PDA

View Full Version : Muay Thai

chen zhen
08-30-2001, 08:47 PM
since i dont know much about this style, i would like you to give me some answers:

what is the footwork like?

the punches in MT looks alot like western boxing,
but are they equal to W. boxing, regarding strategies and efficiency?

is the fighting stance i've seen in MT, the one were you have your forearms up in front of your head and all the weight on your back leg, any good? it doesnt seem like you can punch very well from that position?

Grappling-Insanity
09-01-2001, 07:59 AM
MT's hand techs r pretty much western boxing punches. Or course you would'nt be able to out box a boxer but you'll get good. I dont know much about the footwork. I've never heard of the stance ur talking about...

Stranger
09-01-2001, 04:21 PM
Traditional MT with the stance you are speaking of has boxing-like hands, but it aint boxing. There is no jab in MT. Whether you throw with the lead or the rear, the left or the right, it is simply a straight punch and meant to inflict damage not set-up or probe.

Traditional MT does not use infighting boxing punches to the same level as boxers (ie. hooks and uppercuts) because there are many other infighting tools for them to choose between.

You are right about the stance not providing as much forward power to the punch. That is the tradeoff you must make when your leg's safety is not guaranteed by the rules of boxing.

Most American schools blend western boxing hands with traditional MT, as all that the former has to offer is not contained in the latter.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

MixedMartialArtist
09-03-2001, 11:29 PM
The stance you're speaking of is the traditional Muay Thai stance. The hands are raised like you described:
1)to guard the head almost exclusively (as traditional training teaches you to absorb quite a bit of upper-body punishment) and the legs are used to block everything else and

2)to facilitate the elbow that is very common (and effective) in MT. I'm not sure about the weight sharing in the legs, but that sounds right. The front leg is used mostly as a jab-like probe and is quickly drawn up for a block. The back leg is used for those huge roundhouse kicks MT is famous for.
If I've misspoke or been misinformed, sorry, but this is accurate to my knowledge. I hope this helps.

Khun Kao Charuad
09-10-2001, 05:18 AM
Muay Thai hand techniques are very similar in many respects to Western boxing, though Muay Thai's boxing would be called more rudimentary. This is due to the rest of the Muay Thai arsenal which can nullify or compensate for Western boxing tools.

For instance, *most* (but by no means all) Thai boxers only use the most basic boxing skills. Jab, Cross, the occassional Hook and Uppercut. Head motion is next to non-existant. But the reason for this is that Thai boxers compensate for this seeming lack with kicks, elbows, and clinching knee strikes.

The footwork is very similar to Western boxing, but is modified to facilitate kicking.

Now the stance. This depends. I use and teach four variations of the Muay Thai stance to facilitate different strategies in the ring. There is a stance to facilitate Boxing, one to facilitate offensive kicking, one for defensive kicking, and another for defensive counter-striking.

The stance that you are referring to falls in the category of a defensive kicking stance. The weight is to the rear with the guard high in a peek-a-boo boxing guard to give the head maximum protection. The bodys weight on the rear leg facilitates easy defense and counter attacking with the lead leg, but it is easy to transition from this stance to another to facilitate a burst of offense. All you have to do is let your weight come forward as put your leg back down after a kick or "leg shield" and step in with your attack. You can easily transition into a boxing or offensive kicking stance this way.

Hope this info helps.

Khun Kao Charuad; SuriyaSak/SitSuriya Muay Thai

straight blast
10-01-2001, 02:20 AM
I trained Muay Thai for a couple of years & never used that stance. Instead we used more like an upright sprinter's stance as it allows you to attack, retreat, defend etc. eith great ease.
As to the high guard, the boxing techniques in Muay Thai aren't as good (in my opionion having sparred several boxers) as boxing but the high guard is to protect from the opponent's elbows, which are a very real threat. An elbow to the body doesn't hurt much, but an elbow to the head DOES.
Hope this helped! :cool:

"Through strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail"

Watchman
10-01-2001, 02:54 AM
Welcome to the board.

I read your profile and will be the first to say that it will be nice having someone posting with your extensive experience and background in Muay Thai.

Straight Blast,

A big welcome to you as well. Nice to see another Wing Chunner.

chen zhen
11-02-2001, 09:20 PM
i would also like to ask if the training in MT is relatively safe, or can you get seriously hurt during training?

MixedMartialArtist
11-02-2001, 10:26 PM
Training in MT is just as dangerous as training in any other style. If you have a competent teacher, and you take training/sparring seriously, training MT is as safe/dangerous as training (for the sake of example) Wing Chun or BJJ.

chen zhen
11-09-2001, 09:23 PM
Full contact elbow and knee strikes are'nt used during MT sparring, right? Or are they used with protection gear?

Tvebak
11-09-2001, 10:37 PM
Chen Zhen: where do you want to practice MT?

chen zhen
11-10-2001, 08:45 PM
preferably somewhere in my neighbourhood (Nørrebro)
Or what exactly do you mean?

Kim
11-29-2001, 10:21 PM
Can someone give me a summary of what this style is like? I am searching for a new school and there is a Muay Thai school in my area, I just don't know what it is like. I know...go check it out...yes, I will. But, can anyone just tell me a little about it? Thanks.

Kim
11-29-2001, 10:21 PM
Can someone give me a summary of what this style is like? I am searching for a new school and there is a Muay Thai school in my area, I just don't know what it is like. I know...go check it out...yes, I will. But, can anyone just tell me a little about it? Thanks.

Kim
11-29-2001, 10:48 PM
Never mind, I just read the thread about Questions on Muay Thai and got what I needed. Thanks anyway!

chen zhen
12-09-2001, 11:31 AM
WHAT HAPPENED? before the forums changed style there was like 25 posts, and now theres only 11! WHAT'S GOING ON?:confused: :confused:

DragonzRage
12-12-2001, 03:46 PM
Hi. I am an amateur Muay Thai fighter. Stances in muay thai can vary based on what school/method you are training under and whether it is traditional MT or Americanized MT, etc etc. I'm not sure how to describe the footwork except to say that fluid, conservative movement is emphasized more than specific stances/postures and whatnot. All the muay thai i've come across uses more or less western boxing punching techniques. I'd say that in general, traditional Thailand style MT guys aren't really all that great with boxing though. The greater emphasis is on kicking, kneeing and elbows. Punching is only one part of the equation. In America where boxing is popular and most competitions do not allow elbows, you will find more gyms that emphasize boxing more.

I don't think there's anything exceptionally dangerous about the sparring training in MT. In most gym you will rarely see anyone regularly going full blast with elbows and everything. You don't want to get injured so that you can't fight! In America the full contact sparring will usually be just hands or hands and kicks. Sometimes they'll do light play sparring with everything, just to get the timing. In fact in Thailand I don't even think they usually do any full contact sparring because they fight like twice a month so its not practical to sustain injuries in training. To train the clinch and knees you do the plum clinching drills. The real hard aspect of MT training is the conditioning, which is very tough. You gotta spend endless hours jumping rope, shadowboxing and hitting the bag. To really hone your technique you'll need to have a trainer that'll really drill you hard on the thai pads. If you don't have a trainer who knows how to hold pads, you're not gonna learn good MT technique. In most good MT gyms, if you want to train seriously you will probably be expected to fight at some point in time.

SevenStar
12-20-2001, 11:10 PM
That is odd... Mine was one of the ones that was deleted. Anyway, good posts by both Dragonzrage and Khun. Where I trained, we had three main stances - a boxing stance, a defensive kicking stance and an offensive kicking stance.

chen zhen
01-13-2002, 11:20 AM
What are the rules in MT competitions?

SevenStar
01-14-2002, 09:00 PM
Today at work, I was in the gym pounding away on the billy bob torso thingy, and this girl walked in and started stretching and working her abs. before she left, she asked me if I had taken muay thai before. "You are one of the few people I've seen hit that thing without being nauseated by it. They tell me they trained this or that, and when I watch them, I see their hands drop, sloppy kicks, etc. It's disgusting" In my head I'm thinking "WTF???" so I asked if she had trained before. Turns out that she had trained muay thai for three years and was a senior student in her class while she was in Boston. She offered to hold the pads for me and train together sometime. Sounds like I may have a new training partner!

Xebsball
01-14-2002, 09:04 PM
Thats very cool man :cool:

diego
01-14-2002, 09:07 PM
and everything will be ok:)

qeySuS
01-14-2002, 09:23 PM
lol diego i was thinking the same thing. How happy will the misses be when she finds out you have a hot new workout partner? :D

Qi dup
01-14-2002, 09:35 PM
That's pretty cool. Is she hot???;)

Apprentice
01-14-2002, 09:56 PM
same as Qi Dub:

That's pretty cool. Is she hot???

SevenStar
01-14-2002, 10:00 PM
yeah, she is. I didn't wanna sound like too much of a pig, so I left that part out. I don't think the missus would mind - She didn't care about the aerobics teacher that was an xfl cheerleader.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-14-2002, 10:09 PM
your wife kicks a$$!!!

sevenstar just gets to go around boinking hot girls and still come home and get some!!!

how cool is that???

Serpent
01-14-2002, 10:21 PM
GDA - WTF is with the severed head in your sidebar!? Please explain!

diego
01-14-2002, 10:45 PM
when he said training he didnt mean boinking.

SevenStar
01-14-2002, 11:24 PM
yeah, not boinking...training.

See, that's how stuff gets started. Mrs. WaterDragon knows Mrs. SevenStar. If she were to read that and give Mrs. Sevenstar a call, I'd have to make up something, like Qeysus hacked my account and started this thread. :)

Martial Joe
01-15-2002, 12:26 AM
Dont tell Mr. Sevenstar that your training partner is a hotty...

SevenStar
01-15-2002, 01:08 AM
Mr.? err....

diego
01-15-2002, 01:11 AM
namsayn??!....

qeySuS
01-15-2002, 02:36 AM
well i am after all a l33t h4x0r so it's very propable.

Cipher
01-15-2002, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by qeySuS
well i am after all a l33t h4x0r so it's very propable.

Aaaahhhhh, not a leet speaker. H3y m@n, h0w5 !t g0!ng? Y0u 5p3@k |[unny l33t l@n6u@63.

Sorry I had to do that.

-P3@c3

Water Dragon
01-15-2002, 07:43 AM
LOL, ask if she'll help you work your guard pass. I'll try and keep the Lady Dragon off the board for a while.

Sharky
01-15-2002, 08:06 AM
i'm gonna tell your wife, llalaallaaallaaa

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-15-2002, 08:10 AM
sevenstar is a player.

Sharky
01-15-2002, 08:13 AM
can i play? what are we playing?

dezhen2001
01-15-2002, 08:18 AM
"i a'int a playa - i just crush a lot"

to quote Big Pun (RIP)

:D

david

Sharky
01-15-2002, 08:20 AM
heh that's the cleaner version... i burst out laughing wheni heard " i ain't a player i just fu.ck a lot "

it was the way he said it ;)

Ford Prefect
01-15-2002, 09:34 AM
Seven Star,

Is she asian? There was this hotty asian that could kick ass in the kick boxing gym I trained at here in bean town.

