PDA

View Full Version : My assumptions:

Colin Kennedy
11-18-2003, 10:29 PM
I've recently (re)started exercising nightly. I can fit about 20 mins in each night.

I tried a while back to do the 'getting in shape' thing, and I tried out the 100 pushup program that's mentioned on this site, but ran into a couple of problems. First off, my back is shot, and it is the limiting factor when I do pushups. It's to the point these days that I can barely do a set of 20 pushups without yeilding to the pain in my back. So, pushups aren't really for me, at least not now.

The second problem I had in my attempt at fitness was that I came down with mono. I didn't even know it at first, and I kinda exercised while having it for a bit. Super-tired all the time, hot sweats, cold shivers. After I was diagnosed, I of course laid off for a while, but now I'm back to the point where I feel good (as in not throwing up) when I sweat, and the pain from my enlarged spleen is all gone, so I can lift whatever my muscles let me again.

Now to the point... My assumptions

1: low weight / high rep dumbell bench press will make my chest and arms stronger and increase their endurance (substitute any exercise / muscle group). My max set with the weight I'm using is about 40. These are pretty fast lifts, I'm thinking I should probably slow it down a bit.

2: If I work a muscle tonight, it doesn't necessarily have to be stiff and sore tomorrow in order for 'progress' to have been made.

3: If I work a muscle tonight, and it's not stiff and sore tomorrow, then I can work it again tomorrow night and tomorrow night's workout will be beneficial.

4: If a muscle is stiff and sore, then it's best to rest it till it feels good.

If you kind knowledgable folks could tell me whether my assumptions are at least half-truths or completely wrong, it'd be appretiated.

rubthebuddha
11-18-2003, 10:49 PM
howdy Colin.

1. low weight will only go so far as strength. if you only lift 100 pounds when working out, then you won't be able to go much better. work higher weights, you'll be able to lift higher weight.

however, you are correct in that high reps give you greater endurance. brute strength and muscular endurance are somewhat opposing goals. high weight/low rep for raw strength, low weight/high rep for endurance.

2. true. i'm less sore after high-weight/low-rep workouts the next day.

3. yes, to a degree. certain workout formats prefer working a muscle group each time, others work better on a day or two rest. ask us about a specific format for further help.

4. rest yes, but rest can be active. use that muscle, but go rather light on it. bodyweight exercises can be nice the day after a proper weightlifting session.

hopefully, Ford and Ironfist will add to this or correct me.

Toby
11-18-2003, 11:35 PM
Hi Colin,

I agree with RTB on all counts.

1. No strength (or minimal) for really high reps. Nothing wrong with increasing your explosive speed, though. However, you don't need to be doing 40 reps to develop it. Not my area of expertise. Ford?

2. I don't get sore from MA. Fatigued, yes. Stiff and sore, no.

3. Yes. I do PTP. Same exercises every day, heavy weights, low reps, no soreness.

4. No. Active rest increases blood flow to the sore area. Increased blood flow decreases recovery time. Sore lower body? Ride a bike. Sore upper body? Go swimming or paddling (not flat out, just at a leisurely pace). Dunno about your NFL etc, but in Oz, we often see TV footage of our footy players hitting the pool to recover after a hard game. They also do crazy **** like sit in a tub of ice for 30s, then do a couple of laps in a heated pool, then back in the ice and so on :eek:.

IronFist
11-19-2003, 05:50 PM
You threw up with mono? Holy crap! I never threw up with it, which is good, because my throat was so swollen that my neck would have exploded if I had thrown up.

I know about the feeling tired all the time. I had it for almost 2 months.

Colin Kennedy
11-19-2003, 06:12 PM
Yah, towards the tail end of it, I was feeling pretty good.

Figured I'd try and get some exercise (first time in months), so I did some pushups. In the middle of my second set of 20 I had to jump up and run to the bathroom.

I decided to give it another few weeks before going back at it.