PDA

View Full Version : Counters to specific techniques

Falcor
11-05-2003, 03:46 PM
I remember hearing stories once upon a time that back in the day, certain techniques in certain arts were designed to counter specific techniques in other arts. Has anyone heard anything similar? Do you know of any examples?

Nick
11-06-2003, 04:35 AM
Any grappling is a prime example. The clinch and sprawl to counter a tackle.

Later...

Ray Pina
11-06-2003, 03:44 PM
We do train with other styles in mind ... specifically, the aim is to be able to handle the best each style has to offer ... Example: how to stop the Tai Boxer's kick?

Most of my classmates have studied numerous other styles and/or are teachers already. It's good to know how to handle what's out there if you're going out to fight. I'm training to beat trained fighters. Though the eradict behavior of a nobody on the street can be dangerous too .... but so far (knock on wood) so good.

SevenStar
11-06-2003, 06:40 PM
speaking as an infighter, I'd be more worried about the knees and elbows than the roundhouse kick. However, I see the point you're trying to make.

My personal philosophy? screw your style's best technique. I really don't have time to train to stop ONE specific technique, unless I'm getting ready for my next fight, and I know that the technique is something he uses very effectively.

I'm not gonna train to stop a WC chain punch, a tkd axe kick, a shotokan reverse punch, etc. I'm just going to train. When I fight you, I make you play my game. Otherwise, I'll be so busy looking for your style's certain technique, and end up getting KTFO by something I wasn't expexting...

As to the original question though, yeah, I've heard that. one similar example is judo. Kano's bread and butter was uki goshi (floating hip throw). his top student eventually caught on to the technique and would step around it. Kano then devised harai goshi (sweeping hip throw). from there, his student figured out how to counter and Kano came up with hane goshi (springing hip throw). Dunno how true the story is, but it aligns with judo's principle of maximum result with minimum effort, or maximum efficiency.

SevenStar
11-06-2003, 06:48 PM
yeah, it's true.

http://www.judoinfo.com/haraigo.htm

Tak
11-07-2003, 12:41 PM
I try to use the "move out of the way" technique as much as possible to counter most techniques. I've heard that the "hit them before they can hit you with it" is also popular.

No_Know
11-08-2003, 01:26 PM
I heard that-ish. There are perhaps better examples but Snake over Dragon and Leopard over Tiger. In general.

Praying mantis to combat mid to long range styles...Perhaps