PDA

View Full Version : How to defend against knee strikes

mantis boxer
07-08-2000, 02:15 PM
If you ever get your neck grabbed and the guy does a knee strike on you, the best thing you can do is to push the guy back. THere's not much you can do about the first knee strike, but after the first knee strike the guy is standing on one leg. You immediately push him back and he will lose balance and be forced to step back. Any thoughts?

Arioch7
07-09-2000, 12:35 AM
I am more of a "jammer" myself. I dont know why, but I like to intercept and neutralize. I would probably check his knee and then knock him on his arse, simultaneously of course.

A lot of instructors that I have trained with have been dismayed by my attitude. I realize a lot of the time it is better to move away but whenever I have done this in the past, it worked.

Thats why I like CMA's... a lot of grabbing and bridging and deception... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif!

I think Southern styles are more suited towards my way of fighting but of course I dont take any. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Arioch7 (edited 07-09-2000).]

laughing tiger
07-09-2000, 12:43 AM
good post, Arioc7 :-) Both of my southern styles I studied advocate working very closely inside, with positions to (hopefully) mitigate as much knee strike from the other as much as posible. I think it is difficult for someone to use their legs much when they are being hit often by rapid blows to the torso or face, and while they are blocking them as best they can. Also, it's to one's advantage to try to work into a position beside or behind your opponant. I see demonstrations of some arts where the sequence of techniques are performed with the fighter staying in front of the opponant. I think this is dangerous. I always think of unbalancing and entering ...and moving to the side if things havent done their job yet. :-)

laughing tiger
07-09-2000, 12:47 AM
another thought...if you both are standing up and his arm is up, as in going for a head grab, that opens up a lot of targets on him (ribs, pit and a few pressure points that can be quickly struck and hard for him to block quickly enough). I would only attempt a head grab if the opponant was very off-balance of doubled over a bit. Just my opnion :-)

Arioch7
07-09-2000, 01:16 AM
Good post yourself! I never really noticed about people generally standing in FRONT of the opponnent but come to think of it, you are correct.

Come to think of it, I dont think that there are ANY oblique movements in the entire Taeguk(All the "official" Korean forms of TKD up to Black Belt.)... makes ya' think. I think I might try some southern stuff after another year of acclimating to Longfist.

A further point I would like to add is that most peoples knee strikes are EXTREMELY slow. In my book, you use slow against me... you lose! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Now I will proceed to run around my work throwing knee strikes like a loon...

SifuAbel
07-09-2000, 04:16 AM
How about this:

When the head is grabbed and the knee comes up he is on one leg. So take the same side hand and push the incoming knee inward, then step in with the opposite leg and hip toss the guy right on his head. just a thought.

mantis boxer
07-09-2000, 05:29 AM
Sifu Abel,
That seems like a lot of work. When the guy grabs your head down, just push him back when you see the knee strike coming. =]

SifuAbel
07-09-2000, 05:45 AM
I'm just partial to dropping and throwing. I am more absorbing the knee strike into a technique than forcing him to retreat and re-attack. It actually happens quite quickly. I like techniques which uses the opponents energy(I Know it sounds so cliche). What I described above happens simultaneously. So i'm not actually using alot of force. Im just placing and disbalancing.

dooder
07-09-2000, 06:23 AM
When I studied kick boxing/muy thai type stuff we seemed to always both get in the clintch. the opponent grabs you head and you grab his back and traded knees. Lots of tugging, pushing and pulling all while in the clitch. I'm not sure i'd chose to be in that possition now though I don't want to trade knees. Elbows are good in close.

laughing tiger
07-09-2000, 02:00 PM
super posts! Dooder, I wonder if there were no gloves on...would Thai artists get into a clinch? Just a though, but I wonder how many blows one could absorb while his hand are on your shoulders...just thinking about it, that's all :-)

laughing tiger
07-09-2000, 02:01 PM
...I definately would not want to put my hands on any of your shoulders, guys! LOL (ouch!)

GinSueDog
07-09-2000, 09:28 PM
Hmmm...it all depends. If the guy is a Thai boxer and has you in the clinch or plum as it is sometimes referred to, the best thing to do is try to keep his hands in the outside position that way he has less control. If he has inside position with his hands you are going to get hit, I would then suggest crossing your arms and using your elbows and forearms to fend off some of those knees, then try doing a take down by catching his tigh and lifting. A thai boxer can fire those knees fast and hard, not to mention he can fire elbows as well from the clinch, a level one Thai boxing Kru can throw over sixty kicks and forty knees in a single round against a resisting opponent (check out Mousel's Thai boxing forum for more info). BTW, they don't grab the head, they grab the back of the neck and pull your head to there chrest while locking there elbows together. Once your in this position, they pretty much have almost total control, pushing out isn't going to help you very much.-ED

------------------
"The grappling arts imply most fights end up on the ground...take them there. The striking arts imply all fights start standing up...keep them there. The mixed martial arts imply any fight can go anywhere...be ready and able to go everywhere."-a mix martial artist