Jaguar Wong
01-15-2002, 09:37 AM
Why you guys gotta bring that up. I was havin' a great day until that. :(

What's next, who would win in a freestyle: Tupac, or Biggie?

Anyway,
SevenStar, all I gotta say is you better not let a girl out kick you :p (I mean no offense to the ladies here...oh wait I do :p j/k). That's cool, though. It's hard enough for me to scrounge up a training partner, and when I do, it's always another guy (my wife just gets too hyper and starts beating me up, no matter what drill we're doing :)). I even have a hard time getting my brother to train, so training partners for me are few and far between. Maybe I should free up my schedule to start going to more classes again.

Crimson Phoenix
01-15-2002, 09:51 AM
We'll never know, because eventually Tupac would rap about how he did Faith and all and Biggie would get mad and it would turn into a huge gunfight, so you can't really know the winner of the freestyle since it hasn't been wrapped up.

qeySuS
01-15-2002, 10:00 AM
i am a l33t h4x0r yes, i dont overdo my l33t sp34k.

Some people use |< for K and such. A simple introduction to my oldschool 13375p34k.

i=1
e=3
t=7
s=5
a=4
o=0

That's about it, sometimes it's overdone and then it's not l33t anymore, i f.x. spell l33t not l337 because l33t looks better and is therefor more l33t.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-15-2002, 10:17 AM
"GDA - WTF is with the severed head in your sidebar!? Please explain!"

after all my posts you really feel that you need an expalnation for a lil ol disemobied head?

MonkeySlap Too
01-15-2002, 10:20 AM
You can see if she want to practice throws...

Qi dup
01-15-2002, 10:23 AM
Good luck SevenStar! It's really cool to have someone you can really train with. You can improve so much just doing simple stuff with a person who knows what there doing. your wife must be a pretty cool lady! right on man!

SevenStar
01-15-2002, 11:24 AM
Ford, Nah, she's not asian. Her school moved - somewhere outside of boston I believe.

Ford Prefect
01-15-2002, 11:40 AM
For Muay Thai, it's one of two places around here. Boston Muay Thai (formerly fairtax muay thai) & Sityodtong Muay Thai. If she went to sityodtong, then perhaps I'd know her. ;)

SanShou Guru
01-15-2002, 12:24 PM
Ford if you were talking about BSS, us then the girl you are talking about graduated and moved back home. But we have three new ones that will be fighting this year.

diego
01-15-2002, 01:50 PM
i am a l33t h4x0r yes, i dont overdo my l33t sp34k.
oldschool 13375p34k.

i=1
e=3
t=7
s=5
a=4
o=0

Gosh.....

qeySuS
01-15-2002, 02:31 PM
glad to see we'r on the same page diego.

diego
01-15-2002, 02:33 PM
but i have not a clue what you be on

SevenStar
01-15-2002, 02:47 PM
fairtex? Isn't that alex gong's school? If she was there, she could probably kick my asre, or at least give me a run for my money.

SanShou Guru
01-15-2002, 02:51 PM
Fairtex is in CA, the Boston school was a Franchise School Gong's.

qeySuS
01-15-2002, 02:53 PM
Then we pretty much are on the same level if you dont understand me diego because half the time i dont know wtf your on about :)

diego
01-15-2002, 03:51 PM
as long as thiers common courtasy i dont see whats the problem.

txwingchun
01-15-2002, 06:58 PM
H4x0r is for script kiddies:D
Thats great sevenstar I great to practice with a hot chick also, But the best part is she's my girlfriend so boinking is included with a hard workout:D

Water Dragon
01-15-2002, 07:11 PM
Mr. Sevenstar, this is Mrs. Waterdragon. I have the pleasure of reading your story to my husband. I don't think you should be afraid of me telling your wife. If by any chance, she would to get upset she would probably talk to that girl and have her kick your ass!!

Water Dragon
01-15-2002, 07:12 PM
The above post really was from my wife, LOL.

SevenStar
01-15-2002, 09:43 PM
LOL!!!! you're supposed to be keeping her away! Err, I mean.... Hi Mrs. WaterDragon, how have you been? :D

qeySuS
01-16-2002, 05:06 AM
oh no does she know about our secret cuddling club!?!?!

:eek:

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-16-2002, 05:13 AM
:D

Ford Prefect
01-16-2002, 06:17 AM
Guru,

3 new ones, eh? Maybe I can find time to make it over there... ;) The only down side is me getting my arse kicked. Heh!

SirenOfAcreLane
01-30-2003, 09:56 AM
I'm hoping someone can shed light on the specific techniques they use to make their legs so big. I know some people are going to reply with "kick a lot" and "run", but i have been doing both for years, and my legs aren't like theirs. This is led me to believe that they must have some kind of training technique which i don't know about.

If anyone can shed light on this subject, i'd appreciate it. Thanks.

ShaolinTiger00
01-30-2003, 09:58 AM
there is no magic , no secret.

lots of kicks to the heavy bag.

red5angel
01-30-2003, 10:01 AM
I just started and I know they have me doing hindu squats and some jumping type drills for power.

My guess is that alot of those guys at the top do some weight training. In my school alot of the kickboxers have strong legs but I wouldn't call them huge.

lkfmdc
01-30-2003, 10:02 AM
"big"? Most skilled Muay Thai fighters don't have "big" legs, they have muscular legs, particularly big calf muscles

jump rope and ALWAYS stay on your toes

sorry to be redundant, but KICK KICK KICK KICK KICK thai pads and heavy bags

when you are done doing that

KICK KICK KICK KICK KICK thai pads and heavy bags

squats without weights is also important for leg strength

then, of course. there is

KICK KICK KICK KICK KICK the thai pads and heavy bags

SevenStar
01-30-2003, 10:26 AM
exactly what lkfmdc said.

ShaolinTiger00
01-30-2003, 10:31 AM
jump rope and ALWAYS stay on your toes

Could you actually jump rope flat footed??

I can''t even imagine it.

lkfmdc
01-30-2003, 11:11 AM
jump rope and (end of statement about jumping rope, OK?) (as in when practicing - always stay on your toes)

SirenOfAcreLane
01-30-2003, 12:38 PM
Thanks. So basically, i have to just kick until i can kick no more, and then do some more kicks.

Also, i heard about sopme training technique the thia's use where they just bounce on the inside of a car tire..Anyone heard of this?

Oh, and what is a hindu squat?

carly
01-30-2003, 12:41 PM
I know that some Thai boxers practice kicking the trunks of young banana trees, but there probably aren't too many of those in tropical Britain...

red5angel
01-30-2003, 12:50 PM
sirenofacreland - A hindu squat is a body weight excersise.

You stand up straight, legs a little less then shoulder width apart with arms crossed horizontally in front of you. Bend at the knees until you are in a sitting squatting position and come back up. As you go down, you swing your arms back behind your waist to help maintain balance as you go down, and then swing them back up to the starting position as you come up. I am doing 100 at the moment and it's tough!

SirenOfAcreLane
01-30-2003, 03:00 PM
Thanks for replying, man. Those sound like something i should have been doing a long time ago. I love any excersise that doesn't cost me money in equipment :)

red5angel
01-30-2003, 03:14 PM
It works really well, you will probably be shocked at how hard they are at first. however my legs have gained mass and muscular endurance since I started them. Doing 100 takes me like 3 minutes or something like that so they are quick and easy too!

SirenOfAcreLane
01-30-2003, 05:41 PM
Do you do them everyday?

straight blast
01-30-2003, 05:56 PM
Also, i heard about sopme training technique the thia's use where they just bounce on the inside of a car tire..Anyone heard of this?

Yeah, this one is an easy one. You sit the aforementioned tire flat on the ground, stand on it on your toes, and bounce back and forward between feet. Very easy, works the calf muscles like crazy & doesn't have as much impact as skipping. Your feet should be on the inside edge of the tire too.

SirenOfAcreLane
01-30-2003, 06:46 PM
That sounds ****ing fun. I really hate skipping, so knowning an alternative suits me fine. I'm glad i made this thread now, i've learnt a few new techniques.

Thanks everyone.

SevenStar
01-30-2003, 10:12 PM
whether you hate it or not, you need to skip - great cardio and good for footwork.

also, since you like bodyweight exercises, you can do single leg squats. Note that doing these bodyweight exercises will not achieve big legs, like you mentioned earlier. Is that what you're after? If so, you really need to squat -weighted.

SirenOfAcreLane
01-31-2003, 07:22 AM
I can't skip man. For some reason, my technique is so ****, that my entire head pounds after about five minutes. It doesn't make me feel good afterwards..
I'm not looking for big legs, as much as i am looking for big ankles and calves.
I can't find anything on the internet that deals with making your ankles bigger. I guess it's because there isn't much muscle there.

But yeah, like i say, i just wanna get huge calves.

Also, is there any way to safely squat at home without using a squat rack, and without habing to have the weights on your shoulders?

red5angel
01-31-2003, 07:28 AM
7*- "whether you hate it or not, you need to skip - great cardio and good for footwork"

Now whose the girl? ;)

SirenOfAcreLane - I do them every other day, give them a day to recoup. I usually do some other body weight type exercises, like tensed leg squats etc...

Phrost
01-31-2003, 08:19 AM
Getting big legs from doing anything is just a matter of genetics. If I even think of doing any kind of squats or jumping drills, my legs start bulking up like crazy. Contrasted to my upper body where I've got to bust my ass to gain mass.

If you want bulk in your legs, just do leg extensions on any standard weight bench, 90% 1RM, for 5-7 reps. This will work your quads, and give you bulk. ( I'm not sure this would be the best way to get pure kicking power though.)

Other than that, it's all up to your parents how easy you make gains in any area.

SirenOfAcreLane
01-31-2003, 10:15 AM
red5 - thanks for the info man.

Phrost - Genetics is my problem. I'm a pretty small person, and my legs have always been naturally thin. Martial arts have made them very strong, but they still look ainfully weak at the ankles. I guess i gotta live with it and curse my parents :)

IronFist
01-31-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by SirenOfAcreLane
I can't find anything on the internet that deals with making your ankles bigger. I guess it's because there isn't much muscle there.

But yeah, like i say, i just wanna get huge calves.

Take a look at your ankle. As you said, it's all bones. You're not going to make it bigger. It's kind of like your wrists... there's muscle insertions down there, but by the time the muscle gets there it's really thin and so even if you induce a lot of hypertrophy it will never get very big.

Calves are another story.

I would wager than Muay Thai guys have developed calves because of bouncing on their toes a lot, jumping rope, etc.

But if you want huge calves it's going to take good genetics and a lot of weight. You can only make a muscle so big from bodyweight stuff alone, after that it takes extra weight. However, the soreness you get from weighted calf training may interfere with your martial arts practice, so... I'd say if you're just starting, don't do any weighted stuff for a few months and see if you naturally develop calves like how you want.

Phrost said:
If you want bulk in your legs, just do leg extensions on any standard weight bench, 90% 1RM, for 5-7 reps. This will work your quads, and give you bulk. ( I'm not sure this would be the best way to get pure kicking power though.)

