PDA

View Full Version : Bowflex??

SanSoo Student
11-19-2003, 09:40 PM
I saw one on sale at a local sports store for 200 bucks, and it seems to have applications for most of the major muscle groups.

Is it a good multi-station fitness machine? It says it is adjustable to over 150+ pounds of resistance. Has anyone every tried one out, or knows how it works?

Ford Prefect
11-20-2003, 10:21 AM
It's better than nothing and one of the better home gym machines out there. If you have access to free weights, then I would save my money.

SanSoo Student
11-20-2003, 10:37 AM
I have free weights but I want a machine that can do bench press and leg exercises also, and the bowflex does it. I just don't know how durable the machine is.

fa_jing
11-20-2003, 12:01 PM
Bowflex usually costs alot more than 200. Is it used? But it is probably very durable.

CaptinPickAxe
11-20-2003, 05:41 PM
Bowflex is magnificent for toning. I have used it before and I'm an avid fan of it. If you can get one for $200, buy it. I lost 15lbs in a month & a half.

SanSoo Student
11-20-2003, 09:02 PM
It was originally 400, but they are having a blowout sale so it is half off. I went by the store today and it was still there. 15 pounds in less than two months is amazing. :eek:

rubthebuddha
11-20-2003, 10:02 PM
shiite, i'd drop the money on that right now. :)

FatherDog
11-20-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
Bowflex is magnificent for toning.

*lights up the IronFist signal*

*waits for Iron to jump into the Fistmobile and race to this thread to lay down some correct*

abobo
11-21-2003, 09:24 AM
I'm still not sure what "toning" is supposed to mean.

I wouldn't buy one. For 200 bucks I could get free weights, gymnastics equipment, grip stuff...

rubthebuddha
11-21-2003, 10:56 AM
as far as toning, i'd simply define it as having a good base of muscle that has good endurance and a low amount of body fat. most people that say they want to be "toned" really want just a tad of muscle and the body-fat percentage low enough that the muscle is visible.

CD Lee
11-21-2003, 11:24 AM
Rubthebudda - so true on the toning thing. Most everybody that says they want to just tone up, have in mind at least getting a little better 'appearance' to their muscles. Who wants to 'tone up' and still look *exactly* like they did before? I can answer that....NOBODY.

200.00 for a real honest to goodness Bowflex? How tempting just on price alone. However, you know you can get 300 lbs of nice Olympic weights for 99.00 at some places. Brand new. You can easily work your legs for good strength with deadlifts. Take your other 100.00 and buy a bench or a nice set of dumbells, and you are pretty much set up for anything. Of course, I love weights, but I always liked machines too. 150 lbs, unless you are chronically weak, is not gonna cut it for your legs or back for long.

Oh, and with another 20.00, go buy a COC gripper and forget chin na, just grab a hunk of flesh on somebody that grabs you, and crush it! Ouch.

norther practitioner
11-21-2003, 02:37 PM
We had a bowflex in my old house.. it was pretty good...

I like the other bow machine more for some reason... don't remember why, but 200 bucks is a **** good price.

IronFist
11-21-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by FatherDog

*lights up the IronFist signal*

*waits for Iron to jump into the Fistmobile and race to this thread to lay down some correct*

roflmao! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Uh, if Bowflex is good for "toning," I assume then that it is good at providing low calorie meals and forcing you to do cardio, because we all know by now that the only way to "tone" is to lower your body fat, which is something that is NOT accomplished in any way shape or form by lifting weights.

Anyway, if I recall correctly, the leg exercises on bowflex suck. It's like leg extensions which are pretty crappy when compared with squats or even leg presses.