PDA

View Full Version : Your Kwoon and Fees!

T'ai Ji Monkey
11-05-2003, 04:45 PM
Hi, just curious what does your kwoon charge and what do you get for it?

Over here I am paying about $20 per month for one 2+hrs lesson per week + a once of fee of $20 to join the society.

We train in the sports gym of a primary school or a public kendo-hall if the school needs their facilities.

In addition we also receive free newsletters from the society, access to the BBS on the Web-Site, discounts on seminars/t-shirts/suits and trips for international conventions as well as free memorial photos from events that we partook in.

If we need to skip a month or two of training our monthly fee drops down to $6 for that duration to keep the membership current.

Overall I think we are a getting a fair deal for our buck.

Starchaser107
11-05-2003, 05:04 PM
Adults Kung Fu Class:

Mon-Fri :
6:45-7:30PM

Sat open class
10:00am-12:00pm

for $2,500 est JAD = $42.08 USD

ahem (edit) : thats monthly rate :) , almost forgot

joedoe
11-05-2003, 05:27 PM
$50 membership per year (helps cover insurance costs), $7 per lesson.

Ikken Hisatsu
11-05-2003, 07:03 PM
first two lessons free, after that 2.50 a lesson up to 4 times a month, any more than that is a flat rate of 12.50 a month. 12.50 for gradings and 5 bucks a year for membership (card that lets you train at any kwoon in the country and buy weapons)

this is translated from NZ currency to american btw, so in our currency its twice what I wrote above. and yes, you do have to have some kind of license to buy hard weapons (like metal swords and wooden nunchaku (or chaka or whatever) in this country. lessons are from 6- 7:30, although us more dedicated people are there at about 5:40 for some extra warm up and practice

Vash
11-05-2003, 07:47 PM
I'm not sure what our dues are . . .

Haven't had to pay in so long.

Get free lessons here once you get Shodan (or Shodan Ho). I was a brown belt, though, when I was told I could teach the kids class in exchange for my monthly dues.

Party on!

(Maybe one day I'll be healed enough to get back into working out in the adult's class!)

Meat Shake
11-05-2003, 08:01 PM
For SC...I pay...the low low rate of... nothing! We train 2 times a week for 2 hours, and the training IMO, is absolutely top notch. I feel very privelaged to work under sifu kirk. BJJ I train for free as well, 2 times a week, for 2 hours. Chen style, is 50$ a month for 1 class a week, saturdays from 9-noon, more classes available once I advance. Sifu Sal is a badass too. :)

Cachete
11-05-2003, 08:41 PM
Here in Lima Peru i pay around 20 bucks a month, classes are:

Monday and THrusday 7:30pm to 10 pm

Saturdays 4pm to 7 pm

Our Sifu wants us to practice at least 2 times a week to keep things good

Ming Yue
11-05-2003, 08:48 PM
$50 a month for 3 classes a week, 1.5 - 2hrs per class. I get a little break on that price and/or private lessons for helping out with kid's class.

I've also just started training at another school in town and looks like I may be able to sometimes swap tuition there for some graphic design work.

Shaolin Dude
11-05-2003, 10:37 PM
$900 a year
3 classes a week
1-2 hours a class

yu shan
11-05-2003, 11:01 PM
$75 monthly= Four classes a week two hours per class. Plus a Saturday class weapons only two hours.

You ought to check Ming Yue`s GD work thru her web, awesome work, I`m a customer. :)

Bluesman
11-05-2003, 11:10 PM
And the Tae Kwon Do schools get 75.00 to 120.00 a month.:eek:
I don't know what you get for the 120.00 but your wallet must be lighter.

Ikken Hisatsu
11-05-2003, 11:32 PM
120 bucks- jesus, thats ten times what I pay.

Vash
11-05-2003, 11:55 PM
Dang. 120 bucks was a paycheck at hollywood.

T'ai Ji Monkey
11-05-2003, 11:59 PM
$120 a month ain't too bad, I have seen kwoons that charge $35 a lesson (not even private).
:D

And they are minting it because of the name of the person that taught the Instructor.
;)

Said to be a very good kwoon, but alas not for my little purse.