Leg extensions blow ass. Please do not do them, especially with a lot of weight. Um, unless you want to shred your knees. If you want mass in your quads, do heavy squats with a barbell. And don't forget to eat. Squatting builds a lot of explosive power, too. Some olympic lifters (yeah the big fat guys) have huge vertical jumps because of their training (granted, they do train explosive lifts in the first place), even despite their size.

Good luck.

Don't forget to squat :)

IronFist

Cody
11-18-2003, 09:38 PM
Anybody get the FairtexGear Newsletter? The attached 11/12 press release was interesting.
I quote from it: "In June 2003, Fairtex Equipment Company Limited terminated the licensing agreement for the US gyms operated by Alex Gong....." ".....Fairtex Muay Thai USA will remain in San Francisco with the grand opening of Fairtex Muay Thai & Fitness gym....."

Anyone know anything about this. I noticed that Bunkerd Fairtex didn't seem to be mentioned anywhere. (?)

I'm curious.

Cody

KungFuFighting
11-19-2003, 08:13 PM
hmmm, alex gong was killed a few months ago, so that may be why......i dunno

Cody
11-19-2003, 10:35 PM
okay, I'll add more of what I read. darned thing won't copy and paste.

"In June 2003, Fairtex Equipment Company Limited terminated the licensing agreement for the U.S. gyms operated by Alex Gong and took legal action against Gong for trademark infringement, dilution and all related claims......" "With the very unfortunate death of Alex Gong, Fairtex Muay Thai USA will remain in San Francisco with the grand opening of Fairtex Muay Thai and Fitness gym in January 2004."

just found it puzzling.

Cody

Shaolindynasty
02-16-2004, 02:21 PM
Anybody know of any good MT sites that have tips on training, conditioning etc or any other info?

I just started training MT about a week ago and I love it. I think it was the new fresh thing I needed to jumpstart my training again. I'm looking for any info on MT anybody has.

Kymus
02-16-2004, 02:28 PM
http://stickgrappler.tripod.com/mt/mt.html

that'll keep you busy for a little while.

ShaolinTiger00
02-16-2004, 04:56 PM
go to underground kickboxing forum (http://www.mma.tv/TUF/index.cfm?ac=SetMasterFrame&FID=23&PID=17) and if you want a good asnwer create a thread Attn:Khun Kao (Brooks Miller)

or check out the AXkickboxing forum. Sandy Holt provides good info.

norther practitioner
02-17-2004, 11:00 AM
How is Khun Kao doing, he hasn't been here in a while that I've seen....

Suntzu
02-17-2004, 12:14 PM
i was sparring him sunday......... he's well... i'm bruised.... :D

norther practitioner
02-17-2004, 12:18 PM
lol.. cool.. sounds good.

SevenStar
07-31-2004, 07:42 AM
I was digging through the archives and found a book that details the various aspects of a power generation. Below is a summary of each energy:

transition: energy gained from motion relative to an opponent's position

velocity: speed of the body and body weapon as it approaches its target

rotation: turning of the hip while delivering a strike

snap: quick forward motion of the shoulder when punching, or the sharp turning of the foot when kicking. This is not to be confused with the snapping back of kicks seen in tma.

torque: spinning of the hand just before impact - this energy occurs only in punching.

triangulation: dropping the hand, foot or elbow down upon impact, driving the energy of the strike downward

gravitation: pull of the earth, connection to it - provides all leverage for attack and defense.

Merryprankster
07-31-2004, 08:03 AM
no no no 7*.

It's impossible that a non-Chinese indigenous art could have come up with some sort of energy concept that is correct.

On the off chance it is correct, it is clearly influenced/derived from a Chinese art.

When will you ever learn? :D

Chang Style Novice
07-31-2004, 09:42 AM
Well, in fairness, Thailand isn't far from China.

Still, those don't seem to correspond with the energies I'm familiar with from taiji, and I see plenty of value in it.

IronFist
07-31-2004, 10:04 AM
My seven energies of muay thai:

1. Caffeine

2. Caffeine

3. Caffeine

4. Caffeine

5. Red Bull (it's on the muay thai boxing shorts and so I assume it's a sponsor)

6. Red Bull

7. Red Bull.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-31-2004, 10:14 AM
snap: quick forward motion of the shoulder when punching, or the sharp turning of the foot when kicking. This is not to be confused with the snapping back of kicks seen in tma.

i got the shoulder thing, but what do you mean by turning of the foot exactly.

.... the only thing i can think of is this one kick i used to do that started off as a low front and you kinda popped your hips to turn it into a side kick at impact. i dont think thats what you're talking about though.

SevenStar
07-31-2004, 10:42 AM
when doing "snap" with the foot, I think it ties in with triangulation. When kicking to the legs, as the hip turns over the leg/foot naturally turns with it, and the kick can then be angled down, which is another turn of the foot, and is where the triangulation is introduced.

Iron, yeah, red bull has been sponsoring matched in thailand for years. I just recently found that out too. We talked about it in a thread here not too long ago

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=30699&highlight=red+bull

Water Dragon
07-31-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster
no no no 7*.

It's impossible that a non-Chinese indigenous art could have come up with some sort of energy concept that is correct.

On the off chance it is correct, it is clearly influenced/derived from a Chinese art.

When will you ever learn? :D

You mean like this? (http://img64.exs.cx/img64/7845/ground3.jpg)

Or this? (http://img64.exs.cx/img64/5029/ground4.jpg)

Or maybe this one? (http://img64.exs.cx/img64/6608/ground6.jpg)

SevenStar
07-31-2004, 11:18 AM
In that first image, the guy in guard shoulda been trying to posture, not attack - his elbows should be in and he should be passing. Who taught that guy? :D

the second pic is a preferred takedown of the capoeira instructor that teaches in our school

Merryprankster
07-31-2004, 03:02 PM
The last pic conclusively demonstrates the CMA influence on Professional Wrestling.

"But to be the man you gotta beat the man...and I'm the Man!

Whoooooo!"

I can see it now...

And it's "Black Sash Wong" coming of the top ropes, OH but "Super Dragon Master Liu" rolls out of the way.

The Black Sash is hurt folks! What a colossal mistake! He missed with Flying Gorilla Shakes the Earth! Liu pounds him with the toe of his boot - that's illegal!

Now Liu attacks Wong's leg with his patented "Dragon Snaps the Tree!" Wong cries out to the referree. The Ref is asking if Wong wants to continue.... but he taps out! He gives in to the submission. What a colossal upset! The "Shadow Hand Rebellion" - his brothers in arms - are dismayed.

The Dragon Master wins again!!!

Of course, the UG's pretty sure it's a worked match.

You know what I think is amazing? That wheels are round the world over...they seem to work best that way ;)

KC Elbows
07-31-2004, 03:48 PM
You know what I think is amazing? That wheels are round the world over...they seem to work best that way ;)

Wheel=chinese.

Vash
07-31-2004, 04:00 PM
wheels are round the world over...they seem to work best that way

Merryprankster
07-31-2004, 04:44 PM
LOL at KC!!! :D

EarthDragon
07-31-2004, 04:57 PM
I was actually impressed with the last quote, "graviation" I figured it was a little to deep for most people to grab until they reach a higher level. Most people dont comprehend that the power from a puch comes from the ground.

Ask an untrained fighter and they say from the shoulder.
Ask a boxer and they say it comes from the waist.
Ask a martial artist and they say from the foot.
Ask a master and they say from the earth.
very well put indeed, thank you seven star.

Merryprankster
07-31-2004, 09:48 PM
Ask a boxer and they say it comes from the waist.

LOL! What boxer are you talking to?

diego
07-31-2004, 09:58 PM
break down how a punch comes from the earth yall please:)...i kinda get it but i wanna peep the science

KC Elbows
07-31-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by diego
break down how a punch comes from the earth yall please:)...i kinda get it but i wanna peep the science

I'm more trying to see if I can explain than explaining for you, so I'd say listen to some of the other guys before me.

The ground is the backdrop for the motion, when you punch, you're working against the ground, in a sense, to come up with power. Like if you punch and you're shuffling forward, the shift adds a little zing, but the real advantage is now you are in a position where the ground you are pressing off of naturally is comfortably close to your opponent, and if you maintain a solid structure, your legs and waist and so forth add their power, because they are pinned against the ground by gravity, sort of.

In fact, I would say that if you're turning your waist and hitting someone, you're going to pretty naturally push off(exaggerating the motion) the rear leg a bit when you do it, not just turn your waist.

I don't think this definition is right. It's sort of irrelevant if it is, since it's the default state for us on Earth.

I'll try...

If needing to move down(downward deflection, limb strike, I dunno), remember not to muscle it, let gravity do its job.

--OR--

Drop things on potential attackers from great heights.

I have no idea.

KC Elbows
07-31-2004, 11:11 PM
My problem with the first definition is that's not gravity. Sure, gravity is holding you to the ground, but the important force is the one you're generating by using the ground as a launching pad, it's in another direction than gravity unless you're going straight down, and unless you're going straight down, you are fighting gravity to a minor amount, not using it for power except very indirectly.

In otherwords, if you're standing on the ground in one environment with gravity, and another with none, and in each, you punch the same guy, you're not gonna have different power because one has gravity, you're gona have pretty much the same power, and the one with gravity should have a little less, because your attacking limb is fighting gravity.

Now, after the hit, crazy things will happen in zero-G, the fight will probably be over because everyone will go flying/buffeting about.

They must be talking about some other usage of the word gravity.

SevenStar
08-01-2004, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by KC Elbows
My problem with the first definition is that's not gravity. Sure, gravity is holding you to the ground, but the important force is the one you're generating by using the ground as a launching pad, it's in another direction than gravity unless you're going straight down, and unless you're going straight down, you are fighting gravity to a minor amount, not using it for power except very indirectly.

the acting against gravity - that forward/backward/lateral, etc motion - is transition. How well could you do that with no gravity? Yes, you are using it indirectly, but it's essential nontheless.

In otherwords, if you're standing on the ground in one environment with gravity, and another with none, and in each, you punch the same guy, you're not gonna have different power because one has gravity, you're gona have pretty much the same power, and the one with gravity should have a little less, because your attacking limb is fighting gravity.

let's look past the limb - think of the whole strike. you are pushing, pivoting, etc. on the ground. If you throw a cross on the ground and throw a cross while suspended in air, I think you'd find that the ground punch had more force. Also - the triangulation principle I mentioned - how much good would the downward motion be if it weren't assisted by gravity?

EarthDragon
08-01-2004, 07:51 AM
Merryprankster,
I am reffering to the comment that Muhammad Ali made in his book" In Perspective" the story and biography of his life as a boxer written by him with the co-operation of Thomas Hauser.

In a question asked by Howard Cosell where did all the force come from his puches Ali said the power in a punch comes from the trunring of the waist.

Also as Baby Joe Mesi is one of my good friends who has been trainned by Dundee and managed by Sugar Ray Lenoard has stated many times that the power in a boxers training comes from the twist in the waist right before the hook.

So seeing as how those are 2 pretty reputable boxers and you are not ............. I think you should be well learned and knowledgable before you laugh simply out of ignorance.

