PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

Ren Blade
10-31-2003, 07:11 AM
Why don't we see much Mantis being used in movies? Most of the Praying Mantis are done in the old Kung Fu movies. But how bout now? It would be fun to watch some Mantis used again in new movies. A modern piece with traditional Mantis used in the fights.

bung bo
10-31-2003, 01:24 PM
sorry, i hate to say it, (i really do) but today's audiences don't want to see anything real. although i like the matrix, all john q. public wants to see is movie fu. it would be cool to see any traditional style in a new movie, but i'm a bit partial to mantis.

Ren Blade
11-03-2003, 09:28 AM
I'm a Martial Artist that's been training for the past 13 years. I'm pursuing an acting career for the past 2 years. I've learned acting and stage combat during those past 2 years and still learning. I'm trying to get into the entertainment business little by little. Been doing little stuff like student films and commercials. Recently joined Screen Actors Guild and might be having a role in an independant film called Deadend that I auditioned for a few weeks ago.

I have plans to get into mainstream action movies and bring the old school back. Mix it up the old school with new school. I especially want to bring back Praying Mantis. I think the modern American audience can appreciate Praying Mantis. Old school choreography is harder to make up and especially harder to do for actors who have little or no training in traditional arts.

Here's a little fight I did with some friends a few weeks ago. It's little rough and could be better if we practiced this choreography for a couple more days. But our cameraman wanted to shoot right away as soon as we had the choreography memorized. That's our excuse for looking a little off. :p I'm the Asian guy in the white pants. My real name is Walter.

http://www.neo-modus.com/stuntpeople/pete/rehearsal2.mpg

Oh, and the choreography is choreographed by our friend Onassis Parangao who I hope to pull into the movie business as a fight choreographer to start off as. You guys would know Onassis if you've watched www.thekwoon.com short films.

ursa major
11-03-2003, 11:16 AM
Ren Blade I wish you success in your endeavor.

But I think it is as bung-bo says.... everyone wants movie-fu. Very few people want the truth. Even Quenton Tarantino has admitted he loves to watch and produce MA movies but has never trained any martial arts nor apparently, does he ever want to.

regards,
UM.

Ren Blade
11-03-2003, 11:25 AM
Thank you Ursa Major.

I believe I can change things. Within the next 10 years there will be a change in fight choreography of mainstream Hollywood and the perception and more truthful real human beingness of Asian men.

ursa major
11-03-2003, 01:18 PM
Ren Blade, one would hope that this kind of change ("more truthful real human beingness of Asian men") would come to pass independently of the success of your efforts.

History shows us that one man(/woman) can make a difference, can change things.

BTW: I liked the movie.

best regards,
UM.

mantis108
11-03-2003, 02:06 PM
Well, if you ever get a hold of the good old black and white Wong Fei Hung movies, you will be amazed of the trueful depiction of CMA. They were actually choregraphed and performed by real martial artists or Peking Opera experts such as Yuan Sui Tin (father of Yuan Woo Ping), Shek Kin, Kwan Doug Hing, etc... Ironically, "Once upon a time in China" is also about the heroic tales of Wang Fei Hung but with a new Wushu wire work twist to it.

I think you can make a thesis with the evolution of "Kung Fu flick and the never ending and changing appetite of movie goers (cultural trend)" and pass with flying colors.

Starting with the old B/W classics (pun intended) or even further back to stage fights. Then the Saw brothers' blood and gore. Bruce Lee's back to Realism to Post Bruce Lee Realism. The rise of Wushu phenomenon transcending to Matrix and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon craze actually breeds new concepts in heroism film genre such as "Once Upon a time in Mexico."

So from a very humble beginning, Chinese Martial performing arts flourish into mainstream pop culture. This cross-cultural steam engine is only feuled by imaginations. Does the market creats imagination or imaginations creat market? Well, may be you can prove it to us all.

Good luck with your acting career.

Mantis108

B.Tunks
11-03-2003, 04:19 PM
Nice clip. Good work, keep it up! Best of luck in the industry. I'd love to do it myself but unfortunately dont have a suitable head, if you know what I mean (a good head for radio).
It will be good if you can stick any traditional Tanglang in the movies. Go for it!
B.T

Ren Blade
11-04-2003, 07:22 AM
Thank you guys. And thank you for your blessings and advice. If you know anyone that need an Asian martial arts actor, let me know of the phone number, address and name of contact. :D

I'll definitely plug some traditional mantis on camera if I am given the opportunity.

bung bo
11-04-2003, 11:19 AM
that was cool. i think it was done well. have you also considered the censors? they might look down upon hardcore fighting. i apologize if this all sounds like i'm being a party pooper. but for what it's worth, i think your effort to bring real gong fu to mainstream film is a neat idea.best of luck!

Ren Blade
11-04-2003, 11:37 AM
Thanks. :) There's some pretty violent fights in some mainstream Hollywood films. People will always love action movies and violence in them. I think hardcore fighting will still sell no matter how much the censors don't like it.