PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Tourney

Oso
11-09-2003, 09:59 AM
went to a judo tournament at Univ of Tenn yesterday.

still no heavyweight competition even thought there were 2 or 3 college teams there and 100+ adult competitors.

here's a pic of the 4 of us from the 220+ division.

I was the smallest at 240. I'm second from right. The guy on the right was 320 !!!!

lots of fun and saw a lot of good BB judoka in the lighter divisions.

Starchaser107
11-09-2003, 10:09 AM
:eek:

a pork and beef eating dread!!!....

fyah, more fyah.

kidding, sort of, but how does all that hair work out in grappling
:(

so when do the big kids get to rumble oso?
:cool:

Oso
11-09-2003, 10:24 AM
he was a big kid. only 19, too.

he did keep reaching up to clear the hair out of the way.
I didn't pick up on it till later in our match and I had already figured out how I was going to take him down. He was very inexperienced but a real nice guy. His school had a large group of mostly kids there and the coaches were top notch and many of the other students placed so I'm sure he'll do fine. He was strong on top of the mass was really flexible.

so when do the big kids get to rumble oso?

lost me there, watch mean?

here's a pick of me getting a throw, sorta...

Oso
11-09-2003, 10:26 AM
...but, I still pancaked him :D

yu shan
11-09-2003, 02:59 PM
every picture tells a story don`t it

SevenStar
11-09-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Oso

I was the smallest at 240. I'm second from right. The guy on the right was 320 !!!!

That's why I'm thinking about dropping to light heavy - I'm ALWAYS the smallest guy in the heavies.

Good job, bud.

ComeToJesus
11-09-2003, 05:34 PM
Ooooo Oso with the two medal!
boo ya
:cool: gj

CaptinPickAxe
11-09-2003, 05:35 PM
I haven't had the joy of fighting in a tourney yet, but I'm really lookin' forward to it. I see you have a medal in your pic. congrats.

Starchaser107
11-09-2003, 05:48 PM
"still no heavyweight competition even thought there were 2 or 3 college teams there and 100+ adult competitors."

I took that to mean there was no heavy weight division.
I was asking when the heavyweights would get to spar.

congrats on diving off into the tournament scene, i know i always get a rush from it, keep having fun oso.

Oso
11-09-2003, 07:11 PM
thanks guys.

judo is tough. the venue is really do or die...don't fall on your back. in the sport jujitsu I've been training a full ippon throw didn't mean the end of the game so we spent the whole morning watching the junior divisions to figure out the rule differences.

SC107, oh, yea i guess it did sound like that. We fought ourselves in the BB division and then ourselves plus the other guy in the novice division. For the record, there wasn't a masters (35+) division or we would have competed in that as well. the guy on the far left in the above pic is 38 and I am 36 and they weren't going to do another division for just the two of us.

the medals are cool but I'd rather not place if I could get some matches against some good people. sometimes you learn best from the bottom.

Chang Style Novice
11-09-2003, 07:19 PM
Jeepers, I weigh about 240 - do I look like that?!!?

I sure look less intimidating in the hugmonster snap. How tall are you, Oso?

Oso
11-09-2003, 07:57 PM
5'11"

Fatboyz Rule !!!

we've been thinking about getting some hoodies made with that on it.:cool: :D

Oso
11-09-2003, 08:13 PM
That's why I'm thinking about dropping to light heavy - I'm ALWAYS the smallest guy in the heavies.

heh, yah, but I bet my body fat % is MUCH higher then yours.

I'm getting back down to 220 in the next couple of months. don' like 240. never been there before.

Starchaser107
11-09-2003, 08:18 PM
So,
out of curiousity
how do you fare against lighter opponents, do you dominate , or does it depend on the opponent & situation... or do you usually end up going against your weight class?

Oso
11-09-2003, 08:39 PM
well, this is only my second tournament lately and third ever since wrestling in high school...so, it's all been against guys my size or bigger.

it depends...while a good fighter can beat anyone I think the fact that size does matter is shown by the fact that in most competitions there are weight divisions. I think I even saw that in open division that there was a maximum of 25 pounds weight differential but that may have been for juniors.

mmm, I recently rolled with a judo green belt who is maybe 160. he is much more technically proficient at judo than I am and was way squirmy and I couldn't choke him fer shiat. I felt like I could have out powered him if I wanted to but once I rolled with him a little bit I saw I could learn more by NOt doing that. Afterward we talked and he said that he felt that I could have shut him down with my size and the strength that goes with that.

