PDA

View Full Version : See MonkeySlap Too Get Beat Up

Water Dragon
11-13-2003, 02:50 PM
By Vic De Thouars in this months edition of Inside Kung Fu. On sale now.

rubthebuddha
11-13-2003, 04:27 PM
sweet! santa finally got my letter! :D

norther practitioner
11-13-2003, 04:43 PM
You asked for that too...

MK and I will have a picture in the next kungfu tai chi mag....:D

Black Jack
11-13-2003, 06:34 PM
Don't you mean the Steve Gartin kuntao silat article?

Water Dragon
11-13-2003, 07:25 PM
Is that Steve Gartin? If so, the beard threw me off and I apologize for that. Didn't get a chance to scoop it up and read it yet, just saw the photo shoot.

Black Jack
11-13-2003, 08:29 PM
Just thought I would point it out as I thought you were talking about another article. Bapak Willem de Thouars is the Kuntao Silat grandteacher and MaHa Guru Victor de Thouars is the serak silat gentleman. From what I understand is that they are not the best of friends

My silat teacher is friends with both and I only hear absolute great things about both men. Which is common from almost anybody you ask of about those two men.

The article was good. I like the monyet energy.

Cheers

Water Dragon
11-13-2003, 08:48 PM
No, definately point it out BlackJack. My Silat knowledge consists of part of 1 form, a few knife tricks, and a very crude idea of what the platforms are for. It's great stuff, I'm just really into the rassling right now. Knifework is definately a goal for the future though.

Black Jack
11-13-2003, 09:12 PM
I have seen some kuntao silat and it is great stuff, when you get the itch don't pass it up as I think you will find the return on your physical investment worth the effort, I don't consider myself a silat guy, thats like a lifestyle thing and I don't want to dishonor what that really means to some, I have just been lucky enough to train with a very solid teacher the last 8 months and have been impressed by those cultures fighting arts and combative perceptions.

But again I am impressed with darn near anything that works and is simple enough for me to imprint at some level.

btw- rasslin is fun.:D

MasterKiller
11-14-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
You asked for that too...

MK and I will have a picture in the next kungfu tai chi mag....:D Shhhhhhhh. That's a secret.

rubthebuddha
11-14-2003, 09:58 AM
such a secret that mk felt the need to repeat it. :D

sad am i that it wasn't the real MS2 that got beat up. hmph. guess i'll have to send santa some more cookies. ;)

Meat Shake
11-14-2003, 10:00 AM
"sad am"

Almost read it saddam. Saddam-me. He loves it. Nasty *******.

Water Dragon
11-14-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
such a secret that mk felt the need to repeat it. :D

sad am i that it wasn't the real MS2 that got beat up. hmph. guess i'll have to send santa some more cookies. ;)

No. It's the real MS2. I DO now what my own teacher looks like. I guess I just don't know what Pak Vic and Guru Steve look like. MonkeySlap still takes a good beating, so you should still get the article.

rubthebuddha
11-14-2003, 10:28 AM
then confused was i, and enlightened am i now. thanks bud. :)

by the way, does the name monkeyslap have anything to do with beatings such as this? if so, then last week i shoulda changed my name to "nutshot," as the integrity of my cup was challenged several times.

Meat Shake
11-14-2003, 10:53 AM
Your cup has no integrity, the filthy *****. Ill kick it to the curb.

rubthebuddha
11-14-2003, 11:45 AM
had enough integrity to keep my meat and two veg in working order.

and if you are going to kick it to the curb, just make sure i'm not wearing it, else i'll be the lead story on fox's next episode of "world's nastiest nadshots."

Stranger
11-14-2003, 03:16 PM
BJ,

I don't consider myself a silat guy, thats like a lifestyle

In what ways do you mean a lifestyle? Just curious.

Black Jack
11-14-2003, 10:18 PM
Stranger,

Nothing serious, its just that I consider it a pretty indepth concept of fighting, a lot of layers to that specific onion and I feel on a personal level that I would do those layers a diservice to tickle my ego and say I am a some sort of dedicated silat player when I have trained with, been humbled by and seen real deal, born and raised, malay teachers who live within that art and its culture.

To compare me to them just because I practice some malay silat would be laughable. I consider myself a mutt if anything and I like it that way.

Cheers

Stranger
11-15-2003, 07:51 AM
malay teachers who live within that art and its culture

and its culture

Are you refering to Islam when you say this?

cerebus
11-15-2003, 12:59 PM
Rubthebuddha, Empty Your Cup. :D T.

rubthebuddha
11-15-2003, 10:28 PM
:D

seems like blackjack's metaphorical cup is empty. nice attitude. :)

as far as terms go, i like being categorized as a "player" of a martial art. a person can play basketball, baseball and tennis in the same way a person can "play" several martial arts. for me, it's wing tsun, muay thai and a start in escrima. wt is my dominant flavor, but i'm not good enough at it yet to call myself a proper practitioner. i'm just a player -- at least in this sense. :D

so black jack, i'd call you a silat player. :)

Black Jack
11-16-2003, 12:16 PM
Ahhhh thanks;)

Stranger- no not religon. Though one could consider that a part of its culture without blinking twice. I mean the whole bait and tackle that is involved when you meet those kinds of players that not only practice a specific martial system since they were kids but have grown up in that area of the world and the "taste" they bring with them to the table because of that experiance.

A taste IMO that you could not get from someone who has not really lived it.