Merryprankster
08-01-2004, 08:53 AM
ED,

All of which would be impossible without a connection to the ground. Every time a power puncher steps in the ring they are looking to plant their feet before they throw that killer shot. Why? Because they CAN'T THROW IT WITHOUT THEIR FEET OFF THE GROUND.

It's that simple. You can't throw an effective shot without both of those vital components (among others).

I'm LOLing because it's another lame attempt by a CMA guy to disparage boxers. A "boxer" says power comes from the waist. A "MASTER" says it comes from the earth. Oooooooooooo......more smoke and mirrors---mystic bull****.

You know what? Just because one set of people go out and DO it without talking it to death in circles doesn't mean they don't get it.

So no, not LOLing at the boxers so much as LOLing at how you could possibly misunderstand what they are saying. The power does come from the core and not the ARM which is their point...and all that power is useless without a connection to the ground.

Yeah yeah, I know - Baby Joe Mesi is your friend, you trained some mantis guy for the UFC, blah blah blah.

Tell Joe hey, would you?

EarthDragon
08-01-2004, 09:12 AM
You know what dude, you need to get off the computer for a little while and concentrate on something other than insulting others all over this forum, I have never heard anything positive come out of your mouth! not even to the new guys who ask you honest questions. I hope you get your ass kicked in your fight and maybe it will humble that attiitude of yours.

PS Joe doenst know who you are....... he's from Buffalo actually parker ave in town of tonawanda but everyone knows where buffalo is.

Vash
08-01-2004, 09:54 AM
ED = Exceptionally Delusioned

SevenStar
08-01-2004, 12:27 PM
http://seaford.abc.users.btopenworld.com/rear_hand_straight.htm

look at step 1 - transition and gravitation...connection to the ground.

http://seaford.abc.users.btopenworld.com/Lead_hook_body.htm

"2. Power comes from the accumulated explosive drive of the left leg, hips and shoulders, with the left arm adding to the momentum in a 'whip-like' movement."

EarthDragon
08-01-2004, 12:29 PM
Vash? havent you grown up yet? isnt high school over for the summer? please find a girlfriend and focus your attention elsewhere.

Water Dragon
08-02-2004, 06:08 AM
Dude! Where's my keys?

Ray Pina
08-02-2004, 01:41 PM
From my understanding you drive off the ground the same way a sprinter drives off one of those little blocky things at the start of a sprint race.

I have no mystical gravitational or chi theories. I kind of look at the earth as the solid base which I can push off of ... sort of like kicking off the side of the pool to get away when playing Marco Polo.

For a more mystical aproach.... maybe.... uh .... think of a sling shot. The power of the stone comes from the streched out rubber band (waist?) but it needs the stable, steady, unmoving fork piece to transmit that power (leg driving off).

I know some try to pin me as a mystical MA but I drive off my back leg for one reason .... I find I hit a lot harder this way. With Ba Gua, I've learned (but haven't mastered) driving off the front leg .... no secret, just a matter of stealing the pushing angle and making it the back foot though it just happens to be upfront for that instant.

Ray Pina
08-02-2004, 01:47 PM
Rented UFC 47 this weekend.

That superman punch .... that is a tricky son-of-a-*****. And I'm glad I saw it on TV for the first time. If the tai boxer I fought a few months ago pulled that out he probably would have cought me with it.

At the same time, I think there is a big lesson to be learned seeing that. If you aproach solving that problem by thinking of increasing your reaction time in seeing a kick and telling your brain to react but then telling your brain, no, it's actually an incoming punch now, so stop that instead .... you have a good chance of getting hit.

Need a shape that can handle both with only a slight change. We have wedging that can do that but right now, I know I'd over commit looking to wedge at the false knee and try to block the punch with my back hand .... but that doesn't have enough structural integrity to really stop that sort of heavy overhand on it's own.

Hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm.

KC Elbows
08-02-2004, 08:31 PM
SevenStar, you misunderstand me.

Being in zero G does not preclude you from having your feet on the ground. In fact, if you are in zero g, and have your feet on the ground, you will continue to have your feet on the ground until you do something to change that, you will not "float off" without some cause.

That being a given, if you are in zero G WITH YOUR FEET ON THE GROUND, the mechanics of your punch will be exactly the same, EXCEPT none of your movement will need to fight gravity.

In fact, the case could be made that gravity places a limit on forward momentum, and most certainly does not add to it.

Gravity adds nothing to the power, being on the ground does. That's the only reason I question calling it gravitic, because it gets the idea that you're adding the power of gravity, when in reality, you're just adding the power of your legs and waist and so forth. I suppose gravity keeps some of the movement from going straight up, but that's not a form of power generation, really.

Since, in both definitions, the ground is the important item for power, it seems like simply saying this, instead of muddling the issue by attributing one form of energy(power in the attack) to another(gravity) that actually does not add any power is a bit, well, confusing.

Buby
08-03-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar
I was digging through the archives and found a book that details the various aspects of a power generation. Below is a summary of each energy:

Hi 7*,

Pretty cool finding! Some seem similar to things that our found in the KF I train.

- Would you consider this to be similar to intercepting your opp. move?

velocity: speed of the body and body weapon as it approaches its target
- Pretty self explanitory.:)

rotation: turning of the hip while delivering a strike
- We also have this, for us its "yul ma"(spelling?) and it's part of the six body parts(luk ging) that must act in unisen with the other five inorder to get the ging(power) out. Plain and simple, it's part of the body mechinics chain.

- Would you say that the snap is of a springy nature? Do you sink your elbow? Does the snap recoil back naturally? If so, then its similar to our tarn ging. Maybe not in structure, but the idea behind it might be. Also, would this be a description of the shoulder motion or the type of power released?

torque: spinning of the hand just before impact - this energy occurs only in punching.
- I see this as wrist power, also part of luk ging (6 body powers). Aids in pushing the ging out.

triangulation: dropping the hand, foot or elbow down upon impact, driving the energy of the strike downward
- This sounds like our chum ging (sinking power), but I would have to feel it inorder to know for sure. Can you describe the effect it has on a person or bridge (limb)?

gravitation: pull of the earth, connection to it - provides all leverage for attack and defense.
- Root. Some like a floating root and some are more solid. The difference I see between a boxers root and my root is that my back heel is planted, as apposed to most boxers who plant on their toes and push off their toes.

There isn't anything mystical about real Kung Fu. All it is, is good body mechanics (no chi blast..LOL), conditioning, timing, sensitivity, strategy, and lots of hard work. Doesn't sound too different to any other fighting art, now does it!LOL

Take care,
Buby

scotty1
08-04-2004, 10:01 AM
WD where'd those images come from?

SevenStar
08-05-2004, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by Buby

- Would you consider this to be similar to intercepting your opp. move?

yes, that would fall into the transition category.

- Would you say that the snap is of a springy nature? Do you sink your elbow?[/b]

As in the way the elbow is down when you throw a vertical fist? If so, then no.

Does the snap recoil back naturally? If so, then its similar to our tarn ging. Maybe not in structure, but the idea behind it might be.

yeah, it should recoil naturally.

Also, would this be a description of the shoulder motion or the type of power released?[/b]

the motion, definitely. I think it can be used to describe the power in some instances - a jab, for example - but not all.

[/B]

Meat Shake
08-05-2004, 11:08 AM
"Gravity adds nothing to the power, being on the ground does. "

But in Zero g, the force of your punch wouldnt be facilitated by being on the ground, because you would simply slide away upon hitting your target. Gravity anchors you to the ground, and gives you the ability to push off while throwing punches. Only way to do this in zero g would be to stand on a wall parallel to the ground and punch straight over your head.

Goldenmane
08-05-2004, 10:03 PM
Gravity is what keeps your feet on the ground. Unless something else acts to do so (like, wearing velcro shoes) then you're not likely to be able to utilise anything like the same body mechanics for power generation in zero G.

You're not going to have the friction that allows you to drive the force forward. As soon as you push against the surface you're on, you're going to move away from it. No contact means you can't generate power that way.

And if you don't have an anchor point, you're going to have to use different mechanics anyway, because you're not going to be able to develop power from, say, the waist in any really efficient manner. If you twist at the waist, your top half will twist one way and your bottom half will twist the other... basic action/reaction effect.

Plus, of course, you'll end up spinning in some rather odd ways, or so I would expect.

Buby
08-06-2004, 10:37 AM
"the motion, definitely. I think it can be used to describe the power in some instances - a jab, for example - but not all."

Ahhh, thanks.

Take care,

Buby

KC Elbows
08-06-2004, 01:52 PM
If, in zero g, you move toward your opponent, you would move toward them without loss of power from friction. If you are touching the ground, and move in a way that drives you toward your opponent, you will move toward your opponent.

My point isn't so much that the zero g situation is exactly the same, or that the techniques could be done the same way, but that gravity adds no power whatsoever, it influences how a move is done, but unless someone can explain to me how it ADDS power directly(keeping your feet to the ground is not direct, again, all the power comes from YOU, not gravity), why would you call your power GENERATION gravitic, when it's clearly kinetic?

From Goldenmane:

"Gravity is what keeps your feet on the ground. Unless something else acts to do so (like, wearing velcro shoes) then you're not likely to be able to utilise anything like the same body mechanics for power generation in zero G."

So, with velcro shoes(or magnetic, whatever), it's pretty much the same? So gravity isn't generating the power, if it's the same with or without gravity, right?

Oxygen is also present when you punch on Earth, and you use it, does that make the same power that's gravitic oxygenetic, with much power added by oxygen? Without shoes, a shuffle could tear up your feet on concrete, does that make the power generation Reebokenetic, power production by Reeboks?

I just think this term is pretty much fallacious, I guess. Everyone is talking about using a fixed surface for leverage and power, power being produced in entirety by the body, correct? And no one is talking about gravity being converted directly to power, right?

I assume this is a pretty new term for this, so I just don't see even traditional reasons to stick with another near meaningless definition or loosely defined term.

What I'm saying is, if you throw a guy, then you're using gravitic power generation, but if you punch a guy, not really.

Now pardon me, I must drill my cosmic power generation, which is superior to even gamma power generation, the so-called green chi.

Christopher M
08-06-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
You mean like this? (http://img64.exs.cx/img64/7845/ground3.jpg)

Cool. What are those from?

Goldenmane
08-07-2004, 01:43 AM
Fair points, KC. Not being a Muay Thai guy, I can't comment in defense or support of the idea of "gravitic energy" or whatever the term was. I'm not entirely sure what is being meant by the term.

I just allowed myself to get sucked in to the discussion because it was about fighting in zero-G... although technically speaking, the term zero-G is wildly incorrect, or at least impossible. Freefall, though....

Ah, well, that's what studying physics at university does to ya... gives you a life-long tendency to babble on about these sorts of things. :D

KC Elbows
08-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Yes, and this is babble.:D

Meat Shake,

First, an uppercut would work just fine. Keep in mind that you wouldn't just fly up and then the target would absorb your motion without harm, they would suddenly absorb kinetic energy to an area you chose, which would hurt, because that is what hitting does.

