PDA

View Full Version : UFC 45 Revolution 10th Anniversary show -- Friday Night (11/21) on pay-per-view

truewrestler
11-20-2003, 10:06 AM
Preview: http://sherdog.com/articles/ufc45preview/ufc45preview_01.htm

UFC Website: http://www.ufc.tv

sherdog.com...

The official line-up looks like this:

- Striker Chris Ligouri makes his UFC debut against grappler Keith Rockel
- "Thug Jitsu" stylist Yves Edwards goes toe-to-toe with Midwest grappler Nick Aguilar
- Miletich Fighting Systems warrior Robbie Lawler tangles with Pancrase veteran Chris Lytle
- Superbrawl showman Falaniko Vitale returns to the cage against Team Quest wrestler Matt Lindland in a rematch of their recent brief encounter
- Middleweight terror Phil Baroni takes to the cage against Evan Tanner from Team Quest
- Ruas Vale Tudo fighter Pedro Rizzo battles former UFC heavyweight champion Ricco Rodriguez
- Long-time UFC veteran Tank Abbott throws down with heavyweight title contender Wesley Correira
- And in the headliner, reigning UFC Middleweight Champion Matt Hughes faces RAW Team wrestler Frank Trigg in Trigg's first trip inside the octagon

Ford Prefect
11-20-2003, 10:26 AM
Not a bad card. I grappled with Keith a few times at my old BJJ school because he'd come by for open mats. Pretty strong on the ground.

Chang Style Novice
11-20-2003, 11:42 AM
"Thug Jitsu"?!!?

And his name is Yves?!!??!!???!!?

I'm sorry, but I find that hilarious.

And yes, I'm well aware that I've talked repeatedly about conceptual artist Yves Klein's background as a blackbelt in Judo and resident of the Kodokan.

Suntzu
11-20-2003, 12:09 PM
don't sleep on Yves..... wish Din didn't get hurt............. and Trigg has been talkin mad sh!t for a while..... does he really want it???

FatherDog
11-20-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Suntzu
and Trigg has been talkin mad sh!t for a while..... does he really want it???

If by "it" you mean "to be spiked like a football", I'd say Trigg apparently wants "it" pretty badly.

truewrestler
11-20-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
"Thug Jitsu"?!!?

And his name is Yves?!!??!!???!!?

I'm sorry, but I find that hilarious.

And yes, I'm well aware that I've talked repeatedly about conceptual artist Yves Klein's background as a blackbelt in Judo and resident of the Kodokan. That's just what he calls it. He has trainned in the same combat sports/martial arts as most MMA fighters. What's even funnier is that he calls it Thug Jitsu and then comes in wearing a cowboy hat. http://sherdog.com/fightfinder/displayfighter.cfm?fighterid=344

Carlos Newton, who is one of the best grapplers in the world, calls his style Dragon Ball Jiu-Jitsu

Suntzu
11-20-2003, 02:02 PM
Carlos Newton is a wierdo.... but he didn't deserve what Anderson Sliva did to him......... lol....

truewrestler
11-20-2003, 02:14 PM
I haven't seen that fight (edit: except highlight of the ko online) but I heard there was a standup shortly before the ko

old jong
11-20-2003, 02:53 PM
"TT***********MFT" says Tank!...;)

truewrestler
11-20-2003, 03:05 PM
Tank is gonna get whooped!

old jong
11-20-2003, 03:13 PM
Yeah!....I think his "tank" is empty anyway!...;)

Chang Style Novice
11-20-2003, 04:00 PM
Wait - his name is Yves and he comes from Woodlands, Texas? At least there's no mystery about what makes him so mean!:D

Seriously, no matter how great your skills are, calling your style "Thug Jitsu" or "DragonballZ Jitsu" is just silly. But I'm in favor of silly. When people take this stuff too seriously it becomes no fun at all.

FatherDog
11-20-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
Seriously, no matter how great your skills are, calling your style "Thug Jitsu" or "DragonballZ Jitsu" is just silly. But I'm in favor of silly. When people take this stuff too seriously it becomes no fun at all.

Eddy Rolon, one of my coaches, has used "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" as his entrance music for at least one pro fight.

truewrestler
11-21-2003, 08:21 AM
to the top

truewrestler
11-21-2003, 01:35 PM
backttt

norther practitioner
11-21-2003, 02:23 PM
Eddy Rolon, one of my coaches, has used "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" as his entrance music for at least one pro fight.

lmfao:D

old jong
11-21-2003, 03:36 PM
"Au haut de la page s'il vous plait!...";)

old jong
11-21-2003, 04:01 PM
Alla cima por favor

truewrestler
11-24-2003, 08:53 AM
anyone watch? Some good fights... Matt Hughes x Frank Trigg was awesome

FatherDog
11-24-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by truewrestler
anyone watch? Some good fights... Matt Hughes x Frank Trigg was awesome

Lawler/Lytle was good in the first and third rounds. What happened in the second, I dunno. Maybe Lawler's leg went on him again.

The Baroni stoppage was UTTER BULL**** and Landless should go back to reffing school. Jesus. Baroni was totally out of line with the punches and deserves to be suspended, but my god. That was such blatant incompetence on Landless' part that I was stunned.

Tank/Cabbage was annoying because I was hoping to see a more decisive finish. I hate cut stoppages.

The Lindland/Vitale match was cool. Matt actually demonstrated decent standup. It's cool to see him improving.

The Hughes/Trigg match was awesome; the wrestling and scrambling was terrific to watch. I could easily have watched a full five rounds of it, and I hope they keep Trigg around in the UFC, and possibly give him an eventual rematch.

WHY THE **** WAS RIZZO/RICCO A PRELIM?!?

truewrestler
11-24-2003, 09:56 AM
The Baroni stoppage was UTTER BULL**** and Landless should go back to reffing school. Jesus. Baroni was totally out of line with the punches and deserves to be suspended, but my god. That was such blatant incompetence on Landless' part that I was stunned. Maybe... but I have read on Sherdog.com the following:

When I asked referee Landless what happened with the stoppage he informed me he was asking Baroni if he wanted out. Phil responded yes and he moved into end the match. Baroni thought he was asking if he wanted to continue and was enraged that the fight was stopped. Landless also said he would have restarted the match if it weren’t for the outburst from Baroni.

It sounds like there was some genuine miscommunication that seems like it would be inherent in UFC/MMA refereeing. That needs to be improved on...

Baroni was fukked regardless 1) in the past Tanner has shown he can cause damage from mount with forearms 2) Baroni has shown he sucks from the bottom. The fight would have ended soon after by a warranted ref stoppage. I think it would have been great if the fight have been resumed in the same position and it sounds like that is what might have happened if not for Baroni's outlash... oh well... he is a jack4ss

FatherDog
11-24-2003, 12:08 PM
Maybe... but I have read on Sherdog.com the following:

When I asked referee Landless what happened with the stoppage he informed me he was asking Baroni if he wanted out. Phil responded yes and he moved into end the match. Baroni thought he was asking if he wanted to continue and was enraged that the fight was stopped. Landless also said he would have restarted the match if it weren’t for the outburst from Baroni.

If a fighter is collected enough to listen to and respond to a question from a referee, he is also collected enough to tap if he's taking too much punishment. Landless had no business trying to start a conversation with a fighter who's trying to defend himself from elbows. He should have been doing his job, which was to watch Baroni's eyes (to see if they were glazed over, or alert and tracking movement) and body (to see if he was moving to protect himself, or going slack and limp).

Baroni was fukked regardless 1) in the past Tanner has shown he can cause damage from mount with forearms 2) Baroni has shown he sucks from the bottom.

Baroni took over twenty elbows from Lindland while mounted with one arm trapped, and still not only survived without injury, but also got up (from under a silver medalist, no less, which I hardly think qualifies as 'sucking' on the bottom.) There were 20 seconds left in the round, and until he turned his head to answer Landless' question, he was blocking Tanner's shots.

The fight would have ended soon after by a warranted ref stoppage.

