PDA

View Full Version : Pavel's e-books

trevorstalker
11-03-2003, 02:44 AM
I know some of you guys here train by the PTP method. I too am considering on buying this book. Thing is I can only afford one of these books this month, so, what would be better to buy first, the PTP book or the Russian Kettlebell Challenge (I'm also mentioning the KB book 'cause I'll be making some kettlebells this weekend)? I'd be relying mostle on bodyweight, KBs and some free weights (the gear I have home -- sorry, no time to hit the gym).

Peace!

yenhoi
11-03-2003, 06:46 AM
You can probably find all the info from his PTP book on this frorum by using the search function. The book(s) really arent worth the cash.

:D

trevorstalker
11-03-2003, 08:33 AM
Really?!

Everybody is always praising about Pavel´s books... I thought they´d be worth the money...

:confused:

You have any of them?

fa_jing
11-03-2003, 10:18 AM
I have the Russian Kettlebell Challenge DVD and it is great. I highly recommend it or the video. Don't know much about the books, but they have some good stuff. Still they are right, you can go here or to Pavel's forum and get most of the information.

Ford Prefect
11-03-2003, 11:28 AM
Pavel's books and video's are overpriced for the content they contain. However, they present the information in a very simple and coherent manner and provide a good stepping stone for somebody that is looking to become more knowledgeable about training.

Toby
11-03-2003, 07:18 PM
I bought PTP and Bulletproof Abs. I already knew a lot of the ab stuff, and picked up a lot of PTP before buying the book. No regrets here, though. I think they were worth the price. I'm also considering buying Relax into Stretch (?) or whatever his stretching book is called.

I can give you a quick summary of how I do PTP if you like - save you the money until you want to buy it. I do benchpress, squat, deadlift and weighted pullups. Each exercise every day. 2 sets of 5 for each. 2nd set is 90% of the first set. Increase 2.5kg every day. I do 2 week linear cycles, Mon-Fri. Pavel likes 2 exercises for his PTP. Deadlift and either shoulder press or floor press. That's it. Other points worth remembering: crush the bar when holding it. No breathing while lifting i.e. take a breath and brace your ab muscle hard. Suck your arse in tight. Suck your groin in tight. Use your mental strength to help your physical strength. Use good form.

Hope that helps.

IronFist
11-03-2003, 07:26 PM
How are you making kettlebells?

trevorstalker
11-04-2003, 08:33 AM
Toby,

Since you seem to be such a helpful fella :D , I think I'll be PMing you for some additional information. I'll be going with the KB Challenge book them...

IronFist,

I got the original idea from this http://geocities.com/briangl2002/kettlebell.htm site. I'll probably be doing some minor modifications to this design in order to build it.

My other idea is to build it from a cast iron ball (like a cannonball, there's a few in my lab's warehouse used as counterweight on an old equipment), that weights aprox. 15 kg (barely a pood) and some mild steel rods. The only problem is that when it comes to weld cast iron it really is a pain in the a$$, so I'll have to figure out first how to come around this first (I'll probably braze the d@mn thing). Since I believe the geometry of the kettlebell plays an important role, I'd rather do it according to this design.

Peace!

Toby
11-04-2003, 07:14 PM
No problem trev. PM away! I've gotta say, though, Ford Prefect and IronFist know a lot more about training than me, so if it's a general question post it to everyone so they can provide help. I'm happy to help where I can, though.

Toby

Vash
11-04-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
Pavel's books and video's are overpriced for the content they contain.

The previous stament issued by the Department of Redundancy Department.

Again, though, Pavel's books really aren't worth it. His training is, though.

:confused:

Ford Prefect
11-05-2003, 05:40 AM
Yeah yeah yeah. Thanks, Carlin. ;)

Pavel's training is in his books. Pavel's books aren't worth the price. Pavel's training is worth the price. wtf? Got logic?

Vash
11-05-2003, 01:03 PM
You caught that, eh? Oh, well. :p

trevorstalker
11-05-2003, 05:23 PM
Toby,

Hey thanx in advance! Well then, what's Pavel's perspective on calisthenics? What's the best way to take more advantage of these exercises? As I forementioned, aside from a few free weights, a pullup bar, some chairs and the (still to come) KBs, I don't have too many gear to train at home (and gym is still a no-go).

Ford, Iron and anyone else, feel free to drop a line anytime.

IronFist
11-05-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
wtf? Got logic?

rofl!!!!

:D :D :D

Toby
11-05-2003, 08:15 PM
Pavel's perspective on calisthenics? Probably the complete opposite philosophy to his. He advocates low reps, low sets, few exercises performed often (every day). The focus is on functional strength, not on aerobic fitness and not on size building although he does have a workout called "bear" for mass building.

What free weights do you have? Pavel's advice is to get a barbell and weights for around US$150, or less if you get them 2ndhand. With that, he advises doing deadlifts and shoulder press or floor press. That's all you need - a barbell and weights. Deadlift targets back and legs and core. The presses target shoulders and chest. I went a bit further and got a power rack and bench as well so I can do benchpress, squats and pullups as well as deadlifts. Spent a fair bit more than US$150 though.

With your current equipment and no more cash (except buying a bit of rope to hang weights off you) you can target your back with weighted pullups (a great exercise). You can target your legs with weighted pistols (although I struggle to do unweighted pistols). You can target your chest and shoulders with weighted dips if you have stable and strong enough chairs. I'd hate to think of the chairs collapsing, though, so be very careful with that one.

Bear in mind that PTP is purely strength. IronFist had bad results with endurance after doing PTP for a while. For that reason, you might like to do some endurance stuff as well.

rubthebuddha
11-05-2003, 09:45 PM
i'd say use your (soon to arrive) kbs for much of your core strength and any endurance work maybe three days per week, and on the other three (day 7 = rest), do your big-muscle exercises -- like pistols as toby suggested, dips, pullups, and deadlifts.

a tip on dips -- i don't like chairs, period. rather, i use a kitchen counter or other area that has a corner of more than 45 degrees. counters are built more solidly than most chairs, and the likelyhood of them shifting on you is close to nil.

good luck. :)

trevorstalker
11-06-2003, 03:14 PM
Thanx for all the support guys! I'm setting up my workouts (starting next week with the new scheme), will probably be including some KBs exercises too. As for calisthenics Toby, I'll probably be doing them every other day, alternating with the PTP method. For the moment, PTP will be mostly based on KBs. I do have a barbell and some plates (I think it all weights up to 70kg, not sure), so I'll be throwing in some barbell exercises too.

Rub*.*, I had that awful experience once, not on dips, but doing elevated pushups (two chairs supporting one each arm, and a third supporting my feet). The one's on the arms collapsed and I went straight to the ground. To top it off, the floor wasn't carpet, it was plain ceramic... really nice... :D

Peace!