PDA

View Full Version : Why horse?

Tak
11-06-2003, 02:03 PM
Whenever everybody talks about stances, it's horse, horse, horse, how good is your horse, how long can you stand in horse, how often do you practice horse, how can I improve my horse...

What about all the other good stances? Cat? Drop? San Ti?

ShaolinTiger00
11-06-2003, 02:05 PM
because horses have amazing amounts of Chi.

Look at Mr. Ed!

norther practitioner
11-06-2003, 02:10 PM
It is fairly standard...

Sho
11-06-2003, 02:42 PM
Yea, it's pretty standard.

The horse is also commonly used as a generic term for all stancework.

Judge Pen
11-06-2003, 02:45 PM
Because the horse is the most basic and standard stances out there. Every martial artist knows this stance (at least a variation) and it is fairly difficult to hold for any length of time.

Tak
11-06-2003, 02:53 PM
Because the horse is the most basic and standard stances out there. Every martial artist knows this stance (at least a variation) and it is fairly difficult to hold for any length of time. OK, what about bow? I'd say as many martial artists know a bow variant. And it's equally difficult to hold a low bow stance for a long period of time. Plus you get the excitement of training each side separately. Double the fun!

Starchaser107
11-06-2003, 02:59 PM
mabu is the ultimate stance

so sez I

CaptinPickAxe
11-06-2003, 03:19 PM
I like working the T-Stance, it gives me buns of steel. Theres been a 67% increase of having my ass grabbed by broads since I've begun my SC.

Water Dragon
11-06-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
I like working the T-Stance, it gives me buns of steel. Theres been a 67% increase of having my ass grabbed by broads since I've begun my SC.

set timer to 2 minutes. get in a deep horse, a little wider than shoulder width. Put hands together in front of your chest like you are praying. Hold horse for a count of 10. Rotate all the way to your right so your are now facing 180. You will be in a T stance. Make sure the back knee is about 1-2 " off the ground and hold for a 10 count. Shift back to horse, hold for 10 count. Turn to the left, hold for 10 count. Repeat until the timer goes off. <-- These fockers will kill your legs.

Judge Pen
11-06-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Tak
OK, what about bow? I'd say as many martial artists know a bow variant. And it's equally difficult to hold a low bow stance for a long period of time. Plus you get the excitement of training each side separately. Double the fun!

I don't think it is as difficult to hold the bow as it is the horse. Plus you can kill two birds (legs) with one stone (stance) with the horse.

CaptinPickAxe
11-06-2003, 03:28 PM
WD,

sorta like the shifting stance drill, but only with T-stance and Horse? Sounds painful, I'm going to work it tonight after I push trees.

norther practitioner
11-06-2003, 03:32 PM
I thought it was your boyfriend who gave you the buns of steel...

so up 67%

thats what 5 times in the next 10 years as opposed to the 3 times in the last 10 years...

Holding horse stance does one thing, transitioning in and out of a correct horse stance (which depends on what you're doing with it) is the real deal...

CaptinPickAxe
11-06-2003, 03:36 PM
thats what 5 times in the next 10 years as opposed to the 3 times in the last 10 years...

LOL,

still it puts your record to shame. You've had your ass grabbed once and it was by a man in drag.:eek: :D

Water Dragon
11-06-2003, 03:47 PM
WD,

sorta like the shifting stance drill, but only with T-stance and Horse? Sounds painful, I'm going to work it tonight after I push trees.

That's exactly right! Make sure you are shifting on the balls of your feet on this one.

Also, do 100 body weight squats, hold a deep horse for 30 seconds. do 100 squats, hold horse for 30 seconds. Do 100 squats, hold for 30 seconds. Collapse on ground. :D

Shaui Chiao Horse, shoulder width, thighs parallel, back straight.

CaptinPickAxe
11-06-2003, 03:53 PM
That sounds a lot like my power sets for my arms. I'm always greatful for new work out, thanks WD. anything else?

norther practitioner
11-06-2003, 03:54 PM

LOL,

still it puts your record to shame. You've had your ass grabbed once and it was by a man in drag.:eek: :D

:rolleyes:

Whatever dude, my posterior is concidered holy in some countries...

WD, that sounds similar to what I try to get in at least once a week.

David Jamieson
11-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Horse makes the legs stronger and strengthens the muscles at the point of attachment to the bone (sinew/tendon).

The horse stance also helps the student to regulate blood flow where the aretry splits to proceed down each leg, which in turn aids in getting the feel of the lower dan tiens which is also located at approximately the same area.

Horse works balance and a good horse=good root.

It is a difficult stance, but it produces good results in the rest of your martial practice. No good horse and the rest is pretty much weak as well.

cheers

CaptinPickAxe
11-06-2003, 04:00 PM
Whatever dude, my posterior is concidered holy in some countries...

