PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, have to vent...

Merryprankster
11-02-2003, 06:38 AM
Took third in my division this weekend at the Copa Atlantica (NOT HAPPY ABOUT THIS) and put my opponent to sleep in the open before bowing out to a teammate (Decided WAY ahead of time that the persons who won their divisions took precedence over those of us who didn't).

I'm furious and here I am into the next day. I went against the same guy who I let beat me 3-2 at a different tournament so I am now 0-fer-2 against him. Worse, he beat me with the same ****ing mat strategy. I let him stall me for the first 4 minutes even though I knew he didn't have the energy to compete with my conditioning for 7 minutes straight (and he didn't--I told my teammate to bust his ass and my teammate beat him).

The difference between the top 1% and the top 5% is all mental, and champions pull the trigger from the first ****ing moment.

This weekend, I'm murdering my opponents at the NAGA...

SevenStar
11-02-2003, 07:56 AM
you'll see him again. Don't let him stall next time. Turn up the heat on him.

SevenStar
11-02-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar
you'll see him again. Don't let him stall next time. Turn up the heat on him.

Good luck at the NAGA

jun_erh
11-02-2003, 08:06 AM
underage wrestling broad (http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/2003/0928/)

MonkeySlap Too
11-02-2003, 08:41 AM
Practice diligently and intently a different strategy for him. Try to identify how he neutralized you and look how you can use THAT to set up for your move.

I'd go into more detail, but A.) you know the ground game probably much better than I do, and B.) My long winded speech on strategic options would probably be a rehash for you MP.

If you guys tape your matches, watch those tapes. And prepare that strategy. Find the psychological hole you can lead him into, and you will be victorious.

Liokault
11-02-2003, 09:28 AM
You need to work on Qi and deep breathing.

Merryprankster
11-02-2003, 11:04 AM
Practice diligently and intently a different strategy for him. Try to identify how he neutralized you and look how you can use THAT to set up for your move.

At this point, it's an issue of my mental game. My technique is fine (can always be better of course) my conditioning is fine (couldn't be better unless I became a full time athlete). But I LET this guy stall me out because I became more concerned about what HE was doing that what I was doing.

And that's an issue of training your head to a championship level. My GAME is good enough.... now, *I* have to be just as good as my game.

rogue
11-02-2003, 11:09 AM
Do good at NAGA MP. I'd say good luck but screw luck.

FatherDog
11-02-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Merryprankster

At this point, it's an issue of my mental game. My technique is fine (can always be better of course) my conditioning is fine (couldn't be better unless I became a full time athlete). But I LET this guy stall me out because I became more concerned about what HE was doing that what I was doing.

:( I've been having this same problem in rolling lately. It's got me seriously ****ed at myself, and it's probably irritating the **** out of my coach, too.

I'm spending this week trying to snap myself out of it and practice kicking it into gear as soon as the match starts. I hope I can manage it, and I hope you do, too. Good luck.

Catch ya at NAGA.

Ralphie
11-02-2003, 08:49 PM
And that's an issue of training your head to a championship level. My GAME is good enough.... now, *I* have to be just as good as my game.

Out of curiosity, do you train using any awareness type drills? If so what kind? I try a few, but would like to hear what others do as well...

Also, since you brought up the *I*, do you differentiate mental and emotional? By that, I mean, are you making mistakes because of a lapse in mental accuity, or are you becoming frustrated due to the circumstance and reacting accordingly?

MonkeySlap Too
11-02-2003, 10:16 PM
Hey MP - whats your favorite program ir author for mental toughness?

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-03-2003, 02:43 AM
now you know and knowing is half the battle. be all that you can be man, just do it.

Brad Souders
11-03-2003, 06:45 AM
Was is Justin "Quadzilla" Garcia u went against or another dude?Justin is a strong mofo but i know 100 fold that your technique and conditioning is better then his. He does do a hell of a job on using his strategy and making people do what he wants them to do if it's him.

Merryprankster
11-03-2003, 11:25 AM
Nah, it wasn't quadzilla, LOL. Although, he was there. This guy's name is Brett Thompson. He's very good--took three matches in the purple belt absolute at the world's.

*I* refers to being "there" as soon as everything starts. I have the ability to dictate the pace of the match but I was too hesitant. At purple belt, there are no easy matches. Everybody wearing a purple belt has the basics down and can do some subset of things very very well. At that point, the dividing line starts to become mental.

MS Too,

My favorite? Without a doubt, Lloyd Irvin. Shameless plug for the grappling blueprint. It's working for me, and I say that with all sincerity. His program is all about CHOICES.

Volcano Admim
11-03-2003, 12:33 PM
oh no son, i dont believe
you lost again

what did i tell you last time?
yet you never came to me for pre-fight tips as i had told you to do so...

sometimes you just sadden me, u know

you wont ever never be a champon like this

Chang Style Novice
11-03-2003, 03:55 PM
Volcano Admim is correct - you should have bitten his balls off. Or failing that turn your chin toward the elbow.

Meat Shake
11-03-2003, 04:02 PM
Hey CSN... stopped by your kwoon on saturday. Shifu Hwang is a great guy. Ya'll have a nice set up in there. Shifu Hwang hooked up my broke ass toe with some acupressure and dit da jow. :)

Chang Style Novice
11-03-2003, 04:22 PM
****, wish I'd been there.

(Well, actually I was probably watching "Intolerable Cruelty" or getting blazed for the first time in months when you dropped by, but...)

Was Denzel hanging around?

Meat Shake
11-03-2003, 11:33 PM
Who is denzel?
Im very very bad with names. :(
(I blame it on the pot.) :D

There was an old guy and a college dude. Both were very cool people.

Chang Style Novice
11-04-2003, 10:16 AM
Denzel was probably the old guy - sorta ginger hair, gray mustache, talks a lot. Has a background in japanese arts...

scotty1
11-04-2003, 10:31 AM
"You need to work on Qi and deep breathing."

Heh! Good idea!

Sounds like your dan tien's too high MP, try some horse stance, and lowering your chi. :)

Failing that try sleeping in an oxygen tent and cocaine before the match.

Seriously though MP how old are you?
How long have you been seriously training? Do you think there's an age above which competing at a high level is not really viable, with regard to recevering from injuries etc.?

Not implying that you're past it :)

Merryprankster
11-04-2003, 12:07 PM
I'm 27. There is an age past which you have to start being selective about which tournaments you enter. Then, past that, there is the inevitable slow decline. There is nothing to be done about this. I'll still compete for fun, but nothing like what I do now. I figure that if I take incredibly good care of myself, I can remain top notch till about 35. However, I'm betting that around 32 the whole kids/marriage/house thing will come crashing down around my shiny head.

Define "seriously training." I need to know what I'm supposed to live up to! :D

ShaolinTiger00
11-04-2003, 12:11 PM
the whole kids/marriage/house thing will come crashing down around my shiny head.

Welcome to my domain! :D

and you could use a mild astringent and loofah to stop oily buildup. it will help take off that shine... I like Neutogena facial scrub.

-metrosexual tip # 28

Meat Shake
11-04-2003, 02:13 PM
Bahahaha.
Family guys.
:)

Edit: CSN, yeah Im guessing it was Denzel there, was telling us about his time in Korea. I like the little no inch punch plastic board for breaking. :)