PDA

View Full Version : Shootfighting: The best art for the street?

curious
07-10-2000, 02:15 AM
This style has it all! The stand up fighting techniques of Muay Thai, along with the grappling techniques of judo, wrestling, sambo, and jiujitsu. This art semms to prepare you for any situation, Except possibly against weapons. Is this art as perfect as it seems to be?

GinSueDog
07-10-2000, 02:28 AM
Curious,
Shooto is definitly a effective system to study, there are a number of different Shooto schools available as well. The only problem that I have heard about Shooto is basically they promote finishes over position in there ground fighting and it is a little different at every school depending on who taught the instructor and where he learned it. Think of Shooto as San Shou, it is more a format open to interpretation by different schools. Still in a street situation a Shooto guy would basically clean house as all there training is basically live and aggressive.-ED

------------------
"The grappling arts imply most fights end up on the ground...take them there. The striking arts imply all fights start standing up...keep them there. The mixed martial arts imply any fight can go anywhere...be ready and able to go everywhere."-a mix martial artist

[This message has been edited by GinSueDog (edited 07-10-2000).]

Sithlord
07-10-2000, 02:37 AM
LOL!!!!!!!! I've been waiting a long time(3,000 years) for someone to bring this subject up!

First, it is not an art!

Second, though it may incorperate various pratical applications from other styles, it isn't the best thing since sliced bread!

Third, it is what it is. Meaning it is a fighting style, hence it's name "Shoot Fighting". With all "Fighting" styles that are not arts, they have their disadvantages. The grappling aspect to shoot fighting is very usefull. However, the linear concept of some of the take downs make one vunerable to non-linear attacks to the back of the neck and knees. Plus, if one goes in for a take down, someone acticipating it can render thet person off balance and then that's all she wrote!

Now if someone has both shoot fighting abilites along with real art abilities, then that person would be more well rounded as a fighter.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! the issue of weapons! In my opinion, only if a shoot fighter has diciplines in arts that teach how to dissarm an opponent w/ a weapon. Jujitsu for ex. The funny thing is that not all shoot fighters have this critical training. However, from what I've seen more and more are starting to pick it(Jujitsu) up to make themselves more rounded fighters.

C'est tout!

------------------
"Darkness has come. May the darkside of the force be with you."

-Sithlord

DragonzRage
07-10-2000, 02:54 AM
curious,

I am a Shooto practitioner in training for amateur full contact competition. I think what GinSueDog said is right on the money. It is definitely great training and I've made some vast improvements with a relatively short time of training. What I really like about Shooto is that it makes you very well rounded for all ranges of fighting (esp grappling) and has very rigorous conditioning. It fits so well with the JKD philosophy. There are a good deal of submission techniques that are aimed more towards NHB type competition than at streetfighting, but regardless of that I feel a serious shoot stylist can whip some serious arse on the street for the plain fact that he is used to fighting hard in all ranges and has really been toughened by all the conditioning and sparring. At the JKD academy that I attend I have observed that the toughest guys there are consistently the ones who crosstrain seriously in Sensei Nakamura's Shooto program (probably since Shooto guys are the ones who are training to compete).

One other thing you must keep in mind is that there are different Shoot organizations that train differently so the technical aspect may vary depending on where you train. Many Shootfighting groups such as Bart Vale's have been criticized for chasing too much submission and not enough positioning and for not having a very well grounded training regiment. I personally have no experience with them but I can tell you that under the Shooto program we are very technical and have a good emphasis on positioning. So from personal experience I can tell you that schools under the Shooto organization are great. If you are interested in getting into Shoot I would totally recommend checking out a Shooto gym.

~Max

DragonzRage
07-10-2000, 03:06 AM
Actually Sithlord raised some good points as well. Shooto is probably a fighting based sport first and a specific martial art style second. Obviously, doing Shooto and nothing else will not give you all the answers. Shoot guys can undoubtedly benefit from training in specific martial arts disciplines. Being grounded in the martial arts while conditioning and linking the different ranges together like a Shooto fighter is the best way to be.

~Max

shawn28
07-10-2000, 06:15 AM
Well I guess we all agree
that cross-training is the
best thing to do to be
an all around martial artist
or fighter..Just my opinion
not trying to fire anyone
up in here..But I think
cross-training probably the
best thing to do...

SM

curious
07-10-2000, 06:29 PM
What is the difference between shootfighting, shootboxing, and shootwrestling?

GinSueDog
07-10-2000, 08:48 PM
Curious,
They are all different names for the same thing, "Shooto." Basically, any shootfighting school you goto you will be learning from a instructor that most likely crosstrains and is simply teaching you what he finds useful. That is why Shooto schools from the Insanto Academy to Bart Vale's to some of the top japanese schools all are a bit different. In fact Sak is suppose to be a Shootfighter.-ED

------------------
"The grappling arts imply most fights end up on the ground...take them there. The striking arts imply all fights start standing up...keep them there. The mixed martial arts imply any fight can go anywhere...be ready and able to go everywhere."-a mix martial artist