PDA

View Full Version : where to send mail?

Crash
11-03-2003, 09:22 AM
I've been a subscriber to the magazine for a while (1 yr), and would like to write a letter. Is there a specific email or snail mail address to send it to? I could not find one in the magazine. Thanks.

GeneChing
11-03-2003, 10:48 AM
You can send letters to mail@KungFuMagazine.com or snail mail to Kung Fu Magazine, 40748 Encyclopedia Circle, Fremont, CA 94538. Thanks for your feedback! :)

Crash
11-03-2003, 01:02 PM
Wait a sec...you're the associate publisher, right? Would it be more prudent to say what I have to say here? I don't want to take too much of your time though so if you prefer I send a separate email, that's cool.

GeneChing
11-03-2003, 04:55 PM
We don't publish forum posts as letters in the magazine. That's what this forum is for. But we do publish letters (and emails) that are submittted to the above addresses sometimes. Of course, that's not really a dialog. It's more of a submit, and if we like it, we publish it.

So here or there or anywhere, the choice is yours.

Crash
11-03-2003, 05:27 PM
Oh, well I sent an email. I'm not to concerned about it making the magazine though, I merely had a minor suggestion. First, I think the magazine is great. I've only been subscribing for a year, but the content is great and I can easily see myself as a long time subscriber. Anywhos, I just thought it might be cool if there were features now and again about health and nutrition for MAists. There's a lot of conflicting information out there, and some of the sources are not very trustworthy. Most people (like me) know about the "food pyramid" and meal planning basics, but for people who want to take things a bit more seriously, there's a lot of stuff to pile through, and most of it are gimmicks. Granted the people here are quite a bit of help, but I'd still like to see some information compiled by a more authoritative source. I figure if I can trust anyone to have proper information about health and nutrition, then its other serious martial artists, especially if they know about TCM, and especially if they run a magazine. :D

So that's basically what I said in the email. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I've yet to see any other magazine where an associate publisher would give the readers the time of day, nevermind any kind of dialogue.

Edit: I just got your email, that was quick. There was a backlash just for posting some recipes? Why?

I have to admit though, I was a bit concerned about the problems for the magazine if they started producing some health information. Someone could follow directions slightly wrong, get hurt, and then sue or something. However, I figure with the appropriate disclaimers this wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for considering it though, and writing back so quick. I didn't even expect a response this week. It's unfortunate that you had to deal with that kind of flak from the readers. I guess I'll have to find another reliable source of information in the sea of fad-obsessive-GNC-consuming-believe-everything-they-read umm....people... :)

GeneChing
11-03-2003, 05:46 PM
In the year 2000 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/mlist.php?magyr=2000), we went monthly. It was the only year that we were monthly, so we did a lot of experimentation with our content. We had a regular recipe column with the odd title of Buddha's Kitchen. I never understood that title myself, since only a few of the recipes were in any way Buddhist. Also imagine something like Jesus' Kitchen or Muhammed's Kitchen. Anyway that's just my little rant, being Buddhist. I think the overall reaction from our readers was - this is a magazine about martial arts. That's it. That's what we want. Well, I can't argue with that. So even though those experiments actually lowered our sales, they were successful in telling us where not to go. As for GNC, our previous distributor had put all their energy into getting us into GNC. It never happened. Too bad, because surveys show that our readers are interested in vitamins...

Like I said in the email to you, we do offer TCM recipes in our horoscope section. As for general health and diet, we've been shying away from that beyond those recipes and qigong stuff. Disclaimers aren't really a problem - we already have one and in comparison to some of the martial stuff we publish, nobody's going to sue us for some health thingy.

Most general issues you can learn in general magazines, and as much as we'd like to be a general magazine, we're a specialty mag, which is why you can have a dialog with the Assoc. Pub right here on our forum.

Anyway, thanks for your input. We really do appreciate it.