Second, friction does not cease to exist in(so-called, as goldenmane points out) zero g. You wouldn't hit, then slide, any more than you would in gravity, because sliding is against friction more than gravity, which doesn't change the fact that if you were attached by magnetic/velcro shoes(yes, the old virtues of magnetic and velcro footwork discussion, these martial arts forums are soooo cyclical), you would pretty much attack as normal, ecxept apparently, then your attacks would either be based on magnetic power generation, or Velcric power generation, even though all your power would still be coming from you.

If you were in a zero g movie theatre, you would need to display butterific power generation in place of gravitic. This means that you would need to find a patch of floor/wall where excess movie theatre butter has floated against the surface to provide a sticky section for your zero g kung fu theatre. Functionally, in this scenario, this butter acts in exactly the same way as gravity.

This is the only hypothetical where butter=gravity, a theory that falls apart on realizing that I Can't Believe It's Not Butter also= gravity, suggesting that it is not butter, but toast, popcorn, and potatoes, that create gravity.

Do the thai people eat potatoes?

Meat Shake
08-13-2004, 10:46 AM
Kon MuayThai
Cherng muaythai
Mae Mai MuayThai
Look Mai Muay Thai

^Are these all substyles of muay thai?
Just curious, Im digging around muaythai.com.

David Jamieson
08-13-2004, 11:29 AM
There is only ONE Karate!

Hiiiiiii Yaaaaaahhhhh.

wax on

Kristoffer
08-13-2004, 02:10 PM
I thought there was only one style, and those are the names of the different types of techniques? That site shows the traditional side, aside from the movies. I've never seen a muay thai school actually teaching this.

SevenStar
08-13-2004, 03:04 PM
there are several....let's say....evolutions of muay thai. for each period, a name was assigned. It was all muay, but each evolution brought some type of change to the style, for example, muay chad cheurk introduced the wrapping of the hands. muay thai represents the evolution we know of today that came about in the 1920's. there are various muay - muay boran, muay thai, muay chad cheurk, etc. But, you will likely not find anything other than muay thai being taught today.

Rockwood
09-15-2004, 04:29 PM
Hi, any of you guys ever bought anything from these guys?

http://www.thethaifightsproject.org

Was it worth watching?

-JessO

Khun Kao Charuad
09-15-2004, 06:02 PM
i have not heard of these guys before, but I'm really intrigued and am thinking about contacting them to help write reviews.... that could be a lot of fun!!!!!

MoreMisfortune
10-25-2004, 07:29 PM
Im sleepy, goin to bed soon
Give your opinions, cos if your selling nobody is paying

MoreMisfortune
10-27-2004, 07:46 AM
thanx :)

as for the rest of you:
obviously you american people dont know how to vote!!

Mr Punch
10-27-2004, 07:58 AM
Xebs, I've no idea what the hell you're on about but it's funny as ****! LOL :D:D:D

SevenStar
10-27-2004, 08:00 AM
little wonder is an awesome song. That's one of the only songs I listen to on the hackers second soundtrack. the first cd is tight, but the second one pretty much sucks except for that song.

Mr Punch
10-27-2004, 08:01 AM
BTW, let's hope it's the republican cun.ts who don't know how to vote... :eek: :D :p !!!

red5angel
10-27-2004, 08:03 AM
4 MORE YEARS!!!!!

Meat Shake
10-27-2004, 08:09 AM
Ill certainly be glad to be close to canada if that ignorant redneck ****ass winds up in office again.

MasterKiller
10-27-2004, 08:16 AM
He's from Conneticut. The redneck is just part of his facade because he was beaten in his first Texas campaign because they called him a "Yale outsider."

red5angel
10-27-2004, 08:18 AM
I hope when he gets back into office he allows the beheading of extremist prisoners.

Meat Shake
10-27-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
He's from Conneticut. The redneck is just part of his facade because he was beaten in his first Texas campaign because they called him a "Yale outsider."

Hmm... Then why must he taint our good name? Whiskey and rednecks are just fine and dandy when they are on a front porch, but they really make us (texas) look bad when they try to run a country.
;)

MoreMisfortune
10-27-2004, 08:43 AM
:D im just asking cos there is a place not too far that has weid lifing, muy tai, brazilan zew zeetsu and possibly other stuff
i dont konw if i wanna go see it

red5angel
10-27-2004, 09:01 AM
I recommend typing classes.....

SevenStar
10-27-2004, 02:15 PM
go check them out. you've been out of training far too long... time to go back.

MoreMisfortune
10-27-2004, 09:40 PM
probly tomorrow or friday :D
i got test tomorrow... i mean... today... i mean... in less than 7 hours, aint it sweeeeeeet - that this class has 6 (six) counted and recounted hotties

SevenStar
10-28-2004, 04:22 AM
but will you talk to any of them?

I think xeb it the true life incarnation of leisure suit larry...

Water Dragon
10-28-2004, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar

I think xeb it the true life incarnation of leisure suit larry...

Hey now! I resemble that remark!

MoreMisfortune
10-28-2004, 11:47 AM
i got nothing to say to the hotties
though at least i can say 3 of those are excluded of possibities anyway though... so im only really failing my skills with other 3.

the 3 excluded of possibilities:
1) uber hottie with boyfriend
2) uber hottie married, full of golds, owns her car, owns her house
3) plain out of control angry *****/****

must i add, in our tradition we drink "chimarrão", aka "mate", that is a type of tea. this gets passed on from hand to hand... so i have, technically, exchanged drool with them hotties already. **** im good.

Hey man, im waiting for the Uncut version of the new Larry game to come out (on Edonkey that is MUAHAHAHA). Larry rules.

MoreMisfortune
10-30-2004, 09:24 PM
the world is a disapointament
therefore people must be punched
people must bleed
for making this world miserable

i didnt go friday, i simply fell asleep in the middle of the afternoon
shyt pi.ss tired
today not so much
i ate a lot of crap today
a whole lot of chocolate too
my bro goes "... whats this, abstinence crisis?"
i go "fu.ck you"
he goes "i just wanna know if there are any chocolates left"
i go "no, i ate em all

any tips on what should i look for in da class?
how soon these peeps supposed to spar?
how hard is (physically) it supposed ta be?
what was your first class like?

MoreMisfortune
11-02-2004, 10:11 PM
hey kids
call me da loser
but i havent gone to dat gym yet

i acutally found another even
so i got 2 to check out

now searching on the internet... i found out there are actually females that do MT
thats funny, cos every other MA i did before had zero female
or maybe ill get to the gyms they will be zero female and what i saw on the internet was just the result of my mind drifting within its dreams and nightmares
BUT i do know already of a hot chick that goes to one of those gyms... yeah i found her profile on the internet
stalking is fun
i think she has a boy though
what do anyone care anyway "xebby you're a wuss you not gonna bang her anyway, you sucka"
true

ill check the places tomorrow
HEY
can anyone answer any of the questions i made on my previsou post?

SevenStar
11-02-2004, 10:33 PM
there are three females in my MT class that attend on a regular basis. One is a stripper.

MoreMisfortune
11-02-2004, 10:47 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:
how can you concentrate?
:eek: :eek: :eek:

MoreMisfortune
11-02-2004, 10:53 PM
did you knwo

that Nobuo Uematsu, writter of the Final Fantasy soundtracks, has now left Square-Enix and will like have his own company to make the music and then sell it to the games companies and such?

that tomorrow is a holiday here, sort of day of the dead people, so since i have no class tomorrow i am now bugging people posting a lot of stuff?

that while you are running presidential elections we have just finished our elections for mayor and a right winger won on my city ending 16 years of consecutive left wing mayor-ing?

that im going to bed, so everybody can relax i wont be posting for the next 8 hours? :)

SevenStar
11-29-2004, 11:15 PM
http://www.black-eagle.org/mtquizhard.htm

http://www.black-eagle.org/mtquizhard.htm

http://www.black-eagle.org/mtquiznormal.htm

http://www.black-eagle.org/mtquizeasy.htm

I got 8/10, 9/10 and 7/10, respectively. not sure how I did better on the harder ones than the easier...lucky guesses, I suppose.

Royal Dragon
11-29-2004, 11:47 PM
The only thing I know about it is those guys have a round kick that is dam near criplling, and it hurts like hell!!

omarthefish
11-30-2004, 04:01 AM
lol.

That thing was a language test more than anything else.

My muay thai teacher taught in English only.

Those tests are all out of my league. I may as will give you guys a kung fu test and have questions like:

1. The ceremony which is performed to pay homage to a Chinese boxer's teacher is called:

-bai shi

-qi shi

-ke tou

-i li

2. One of the most legendary Chinese boxers who was famous for his devastating beng quan was called:

-Huo Dian Ge

-Guo Yun Shen

-Jiang Ruong Qiao

-Wang Shu Jin

I'm too lazy to come up with others at the moment. That was some esoteric **** on that test. I guess I don't know much about MT.

Mr Punch
11-30-2004, 05:36 AM
In order of hardness of the quizzes I got 8, 7 and er... cough cough ahem 1.

Not much apparently.

There was a lot of Thai in it tho. I don't even remember half of the expressions in WC and I've been doing that long enough. The more Japanese I learn, the less of anything else I remember!

Shaolinlueb
11-30-2004, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by Royal Dragon
The only thing I know about it is those guys have a round kick that is dam near criplling, and it hurts like hell!!

thats about the extent of my knowledge.

SanShou Guru
11-30-2004, 06:32 AM
They eat side kicks like turkey on thanksgiving.

Kristoffer
11-30-2004, 06:41 AM
I got 7/10 on http://www.black-eagle.org/mtquizhard.htm
but I guessed alot of the names. Went with what sounded right.

Water Dragon
11-30-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by SanShou Guru
They eat side kicks like turkey on thanksgiving.

heh

Black Jack II
07-24-2007, 08:51 AM
Traditional Muay Thai two man form sets. Found it interesting, even more so when you compare it to tcma two man forms, this seems much more stripped down in outlook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxB-wKox5iQ

sanjuro_ronin
07-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Every MA has two man sets, best way to learn why a move works, then you apply it for real, which is the best way to learn how a move works.

Ben Gash
07-25-2007, 02:56 PM
This is what we would term basic application work, rather than 2 man forms. Personally I'd do a lock or throw after the punch each time. What surprises me is how "dead" the drills are, they would look completely at home in a low contact TCMA class.

GeneChing
05-28-2015, 03:52 PM
This trainer was so pwned! They should have been able to see that Germaine Yeap had it going on just by looking at her body. She feigns clumsiness well, but her thighs and her guns are a dead giveaway that she's got some skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3FZLTpJREY

-N-
05-28-2015, 04:41 PM
This trainer was so pwned! They should have been able to see that Germaine Yeap had it going on just by looking at her body. She feigns clumsiness well, but her thighs and her guns are a dead giveaway that she's got some skills.

