PDA

View Full Version : weightlifting for kung fu

Falcor
11-09-2003, 11:04 PM
What particular weightlifting exercises do you guys do for what specific element/movement of your kung fu styles?

cerebus
11-09-2003, 11:23 PM
Grasp hold of great big training partner in Shuai Chiao throwing grip, lift off floor, hold for 10 seconds, return training partner to floor. Repeat until no longer possible. :D T.

Toby
11-10-2003, 01:57 AM
Benchpress in case I need to push someone. Squats for leg strength and footwork. Deadlift in case I need to pull anyone. Pullups in case I need to pull anyone. Assorted stuff for abs, forearms as well. Endurance work too.

I've been doing weights for longer than MA, so I don't really target anything specifically for MA techniques. The exercises I do keep my whole body strong and much more resilient to punishment though.

Kristoffer
11-10-2003, 04:17 AM
Bigger, main muscular groups help your ma more than isolated movements I think. But train the whole body, nothing bad with adding some pounds. I personally like to focus on leg stuff

anton
11-10-2003, 05:28 AM
This lifting exercise helps my iron-crotch training. (http://flash.trojangames.co.uk/tgames/movies/movie2.html)

...sorry couldn't resist.

Tak
11-10-2003, 08:20 AM
Lots of body weight stuff. I don't think I've ever targeted a particular technique with an exercise, as in: "If I can do 800 lbs with exercise X, my Beng will be unstoppable!"

BentMonk
11-10-2003, 11:20 AM
Here's a site with some good ideas. Read the kettle bell stuff in the articles section. Also check the seminar section. Kettle bells are fun, different, and very effective.

www.fulcrumfitness.com

fa_jing
11-10-2003, 01:52 PM
Kettlebells, Olympic lifts, powerlifts. Single legged deadlift and weighted or unweighted pistols.

Roadwork, heavybag, bodyweight exercises.

Grip and ab work.

jun_erh
11-12-2003, 04:21 PM
I just discovered sit ups on the ball things. the big grey ball. best sit ups

backbreaker
11-12-2003, 05:02 PM
Shaolin Do is the premier martial art in kentucky.Believable too.I haven't lifted weights in 5 years because it made my joints feel weak and it just generally made me strain alot which is weak.I concentrate mainly on movements that use relaxed and open joints with peng energy,spiral movemnts and full body structure which cannot be resisted by the opponent because you use internal energy

CaptinPickAxe
11-12-2003, 05:17 PM
I do power sets. Curls and Push ups. I don't really lift. I do static contraction, Iron Bridge, Stance Training, and SC workouts.