PDA

View Full Version : shuai chiao

GreyMystik
12-08-2000, 09:43 PM
what do you guys think of shuai chiao? do you think it's very street effective? comprehensive? have any of you used it or know anyone who has?
thanks in advance...

dwid
12-10-2000, 05:06 PM
He used a very simple skill known as "Dumping" when the guy attacked him which is pretty much absorbing and redirecting someone so you're dropping them on their head. Unfortunately, he then made the mistake of forgetting one of the primary tenets of the art, which is to always assume you have multiple opponents, and while he continued to lock the guy up he got nailed by the dudes friend. He managed to get away though, and had he employed the art as he was taught, he could have fought both the guys. The idea is to throw and then ready yourself. If a guy comes at you twice, drop him on his head or whatever until he gets a clue. Anyway, the Shuai Chiao club here at Ohio State is very good, and the people really seem to know how to apply their stuff.

The way of the samurai is in desperateness. Ten men or more cannot kill such a man. Common sense will not accomplish great things. Simply become insane and desperate. - Hagakure

JWTAYLOR
12-10-2000, 05:37 PM
GreyMystic,

John Wong here in Austin is one of the best Shuai Chiow teachers in the U.S. He teaches over at the IBM park.

Also, check out Shifu Paul Hwang, who teaches Chang Style Tai Chi Chuan, which is heavily Shuai Chiow influenced. Hwang is located across from Dobie Mall on the Drag. His number is 512-263-1503. However, when anyone expresses an interest in Shuai Jiow he sends them to John Wong. He'll have contact information for Wong.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

MonkeySlap Too
12-10-2000, 09:40 PM
Shuai Chiao is excellent training for the street. I have used it both for sport and to defend myself. It's wonderful and the training is logical.

John Wong is excellent, and is well rounded in other CMA as well. Sifu Wong's students are pretty good scrappers, I recently had the pleasure of meeting the new crop in Chicago. As always, top notch.

I reccomend going to David Lins (Atlanta GA., not New York City) site (I forgot the URL, sorry) and ordering his tapes as well.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

8stepsifu
12-11-2000, 02:31 AM
8 Step has all the Shai Chiao throws and counters, but they are slightly modified to blend with the system. Using typical Shuai Chiao throws, I have thrown 300 lb guys and I'm 180. The throws are mean. There are several types of Shuai Chiao, the kind we use is called "Fast Wrestling" which characterized itself in that it yeilds to the opponent and used their force to throw them. The nice thing is that if you don't quite get the throw you can punch them and they go easier when they are dazed. Shuai Chiao gives you awesome balance and rooting. Today I was on one leg that I picked up from an attemted sweep and they guy stepped behind be and tried to throw me, but using actual body mechanics I used the picked up leg to hook his, turn maybe 20 degrees and throw him. And this was on one leg. I've also tossed lots of wrestlers using shuai chiao, they have no idea how I got there or how I threw them with some of the more advanced throws. Both 8 Step and Tai Chi that I study include Shuai Chiao and it is interesting how both get set up for the throws based on their system princibles. Both make people say "What the F*ck" as they are being thrown

8Step Sifu