PDA

View Full Version : inspirational pictures

foolinthedeck
11-18-2003, 11:53 AM
hello.
would anyone be able to share with me some inspirational pictures?
any nice shots of people doing internal arts.
any nice shots of horizons.
any nice shots of zen.
many thanks.

Ren Blade
11-18-2003, 12:41 PM
This is an ad for a video but it's sample footage my master doing Yang Tai Chi.
ftp://ftp.ymaaschool.com/pub/Web_QTs_240x180/04%20Taijiquan%20Classical%20Yang.mov

backbreaker
11-18-2003, 04:29 PM
Wow, I was surprised by the fa jin power. Cool clip. I have gone to seminars done by Sam Masich who I think is a student of Yang Jwing Ming(Not totally sure though) and students of his have competed in push hands tournaments in the town I live in. His push hands and fighting skills I would say are awesome

Brad
11-18-2003, 06:07 PM
Dr. Yang's daughter did pretty well in push hands competition at the USWU nationals in '02, but eventually lost to William C.C. Chen's daughter, I think. I was disapointed she didn't compete again this year though.

I think I've asked this before, but was that Yang fast form inherited or did he come up with that himself?

Ren Blade
11-19-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by backbreaker
Wow, I was surprised by the fa jin power. Cool clip. I have gone to seminars done by Sam Masich who I think is a student of Yang Jwing Ming(Not totally sure though) and students of his have competed in push hands tournaments in the town I live in. His push hands and fighting skills I would say are awesome
Sam Masich is a student of Master Liang Shou Yu. Master Liang and Master Yang used to be friends. When they were friends alot of Master Yang's students were learning from Master Liang and Master Liang students were learning from Master Yang, trading back and forth with knowledge. So there were some exchange. But Sam was mainly a student of Master Liang and not Master Yang's.

Ren Blade
11-19-2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Brad
Dr. Yang's daughter did pretty well in push hands competition at the USWU nationals in '02, but eventually lost to William C.C. Chen's daughter, I think. I was disapointed she didn't compete again this year though.

I think I've asked this before, but was that Yang fast form inherited or did he come up with that himself?
Master Yang's daughter is Kathy. I was there watching her compete against William CC Chen's daughter. It was more like in '01 or '00 as I recall.

But she competed in New York City Summer Bash in June of 2002. W. CC Chen's daughter wasn't there but Kathy won her division in pushing hands and won every division in weapons/barehand for both internal and external. And took grandchampionship there. I only competed a couple things in that one. One in advanced external barehands and placed 3rd cause I lost points for finishing my form 2 seconds too soon being under the minimun time limit. And the other was in open division for internal and did Liu He Ba Fa and again lost and didn't place anywhere cause I finished 10 seconds early or something like that. I didn't read the rules before I competed. :p Competition isn't important to me anyway. It was just for fun.

What Master Yang did in the video is not necessarily called the fast form. We only have one barehand form for our Yang Tai Chi. It's just the standard traditional long Yang form that we do. It's just he expressed fa jing in the movements. You can train the form in it's slow, to slower, to even really really slow to medium speed, a little faster, even more faster and Whoa, did you see that? Yang Tai Chi doesn't have to be necessarily slow. It can be so fast enough to rival many external styles. Fa Jing was always a part of Yang style. It's of course more advanced Yang Tai Chi. Beginners train slow. As they advance, they begin training it at a more medium speed. Then the advanced students train with Fa Jing in every movement. After that, during self practice, they can place fa jing anywhere to everywhere in the form or continue to just train it slow. The Yang Tai Chi that Master Yang teaches is for martial and health.

The roots of Yang go back to Chen. The creator of Yang style was a Chen stylist. Fa Jing would naturally be part of Yang Tai Chi training.

froggy
11-19-2003, 06:54 PM
Ok, we need pictures and videos of the aforementioned two daughters.

Seriously.

froggy
11-19-2003, 06:55 PM
I'd love to see their match, but even if it's just them pushing hands with others.

Can anyone help?

Syd
11-20-2003, 04:47 AM
What Master Yang did in the video is not necessarily called the fast form. We only have one barehand form for our Yang Tai Chi. It's just the standard traditional long Yang form that we do. It's just he expressed fa jing in the movements. You can train the form in it's slow, to slower, to even really really slow to medium speed, a little faster, even more faster and Whoa, did you see that?

Ren,

I am interested in where your lineage of the Yang fast form comes from? In other words who does it come down from in your training?

In my own system we study the combat old Yang Style of Yang Lu Chan which comes down from Yang Lu Chan to Yang Shou Hou then Chang Yiu Chun and then my own teacher. All of our training curriculum is from Yang Shou Hou and is 100% dedicated to combat Taiji. I am always interested to know where people's versions of the Yang Fast Forms come from.

Best, Syd

Ren Blade
11-20-2003, 11:19 AM
Our lineage is from Yang Lu Chan.

Master Yang's first Tai Chi teacher was Kao Tao. Kao Tao learned Tai Chi from Yang Lu Chan's eldest son, Yang Ban Hou.

Master Yang had studied Tai Chi as well with various masters.

