PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on how to fight dogs?

Morpheus
04-23-2000, 05:44 PM
I'm not going to take it up as a sport, but I have problems when jogging with dogs chasing (and on one occasion catching) me.
I usually carry my trusty short staff when running these days but it's occured to me that with all the training I do I wouldn't be confident facing down a large dog empty handed. Any ideas?

Metal Fist
04-23-2000, 06:35 PM
Carry a knife or gun (if legal in your area) or maybe pepper spray. The short staff or expandable baton would be good to have. The best thing is to avoid areas whrer these kind of animals are.

JWTAYLOR
04-23-2000, 08:00 PM
Wow, we had the exact same discussion about 5 months ago.
The general consensus from people that had raised dogs, (Rotty's and Grate Dane's for my family) was that:
1. DO NOT LET YOURSELF BE PULLED TO THE GROUND FOR ANY REASON. I don't care if the dog is actually tearing your foot from your leg. Better the foot than the throat.
2. Giving a large dog your arm may very likely result in a broken arm. Live with it.
3. This sounds crazy but it really does work, scold the dog. You know, yell "bad dog" and "no" allot. Most dogs have some kind of domestication and this kind of thing still gets to them.
4. DO NOT RUN. Unless you know FOR SURE you will outrun the dog. Chasing is instictual for a dog. Running lets the dog know that you are prey.
5. Find a weapon. Use it on the dog as hard as you can. Absolutely no mercy. Dogs, as well as most other predatory animals, have an amazing ability to shrug off pain. My mother actually shot one of our dogs right between the eyes from less than 10' away with at 273 hunting rifle. The dog barely blinked. He was killing a neighbors goat. He didn't even pause when he was shot. He didn't let go until my dad came out and told him to heal.
6. If all else fails, shove your hand down the dogs throat and keep it there. Be aware that you could very likely end up with a broken arm trying this. Again, live with it.
Just think of punching down it's throat.

All of this applies to big dogs. If a dog is terrier sized then don't be too affraid. You might get snipped, but just kick the sh!t out of it and if it tries to jump pick it up and throw it.

JWT

------------------
If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

wisdom mind
04-24-2000, 01:56 AM

[This message has been edited by wisdom mind (edited 05-25-2000).]

JWTAYLOR
04-24-2000, 02:24 AM
It would be next to impossible to keep control of a large, vicious dog's head. You might as well try to hold the handle of a samurai's sword.
Dogs have incredibly powerful necks and backs. This is because, unlike large cats, dogs kill by ripping side to side and pulling back with their heads, not by puncture or smother. If attacked, the dog will lunge, bite, pull back and then side to side. You will not be able to keep your hands on it.
And also, kill the friggin dog. Don't be kind, just, or compasionate in any way. You have no idea if the dog is rabid or not. If you are bitten, the dog will most likely be killed anyway. If he's actually attacking a standing, (not running) individual, he's either starving or rabid. Most likely rabid. Either way, it's safest for everyone to put a bad dog down.
JWT

------------------
If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

TIDAL
04-28-2000, 05:01 PM
How are we all doing Im new to the forum so Ill start by saying hi everybody. I've recently begun training in buk sing CLF and the funny thing is somebody recently asked the same question at training about dogs. One of the guys who trains there actually works with dogs. He said one way of dealing with them is to wait until they jump at you and pull one of their front legs down. This apparently rips their heart and kills them. I know this may be a little extreme so I would start with using other peoples advice first.

flavour54
05-22-2000, 07:22 PM
Drop down low ,grab the front legs of the dog and pull them a part, it kills them as it tears their hearts apart.

------------------
"take the pebble from my hand"

JWTAYLOR
05-22-2000, 08:54 PM
Dear lord, who tells you people this sh!t?
Grab a big, attacking dog's front legs?!
Sounds like a great way to get your throat mangled.
What, exactly are you doing about the sharp teeth and powerfull jaws that are quite desperately trying to rip you apart.
Whatever you do, never reach down on a big dog. DOGS ARE BETTER GRAPPLERS THAN YOU. And I don't care who you are. Why do you think a dog is the mascott for so many grapplers? The ground is their world. They have four legs on it and their main weapon above. You have to go through that main weaon to get the front legs. Sound like a good idea?
Tidal, my family raised Great Danes and later Rottys for years here in Texas. Faith Springs Farm. I don't know who this guy that works with dogs is that you know but he must not work with big dogs. These dogs often outweigh their owners. Trying to pull one of these animals' frong legs would be the last mistake you ever made.
JWT

05-23-2000, 04:07 AM
"Whatever you do, never reach down on a big dog. DOGS ARE BETTER GRAPPLERS THAN YOU. And I don't care who you are. Why do you think a dog is the mascott for so many grapplers? The ground is their world."

