PDA

View Full Version : Anyone into UFC?

Sherdog
08-23-2000, 06:53 AM
I've only seen one Kung Fu guy actually step up to the challenge. But he got his arm broken with the quickness. What up with that.

late

Master Po
08-23-2000, 08:23 AM
If you mean Jason Delucha <sp> who lost to Royce in UFC I, accually he continued fighting in smaller MMA comps after that, mostly in japan. From what I hear he was doing well from a while but sort of faded out.

Anyway I like UFC but I dont do Kung Fu. I just like this board as it has some good discussions.

Master Po
08-23-2000, 08:30 AM
There could have been other Kung Fu people who competed as well but I cant think of any. Remeber people who do well in MixedMartialArts fights are usually trained in more then one art.

Plus the UFC is far from the best tournament now a days. Most people agree that the Pride event in Japan is the best tournament out there.

Sherdog
08-23-2000, 08:55 PM
Do kung fu masters fight in Pride? Maybe the kung fu masters are too dangerous for mixed martial arts fights.

08-23-2000, 09:11 PM
Frank Shamrock and Guy Mezger have cross trained in CMA. I know, since I was at a Kung Fu seminar with them, a number of years ago. Of course Sherdog is MUCH more qualified to comment on CMA than either of those gentlemen.

Sherdog
08-23-2000, 10:06 PM
oh no way. i'm just a kung fu beginner. my experience comes from sitting on my couch eating buffalo wings watching ufc. why do the cma guys get ran over so bad? ron van clief got choked out and it looked like his bjj opponent was trying to be nice while doing it.

JWTAYLOR
08-24-2000, 12:59 AM
He was also in his 50s.

JWT

Jaguar Wong
08-24-2000, 02:50 AM
The Black Dragon Baby!!! Takes some real jam to step in there when everyone is about 20-30 years younger. He wasn't a kung fu master though. He did Goju, (along with some other karate styles) and jiu jitsu. He just wasn't as good on the ground as Royce.

He was in pretty good shape for older folk, though. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

------------------
Jaguar Wong
www.superaction.com (http://www.superaction.com)

Sherdog
08-24-2000, 05:07 AM
there was also the japanese karate champ guy. a bjj guy broke his arm pretty quickly too. where are the kung fu masters? they would have won, right?