PDA

View Full Version : Size Large

nospam
03-27-2000, 11:08 PM
Yo,

this isn't about fighting larger oppponents..well directly anyways. I'm wondering how many of you eyeball someone and think strategy?

A lot of times when I see a size large walking towards me on the street, I'll envision what I would do or how I would take the dude down. I find this little exercise enjoyable and very enlightening some times, as well as amusing.

I find it helps instill my practise outside the kwoon and aids in projecting intention with reaction. A lot of the times I'll take that 'picture' with me to practise and specifically work it through, whether on the bag, a partner or otherwise.

Curious if any others do something similar or what else you find yourself doing.

I'll also do this with multiple people walking ont he street. But then again, I also see ghosts /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Jaguar Wong
03-28-2000, 01:36 AM
nospam, I gotta admit that I do the same thing. I never get caught up into details, though (ie: if he tries to hit me with a right cross, I'll just...). The thought process is more like trying to asses their attributes by the way they carry themselves, and what kind of openings I would need to create to survive (like the knees, groin, stay to the outside, and go for the spine, etc...).

This is good for me, cause the streets (even the suburbs) of Las Vegas aren't really the best place to let your mind wander thinkin' about how cool you are http://www.kungfuonline.com/forum/roundtable/tongue.gif . It does keep you aware of your surroundings, but sometimes you may get too carried away, assessing one person, and not notice the guy behind him. Then you kick yourself for being so focused on one potiential threat. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Some people really get caught up in a whole romanticized situation of how the fight would go, and which specific techniques they would use to vanquish their foe(s). This is a dangerous mindset, becuase it breeds the egotistical mindset. They begin to think that they can easily defeat their villains with a few fancy moves, and escape unharmed. That's the type of ego stroking that's plaguing the martial arts nowadays.

------------------
Jaguar Wong
www.superaction.com (http://www.superaction.com)

nospam
03-28-2000, 01:41 AM
http://www.kungfuonline.com/forum/roundtable/eek.gif

but Wong...I really could with just a few moves!!

I like vanquishing foes, and looking cool ta boot. After all, kung fu is kool, baby.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Very Ignorant Mantis
03-28-2000, 01:49 AM
me too. I alwys think things like hmmm... earing - that could go... long hair for grabbing...leather jacket offers some protection but good to grab onto... Uh oh, scars on knuckles...

/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Big Dog
03-31-2000, 01:35 AM
I have to admit, I've done it on occassion. Especially when I was in Bosnia (we were caught off guard one day by a little grungy kid who, after asking for money, pulled out a difused grenade from his pocket and showed us - some of the locals were under the impression we would give cash for arms).

But I have, when I was alone at the movies or the mall, and usually it is only a short lived thought, because, typically, some female attracts my attention and then I start the whole process over again. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hey I'm a guy!

Bob

Big Dog
04-06-2000, 10:12 PM
Hello

peehoo
05-16-2001, 07:26 PM
i m not paranoid enough to look on every one as apossible aggressor, but i think situational awareness is important certain people react differently in front of others put a bloke in front of a group of girls add a spilled drink and its kick off so i would say size up the whole.
you need to consider 1 pontential for trouble ( a bar or pub high, shopping in tescos(walmart etc) low
2 location (nice round kicks are no good in a train might work in a car park can anything come to hand as a weapon )
3 Back up/ Escape routes (you end up with a good take down and ground tech his mates kick you in the head a dozen times)
4 size of the opponent should come low down on the list but lets face it in real life big people are more likley to be the ones to avoid

do without doing