Yes that's right! Didn't you all know that Brazilian Jiu Jitsu was originally Dog Style Kung fu? It became rare and out of practice because most Chinese people consider it degrading to liken themselves to dogs. the last master of the Dog style was driven out of China and sought refuge in brazil, where he taught all his skills to his only disciple...a street hobo named Gracie. This is all first hand information i received from Ralph "The Pit Bull" Gracie. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

On a more serious note though I've never studied up on methods to defending against dogs but I did have an experience a couple years ago. i was out walking and on my way back home I crossed this street and as soon as i got on the sidewalk on the other side, this big dog that was sitting on a porch came running at me barking and bearing its teeth. Before i knew it the animal was closing in on me fast and so i basically freaked out and made him my soccerball with one heavy kick. It sent him reeling back and then i ran like hell. It got back up and started pursuing me but I was already way ahead of him and he gave up the pursuit when i was at a good distance from his home. i don't really know if my "kick & run" strategy is considered smart by the experts of Dog-fu but it worked pretty well for me. So the way i see it is that if you can kick the dog away from you with a solid kick and then run like hell then You should be fine. I think dogs are pretty territorial and once you steer clear of his turf he won't bother pursuing you.

JWTAYLOR
05-23-2000, 06:12 PM
Good advice.
JWT

Wudang
05-30-2000, 08:31 PM
First of all, don't stare a dog in the eyes -they consider that a challenge! If a dog is just barking at you, but not baring its teeth in a snarl, relax & continue on your way.

If a dog is following after you and doesn't look as if it's going to back off, start looking for garbage can lids (preferably metal) to use as shield. Also, good solid objects that can be shoved inside the dogs's mouth as a substitute for your limbs.

If a dog starts to lunge at you, use the garbage can lid as a shield in one hand, use another solid object & strike against the snout- a very sensitive and vulnerable target. If nothing else, they will go into sneezing fits, giving you enough time to get inside a store, car, etc.

If you are in a city, get behind a light pole or stop sign, keeping it between you and the dog - if it goes around in 1 direction, travel the other, keeping the pole as a barrier between you. Remove a shoe & use that as a weapon.

If a large dog has already clamped down on me, I would either strike to its nose or pick its hind quarters up off the ground by grabbing & lifting the tail - they will then instinctively let go to turn around and go after what has grabbed its tail...

Or do what mailmen do - carry pepperspray.

[This message has been edited by Wudang (edited 05-31-2000).]

Wudang
06-01-2000, 02:25 AM
You could also remove your coat or long-sleeved shirt and shove the sleeve (from the inside of the sleeve-same direction as if you were putting your arm through) over the dog's snout as a muzzle. Same as an alligator, a dog's jaws are much stronger in closing than in opening.

Highlander
06-01-2000, 03:59 AM
O.K. I've never had to fight a dog, I wasn't told to do this, and I've never done this, but reading the other post, I had kind of a crazy thought. I'm positive this won't work in severe cases, but I thought I'd post it and see with everyone else thinks.

Instead of carrying a weapon or ripping the dogs heart apart, how about carrying a pocket full of dog treats (the basty bones are the best). As they are eating them you could slip away. Of course this may encourage them to follow you, but dogs are pretty much territorial and shouldn't follow you too far unless it is already lost. So what do you think?

Seeker of the Way
06-01-2000, 05:20 PM
*Eek* Nasty topic, but I suppose this sort of thing is good to know. However, what is the deal with punching down a large dog's throat? Is it so uncomfortable, that the dog will back off? Not like I want to risk an arm doing that. In doing so, I'd rather kick or whack it over the snout. This thing with ripping its heart in two sounds rather brutal, but maybe it's better to put it down straight away. At least here in Denmark, law dictates that a dog tasting human blood once must be destroyed.

So, hey, one can at least be prepared to kill it, if it's either him or you?

I'd still like to hear why it's smart to punch down it's throat?

Laterness,
SotW

------------------
The dance of life, the capering of elements, and skip of gods. The dance is mine, I AM the dance.

Highlander
06-01-2000, 07:56 PM
I don't if I would try to punch down a dogs throat when other options exist, but I was always taught that is a dog bites my arm and doesn't let go, to push my arm into the dogs mouth instead of trying to pull away. This forces the dog's jaw to open further than would be natural, creates pain, and the dog will release to get away. This would be in line with the philosophy of attacking the attacker and not the hold that we use against human attackers. If a person gets you in a choke hold, attack the knees, groin, shins, or any other part that causes pain. When the desire to get away exceeds the desire to hold on, the hold will be broken. Anyway, that's my take on punching down the dogs throat.

