PDA

View Full Version : need help loosening hip muscles

toykilla
11-18-2003, 07:19 PM
most of my body is pretty flexible but my hips are rediculously tight. .. i think this is mostly from excessive workouts (not martial arts) when i was younger without stretching.

what are some good stretches to do for this area? what kinda progress should i expect if going for the splits eventually?

any help would be appreciated

fa_jing
11-18-2003, 08:17 PM
pigeon pose, lotus position, half lotus

toykilla
11-19-2003, 07:21 AM
what is the pigeon pose?

Tak
11-19-2003, 10:28 AM
I'm in the same boat. The tendons behind my knees are very tight as well. Hell, all the tendons in my legs are tight - too much running, improper stretching.

yu shan
11-21-2003, 11:00 PM
sounds like you need an ajustment. either one side or maybe the both could be locked up. very simple

toykilla
11-22-2003, 01:23 PM
are you suggesting i go to a chiropractor?

Scythefall
11-22-2003, 03:20 PM
Well, I'm a computer technician and I sit in a desk all day, so I have the same hip problem. The exercises I use to open up the hips after that kind of a day is first, I just sit down and put both legs straight out and try to touch my chin to my toes, then draw in one foot and stetch towards the extended..then alternate. After that, i still don't have the ability to do a pancake stretch without getting a cramp in my left or right hip, so here's the exercise I do to get the hips to open up. You get on your hands and knee, put the soles of your feet together, hold that for a few seconds, then drop down on your elbows..then push your tailbone back towards you feet. Basically, you're on your knees and elbows and your knees are being split by your body weight and the additional strength from you pushing back towards your feet really adds to the stretch.

Stretching is a very genetic thing and some people have to work harder at staying stretched out than others, so just be aware of the weak points and take special care to stretch them out. I know how those hip cramps can feel when you're trying to stretch out for a side kick.

Azrael
11-22-2003, 04:56 PM
Bagua circle walking would fix that straight up. Other than that, work up a nice sweat, and then get stuck into some dynamic stretching.

Thundermudd
11-23-2003, 07:09 AM
Start working on the postures you find difficult due to your ailment. Do them in a static fashion. When you feel things begin to tense up, relax as much as possible.