PDA

View Full Version : Any Full Contact Fighters Out there?

FouGo1
08-31-2000, 09:01 AM
I was wondering because I "Bounce" as a second job. Just wanted to know if there was anyone out there with full contact experience that might offer advice on any training tips?

08-31-2000, 12:41 PM
I train full contact, bt to give you tips, i'd first have to know how tall and heavy you are, are you strong, are you fast, how are your reflexes and how fluid is your technique

blacktsun
08-31-2000, 12:45 PM
Here is a training technique that I have been exposed to. It is not to be taken lightly, because you can get severly hurt doing this.

Learning to take a hit. Surround yourself with four or five other fighters who know how to hit, and when to stop. Their jobs, hit you as often as possible. You can try to block, but no matter how hard you try, more and more shots will get through. You will get used to getting hit and used to orienting yourself when dizzy.

08-31-2000, 09:05 PM
Hi I go to a full contact school. as far as training for you side job...ever consider some submission style training such as Chin Na? Some of the joint locks are great, really painful, but you don't nessesarily have to maim that pesky drunk guy. The holds have more to do with leverage and knowing where the right pressure points are than strength. I'm pretty small 5'1" and have taken down some really big guys by the hand only using Chin Na.rovere has a website that has an article w/ pics about Chin Na. Let me see if I can find it....www.rovere.com

[This message has been edited by tigerlilly (edited 09-01-2000).]

cha kuen
08-31-2000, 09:43 PM
BlackTsun,

Why would you want to take hits for! Learn how to get out of the way so that you will never have to take a hit.

Sifu Cable,

You're pretty weird.

There are many full contact fighters in the US. Fairtex muay thai compete in san shou events as well as Cung Le schools, Boston San Shou, Ortiz, Brent Hamby's school in Oakland, and many others. The Shuai Chiao association also competes sometimes.

FouGo1
08-31-2000, 10:15 PM
Sifu Aable,
Let me clarify. I am 165lbs, 5'10", and a 4yr Practitioner of 8 Step Preying Mantis Kung Fu. I bounce to practice movement, footwork, and practical takedowns and jointlocks. Currently i am the oldest and highest payed at this side job in the area i live in. I simply wanted to know if there was anyone out there who might offer any training ideas that i dont already use. Respectfully Fou Gou1

GinSueDog
08-31-2000, 10:16 PM
FouGo1,
Work on your grappling , plain and simple with a focus on your standing grapping techniques. Most bouncers here and I would assume this applies to anywhere in the United States aren't suppose to hit the customers.

Nevermind...-ED
------------------
"The grappling arts imply most fights end up on the ground...take them there. The striking arts imply all fights start standing up...keep them there. The mixed martial arts imply any fight can go anywhere...be ready and able to go everywhere."-a mix martial artist

[This message has been edited by GinSueDog (edited 09-01-2000).]

Sandman2[Wing Chun]
08-31-2000, 11:00 PM
WARNING: This "Sifu Abel", is not the "SifuAbel" you think it is, it is an imposter, Check the profiles on both, I've already contacted Illusionfist about this antagonistic loser.

Thanks!
Sandman[Wing Chun]
Moderator-Wing Chun Forum.

FouGo1
08-31-2000, 11:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sandman2[Wing Chun]:
WARNING: This "Sifu Abel", is not the "SifuAbel" you think it is, it is an imposter, Check the profiles on both, I've already contacted Illusionfist about this antagonistic loser.

Thanks!
Sandman[Wing Chun]
Moderator-Wing Chun Forum.[/quote]

Thanx Sandman, I did the digging already seeing the way the imposter was replying in other posts i had SERIOUS doubts that his messages came from a real Sifu. Fou Gou1

Sam Wiley
08-31-2000, 11:08 PM
I agree that you should work on your grappling. Locks, holds, and throws, and sleeper holds too, would be good areas to train in.

Modi
09-01-2000, 12:59 AM
All you need is a pair of steel toed boots, a good 'ead butt, and some good old Viking Beserker blood in you!!

JWTAYLOR
09-01-2000, 02:33 AM
I've bounced as well, as has my instructor. We still have a very "full contact" school.

I know it sounds cheesy, but bouncing is a social game. The job is to get trouble away from the customers, and to enforce the rules of the bar. If people want to start ****, rarely do they start it with the paid help. If they do, understand that those are the people that came there to fight. Try to get it away from the customers, and then end it quickly. Hit first, hit hard, call police. Try to get another bouncer if at all possible, (bartender if you have to) to be a part of every physical threat. I have yet to see a cop not instantly side with the bouncer at any establishment, so take advantage of that.
Standing grappling skills are great. Learn a baddass, painful full nelson and use it anytime you feel someone is threatening someone else. Learn a standing sleeper for the same reason. Apply either of these from behind the antagonist without warning. Drag them outside, warn them that you will call the police and then do so. Scrap your armbars, scrap your hammerlocks, scrap your finger grabs. They are great but they generally rely on pain compliance, which may mean little to your drunk/drugged patrons.

You can't be too carefull, but then again, you are paid to confront people. Do it fast and away from the customers if at all possible.

Bottom line, your job is to make the bar look good, not to kick ass.

JWT

8stepsifu
09-01-2000, 05:19 AM
Talk to Greg in Vermillion. He's training for a amatuer and professional NHB fight. He needs people to fight. He goes hard, but he's nice and fighting with him is fun. He has an exellent base on the ground and is very strong. BtW I'm assuming that this is Chris in Iowa. If it is he's broken people's wrists using chin na. Who is this? Too light to be Greg, but if it's you, talk to Greg. If it's Greg, go to Sioux City. As for training tips, do a bag workout and bag throwing drills in spurts of 5 minutes with smaller and smaller breaks. Hitting the bag like this is like doing the 10,000 in 20 minute drill. Your legs take the work. Sifu Tosh Stone has a good drill he calls the bag and bag that works well for conditioning. For ground conditoning, no one knows it better than a good wrestling coach. Good luck and happy ass kicking.

FouGo1
09-01-2000, 05:47 AM
To 8StepSifu... You caught me, it is I the one and only Fou Gou (Chris) of Sioux Cy. Can't wait to see you in October and swap some stories... gotta go to work. peace.