PDA

View Full Version : footwork and yipman

russellsherry
11-05-2003, 04:42 PM
hi guys , i was reading , leung tings book roots of wing chu a very well done book and sifu lerng tingtalks how yip man held the footwork back yip man also said footwork is the key to deafeating another wing chun man what do peole thing peace russellsherry

yuanfen
11-05-2003, 06:50 PM
Although like many books there is a lot of self serving in the book-but all things considered- its not a bad book to have in one's library.

black and blue
11-06-2003, 05:35 AM
Well, having recently made the shift to WT from my previous organisation, Kamon (www.kamonwingchun.com), there are certainly differences in the footwork.

In addition to the change in weighting, the methods of stepping are very different. (Line of the feet, lifting of the foot, angles etc).

In my previous organisation we also didn't have the sideling stance.

In many ways its back to square one for me, hehehe ;)

l@zylee
11-06-2003, 06:03 AM
hey black and blue,

Just out of interest is there any particular reason why you moved from Kamon?

Cheers

Lee:p

black and blue
11-06-2003, 06:19 AM
Hi

Well, a mixture of reasons.

Firstly, a potential location change next year which will be a big move. It would be impossible for me to carry on training at Kamon when this happens.

Secondly, and this is the art-based reason, I wanted more detail - more theory and concept to what I'm learning.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Kamon organisation. Great people, good fighters, good self defence, frightening application from Kevin Chan - all of which I respect and appreciate.... I was just looking for more of the 'art'.

:)

As Yuanfen says: "The Devil is in the Details".... I want more of the details.

The move to WT is a big shift. Having to re-evaluate how I move and why I am moving the way I am. But it's cool.

[Censored]
11-06-2003, 11:13 AM
Exactly what footwork does Leung Ting have that no other Yip Man student has? Just name the step.

Sam
11-06-2003, 03:14 PM
Fut Sao Wing Chun Kuen Siu Baat Gwa footworks are circular, angular, and straight entering. Circular hand techniques are also unique to the style. James Cama Sifu has opened the door. http://www.futsaoyongchunkuen.com/handfootforms.htm

russellsherry
11-06-2003, 03:53 PM
hi guys i was sot of refering to what impotance yip man made of foootwok but it is interesting to see the the driffent ways of doing things each family has . peace russellsherry

Miles Teg
11-06-2003, 04:48 PM
Reply to censored:

The sideling step of course! WT is the only wing chun with a step that is called the sideling step.

Having done WT I think the footwork is good. Now I train 50/50. And obviously there is a big difference.

The way I see it is that YM obviously taught different ways so that is why we have such a range of differences. The main differences in approach, I think are just dictated by what is required to move in 100/0 format and likewise for 50/50.

As Ling TIng, at one point, studying from the same person who taught Ken Chung and Keng Chung uses 100/0, could anyone who has experienced the 2 different schools comment on the differences in footwork?

yuanfen
11-06-2003, 04:49 PM
IMO- Footwork was very important to Ip Man.
Once the slt is sufficiently internalised- evrything else is full of footwork-- CK, Biu jee, mok jong, bot jam do and the kwan moves.

fa_jing
11-06-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Miles Teg
Reply to censored:

The sideling step of course! WT is the only wing chun with a step that is called the sideling step.

Who cares what it's called in pseudo-English?? What is the step?

yuanfen
11-06-2003, 05:03 PM
Miles- I am one of the 50-50 guys in chum kiu. I dont know what
the sideling tsep is--- but part from names we sidestep several different ways. Lots of footwork.
But in application depending on spacing, timing and terrain
many kinds of adaptations are needed,
joy

anerlich
11-06-2003, 05:38 PM

WT might be the only branch that CALLS that step the sideling step, but it sure ain't the only one that steps that way.

