PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with just teaching Kenpo/Kempo?

Salacious Crumb
11-19-2003, 08:20 AM
How come all these arts that are supposedly influenced by Kenpo, which may even contain Kenpo forms, never want to admit they are Kenpo-based? Even when the masters claim to have trained with Ed Parker, etc.?

Why do you always get the same story about how their master trained with Parker, but really, they showed Parker stuff, not the other way around?

Or, you get the Kempo guys who rewrite Chinese history and claim Kempo was the orginal style taught by Bodhidharma or some shlt like that.

Really, what's the stigma with just teaching Kenpo/Kempo?

txwingchun
11-19-2003, 08:46 AM
Kenpo politics are a mind boggling subject to behold

MonkeySlap Too
11-19-2003, 09:17 AM
I'll never get it. The art spread rapidly, as it filled a vacuum in American culture. Developing along many branches, some grew long, and some grew short. In my exposure to Kenpo people is that there is often a desperate need to claim a link to CMA or beleive that it is an improvement on CMA. When the Japanese Kenpo it evolved from was actually pretty cool to begin with (I know, I saw Thomas Young do his thing before he died) but this is something they deny whole heartedly for some reason.

Indestructible
11-19-2003, 10:23 AM
Al Tracy talks about some of your concerns at his site. Its not a real organized web site but it is filled with lots of Kenpo facts and history.

http://www.tracyskarate.com/

norther practitioner
11-19-2003, 10:25 AM
Never really got that whole thing either. I love all the old school pictures that come up that prove things too...:D

MasterKiller
11-19-2003, 10:28 AM
Al Tracy talks about some of your concerns at his site. Its not a real organized web site but it is filled with lots of Kenpo facts and history. That website needs some serious redesigning.

norther practitioner
11-19-2003, 10:48 AM
Anyone read Al Tracy's Elvis article...:rolleyes:

Some lofty claims...

119 opponents, no losses for this one GI dude.... all in a row.