Cute chick. Nice moves :)

GeneChing
03-21-2018, 02:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrP3-qYWIDU

SEAMA
03-22-2018, 04:34 PM
The world of Muay Thai is changing--the camps are now more open to training women and people who want to come for fitness.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/regional/2018/03/20/hong-kong-model-beat-her-body-issues-thanks-to-muay-thai--and-is-using-her-passion-for-it-to-help-ot/

GeneChing
11-19-2018, 12:21 PM
How One Model's Sport Became Her Salvation
Mia Kang on Muay Thai and its role in helping her heal from addiction and an eating disorder. (https://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/a23012132/model-mia-kang-overcoming-eating-disorder/)
By Sara Spruch-Feiner
Sep 30, 2018

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/mia-still-2-1536270260.jpg
JOSH K. BREDE

For model, Muay Thai fighter, and body positivity activist Mia Kang, no two days are alike. She often splits her time between glamorous photo shoot locations and sweat-filled gyms, which is just one example of the many contrasts that punctuate her life.

“I think that people look at me and get confused,” she says. “People don't really know how to categorize me because I'm not quite Asian, not quite Caucasian. In the [modeling] industry, I'm not big enough, not small enough, not tall enough, not short enough. It’s always: ‘You're too feminine to be a fighter, you're too masculine to be a model.’”

When Kang was in her early teens, she was told by her doctor that she needed to lose weight. As a 13-year-old with little nutrition knowledge, she practically stopped eating altogether and, as a result, nearly halved her weight. This should have raised red flags, but instead, modeling offers piled up. The pressure to stay thin led to more than 15 years of disordered eating. Kang developed anorexia and bulimia and began using narcotics, diet pills, diuretics, and laxatives to remain thin—which left her feeling miserable.

missmiakang (https://www.instagram.com/p/BiiaPtsHeB6/?utm_source=ig_embed)
Verified

22,384 likes
missmiakangLeft: 2015. size 2. I hadn't eaten solid food in 10 days and smoke a pack of Marlboro Lights a day. I was obsessed with my collarbones, ribs and hip bones showing. I was obsessed with having a thigh gap. I was about to shoot Sports Illustrated Swimsuit for the first time and was trying to look like a VS angel. I was told by the industry I never looked better but still had a little more weight to lose. I hated how I looked so much I thought I was fat and lived in constant anxiety.

Right: Now. Size 8. I feel like I finally became a woman. I love my thighs, my curves. I love my strength and the fact I can probably whoop your ass. I still have insecurities as I adjust into my new body, just like everyone else. But I know my body, respect it, and love it.

A shift in perspective
In 2016, seeking respite and a space to recover, she fled to Thailand; there, she discovered Muay Thai. For Kang, the sport provided a form of rehabilitation.

“The gym was right by my house in Thailand, and I would just drive past and stare... I saw the little boys training, and it was like watching this violent ballet. I thought it was so graceful,” she says.

So one day, Kang put on a pair of gloves and joined them. It was a turning point—one that, over time, allowed her to connect with her body in a way that she never had before. She began to look at exercise as a fun, rather than an arduous.

“I think people look at exercise as this tedious thing that they have to do and treat it like it's a punishment for eating,” she laments. “I really encourage people to go find something that they genuinely like, whether it’s a fighting thing, a dance class... If you find something that you actually enjoy, then it's not tedious anymore.”

Sticking to her new, balanced lifestyle
It’s been two years since Kang started practicing Muay Thai. She aims to train six days a week, but above all she tries to remain balanced. She’s the first to admit that even though the practice makes her feel great, she sometimes faces the same pre-workout dread as the rest of us.

I learned that food isn't a reward for starvation. Food is nourishment.

“I guarantee there are days where Serena Williams doesn't even want to go pick up a tennis racket,” she says. “I think that's also a misconception—people think that once you get good at something it becomes easy, but even at the highest level of professional athlete, you have to push yourself.”

Mia fighting with her trainer Paul Bamba.
Muay Thai has also played a significant role in helping her heal from her eating disorder. “In Muay Thai, it’s simply about how strong you feel,” Kang explains. The sport, she explains, forces her to focus on how she feels on the inside—an exact contrast with the focus on the external required by her modeling work.

“I'm fully aware of all my insecurities and all my 'flaws,' but I accept them and I'm not letting them weigh me down anymore, because they're not going anywhere," she says. “It's my decision whether I want to struggle with them or whether I want to make peace with them. You can only find that balance when you listen to yourself.”

Kang's sport has also taught her that food is not the enemy. “I learned that food isn't a reward for starvation. Food is nourishment,” she says proudly. “That's when I learned what my body was actually capable of, and I found strength in myself that I never, ever thought I would have.”

THREADS
The Diet and Food Thread (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?53344-The-Diet-and-Food-Thread)
Muay Thai (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?26700-Muay-Thai)

PalmStriker
11-19-2018, 03:38 PM
:) Definitely a knock-out, https://www.google.com/search?q=mia+kang+model&rlz=1C1EJFA_enUS780US780&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwis-NyEwuHeAhUJYK0KHXcbCx4QsAR6BAgEEAE&biw=1440&bih=789

GeneChing
12-18-2018, 08:48 AM
Female muay thai champ found hanged in Ratchaburi (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30360669)

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/img/news/2018/12/18/30360669/8a192924807c749da53166e5572cbb2f.jpeg

Breaking News December 18, 2018 19:30 By The Nation

A world muay thai champion was found hanged in her room at a boarding house near her university in Ratchaburi’s Mueang district yesterday morning, police said on Tuesday.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/img/photos/2018/December/18/0a1f5887e9f71322c6893d63977f01b0.jpeg

Police were alerted after Nitiyaporn Srisalai, 22, was found hanging from a nylon rope attached to the door frame at the back of the room, in Moo 5 village in Tambon Don Tako. Police did not find any trace of foul play, but there was a half-finished bottle of whisky in the room.
Nitiyaporn was a fourth-year student at Rajabhat University, Moo Ban Jom Bueng, majoring in muay thai. She was well-known through her muay thai alias as Hong Khao of Rajabhat Moo Ban Jom Bueng. She first became a World Muay Thai Organisation champion in the 51-kilogram category, before going on to winning the title in the 52kg category. Nitiyaporn’s friends told police that they had been drinking with her at 8pm on Sunday night, before returning to their rooms. One of the friends called on her the following morning, but she did not answer persistent knocks on the door. They asked the owner of the boarding house to open the door with a spare key, only to find the body.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/img/photos/2018/December/18/b47500866544a1edbe0bd6628e1cc6f1.jpeg

Charnchai Yommadit, president of the International Muay Thai Study Association, said on Tuesday that Nitiyaporn had been a highly capable muay thai boxer and her death was a great loss to the sport. Nitiyaporn’s parents were divorced and she had had to earn her own living and pay for her studies by boxing, he added.

THREADS
Martial Arts Deaths (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?52484-Martial-Arts-Deaths)

GeneChing
08-16-2019, 12:15 PM
MINNEAPOLIS 544461312
Martial arts fighter suffers serious brain injury during bout in Minneapolis (http://www.startribune.com/martial-arts-fighter-suffers-serious-brain-injury-during-bout-in-minneapolis/544461312/)
The former Minneapolis phy ed teacher suffered significant brain injury.
By Paul Walsh Star Tribune AUGUST 15, 2019 — 9:43PM

https://stmedia.stimg.co/ows_15658774176805.jpg?auto=compress&crop=faces&dpr=1.5&w=525
– PROVIDED BY KAITLIN YOUNG
An ambulance raced Nate Kosberg the few miles from Dinkytown to HCMC in downtown Minneapolis. Credit: Provided by Kaitlin Young

A martial arts fighter suffered a significant brain injury during a bout in Minneapolis over the weekend, underwent emergency surgery and is said to have "a very long road to recovery."

Nate Kosberg, 26, who trains out of the Academy gym in Brooklyn Center, was injured during his amateur Muay Thai bout Saturday at the Varsity Theater in Minneapolis and was in serious condition Thursday at HCMC.

The 137-pound Kosberg, who lost the fight in a decision, "didn't appear hurt at all … after the fight and was talking and laughing," said Kaitlin Young, a fellow fighter who helped put together the 14-bout card.

Once outside the ring and while taking off his gear, "he started to pass out," said Young, who was ringside during Kosberg's bout.

An ambulance hired by the promoter to be at the venue in case of such an emergency raced Kosberg the few miles from Dinkytown to HCMC in downtown Minneapolis for what Young described as a life-threatening cerebral hemorrhage, and Kosberg underwent surgery to remove a blood clot.

Kosberg "has a very long road to recovery but is thankfully still with us," Young said in a posting on a fundraising web page set up on the fighter's behalf.

Muay Thai, or Thai boxing, uses stand-up striking with fists and feet along with various clinching techniques. Bouts are held around the world, and some online videos have drawn millions of views each.

Kosberg's bout of three two-minute rounds and the rest of the card had a doctor ringside, and the fights were sanctioned by the Iowa-based Thai Boxing Association-Sanctioning Authority, Young said.

Minnesota's Office of Combative Sports, which sanctions boxing and some other forms of organized fighting in the state, does not sanction Muay Thai and did not oversee this card, said agency spokesman James Honerman.

Away from the ring, Kosberg just ended his time on staff at Windom Dual Immersion School in south Minneapolis as a physical education teacher in order to concentrate more fully on his fighting career, said school district spokeswoman Julie Brown. He joined the district in January 2016 as an associate educator before becoming a teacher in September of that year.

He's also been teaching at A Work of Art boxing and fitness gym in Minnetonka, Young said.

The Minneapolis South High School graduate received a child psychology degree from the University of Minnesota and also minored in Spanish, according to his Windom school biography page.

Paul Walsh is a general assignment reporter at the Star Tribune. He wants your news tips, especially in and near Minnesota.
pwalsh@startribune.com 612-673-4482 walshpj

THREADS
Martial Arts Injuries (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?8655-Martial-Arts-Injuries)

GeneChing
10-10-2019, 09:31 AM
Kung fu fail as Muay Thai practitioner makes mockery of master’s pressure point techniques (https://www.scmp.com/sport/martial-arts/kung-fu/article/3032383/kung-fu-fail-muay-thai-practitioner-makes-mockery)
Kung fu master tries to show bicep pressure point technique can beat Muay Thai clinch
However it just proves hilariously and embarrassingly ineffective
Nick Atkin
Published: 6:11pm, 10 Oct, 2019

https://cdn.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/1200x800/public/d8/images/methode/2019/10/10/5ae77f96-eb30-11e9-9e8e-4022fb9638c4_image_hires_181125.jpg?itok=MPZF6V5T&v=1570702289
A Muay Thai practitioner clinches a kung fu master. Photo: YouTube/Fight Commentary Breakdowns

It seems the only people who believe pressure point kung fu is actually real are the “masters” who practise it themselves.
In a video that has gone viral, a Chinese kung fu master pitted his skills against a Western Muay Thai practitioner.
The master claimed his bicep pressure point technique could counter the traditional Muay Thai clinch, despite his opponent also being a lot bigger than him.
The results are as hilarious as you’d expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBOlQg0aMDU

The Muay Thai practitioner applies the clinch, and the kung fu master starts hitting him with chops to the bicep – one of the supposed pressure points that, if struck with a direct hit, can instantly defeat an opponent.

The opponent just shrugs off the chops and keeps the clinch tight, fastening his arms around the back of kung fu master’s neck to reduce the distance.
Kung fu ‘master’ gets comeuppance from taekwondo fighter after sucker eye-poking Chinese kick-boxer
Seemingly frustrated, he then tries to knee his opponent (which, of course, is a dangerous game against a Muay Thai fighter if you’re signalling that knees are OK).
Thankfully our Muay Thai man goes easy on him – it’s just a sparring session after all.

