PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Waterdragon! Diagonal Cut/O soto gari

Merryprankster
11-19-2003, 08:25 PM
Read this.

http://www.bestjudo.com/article4.shtml

I think maybe it looks more like your diagonal cut?

Water Dragon
11-19-2003, 08:30 PM
We have a video of us doing a drill with this variation. It's one of my favorites.

CrippledAvenger
11-19-2003, 09:36 PM
I remember that drill. I ate a lot of turf on that one.

It was fuuuuun. :D

SevenStar
11-20-2003, 12:00 PM
that's the version of o soto I like. Also, I will sometimes put both hands on the same lapel. I can drive my forearm better when it's on that side.

Tak
11-20-2003, 12:24 PM
Did anyone read the rebuttal (http://www.bestjudo.com/article4a.shtml)?

Classical seems very much like what I know as "chopping throw." (Performed as described in rebuttal.) Although we perform it also diagonally.

Water Dragon
11-20-2003, 01:00 PM
I think the article and the rebuttal are both correct. It depends on what you are trying to do, how you're built, and what works for you. When I teach/practice the throw, here is how I look at it.

We begin from non-contact distance, so the first thing you must do is secure your grip. I prefer either a classical elbow/collar tie or a grip on the elbow with my other hand in your throat.

This is basically personal preference though. Crip does real good using a plumb, othe rpeople will do something totally different. The idea is to get a good grip so you can open the guy up for entry and hold him there while ou enter. That's step 1.

Step 2 is the actual entry/posting. Once the grip is established, I'll come in with my left leg and post it down into your right leg so that the backs of our knees are running. If you fail to post, step out and do something else. If you get the post, wait for a half second to see how the opponent will respond. There are a few throws from here, it's not cutting only.

Step 3 is the actual throw. If you post out, just step out far on a 45 degree angle with the right foot and throw him over your posted left leg. Easy as pie