PDA

View Full Version : Odd TCM Question

Daredevil
11-10-2003, 06:23 PM
I'm no newbie to daily stance training (from Bajiquan), but a few months ago I started Xingyi and have been standing in santi daily since. However, at the same time I've developed some occasional stomach pains which apparently come from the fact that I'm being gassy (not so much in, ehh, emitting the stuff, just that there's gas in my intestines). I saw a (western) doctor and they couldn't really say what's the matter (beyond that it seemed there was slightly more gas inside of me than usual).

Now, these things don't have to be related at all, but I figured I'd like to hear the opinion of one of the folks here who're more into TCM. Call it my intuition. Also, my stomach tends to rumble greatly while doing santi.

In the TCM paradigm, is there possibility of santi practise having this type of side-effects?

Thanks for any replies.

ctoepker
11-10-2003, 06:29 PM
Gotta' ask the obvious...

Has your diet changed recently?

Are 'all other things "equal"'?

CT

Daredevil
11-11-2003, 07:38 AM
Heh, obviously that was the first thing I checked and I really can't find any changes, not really even minor ones.

GeneChing
11-11-2003, 10:33 AM
We had a thread a while back here on tiger balm and flatulence that you might want to look at. ;)

Seriously, I've occasionally found in my qigong practice that I'll have to dispel some gas - usually a belch - as I'm warming up. Often it depends on what and when I had lunch. Are you sure it's gas and not muscular? Personally I've never had any problem with santi, just that it make my legs sore after a while.

Daredevil
11-12-2003, 06:12 AM
Thanks for pointing out the thread.

The end just left me wondering what exactly is the effected area ... =)

And yeah, qigong typically makes me slightly gassy, too, but, ehh, in a positive way. But lately it's been occasionally painful, which isn't nice.

Not that I'm at all sure it is the santi doing it (it could be that it's just rumbling my stomach, but not actually causing the gas), but it has started to seem like all other things beings equal. When I started, I was having a uhh, "no emissions" period (aiming for that elusive 100 days) and I was actually drinking less alcohol than usually, but these two things have since been cancelled to their normal levels.

Though there is one qigong practise ("Lifting the Sky") which I have been doing far less than in previous years (ie. much less than daily).

Oh well, just thinking out loud ...

bodhitree
11-12-2003, 07:22 AM
seated qigong gives me gas, don't know why!

Tak
11-12-2003, 10:10 AM
Maybe the gas is always there, but your abdomen is a little more compressed by the "bear's shoulders" attitude.