THREADS
The Effectiveness of Pressure point fighting (?) (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?17416-The-Effectiveness-of-Pressure-point-fighting-(-))

GeneChing
11-14-2019, 09:03 AM
From weight-loss plan to first ever Hong Kong wushu world championships sanda medallist (https://www.scmp.com/sport/hong-kong/article/3036955/weight-loss-plan-first-ever-hong-kong-wushu-world-championships?fbclid=IwAR3tcl8qoyMa965yT16Hy8O41DK kfNSioJbsEKsSnyNLBR9dhdc3owg7Jug)
How combat sports on leitai helped Nana Tsang regain confidence in life
The 38-year-old veteran still has fire in her belly and considers 2022 Asian Games next target
Chan Kin-wa
Published: 8:00am, 9 Nov, 2019

https://cdn.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/1200x800/public/d8/images/methode/2019/11/08/8a6756a0-010c-11ea-ab68-c2fa11fa07a6_image_hires_175827.JPG?itok=tyb36zQm&v=1573207122
Muay Thai boxer Nana Tsang Hoi-lan. Photos: Xiaomei Chen

Nana Tsang Hoi-lan was often called “a crab with soft limbs” in her younger days, a time when she had little or no desire to do any physical exercise, even though her siblings were active in sport.
As she grew up, her body expanded to the extent that, at just 1.66 metres tall and weighing 64 kgs, she was inevitably teased by her work colleagues.
“I sometimes fell down on the street when walking during my younger days,” said Tsang, now 38. “At that time, I thought I was simply weak and lacked body coordination, but now I know it was because I had lacked proper physical exercise.”
Working as a clerk in a sedentary office job up until her mid- to late-20s only exacerbated her weakness. “I finally thought enough was enough and started picking up sports, hoping it could make me healthier and at least look better. Since my sister, who is married to a Muay Thai fighter, does combat sports, I decided to follow her.”

Kin-wa Chan
@Kinwachan1024
Nana Tsang, Hong Kong’s first sanda medallist at Wushu World Championships!

Embedded video
7:27 PM - Nov 6, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
See Kin-wa Chan's other Tweets
She started Thai boxing over a decade ago but did not have her first competitive bout until 2010, in shoot boxing, a popular Japanese combat discipline. She slowly gathered momentum in a variety of combat sports until last month in Shanghai, when she lifted a wushu world championships silver medal in the women’s sanda under-60kg category, the first ever sanda medal for Hong Kong.

Sanda is one of two streams in wushu, a modern unarmed combat sport developed from traditional wushu techniques, primarily making use of punching, kicking, throwing, wrestling and defensive techniques. It is also contested in major multi-sport events such as the Southeast Asian Games and the Asian Games.

https://cdn.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/d8/images/methode/2019/11/08/990a9884-010c-11ea-ab68-c2fa11fa07a6_972x_175827.JPG
Muay Thai boxer Nana Tsang Hoi-lan.

“Hong Kong have been doing very well in taolu the other stream of wushu, and have produced many world champions over the years, but this is the first time we came back with a sanda medal,” said Tsang who cherishes the moments when she won two bouts in Shanghai to reach the final, where she lost to the champion, mainlander Qi Yumei.
“The team was already thrilled when I beat an Austrian athlete in the first round to move to the medal match. It’s the result they have been looking for over many years, not only a strong boost for my own career but also for a minor discipline that needs to attract more young athletes to take up the baton.”

https://cdn.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/d8/images/methode/2019/11/08/adec0ce2-010c-11ea-ab68-c2fa11fa07a6_1320x770_175827.JPG.

It is the second time Tsang has competed at the world championships. She was at the 2015 worlds in Indonesia, but was stopped in the first round.
While many people consider combat sports very dangerous and crude and therefore not suitable for females, Tsang does not agree.
“Any sport has potential danger, but if you follow the rules, you have less chance of exposure to danger,” she said. “Combat sports are exciting for obvious reasons, and, in sanda, we can win by a knockout, but more often we win by scoring points through hitting the legitimate parts of your opponents, such as head, trunk [including chest, abdomen, waist and back], and the legs. You don’t have to beat your opponent to death. After all, we have to wear protective gear, such as head guard, chest protector, gloves and mouth guard during a match.
“You may get some nasty bruises if you are hit, and your face will look terrible because you sweat a lot during competition.”

https://cdn.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/d8/images/methode/2019/11/08/b5b512b6-010c-11ea-ab68-c2fa11fa07a6_1320x770_175827.JPG

Tsang lacked self confidence when she was young, but that changed after she picked up combat sports, especially when she walks on to the leitai, an elevated platform where bouts take place.
“I enjoy the moments of being on the leitai, where the spotlight is all on you,” said Tsang. “I have spent a lot of effort over the years to overcome challenges. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose, but it gives me the courage to deal with them.
“Even if you lose in the end, you still win something. You can have a fitter body and a better mental outlook. You gain a lot of experience dealing with different people, both on and off the leitai.
“Of course, you can also learn this through practising other sports, but combat sports are exciting and not as boring as running on the track or swimming in the pool. You can enjoy great satisfaction when you evade the attack of your opponents and fight back with a successful hit.”
With her silver medal from Shanghai, Tsang will soon be eligible for elite training grant support awarded by the Sports Institute, which should keep her focused and provide her with a full-time career.

https://cdn.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/d8/images/methode/2019/11/08/6b1af43c-010c-11ea-ab68-c2fa11fa07a6_1320x770_175827.JPG

“We have been on our own for a long time because we didn’t achieve the required benchmark,” she said. “I have to work as a coach in different combat sports to support my athletics career, but this is going to change. Support from the Sports Institute means more than just financial backing. Sports science and sports medicine services also available, and this is important especially when we get injured. I am so happy the hard work over these years is paying off.”
Tsang will now focus on next year’s World Cup in Australia, with the 2022 Asian Games in Hangzhou possibly her final target. “Yes, I will be 40 by then, but if there is no age limit in sanda set by the organisers, I definitely want to start in Hangzhou to strive for more honours for Hong Kong,” she said. “I still feel the energy and have the spirit to fight on the leitai for a couple more years.”

Nana Tsang’s major achievements
2016 – 6th TAFISA Games silver medal (Muay Thai)
2016 – World Cup Sanda bronze medal
2015 – IFMA Royal World Cup bronze medal
2014-15 – Hong Kong Muay Thai champion
2013-16 – Hong Kong Wushu champions (Sanshou)
2010-13 – Hong Kong Energy Fight champion

This article appeared in the South China Morning Post print edition as: From shedding weight to a milestone for HK in wushu

THREADS
Sanda in Hong Kong (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?65875-Sanda-in-Hong-Kong)
15th World Wushu Championships (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71521-15th-World-Wushu-Championships-October-20th-to-23rd-2019-Shanghai)

GeneChing
01-06-2020, 11:00 AM
Muay Thai and Gems. READ The Silk Road Kung Fu Friendship Tour Part 31: Wushu in Thailand (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1527) by Greg Brundage

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/admin/site_images/KungfuMagazine/upload/6890_20195708Silk31.jpg

THREADS
The Silk Road (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68861)
Muay Thai (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?26700)

GeneChing
02-21-2020, 08:44 AM
Skip to 45s on the vid to see the actual fight. I'm not convinced this TKD player really knew TKD (https://www.martialartsmart.com/tae-kwon-do.html). He just walks into that and doesn't even know fist bump etiquette. Some peeps are just making these sorts of vids now because they're good clickbait and I feel a bit tainted reposting them here.

Chinese taekwondo black belt challenges Muay Thai fighter; gets KO’d in seven seconds (https://www.scmp.com/sport/martial-arts/kung-fu/article/3051803/chinese-taekwondo-black-belt-challenges-muay-thai)
Huang Xiaolong didn’t last long in footage of fight that has gone viral on social media
‘At least that belt kept his trousers up,’ one commenter jokes after style-vs-style mismatch
Nick Atkin
Published: 5:34pm, 21 Feb, 2020

https://cdn.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/1200x800/public/d8/images/methode/2020/02/21/98650150-5489-11ea-8948-c9a8d8f9b667_image_hires_173446.png?itok=urIB7o2J&v=1582277694
Chinese World Taekwondo Federation black belt Huang Xiaolong lies concussed on the floor. Photo: YouTube/Fight Commentary Breakdowns

It was never going to take too long for footage of another embarrassing style-vs-style challenge match to emerge from China.
This time it was a Chinese World Taekwondo Federation black belt Huang Xiaolong, who is also trained in Muay Thai and karate, taking on a Chinese Muay Thai fighter in a match in Chengdu from back in 2009, but which has only recently gone viral on social media.
Huang looks dazed after getting clipped straight away by a left hook from the Muay Thai fighter but manages to circle to his left, keeping the distance.
He checks one of his opponent’s low kicks but leaves himself open up top with his hands by his waist, and that’s the beginning of the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqDGHxn3Nio&feature=emb_logo

Attempting a jump kick, Huang launches himself off both feet at the same time as the Muay Thai fighter lands a high kick flush on the side of his head.
Huang is propelled up into the air and on to his back – luckily his head doesn’t hit the gym’s wooden floor, but he will certainly have had some bad whiplash.
Huang is unable to get to his feet, even with help from his coach, and slumps down on to his back again, while the Muay Thai fighter bows his head in a show of traditional respect.
“Gotta love how the coach immediately starts jerking his head and neck around, trying to stand him back up whilst he's KTFO,” wrote one commenter on YouTube, where the video was posted by the Fight Commentary Breakdowns channel.
Chengdu is also the Chinese city were MMA fighter Xu Xiaodong famously knocked out tai chi “master” Lei Lei in around 10 seconds in 2017.
“He didn’t know taekwondo at all. He was only wearing the uniform,” said one commenter. “At least that belt kept his trousers up,” another wrote.

Nick Atkin
Nick is a production editor on the South China Morning Post’s sport desk, where he covers mixed martial arts (MMA). He was previously a sports writer and editor for ESPN.

THREADS
TKD (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42906-Tae-Kwon-Do)

GeneChing
02-08-2021, 11:52 AM
https://www.muaythaimagic.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/lumpinee.jpg
Lumpinee Stadium To Close Permanently (https://www.muaythaimagic.com/news/lumpinee-stadium-to-close-permanently)
News / By George Gordon
News recently broke that the famed Muay Thai stadium, Lumpinee, will likely not be re-opening. This is thought to be a part of military reform plans. The stadium came under scrutiny back in March 2020 for proceeding with an event, despite a government lockdown being implemented just a few days prior. The stadium is likely to be converted into a sports centre instead.

Lumpinee, along with Raja****ern stadium are two of the most historic and prestigious Muay Thai arenas in Bangkok. The stadium moved in 2014 to a new site, to accommodate more spectators. Stadium title holders are considered to be some of the most elite fighters in the sport and it is a huge goal of many fighters to achieve such status. Previous Lumpinee stadium champions include Saenchai, Anuwat and the only foreigner to win the title twice, Damian Alamos.