Of course combat should be the by-product of Yang Tai Chi training so Fa Jing should be naturally be part of the training. If Yang Tai Chi is trained correctly, it is combative and the health benefit is the result of training it correctly for martial. So we don't have a Yang Form that is dedicated to just fast. We only have one form which is the long traditional one which is practiced at various speeds. From slow to medium to fast. Fast is where the Fa Jing is expressed in the movements of the form.

Syd
11-20-2003, 11:28 AM
Ren,

Thanks for that and regarding health & combat we are in total agreement. Ofcourse I mentioned the combat aspects with more force because so many these days think Yangs Large Frame is only for health and nothing but health, and the original forms have been cut so short!

This annoys me greatly and in our system we practice Yang Cheng Fu's 1st variation, long 108, as our primary health form, as well as many different qigongs. This form is done at three different speeds also, as well as the Yang Lu Chan small frame/fast form. Fajin is expressed in the fast form only and we perform small and large San Sau with fajin which comes from Yang Shou Hou, and many of the original weapons forms which have their fajin intact.

Nice to meet another Yang Styler who performs the complete art.

Best, Syd

Ren Blade
11-20-2003, 12:47 PM
I only trained Yang Tai Chi for a brief period with Master Yang. I'm mainly an external stylist and training the Long Fist/Praying Mantis/White Crane under Master Yang.

I did Tai Chi during the time when my knees were so damaged and I could not do the external styles training. I couldn't even walk up the stairs without looking/feeling crippled. I trained Tai Chi til I nursed my knees back to health, then I sorta just stopped training Tai Chi. But on and off I still practice the form. But I only remember the first 3rd of the form now even though I did learn the whole thing. I'm only 27 now. I'll probably return to doing Tai Chi in my 40s. Right now, I don't have the mental maturity to train Tai Chi diligently. But during my time spent training Tai Chi and still currently discussing/observation of Tai Chi with the Tai Chi students and with Master Yang, I am very familiar with Tai Chi.

Yeah, I'm sick of Yang Tai Chi as being recognized as only a health art. It is a combat art and there are a couple of the Tai Chi students that spars full contact with the Shaolin students at our school.

Health is a by-product of Yang Tai Chi being trained for martial. Yang Tai Chi has 2 sides of the coin today. Side 1 of the Yang Tai Chi coin is taught and trained for real martial arts which results in good health. Side 2 of the Yang Tai Chi coin only knows the health side and watered Yang Tai Chi down so much it's not much of what Yang Tai Chi is supposed to be. Unfortunately, side 2 of that coin is the one that's more well known.

Yang Tai Chi was originally trained for defense. It was also a style used by the bodyguards in China back then. If it was for health, then how was it that the bodyguards that trained only Yang Tai Chi could protect anyone?

Syd
11-20-2003, 01:31 PM
Ren,

I couldn't agree more about the popular conception regarding Yang Style Taiji. This in many respects has been brought on by the street & park Taiji artists that populate China, by and large the health aspect is all we generally see, that includes China & the West as well!

I am very familiar with the Yang Lu Chan history of training the Manchu bodyguards and infact I have an opportunity to train under the son of Grandmaster Li Li Qun who is the inventor of back step qigong and was the Secretary General of the Wu Jian Quan Association in Shanghai under the 3rd generation Wu standard bearer Ma Yueh Liang. His son, Sifu Sam Li also trained under Ma Yueh Liang and these guys have their lineage down from the Manchurian Bodyguard that Yang Lu Chan taught his small/fast frame to.

Whilst remaining within my branch of Yang style I want to learn the Wu family version of the Yang Lu Chan fast frame and their own version of the various weapons forms to get as much knowledge about Yang Lu Chans methods as best as I can. It is thought incorrectly by some that Lu Chan only taught the Imperial Bodyguard and Princes this particular small frame but it was also practised within the Yang family as well but my branch has a slightly different version of the small frame than the Wu's so it will be very interesting to train and compare styles.

I'll get the best of both worlds hopefully. What you have said about healing yourself through Taiji is so true of many, many, many people! I have been healed and helped by my practice of Taiji in countless ways and know this is a system that will keep me busy for the rest of my life because it is so intricate and requires total dedication to internalize and many years of dedication taboot. I have been studying Yang Style for about 3 years and I am only just beginning to see some doors opening into area's I never dreamed I would see. Thats the beauty and mystery of Taijiquan when practised correctly.

Not many people can stick it out which is sadly why we see so few true Taiji fighters... and so many doing short forms only for health.

Best, Syd

foolinthedeck
11-23-2003, 01:54 PM
err... yeah.
hijacked, thanks ren blade!
and i couldnt even load u pic anyway.
bogus

CaptinPickAxe
11-23-2003, 05:10 PM
Ren Blade,

You study under Dr.Yang? It must be a great honor.

Ren Blade
11-24-2003, 09:00 AM
Yeah I'm a student of Dr. Yang's. Mostly the external stuff like the LongFist/White Crane right now. I did a little Tai Chi under him when I had knee problems a few years ago. I'm not actively doing Tai Chi now.

Brad
11-24-2003, 07:12 PM
Knees suck :mad: