PDA

View Full Version : David Lin Seminar Recap

Meat Shake
11-02-2003, 12:40 PM
Awesome. I feel like I got hit by a train.
Started at 9 AM, went till 1 PM. Covered assorted throws, controls, entries.
2-6 was a "tournament"... " " because no ranks were awarded, to keep it more civil. I really liked it. After 3 seconds of being on the ground without making someone tap, Paul (sifu that hosted the seminar/tourney) would run in and start beating on both of them. It was great. :)
Well worth the $.

CaptinPickAxe
11-02-2003, 01:16 PM
My personal favorite had to be one of the shoulder strike/ leg siezing techniques. I also liked the the shouldering tech. we learned... Lots of bad ass stuff to learn. Plus went to Tai Chi People with our Sifu and met Shifu Hwang, a very nice man.

Yesterday was a great day:D

neigung
11-02-2003, 04:14 PM
Shoulder strike with leg seizing sounds cool, care to explain it?
I practice it with an elbow to the neck or face.

Meat Shake
11-02-2003, 04:18 PM
Kinda like shouldering from taiji... just kinda come under the punch and shoulder charge their ribs, and sieze their leg.
I think. There were a few ways... :confused:

Inner leg hooking is always fun. I like that one. That and Shaving. Some of my favorites.
:)

CrippledAvenger
11-02-2003, 05:56 PM
Shoulder striking is fun. WD and I played a little with that last class. Neat how you can walk a guy backwards with shoulder strikes during freewrestling. It's almost as cool as the Raise or the Cannonball, in my book.

Anyhow, you guys are very lucky to have a chance to meet up with David Lin. The man is scary, and in that good way. His arms look like support beams wrapped with steel cables. Crazy.

Maybe it's time for a "What's your favorite throw" thread, eh?

Oso
11-03-2003, 06:49 AM
i'm jealous.

I participated in a David Lin seminar perhaps 4 years ago.

I've suggested to my jujitsu teachers that it would be a good seminar to bring to town, especially since we're so close to ATL.

The karate/jujitsu guys had never heard of SJ.

Kinda like shouldering from taiji... just kinda come under the punch and shoulder charge their ribs, and sieze their leg.

entry sounds like 'slant flying' with the variant of picking up the leg. Where did you take the throw???

Meat Shake
11-03-2003, 10:12 AM
Out to a fancy dinner then back to my place.

MasterKiller
11-03-2003, 10:34 AM
bah dum dum

Meat Shake
11-03-2003, 10:46 AM
;)
We just worked into leg seizing, then stopped. All the throws from there suck, (to be thrown, great if you are the thrower) so we didnt work them. No one particularly felt like landing on their face over and over.

Kristoffer
11-03-2003, 11:30 AM
That shoulder strike, care to explain it better? U just seize one leg?

Meat Shake
11-03-2003, 11:45 AM
Do you know what shouldering from Taiji is?
Same thing.. come from the outside, shoulder their ribs to push them back, and scoop their lead leg at about the knee while shouldering. Pick up their leg, and you have tons of options as to what to do with them.

Oso
11-03-2003, 05:37 PM
'ey meat, you're doing chen style taiji, right?

have you been given a name for the move w/ the shoulder strike?

just want to compare notes.

Oso
11-03-2003, 07:58 PM
'ey meat, you're doing chen style taiji, right?

have you been given a name for the move w/ the shoulder strike?

just want to compare notes.

Meat Shake
11-03-2003, 11:29 PM
Its shouldering or .... ugh... forgot. Ill have to ask again on saturday.

Chang Style Novice
11-04-2003, 10:27 AM
Shoulder strike is "kau," right?