rubthebuddha
11-06-2003, 05:55 PM
joy -- details on the sideling step, for better or worse ... ;)

for left sideling:
feet are shoulder-width apart
feet are turned 45° to the left (thus, parallel)
torso is 45° as well (thus, shoulders face same direction as toes point)
body weight is on right leg, sunk as usual (good posture, spine above heel)
gaze is "forward." if you faced a mirror, then your body turned 45° to the eft, you would still be facing the mirror.

from this stance, keeping gaze forward, lift left foot just a little bit, place it a bit to the left of where it was first planted, and using adductor muscles, squeeze the right leg and, thus the column of torso resting on it, left so feet are back to shoulder width.

pardon if this explanation sounds overly rudimentary -- that isn't the intent. i just kept it simple to avoid confusion.

this step is found in the chum kiu, stepping thrice in each direction after the first kick with that respective leg. hands go from double tan sau to bong sau/wu sau and back.

i've not seen someone from your family perform CK, so i'm not sure how it would compare/contrast to what you teach, or what equivalent your feet have in their repertoire. regardless, happy training. :)

rubthebuddha
11-06-2003, 05:59 PM
WT might be the only branch that CALLS that step the sideling step, but it sure ain't the only one that steps that way. methinks andrew's right on this one. i'm curious what names other families have for this step, if only to fill my head with more terms. ;)

kj
11-06-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
joy -- details on the sideling step, for better or worse ... ;)

for left sideling:
feet are shoulder-width apart
feet are turned 45° to the left (thus, parallel)
torso is 45° as well (thus, shoulders face same direction as toes point)
body weight is on right leg, sunk as usual (good posture, spine above heel)
gaze is "forward." if you faced a mirror, then your body turned 45° to the eft, you would still be facing the mirror.

from this stance, keeping gaze forward, lift left foot just a little bit, place it a bit to the left of where it was first planted, and using adductor muscles, squeeze the right leg and, thus the column of torso resting on it, left so feet are back to shoulder width.

pardon if this explanation sounds overly rudimentary -- that isn't the intent. i just kept it simple to avoid confusion.

this step is found in the chum kiu, stepping thrice in each direction after the first kick with that respective leg. hands go from double tan sau to bong sau/wu sau and back.

FWIW. It "sounds" very similar to what we do in Chum Kiu also, with perhaps some minor difference to a trained eye. I don't know a special name for that step.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

yuanfen
11-07-2003, 04:48 AM
Rub the Buddha- Thanks for giving meaning to your "sideling" step. I don't use that name. The name could be unique but the
idea isnt though there might be some differences in the details.
Again, thanks much.

Phil Redmond
11-07-2003, 09:09 AM
This link has the TWC Chum Kiu footwork.
http://www.wingchunkwoon.com/empty.asp

rubthebuddha
11-07-2003, 11:03 AM
joy -- welcome. i don't use the name. i just tell people, "step" and they imitate what step i just took.

kathy jo -- always minor differences, but i'd wager more families have this step than don't.

phil -- nice diagram. for the step? just pick the left foot up, step further to the left and drag the right foot in (as well as the body that's over that right leg). btw -- when you're in vancouver, feel free to give a shout. i'm right across the border back stateside.

-david

russellsherry
11-09-2003, 04:28 PM
hi guys yes i was taught the wt step as well also my first sifu was big on footwork inclueiding the special reverse footwork i think footwork comes in handy if that person relieas on chi sau to much peace russellsherry

Phil Redmond
11-09-2003, 09:20 PM
Hi, I'm not sure if you were asking me about dragging the foot or if you drag the foot. Anyway, TWC doesn't teach dragging the foot while stepping. The terrain may not allow dragging/sliding.
I will contact you when I head to the Northwest.

rubthebuddha
11-10-2003, 11:41 AM
phil -- i was just saying that we drag ze foot. i only plan on getting attacked on smooth floors, so terrain won't be a problem for me. ;)

Miles Teg
11-11-2003, 09:31 PM
Sorry!
I know that the step in itself is not unique to WT I was just poking fun at the name: [The sidling step/stance]

.....it just sounds kind of ....funny