Ky-Fi
06-01-2000, 08:24 PM
Another option would be to carry a couple cats with you whenever you jog. When a menacing dog approaches, just toss a cat at it. If it's a tough cat, it would kick the dog's a$$--and if the cat runs away, chances are the dog will chase the cat instead of you. Either way, problem solved.

savagemonk
06-01-2000, 09:02 PM
Listen it's fairly simple dogs are animals smart but still animals. So you can defeat them one of 2 ways.1/You can buy a sonic dog deterent from somewhere like the edge company {I think thats the name}. or 2/be prepared to fight more savagely then them. If you want to kill them or it you must be prepared for them and the fallout from the choise you make. GOOD LUCK

------------------
savagemonk

Highlander
06-01-2000, 09:04 PM
Ky-Fi ..... LOL. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Have you ever been holding a cat when a dog charges? I think I'd rather fight the dog.

Ky-Fi
06-01-2000, 09:11 PM
Hmm...That's a good point, Highlander--I hadn't thought of that. I may have to rethink my position on this subject.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Seeker of the Way
06-02-2000, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the fist-to-the-throat info. I'll keep it in mind. Though, with me not being that trained, I think I'd just flip if a dog attacked me, and kick it in the head. Isn't that always a viable solution? http://216.219.234.88/forum/roundtable/rolleyes.gif

Peace out /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
SotW

------------------
The dance of life, the capering of elements, and skip of gods. The dance is mine, I AM the dance.

shawn28
06-15-2000, 03:36 AM
I dont know if it works
but I was told the same
thing that a dog will
go for the throat so when
he jumps plant your feet and grab
both of the front paws,
fall back and straighten your
arms at the same time..

SM

Slater_E
06-15-2000, 06:34 AM
I fought a doberman once. It was messy. It was quick and frenzied, but from what I remember in my adreneline induced state, the dog repeatedly went for the throat.
This is my main point. Always throw an arm acrossed your throat to protect it. then use teh other arm to beat it around the head and face. if you can in turn go for the dogs throat do it. and also don't have any hesitations about killing the dog by crushing teh throat, slamming the head with a pole etc... It's just another dog. and a big one at that. always protect your throat. instinctively they go for the neck. protect it and then try and hurt/maime/KILL the dog.
(It was a big doberman, I didn't kill him, I just hit him in the head with my fist enough to convince him to stop LOL)

------------------
"In a fight, there is no second place."

[This message has been edited by Slater_E (edited 06-15-2000).]

dooder
06-20-2000, 12:47 AM
Most dogs aren't out to kill people. Carry pepper spray. Don't try and kill a dog because your scared it's not likely you'll win. Be calm and move slowly dogs can sense your fear. They're not just another dog or just another animal, dogs are peoples pets and beloved family members and you'll end up having to deal with their people if you kill it. Try talking to the owner. Chance are they'll fix the situation. Act with compasion.

ChiSau
06-20-2000, 01:29 AM
Dooder, while your regard for the dog's owners may be in some respects admirable, it lacks a certain amount of sense. If you are indeed attacked unprovoked by a dog, it is a dangerous animal to everyone around it. You may very well be in a life or death fight, and if both of you come out of it alive, the animal will need to be put down anyhow. We do whatever we can to stay healthy, and sometimes compassion flies out the window in the face of a crisis.

Pepper spray may be a good idea though. Let's hope you're fast enough to make use of it.

ChiSau

dooder
06-20-2000, 03:00 AM
I really can't say I know just how often dogs attack people and yes by all means if your attacked by any animal or person fight for your life and well being. If your going to jog and have a reacuring problem with a dog chasing you carry pepper spray and/or talk to the owner. Where evr you live it's not going to fly to well shooting a dog and fighting it with your hands or a knife/stick is a bad idea. Just because a dogs chasing you doesen't mean it's going to attack or thats its rabid. Use your best judgement and keep a calm head.

laughing tiger
06-21-2000, 02:54 AM
(laughing with Ki-Fi)...you are a hoot! :-) My instict would be to cock my leg, ready to give Le Pooch a hard side kick, right on the button...then follow up (if I'm still alive..LOL) with kicks to the dogs ribs and/or stomps to his cute lil' paws.

Morpheus
06-29-2000, 01:05 PM
Just to clarify things, it's illegal to carry almost any weapon here including knives unless you have a 'legitimate reason'. It is illegal to even posess pepper spray so that's not an option. I can get away with carrying a short staff for cultural/training reasons. We also thankfully don't have rabies here so that's not an issue, however several people a year are put in hospital by dog attacks in this state alone.
Thanks for all the advise people.

MaFuYee
06-30-2000, 01:17 AM
double lop sao to the dog's front legs,
and then bil jee to the dog's eyes.

