PDA

View Full Version : grapplers: carpenter's knee?

Soujirou
09-09-2000, 02:22 AM
Hello,

I took some time off from my BJJ school lately. Two weeks ago when I had finished class my right knee felt a bit sore. I get sore very frequently whenever I practice, so I decided that it wasn't too big of a deal.

The next time I had a class, we opened with a drill involving rapidly shifting from crossbody to mount to crossbody (some kind of warm-up). What I discovered was that every time my right knee touched the mat I felt
PAIN. Lots of it.

I didn't see any bruise, and I felt perfect walking around, sitting, and basically everything else. However, whenever that knee touched the ground it really hurt. I decided that taking some time off would get rid of whatever was bothering my knee, and I did seem to get better.

However, after going to class today I found that my knee hurt as much as it had two weeks ago. After some discussion with my instructor, I was told that what I had was a common wrestling problem called carpenter's knee. He said that there was no structural problem, and that I should ice the are 3 times a day for 20 minutes (will do.) He also said that I could continue going to class, which I plan on doing. (I'll probably have to stop rolling for a while, though).

HERE'S MY QUESTION(S): Have any of you heard of this type of problem? If you have, what are some ways to help get rid of it?

This definitely isn't even close to a major injury, and I'm sure most of you have had worse. However, it does seem to adversely affect my ability to learn, so I would appreciate any advice.

dan downard
09-09-2000, 02:27 AM
I would go see a doctor.You may have torn your maniscus or worse.Dont just take his word for it and keep training.You may do more damage that way.See a doctor.

Soujirou
09-09-2000, 04:34 AM
I was considering that, too. It seems to take a long time to get appointments, though. I was thinking that by the time an appointment came around, I would already be healed.

Maybe I should just make an appointment, and then cancel it later.

Has anyone actually heard of carpenter's knee, though? Anyone? Since it's supposed to be a common type of injury I thought someone might know.

8stepsifu
09-09-2000, 07:20 AM
Talk to a stripper. I'm serious, they are always dancing around on their knees picking up dollar bills. I talked to some after work and they were *****ing about their knees and showed me the huge callouses they developed. Ice might help, but I'm no expert, you had better go to a doctor or a stripper /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif