PDA

View Full Version : Quadzilla: Deep squats

Ford Prefect
11-03-2003, 12:37 PM
Well, I've basically always trained powerlifting style with some boughts of bodybuilding to gain weight. Even when I was training bb'ing, I still squatted powerlifting style with a wide stance and only going parellel.

I'd just taken a couple days to recover because I was showing some signs of over-training, and today I felt that I'd do some light leg work to keep active and prevent detraining. I figured I'd do some stuff I hadn't done in a while so I did some deep back and front squats as well as lunges. My quads are fried right now!

I'd do a set of 6 reps back squatting, rest a minute and front squat for the same. I only made it to 185 before I decided that if I went any higher it'd turn from light work to heavy work, and I usually squat a far cry more than that. Its always eye openning when you spot a strength deficiency.

IronFist
11-03-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
and I usually squat a far cry more than that.

Heh, not me. :(

Ford Prefect
11-04-2003, 07:30 AM
Heh. Well, I'm gonna start deep squatting like a mofo now. It winded me a he11 of a lot more too. I can't wait to see what 20-rep'ers are like. *vomits*

IronFist
11-04-2003, 07:12 PM
20 rep squats are crazy. I got huge headaches every time I got to like rep 13 and had to quit the program. I made a thread about it here. I think it should be around last December if you want to read it.

But everyone else seems to have good results with them, so good luck :D

rubthebuddha
11-04-2003, 09:37 PM
why were you getting ze headaches? and have you gotten them doing other types of exercise?

IronFist
11-05-2003, 12:45 AM
I've never gotten headaches like that before until I did the 20 rep squats. I made sure I wasn't tensing my neck muscles, either. The headache was right in the back where the skull meets the spine.

Ford Prefect
11-05-2003, 05:36 AM
Yeah I remember that. I've done 20-rep'ers before without a problem. I have a pretty good 8-week program with them.

FatherDog
11-05-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
I've never gotten headaches like that before until I did the 20 rep squats. I made sure I wasn't tensing my neck muscles, either. The headache was right in the back where the skull meets the spine.

I got headaches exactly like that one time doing a regular set of hindu squats. It was right after I got neck cranked really hard the night before. I waited a week and went back to squats, and felt fine.

Maybe you need to build your neck up some?