Maybe, just not in this one.:D

Meat Shake & I are going up to Colorado on Jan 2nd, were going to have meet up and drink some Grey Goose and exchange some knowledge.

norther practitioner
11-06-2003, 04:29 PM
Grey Goose

I like the goose and juice.. but I found a new gem...

Ciroc...check it, it doesn't stink, even though it is french.:D

Most def on the whole colo trip...

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-06-2003, 04:48 PM
horse has increased the power of my strikes. so has striking, but i don't thing that makes the horse any less usefull.

beer on the other hand has not helped my striking ability.

Lowlynobody
11-06-2003, 07:56 PM
See quote below.

Starchaser107
11-06-2003, 08:00 PM
said like a true badman.

CaptinPickAxe
11-06-2003, 10:44 PM
NP: Great, man. I'm really looking forward to going back up North. Meat Shake and I are each bring a bottle of Goose up there, so Its good times no matter what. There are a mind-blowing amount of beautiful women in Boulder. I'm in fat girl hell here in San Antonio. I long for the slim, athletic college girls.

erm, Yeah....horse stance...the root of all Kung Fu.....*clears throat*

Leimeng
11-07-2003, 12:21 AM
~ Why horse?
~ Because it sounds cooler than pony or (jack) A$$.
~ Have you ever seen a jellyfish stand? (let us now do the jellyfish... Lay on the floor and quiver like a blob of jello).
~ How about an octopus? (Ok everyone get on all eight... er.. umm.. hmmm...)
~ Then there is the bat. (Grasp your toes tightly to the rafter and let your self relax as you hang upside down...)
~ Of course, then we practice the twisted dragon, but what about the twisted sister? (with hand's on hips holding purse, dude, I think you need another shade of eye shadow...)

:)

Peace,

Sin Loi

Yi Beng, Kan Xue

Flatulo Ergo Sum

SanSoo Student
11-07-2003, 12:49 AM
Lets all practice our Pony Stance!

CaptinPickAxe
11-07-2003, 01:11 AM
wow....how incredibly ghay....:D

Tak
11-07-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
set timer to 2 minutes. get in a deep horse, a little wider than shoulder width. Put hands together in front of your chest like you are praying. Hold horse for a count of 10. Rotate all the way to your right so your are now facing 180. You will be in a T stance. Make sure the back knee is about 1-2 " off the ground and hold for a 10 count. Shift back to horse, hold for 10 count. Turn to the left, hold for 10 count. Repeat until the timer goes off. <-- These fockers will kill your legs. I do 30 seconds each on the following stances continuously: horse, 6/4, bow, cat, crane, monkey, scissor, drop, steal. After two or three series of these, you feel like you're either dead or invincible.

Water Dragon
11-07-2003, 11:44 AM
Tak, I used to train continuous stances as well. IMO, what I'm doing now gives me better results in less time. It's kinda like trying to apply modern sport science to the old exercises. They both work, but for me, combining movement with the static stances works better.

CrippledAvenger
11-07-2003, 11:55 AM
Child Prays to Buddha= Satan's Jazzercise.

Great excercize though.

Tak
11-07-2003, 11:58 AM
Horse makes the legs stronger and strengthens the muscles at the point of attachment to the bone (sinew/tendon). Doesn't any low stance?

The horse stance also helps the student to regulate blood flow where the aretry splits to proceed down each leg, which in turn aids in getting the feel of the lower dan tiens which is also located at approximately the same area. OK, good point.

Horse works balance and a good horse=good root. I would argue that this is true of any stance.

It is a difficult stance, but it produces good results in the rest of your martial practice. No good horse and the rest is pretty much weak as well. Once again, I don't think this is specific to horse. In particular, xing yi people say that about san ti - "I can look at your san ti and tell the quality of your xing yi." Or even the attitude of the head while in san ti!

I'm not really complaining, just looking for discussion on why horse is the focus.

Tak
11-07-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by CrippledAvenger
Child Prays to Buddha= Satan's Jazzercise. I thought jazzercise was pretty evil already.

No_Know
11-08-2003, 01:43 PM
Ballet has positions. Piano has scales. Kung-Fu has Horse-riding stance. Classic training has a skill gague Horse-riding is Kung-Fu's.

yu shan
11-08-2003, 07:36 PM
What do you do for conditioning?

Ma Bu (horse stance) what is your alignment of the knee to the foot? Just curious, spent 11 years in a so called Northern Praying Mantis style, that used southern stances.

Starchaser107
11-08-2003, 08:46 PM
southern stances?

yu shan
11-09-2003, 06:41 PM
do we not know there is a differance?

No_Know
11-10-2003, 07:58 AM
Knees in front of toes and inside of outside of feet.