of most of my SJ classes in a daze.

Running is all a matter of conditioning. Runners run like many athletes lift. If you lift and push yourself every day, consistently, you're going to be good at it after a while. Same with running. I only run about once a week anymore, but it keeps me at a level where I can do 4 or 5 miles at a pretty good clip.

IronFist
10-30-2003, 02:36 PM
What does "clip" mean?

fa_jing
10-30-2003, 02:59 PM
clip = pace