UK MONK
11-06-2003, 03:39 AM
at the Allan Winner Academy we pay

£50/ $83 for the insurance per year

£12/$20 for the t-shirt

£50/$83 for the suit whitch is made by hand by his wife and you have to get your own material:eek:

then it is £40/$67 to grade and we grade once at the end of the year:eek:

because im a student i dont pay as much as the others i only pay £95/$159 a month for 2 lessons a week at 2hours each lesson and the others pay £120/$201 a month and if we miss a lesson we dont get the money back:eek: :eek: :eek:

that is a total of = £1.292/$2.167 for one year :eek: and the others pay £1.592/$2.671 per year

but the academy is the best in England

Judge Pen
11-06-2003, 08:13 AM
I pay $40 bucks a month for 2.5 hours on Monday, 2.5 hours on Thursday and 1.5 hours on Wednesday.

I can also go to any other class offered by another SD teacher for free. I usually go to Saturday sparring class for 3 hours.

MasterKiller
11-06-2003, 09:26 AM
I don't pay anything. I have a key and unlimited access to the school.

brothernumber9
11-06-2003, 09:29 AM
where I train I think the fee breaks down to somewhere around $80/mo. this covers any class the student wants to come to between 4pm and 9 or 10pm mon thru friday and between 10am to 3 or 4 pm saturday. tai chi is a separate curriculum at around $30 per month. Kids pay less for classes although I don't know how much and family members get discounts too. After about 3 to 6 months most students are able to go to any class they want on any day. The school is also open for private lessons and open class times (usually for instructors) between 11-4pm on weekdays. Theres a fee for grading that simply covers the purchase of a sash and certificate. I don't know how much it is. There are somewhere around 7 basics classes for 1hr each per week, 8 or 9 handset classes for 1 hr each per week, 3 weapons classes for 1 hr each, 2 sparring classes for 3 to 6 hrs per week (most ppl go for about 1.5 to 2 hrs per week) tai chi 2 or 3 times a week for 3 or so hours per week, and lion dance once a week for 1and1/2 hours. We used to be half the price when we had a much smaller location and the mortgage and/or rent wasn't even 1/10 of what it is now but we got a much much huger location now and real estate prices around here have nearly doubled over the last 4 years. Regardless you can still get a lot of bang for your buck here. There's also constanct programs for incentives and kick backs for credit towards uniforms and supply purchases and tournament/travel costs for different events.

Judge Pen
11-06-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller

Show off! :p

Ming Yue
11-06-2003, 09:54 AM

well sure, but do they let you work out when you're done cleaning?

:p

SaMantis
11-06-2003, 11:43 AM
I paid a one-time fee of $160,000 and in just 3 short months was awarded the coveted Black Sash of the Kung Fu Master.

I'm currently studying Snake, Crane, Tiger, Mantis and Panther styles via an exclusive videotape series (each just 3 easy payments of $199.95) and upon completion I will be rated a 9th dan black belt in each discipline.

I've also been contacted by Master Sifu Aristo Aragon and will soon be the chief U.S. exponent of ACAMAC ultimate martial arts system and then will be the most undefeatable!

(He still hasn't given me a price, or maybe he did, because his reply e-mail is 20 pages long, but I'm sure it will be reasonable.)

;)

:D :D

SevenStar
11-06-2003, 11:54 AM
At one of the judo clubs I attend, it's $8 a month, and I have a key.

at the other school, it's $75/month for unlimited judo, bjj and muay thai. The only real 'limit' is when we feel like leaving. There have been days where we trained till midnight.

Water Dragon
11-06-2003, 11:59 AM
Muay Thai is $ 40.00/month there are 4 2 hour classes a week, I usually make 2.

I never paid for Shuai Chiao and don't plan on charging for the forseeable future. If I do, it'll probably be between $ 25.00 - $ 40.00/month. I still have to finsih up my responsibility to my teacher and teach the art to 3 people at no charge. That's 2 more to go.

Meat Shake, You definately are paying for the SC, just not cash. Your payment is in Blood, Sweat, and Tears.

norther practitioner
11-06-2003, 12:05 PM

Same deal.. teach the beginners and help teach the kickboxing..

I'll buy supplies for the school every once in a while and take my shirfu out for a meal here and there.

I think we say $120/month, but you get your first month free if you do 3 months.. so it ends up being $80/month... If you call me or shirfu we're pretty open on when you can train extra. Before Taiji Legacy the school was open (because I was there) 20 some days straight and different people would come down to train at different times... I give free privates with the people that are below me if I have anything to offer, shirfu is usually available for one or two a month.

Tak
11-06-2003, 12:09 PM
I pay a little over $100/month. We have our own building to pay for (no free/cheap gym/YMCA/basement/church/whatever location), and there are classes roughly from 9am to 9pm weekdays, as well as Saturday mornings.

Starchaser107
11-06-2003, 12:12 PM
seems like some ppl have some pretty good deals here... while others...

*whistle* ~ must suck to be u:D