PDA

View Full Version : Questiions for grapplers and BJJ. No trolling please.

Wah Ren Jie
09-11-2000, 01:21 AM
Hey guys!!! I'm a Gung Fu man and have nuff respect for ground guys and cross trainers. Couple of questions.

1) What are the fundamental differences between BJJ and Japanese JJ?

2) For those who have attained rank in ground and striking arts. Does training in both at the same time get in the way of each other. (as I've been told by many, "master one then move on). Or can you train for quality in a traditional striking art and a traditional or modern ground art.

3) Also, which ground art do you think would compliement gung fu the best.

Thanks in advance fellas!!!

Longquan
09-11-2000, 01:53 AM
My background: wrestling/judo/tien shan pai (eclectic N. Shaolin)

I think your personal fighting style is the key to cross-training. The way some people fight "encourages" being taken down. Some people want to go to the ground.

Examine your fighting style/tactics and see where grappling/throwing/groundfighting fits into your fighting strategy and tactics.

For example, my basic strategy is to maneuver to your back or side and strike. My grappling training is primarily defensive--although I really like grappling and striking in combination.

But no, the training should not interfere.

LEGEND
09-11-2000, 01:57 AM
) What are the fundamental differences between BJJ and Japanese JJ?

BJJ is actually NEW...it was created 75 years ago by a fragile, skinny man...HELIO GRACIE...it's purely a ground fighting system! Japanese JJ varies and has element of standup wristlocks and so forth...I believe their focus is more on STANDUP SUBMISSION techs.

2) For those who have attained rank in ground and striking arts. Does training in both at the same time get in the way of each other. (as I've been told by many, "master one then move on). Or can you train for quality in a traditional striking art and a traditional or modern ground art.

It's hard to say...I believe it's the individual choice. Some peeps catchon more quickly in a striking art like BOXING...while others prefer the grappling element! I think the TIME is a factor...but usually both BJJ and most pure striking art are easily mastered in a short period of time.

3) Also, which ground art do you think would compliement gung fu the best.

I believe BRAZILLIAN JJ...it's focus is on leverage...most of the LITTLE guys work well in BJJ...most of the BIG guys I would suggest learn more of a GROUND and POUND system.

Master Po
09-11-2000, 11:39 PM
I dont know if Carlson Gracie would agree that BJJ was created by Helio. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I dont think that learning a standup art and a ground art at the same time will interfere with your learning at all. IT WILL REQUIRE MORE TIME THOUGH. Still it is well worth it if you put the time in.

I totaly agree with legend about BJJ being better for the smaller guy. It might also be good to try and get with some highschool wrestling buddys too and practice some takedowns. It very important to learn how NOT to be taken down.