The sport of Muay Thai has struggled immensely during the Coronavirus pandemic. With fighters not earning to support their families, gyms all over the world closing and now potentially a pivotal stadium closing, it is paramount now more than ever that fans come together and support fighters, gyms and promotions where possible to keep the sport growing.

ONE Championship have done exceptionally well to keep events flowing regularly, and events will slowly but surely return across the rest of the world, but with a lack of finances to accommodate for fighters’ isolation and minimal revenue due to no fan attendance this will have long-lasting impacts. Support your gyms, keep training where you can, and tune in for your favourite fighters when they return

Author
George Gordon
@goodgame_muaythai

threads
Muay-Thai (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?26700-Muay-Thai)
covid (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71666-Coronavirus-(COVID-19)-Wuhan-Pneumonia)

GeneChing
05-27-2021, 10:53 AM
Luxury Resorts Are Using Martial Arts to Highlight Local Cultures (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-27/luxury-resorts-are-using-martial-arts-to-highlight-local-cultures)
Plan a trip that's worth fighting for.
By Jennifer Flowers
May 26, 2021, 10:25 PM PDT
https://assets.bwbx.io/images/users/iqjWHBFdfxIU/iQlGrJ5zKBZk/v1/1800x-1.jpg
Capoeira practice at the UXUA Casa Hotel & Spa in Trancoso, Brazil Source: UXUA

I’d spent three intense years training in jeet kune do—an expression of martial arts Bruce Lee developed—before finally making it to Leung Ting Gym in Hong Kong’s neon-lit Yau Ma Tei neighborhood. Among fruit and jade markets, a narrow staircase leads up to this living piece of history. It’s named for one of the last disciples of Grandmaster Ip Man, one of Lee’s most influential teachers, who helped popularize a 300-year-old kung fu style called wing chun.

Leung Ting Gym doesn’t normally allow visitors or drop-in students, so it’s a treat that my concierge at the Rosewood Hong Kong has brought me this far. Through a small window on a mustard-colored door, he and I watch in awe as three students perform the circular and linear hand motions of chi sau. Cantonese for “sticky hands,” it’s a calm, fluid way to diffuse the energy of an attacking opponent, a centuries-old lesson in grace under pressure.

Peering in, I think about wing chun’s founder, a Buddhist nun named Ng Mui from China’s legendary Shaolin Temple. Her fighting system tailored for smaller people has emboldened me as a 5-foot-2 Asian-American woman.

https://assets.bwbx.io/images/users/iqjWHBFdfxIU/iReEIa_mhBiU/v1/1400x-1.jpg
Silat at One&Only Desaru Coast,Source: One&Only Resorts

When I started training, I thought it would just be something to practice at home. But as I learned at Leung Ting Gym, martial arts in their original context are a compelling portal into other cultures, each movement intertwined with heritage and philosophy. In France there’s savate, a 19th century kicking art that evolved from Parisian street fighting but has the elegance of ballet. The highly efficient krav maga used by the Israeli military was developed by Jews in 1930s Czechoslovakia to defend themselves against violence. Filipino martial arts is a beautiful but deadly practice that had to masquerade as a cultural dance after Spanish colonists banned it in the Philippines; now it’s recognized as a national treasure.

Several forward-thinking resorts today are harnessing the martial arts industry—which racks up an estimated $4 billion in the U.S. each year—as a way to meet travelers’ demands for authentic adventure experiences. An invitation into a master’s private world can feel like the kind of genuine insider hospitality that many travelers seek; it’s as culturally enriching as museums, theater, or food.

https://assets.bwbx.io/images/users/iqjWHBFdfxIU/ibAdicR7Hzbw/v1/1400x-1.jpg
UXUASource: UXUA
At the recently opened One&Only Desaru Coast, a resort on the tropical southern tip of Malaysia, guests can privately study the fundamentals of silat, a Southeast Asian fighting style practiced to the beat of single-headed kompang hand drums. The teacher is Muhammad Muiz, who holds the elusive master title with the country’s National Silat Federation. A 45-minute lesson costs $60 per person, the same as a private session with a tennis pro at the resort, but with the added dimension of showcasing Malaysian culture.

https://assets.bwbx.io/images/users/iqjWHBFdfxIU/iDu0pM1Q7QBc/v1/400x-1.jpg
Kru Toom at Capella Bangkok Source: Capella Bangkok
In Thailand the eight-month-old Capella Bangkok provides a similar service. When the pandemic subsides, the resort will be the only place in the city to take a private lesson with former muay thai champion Parinya Kiatbusaba, better known as Kru Toom. For $145 she’ll teach you the secrets behind using shins, knees, elbows, and fists as “eight limbs” for fluid combat in the resort’s tree-shaded courtyard by the Chao Phraya River. With the help of a translator, she’ll also offer some historical context for muay thai, derived from centuries of tactics used in the ancient Siamese kingdom, and share her personal journey becoming one of the world’s few transgender boxers.

The UXUA Casa Hotel & Spa in Trancoso, Brazil, pays allegiance to capoeira, an acrobatic regional dance created by enslaved West Africans in the 16th century. The resort, co-founded by Bob Shevlin and Wilbert Das, ex-creative director of fashion label Diesel SpA, opened in 2009 with a capoeira program for underprivileged kids at a local school—many of whom now teach at an academy that raises money by offering $60-an-hour private lessons to guests.

https://assets.bwbx.io/images/users/iqjWHBFdfxIU/ifMEDofftEd0/v1/1400x-1.jpg
While I watch the class at Leung Ting Gym, my concierge improvises in Cantonese, hoping to broker access on my behalf. Eventually the door opens. The space is so minuscule, only I can enter—and just for a few minutes. I take in the elegant Chinese calligraphy on the walls, the soft-spoken direction from the sifu, or teacher, and the shuffling of the students’ feet.

I fixate on the wooden mook jong practice dummy in the corner, a replica of which sits in my own school back in Brooklyn. It’s an emblem of a tradition that’s crossed many generations, and the sight of it here, thousands of miles from New York, reminds me that these students and I share a rare and refined language. I’ve never felt so at home.

threads
Leung-Ting-Wingtsun (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?54844-Leung-Ting-Wingtsun)
Capoeira (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?5880-Capoeira)
Silat (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?2737-Silat)

GeneChing
07-20-2021, 05:00 PM
https://tpc.googlesyndication.com/simgad/14359969236170038248

GAISF President Raffaele Chiulli welcomes six new IOC recognised International Sports Federations (https://www.infobae.com/aroundtherings/press-releases/2021/07/20/gaisf-president-raffaele-chiulli-welcomes-six-new-ioc-recognised-international-sports-federations/)
July 20, 2021
GAISF President Raffaele Chiulli praised the six International Sports Federations (IFs) who were granted full International Olympic Committee (IOC) recognition at today’s IOC Session. The six fully recognised IFs granted full IOC recognition at the 138th IOC Session in Tokyo, Japan, are as follows:

♦ The International Cheerleading Union (ICU)

♦ The International Federation of Muaythai Associations (IFMA)

♦ The International Sambo Federation (FIAS)

♦ The International Federation Icestocksport (IFI)

♦ The World Association of Kickboxing Organisations (WAKO)

♦ World Lacrosse (WL)

GAISF President Chiulli said:

“This is a historic day for the global sports community and an incredible milestone for each of these respective sports. Today’s decision will provide a major boost for each of these now fully recognised IFs to continue to grow their sports around the world. GAISF will continue to provide its expertise and support throughout the next stage of their journeys, in addition to the ongoing support provided by ARISF and AIMS.”

As a service to our readers, Around the Rings will provide verbatim texts of selected press releases issued by Olympic-related organizations, federations, businesses and sponsors.

These press releases appear as sent to Around the Rings and are not edited for spelling, grammar or punctuation. Hold the phone...cheerleading?

threads
Tokyo-Olympics (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?64475-Tokyo-Olympics)
And we don't have a basic Kickboxing thread so I'm using this one: revert-to-kickboxing (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?27527-quot-revert-to-kickboxing-quot)

GeneChing
04-13-2022, 09:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u62w2jZixAw

threads
Kung-Fu-Music (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?36569-Kung-Fu-Music)
Muay-Thai (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?26700-Muay-Thai)

GeneChing
02-08-2023, 09:48 AM
Thai Cadets Break World Record With Mass Martial Arts Ritual (https://www.barrons.com/news/thai-cadets-break-world-record-with-mass-martial-arts-ritual-01675706409)
By AFP - Agence France Presse
February 6, 2023

https://www.barrons.com/asset/external-media/afp/AFP1146134577174637656584061766329175709275---1.jpg
Thousands of Muay Thai fighters perform the traditional Wai Kru ceremony during a festival in Rajabhakti Park, Thailand on February 6, 2023
Lillian SUWANRUMPHA

Video by Pitcha Dangprasith, photos by Lillian Suwanrumpha

Thousands of Thai army cadets, university students and a handful of volunteers performed a record-breaking Muay Thai "wai khru" ceremony on Monday, all under the watchful eyes of six massive statues of former kings.

The sunset gathering in Hua Hin, part of a Muay Thai Festival in the seaside resort town, broke the previous Guinness World Record of 250 by having 3,660 participants simultaneously performing the traditional pre-match dance of respect for their coach.

The sun had baked the sheets of concrete hot as the barefoot performers -- organised by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), the Royal Thai Army, and the culture and sport ministries -- filed onto the parade ground at Rajabhakti Park in front of Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-Cha.

Dressed in red uniforms with white Mongkhon headbands, as well as white Muay Kard Chuek ropes -- the hemp wrappings fighters wore before gloves -- the phalanx of men moved in near perfect unison to the directions of famed Muay Thai fighter Sombat "Buakaw" Banchamek.

"Congratulations, you're officially amazing," said the official Guinness adjudicator, confirming the record had been broken.

"I feel really proud," said 27-year-old performer Phukrit Purimchaithanat, adding he and his fellow-cadets were glad they had pulled it off after months of preparations.

A mix of bemused locals and tourists passing through the popular resort watched the spectacle from a few rickety metal bleachers, gathering around the sides of the fenced area as a loudspeaker blared.

"It's stunning, it's crazy, also in front of the kings and everything," said Hua Hin resident Siena Cruz, 32, as she enjoyed the show with friends.

"The visual is something connected to the tradition," she said, noting how integral the pre-match ritual was to the sport.

https://www.barrons.com/asset/external-media/afp/AFP1146134577174637656584061766329175709275---2.jpg
A Guiness World Records representative certified that the 3,660 participants had beaten the previous high of 250
Lillian SUWANRUMPHA

"To be part of another bit of history for Thailand, it's bragging rights," she said of the Guinness record.

"I like to watch, but boxing is scary," said June Rubyung, who had taken her grandson to watch the performance.

The 50-year-old Hua Hin local, who lives close to the army grounds where they performed, said she knew the army cadets had been practising for a month.

"I think they're good," she said, "they do it the correct way."

Martial-Arts-World-Records-and-Stunts (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?52601-Martial-Arts-World-Records-and-Stunts)
Muay-Thai (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?26700-Muay-Thai)