PDA

View Full Version : the guard

El_CLap
09-07-2000, 07:10 PM
Hey guys. I was working out the other day with my sihing. we were working on takedown defenses. So he tackled me. I did my best to put him in the guard. Got my legs around him tight arched my back and got punched in the nads immediately. I'm assuming since I have never actively trained in BJJ that I did this wrong. Is there some way not to get racked?

dan downard
09-07-2000, 08:02 PM
once you had him in your guard you should have pulled him down to you so he can't sit up.Then you have to use your legs to hold him down while you shrimp to one side .Always attacking .It is hard to show or teach having you here to show you what I mean.Where do you live?

El_CLap
09-07-2000, 08:15 PM
I live in Houston.

JWTAYLOR
09-07-2000, 08:40 PM
When you have your opponent in the guard, there are times to arch your back, and times to bring your opponent in.

Without lots of instruction, stick to the open guard. For me, at least, it's allot easier to work from.

JWT

Jaguar Wong
09-07-2000, 08:53 PM
I also prefer the open guard, not that I'm very knowledgable, though. I agree with Dan, though, you should have pulled him in to control his weapons better. I try this, and it does work, but I always tend to relax, and wait in this position, which is bad, cause I'm not in a good position to play the waiting game.

I also get bruises, or marks on my feet, cause I gotta roll with bigger guys, so it's a huge strain to hold my guard (when we practice passing the guard and all). When we roll, I try to use an open guard so I can get away easier. Don't work out that way, though /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif guess I need more mat time.

Here's a funny story, though. We roll with a big guy ('bout 6 foot, 240lbs, but I think he's closer to 230 with less fat,more muscle, now), and even though he's the type of guy that can control positon very well (from his wrestling), he loves fighting from the guard. I find it baffling (and funny, at the same time), cause he can easily get a mount on any of us, but he loves chokin' us out from the guard. I know he should practice it, in case someone does over power him or if he ever faces a larger opponent, but it just looks odd when he's got a 5'6" 155 pounder in his guard.

------------------
Jaguar Wong
www.superaction.com (http://www.superaction.com)

Knifefighter
09-07-2000, 11:41 PM
Don't arch your back. There are a couple of sweeps and guard pass preventions where you arch your back, but as a general rule, you don't want to do this. It give him too much space and exposes your groin and abdominal area. If he does get enough space to go for your groin, uncross your legs and kick to his face with your heel. If he is sitting up enough high enough to do this, he is also open for a variety of sweeps.

Prairie
09-08-2000, 01:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JWTAYLOR:

Without lots of instruction, stick to the open guard. For me, at least, it's allot easier to work from.

JWT[/quote]

I believe I know what the guard position is, and I always seem to wind up there when wrestling around. My question is: what is the difference between an "open" and "closed" guard?

origenx
09-10-2000, 03:35 AM
Well, why don't we start off by just roughly ranking the standard grappling positions from greatest advantage to greatest disadvantage:
1) Mount, on top, opponent face-down
2) Mount, on top
3) Side mount
4) Guard, on top
5) Guard, on bottom
6) Side mount, on bottom
7) Mount, on bottom
8) Mount, on bottom, face-down

When you're in the guard on bottom, you can more easily get your opponent into armbars and you can successfully defend yourself. Royce Gracie is often here. When you're on top in the guard, however, you can more easily strike and choke out your opponent. So, I'd say the top guard is slightly more advantageous and offensive.

Arching your back is a good way to control your opponent and keep his fists away from your face. However, it does leave your groin totally exposed!!! This is often overlooked in class where you don't fight "dirty." But, it is a valid "real world" concern that I actually thought about and raised in class once. I can't remember what the answer was, but I would think that maybe you curl up and bring your legs back and pull him back into you - similar to if they throw a punch you can pull him past you and go for a lock.

origenx
09-10-2000, 03:40 AM
Oh yea, the other disadvantage about being on the bottom guard is that your opponent can use his dead weight to smother you and wear you out faster...

I think open guard is with legs at the sides on the floor - whereas closed guard is with legs crossed and hooked behind your opponent's back - correct, folks?

I would think the closed guard would be preferable, cuz it only gives you more control?

jojitsu27
09-10-2000, 03:41 AM
There has been good advise given here, and I would encourage you to not arch your back. Try and draw him in, encourage him to extend his arms and strike towards you, when he does trap an arm and go for an armbar or triangle choke.
-jojitsu27

dan downard
09-10-2000, 09:27 AM
Actually the open guard is prefered.You have alot more weapons to defend and submit with.It is way better in a street fight.But you would rather not be on the ground at all in a street fight if you can help it.There are exeptions.If you know that nobody will interfere.And there is nothing to get hurt on when you are rolling.Or best yet,You are certain you can take him with just about anything you want, and do.

JWTAYLOR
09-10-2000, 07:06 PM
Prarie Girl
Open Guard has the feet open, not locked together. I can do about a bazillion sweeps and escapes from this position. I've also trained it as part of my curriculum for years. So I'm a bit partial to it.

Closed Guard has the feet wrapped and locked together, trapping the opponenent between the legs. People tell me that advanced practitioners can use the closed guard to great advantages. I can pull off a couple of arm bars and maybe 2 chokes on a fighting opponent. Even so, I get hit way too much in this position.

JWT