PDA

View Full Version : Tournament/Test Results

Vash
11-08-2003, 09:06 PM
Well, we had five peeps testing for different levels of black belt.
Of those five, three passed. One of us got a full Shodan (but tore the cartilage in his right knee doing a takedown when his partner fell forward), two of us got Nidan Ho. One of those Nidan broke his ribs in Sanchin.

We only had kids from 12-4 competing. Most of them did really good for their first time out.

God, I'm months away from being healed, and I'm the closest thing we've got to a non-cripple. Oh, cruel, cruel fate!

Anyways, congrats to Wolff Dojo peeps!

Oh yeah. There was a seminar by a Yondan in Shorinryu. Dude was from Okinawa, was a bit over 4' tall, and did things I never could do when I was 110%. Some of the conditioning exercises he did, after the yoga-like stuff, included pushups on "clawed" hands, pushups on the back of your wrists. One participant complained of pain in his hands (or something. I was too far away to hear) and then the sensei walked over to him, had him stand up, and demonstrated the power of the claw conditioning thingie.

The participant didn't have any more trouble with it.

Oh, he also taught a Bassai (Dai or Sho, got no clue. It was short, so I assume Sho) and a bo kata whose name I didn't catch.

Anyway, dude was awesome. Was cool to see what fresh Okinawan karate looks like. Looked a lot like us, considering we ain't isshinryu. But, that really ain't all that suprising, since this sensei studies (studied?) under Tatsuo Shimabuku's brother in Shorinryu.

Starchaser107
11-09-2003, 12:27 AM
What happenned why the other 2 didn't make it ?

Vash
11-09-2003, 09:44 AM
One testee froze on the last two empty hand kata, had to be helped by several members of the testing board.

The other . . . don't know, exactly. Says he messed up on two or three kata, mostly weapons, I think. Everything else was golden.

Starchaser107
11-24-2003, 08:39 PM
How Does one break thier ribs in Sanchin..isn't this a Kata?

Vash
11-24-2003, 08:56 PM
When we do Sanchin at the test, we have several members of the board "test" it. This, it seems, has devolved to seeing just how much punishment one can take while performing this dynamic tension exercise.

I'm telling ya, the more I see this board work, and the longer I go on injured from a "test," the less inclined I am to retest. My instructor feels I passed, and addresses me as a Sho Dan, though I'm officially a Sho Dan Ho.

Anyway, divergent enough. My friend was doing his kata, one of the board members kicked him in the ribs (didn't know the floating ribs was a tension point in this exercise) :rolleyes:

Starchaser107
11-25-2003, 12:02 PM
I see now,
thanks.
too bad for your friend , was it a roundhouse, front, or side kick that did him in, was the kicker reprimanded or was it pretty much accepted.

Vash
11-25-2003, 02:56 PM
He's doing pretty good. Says it still hurts to do . . . anything, really. Good thing he doesn't work at a printing press and let kids jump on his stomach during kids class.

As for the kick, think it was a front snap kick.

And the kicker was not reprimanded. He was a 5th or 6th degree dude on the panel, and an a-hole to boot. A growing trend in the southern Isshinryu community.

Judge Pen
11-25-2003, 03:26 PM
Sanchin kata? I'm curious to see that. We have San Jjie form that is hard qi gong with tension. It is "tested" like you describe as well although I've never seen anyone get their ribs broken before.

Vash
11-25-2003, 09:48 PM
That kinda sounds like ours. It's a dynamic tension kata.

As for the rib break, neither had I. Of course, I was under the impression that non-full-power strikes were used to test tension points, not to see if you'd break anything.

Anyway. Peace.

Vash
11-25-2003, 09:49 PM
Oh, check one of the last links in the Great Links thread. The Wonder-Okinawa site has a good video of a proper Sanchin Kata, though it's not Isshinryu.

Vash
11-26-2003, 01:44 PM
here's the link straight to the kata:

http://www.wonder-okinawa.jp/023/eng/011/001/index.html

That should do it.

chen zhen
11-26-2003, 01:55 PM
looks like the sensei is pullin an "American History X" on the guy.

Dont drop the soap!!

Vash
11-27-2003, 02:50 PM
Ush!

Vash
11-27-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Judge Pen
Sanchin kata? I'm curious to see that. We have San Jjie form that is hard qi gong with tension. It is "tested" like you describe as well although I've never seen anyone get their ribs broken before.

Do you have/know of any videos of San Jjie? That'd be killer to see.

Judge Pen
12-01-2003, 08:07 AM
I don't have any vids of someone being tested with San Njie. The Sanchin I saw on the video was similar, though. Our stance is deeper and a half horse/half bo stance. Our movement sequence is different, also. We do three sets of the repetitve movement with tension and then explode to a short offensive set to close the form. We are tested during the three sequences.

Maybe I'll get someone to test me doing it and I'll post it here.

Vash
12-01-2003, 04:33 PM
I'll be looking forward to it.

Peace.

Starchaser107
12-01-2003, 07:51 PM
that would be cool judge, i hope u do, bless.

Vash
12-20-2003, 09:53 PM
Any word yet on the San Njie?

Okinawan_Lohan
12-22-2003, 10:30 PM
So, how are those who tested doing, Vash? Everyone healing quickly, aside from you?

Be well.

Vash
12-25-2003, 10:42 AM
Yeah, pretty much ever'ones healing up. The man who tested for his Shodan and got his acl fugged up just had surgery on it, pulled part of his pattella tendon from his left knee and dropped it in his right, and is in physical therapy.

I'm coming along . . . hopefully I'll be healed by march.

Vash
01-02-2004, 10:55 AM
There's a tournament coming up in July. If healed and in shape by then, I'll do the seminar (if there is one) and probably the kata competition. I ain't even TOUCHING sparring till a good 6 months after my ass (er . . . rib) is healed.

Bless.

Starchaser107
01-02-2004, 02:09 PM
Won't be touching Sparring huh....heh heh... (http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/kids/teachers/chicken(4).gif) :p

Vash
01-02-2004, 02:25 PM
Sonner live poultry than cooked water fowl.

I made a funny! Yay!

I figger I'll be healed by the end of march (a solid year without training) so I've got no drive at all to prolong this sh!t. Way too depressing. And irritating. My gosh. I wanna be able to bend over and tie my shoes!

Starchaser107
01-02-2004, 07:26 PM
jus kiddin'
i been there too.

Vash
01-02-2004, 07:43 PM
'sall good, ST. I'd just love to be working out right now.

I remember the time I actually had a decent looking body, not to mention a rather functional one. Now, I've got fat on my effing back, sides, and my abs. I've got no arm size, or muscular definition at all.

I know footwork is ****e right now.

My handspeed has got to be nonexistent.

FUDGE INJURY!

yenhoi
01-04-2004, 06:53 AM
How did you get hurt again?

If someone broke a rib in some fraternity "testing" by accident, not to mention a kick! It would mean feds all over campus.

Jesus man!

:eek:

Vash
01-04-2004, 09:58 AM
I was looking at KFO on the computer at my girlfriend's workplace, she walks up, does a "hi-ya" kick to my hip, breaks the rib from the cartilage which connects to my sternum.

THEN, the next day, my brother tries to pat me on the shoulder. I see motion out of the corner of my eye, so I spin and throw a block. Tore a bit more cartilage, fugged up the muscle around it.

Do to the ferocity of the test, and obviously flexible promotion standards (read: politics), I'm not entirely certain I plan on testing with this group of judges again.

No rank is worth time off from training.