PDA

View Full Version : ouch...

j-himself
11-15-2003, 02:59 PM
alright,, so i just finished my work out,, or more like half of it... due to my lower back started hurting like a mother%%%#$ when i was doing my third set of bent over barbell rows...

and now, it hurts when i squat down, etc.. i'll prolly get better tomorrow,, but why the hell did this happen? bad form? too much weight? i did increase it by 5 pounds though,, but this is hardly nothing...

im confused and ****ed off..

what do u guys think

rubthebuddha
11-16-2003, 12:00 AM
your back, especially your lower, can be injured from doing any number of things. for me, lifting anything when my torso isn't flush with my hips, i open myself up to aggravating an old lower back injury. so maybe your torso wasn't square to your hips. it could also be that your back was rounded incorrectly, or that you were bending at the back instead of the hips, or any number of things.

work on your posture a little -- emphasize bending at the hips instead of hunching the back -- and the answer (and hopefully resolution) will come.

fa_jing
11-16-2003, 10:22 PM
Tighten your abs on all of your lifts, fill the area up with air also like a balloon to support your lower back.

j-himself
11-17-2003, 11:44 AM
alright... tahnks for the replies
i appriciate it, n i'll try to keep that in mind.

its been two days now,, and its starting to feel better. think i just might as well hit them weights tonight.

Ford Prefect
11-17-2003, 01:06 PM
Is your back arched? Your back should look like this: )

back of you > ) < front of you

j-himself
11-17-2003, 03:19 PM
ford,,

actually,, yea, my back is arched liked that. i dunno if it should look like that,, cuz it seems like my back is arched more than the norm.

why are u asking? (hopefully u wont start rippin on my retarted abnormalities, haha)

layte

rubthebuddha
11-17-2003, 03:36 PM
nah, just your retarded spelling. your back should have a natural arch, and you should keep this while lifting. :)

Ford Prefect
11-18-2003, 07:43 AM
The less arch you keep while squatting, deadlifting, bent over rowing, etc the more the pressure is magnified on the intervertabral discs of the lower back and the muscles and connective tissue. You should always keep a tight arch.

rubthebuddha
11-18-2003, 09:58 AM
ford -- good points. should one do the same for seated cable rows? i use a lifeline cable, wrap it around my feets, sit on my ass and row, row, row. should i arch while doing this as well?