Yesterday, I saw several black belt judokas in the 180 to <220 range that would have totally schooled me on the mat.

so, as always, it comes down to the person and how long and hard they have trained.

Starchaser107
11-09-2003, 08:44 PM
k.

well enjoy whats left of the weekend , and
adios until 2morrow.

Chang Style Novice
11-10-2003, 08:49 AM
Okay, I'm a few inches taller than you, 6'2", so I don't get quite as much breadth out of my weight.

At least I'm not a stringbean freak like Fatherdog, though.;)

Meat Shake
11-10-2003, 08:57 AM
Im 6' 165. I want 190, but its hard to gain weight. :mad:

"I think I even saw that in open division that there was a maximum of 25 pounds weight differential but that may have been for juniors."

Cause even when a little dude can give hit like a big dude, he cant take a hit like a big dude.

Oso
11-10-2003, 09:37 AM
Okay, I'm a few inches taller than you, 6'2", so I don't get quite as much breadth out of my weight.

more ounce to the inch, baby !

FatherDog
11-10-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice

At least I'm not a stringbean freak like Fatherdog, though.;)

Hey, I'm 6'4" and 205 right now.

Granted, I weighed in at 182 on Saturday, but that was a bad idea on my part.

Meat Shake
11-10-2003, 09:39 AM
Oso is the haahs.
:eek:
If I can get 190, Ill be haahs like, but not the haahs.

Oso
11-10-2003, 10:03 AM
'haahs'

whut?

FT, what did you do saturday?

how did you fare by dropping a weight class?

Meat Shake
11-10-2003, 10:08 AM
"haahs" = big or hardcore. By chugging a 5th of jack daniels, Jim Belushi is a "haahs".

Oso
11-10-2003, 10:20 AM
well, big maybe. we'll see how far I take this before I claim hardcore...I am OLD afterall. :D

FatherDog
11-10-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Oso
'haahs'

whut?

FT, what did you do saturday?

the NAGA world submission grappling championships, Intermediate division.

how did you fare by dropping a weight class?

Short version: I tried to cut too much weight, came in light for my weight class, and lost on points.

Long version: http://www.livejournal.com/users/fatherdog/27360.html

Chang Style Novice
11-10-2003, 01:29 PM
Hmmm...somehow I thought you were even taller than that, like 6'7".

Anyway, thanks for the link - looks like it was a good match. Next time EAT something, for Bob's sake!

Oso
11-10-2003, 01:38 PM
thanks, FT, I'll read the journal later tonight. sweet pics though.

hey, if you have any info on tourneys between here and up north can you send it too me?

I need to try and get one in a month and since they have to pump sunlight in to us here I don't get to see a lot of other regional postings for tourneys. just east TN and SC.

thanks,

Meat Shake
11-10-2003, 01:42 PM
Nice pics, good they are captioned. They are a little dark and hard to see however...

FatherDog
11-10-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
Hmmm...somehow I thought you were even taller than that, like 6'7".

Probably the heels.

Anyway, thanks for the link - looks like it was a good match. Next time EAT something, for Bob's sake!

I think it was more the not drinking than the not eating. After the match, I took out my mouthpiece and realized that it was completely dry, as were my clothes. Might have been just a tad dehydrated, I think.

Originally posted by Oso
thanks, FT, I'll read the journal later tonight. sweet pics though.

hey, if you have any info on tourneys between here and up north can you send it too me?

I get my info from www.mma.tv, usually. I dunno about Judo tourneys, though; I don't compete gi, so I don't pay that much attention. If I hear about something down your way, I'll definitely shoot it over to you, though.

Originally posted by Meat Shake
Nice pics, good they are captioned. They are a little dark and hard to see however...

Yeah, the tournament was inside a high school gym; lighting wasn't the best. The bigger versions you can get to by clicking are a little easier to make out.

Oso
11-10-2003, 04:12 PM
thanks, I'll look. I need to concentrate on gi right now but I want to do at least one nogi just to see what's up.