I think he could have held on till the end of the round, just as he did against Lindland, but we'll never know.

I think it would have been great if the fight have been resumed in the same position and it sounds like that is what might have happened if not for Baroni's outlash... oh well... he is a jack4ss

Yes, I'm not in any way excusing Baroni's actions; that was completely out of line. But the entire situation was complete bull**** and the result of a display of incompetence by Landless. Baroni fully deserves to be fined and suspended, but I consider it unfortunate that Landless is probably not going to receive any disciplinary action for his mistakes, and will probably continue reffing UFC matches without any repercussions.

truewrestler
11-24-2003, 12:24 PM
first of all I want to clarify that I think the fight was definitely stopped a little early

Landless had no business trying to start a conversation with a fighter who's trying to defend himself from elbows. He should have been doing his job, which was to watch Baroni's eyes (to see if they were glazed over, or alert and tracking movement) and body (to see if he was moving to protect himself, or going slack and limp) He was following the way he has been instructed to ref... not that he didn't stop it early but him asking Baroni questions is apparently part of what he is supposed to do... sounds screwy ehhh? maybe he is supposed to wait till he thinks baroni is out of it? ...maybe he though baroni was out of it? i don't know... I'd like to hear more about this
There were 20 seconds left in the round, and until he turned his head to answer Landless' question, he was blocking Tanner's shots. No he wasn't and Lindland barely punches better than Dan Severn. Tanner is known for his elbows from the top and got a good 6 or 7 unblocked elbows in quickly after mounting Baroni
I think he could have held on till the end of the round, just as he did against Lindland, but we'll never know. yeah, maybe and I agree
Yes, I'm not in any way excusing Baroni's actions; that was completely out of line. But the entire situation was complete bull**** and the result of a display of incompetence by Landless. Baroni fully deserves to be fined and suspended, but I consider it unfortunate that Landless is probably not going to receive any disciplinary action for his mistakes, and will probably continue reffing UFC matches without any repercussions. The problem with that is... the fight may have continued from the same position but Baroni's actions threw any corrections the refs could have made out the window. If Sakuraba had started punching Big John McCarthy after his first fight with Conan ending in a bad stoppage they definitely wouldn't have given him another shot that same night.

Fights have been restarted after bad stoppages in the past... Lindland/Bustamante for example (although I don't think that was a bad stoppage, ironic ehh)

FatherDog
11-24-2003, 01:47 PM
He was following the way he has been instructed to ref... not that he didn't stop it early but him asking Baroni questions is apparently part of what he is supposed to do... sounds screwy ehhh? maybe he is supposed to wait till he thinks baroni is out of it? ...maybe he though baroni was out of it? i don't know... I'd like to hear more about this

I'd like to see definite criteria laid out for what refs are supposed to do and what they aren't. Regardless, I think it's ridiculous to expect a fighter to process a verbal question from a ref and respond while they're trying to defend themselves.

No he wasn't and Lindland barely punches better than Dan Severn. Tanner is known for his elbows from the top and got a good 6 or 7 unblocked elbows in quickly after mounting

I've never felt Lindland elbow me, or Tanner elbow me, so I can't give a comparison. Regardless, Baroni was still moving, throwing punches up at Tanner, and covering his face, did not appear to be wounded, and wasn't bleeding. He sure looked a hell of a lot more alert and aware than Tanner did before the cut stoppage.

Baroni yeah, maybe and I agree The problem with that is... the fight may have continued from the same position but Baroni's actions threw any corrections the refs could have made out the window. If Sakuraba had started punching Big John McCarthy after his first fight with Conan ending in a bad stoppage they definitely wouldn't have given him another shot that same night.

Fights have been restarted after bad stoppages in the past... Lindland/Bustamante for example (although I don't think that was a bad stoppage, ironic ehh)

Oh, yeah; it's Baroni's lack of control that's really ****ed the situation up beyond repair. I'm just annoyed that the main problem (bad reffing) isn't going to be addressed. It's been a problem in the past, and it's probably going to continue to be a problem in the future.