Wyvern_Beta
07-18-2000, 10:39 AM
I think Maxim did an article about this occurence a few months ago. Jon Perkins, a retired police officer and forensics expert said to wrap a jacket around around your arm and hold it out to him, away from your body. The dog, in most cases, will clamp onto whichever arm is offered. Then, start kicking its testicles and stomp on its paws while using your other hand to jam your fingers into its eyes.

JWTAYLOR
07-18-2000, 07:48 PM
Sounds like good advice as long as you've got a jacket on. Which I do about 2 weeks a year here in Texas.

JWT

8stepsifu
08-05-2000, 11:04 AM
I was just thinking about this last week. A dog was barking and baring his teeth because I was in his territory(the sidewalk) at first I thought I should avoid the situation like a good martial artist and then I thought, "what the (%$#, Im not cow towing to this mutt and I told it to go home walking towards it and giving it a death glare, fully preparing to give it a front kick. I was intent enough that the dog ran away.

pweor
08-05-2000, 11:54 PM
That's true. Most dogs are disciplined and a good stern "NO!" will turn them away. Running is the worst thing you can do with a dog.

--Dan

totallyfrozen
08-07-2000, 02:52 AM
Well, that's an interesting thought but it sounds like something you'd see on TV. You may get chased by a dog simply because he can smell the Scooby Snacks in your pocket. I have been attacked by dogs a few times, I don't remember that I had enough time to reach in my pocket an pull out a Scooby Snack. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Highlander:
O.K. I've never had to fight a dog, I wasn't told to do this, and I've never done this, but reading the other post, I had kind of a crazy thought. I'm positive this won't work in severe cases, but I thought I'd post it and see with everyone else thinks.

Instead of carrying a weapon or ripping the dogs heart apart, how about carrying a pocket full of dog treats (the basty bones are the best). As they are eating them you could slip away. Of course this may encourage them to follow you, but dogs are pretty much territorial and shouldn't follow you too far unless it is already lost. So what do you think?[/quote]

totallyfrozen
08-07-2000, 02:57 AM
Aah, HAHAHAHAHAHA!!
JUST TOSS 'EM LIKE HAND GRENADES! That's funny. "Cat Grenades"! Hehehehe /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ky-Fi:
Another option would be to carry a couple cats with you whenever you jog. When a menacing dog approaches, just toss a cat at it. If it's a tough cat, it would kick the dog's a$$--and if the cat runs away, chances are the dog will chase the cat instead of you. Either way, problem solved.

[/quote]

totallyfrozen
08-07-2000, 03:12 AM
. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dooder:
Most dogs aren't out to kill people. Carry pepper spray. Don't try and kill a dog because your scared it's not likely you'll win. Be calm and move slowly dogs can sense your fear. They're not just another dog or just another animal, dogs are peoples pets and beloved family members and you'll end up having to deal with their people if you kill it. Try talking to the owner. Chance are they'll fix the situation. Act with compasion. [/quote]
I have been attacked several times by dogs. This is difficult for me to say because I know there are alot of pet owners and lovers out there. Dogs are not humans. They don't think like humans, they don't act like humans, they don't understand humans ways, laws, or society.
If you are attacked by a dog, you have to be willing to KILL it. I'm sorry. This is reality. The dog WILL kill you..it's trying to..otherwise it wouldn't be going for you throat. "Oh, it's just following instict." you might say. Well, is that instict going to tell it to stop before it kills you? What do you think? The answer is 'NO'. The dog will kill you in a vigorous attempt to tear you into submission.
I'm sorry but the reality is that if you are attacked by a dog..you will have judgement call to make...but you must be willing to kill the dog. Actually, I would TRY to kill any dog (or large any animal) that attacked me.
Save mercy and compassion for humans.

Animals are savage and ignorant. They don't understand laws or the value of human life..they cannot. They are animals.
Don't tease them and don't provoke them...mind your own business, but if you are attatcked...be willing to kill...you might have to.
Your not responsible for the pet owners feelings, just like your not responsible for the feelings of the mother of some mugger you have to hurt to save yourself.
Self defense is just that. If someone doesn't want trouble, then they should not look for it..and that means keeping their animals under control.

totallyfrozen
08-07-2000, 03:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Morpheus:
Just to clarify things, it's illegal to carry almost any weapon here including knives unless you have a 'legitimate reason'. It is illegal to even posess pepper spray so that's not an option. I can get away with carrying a short staff for cultural/training reasons. We also thankfully don't have rabies here so that's not an issue, however several people a year are put in hospital by dog attacks in this state alone.
Thanks for all the advise people.[/quote]
Here's an idea. The post about the Scooby Snacks made me think of it (I actually know a guy who did this)...
Take some ground beef and some Valium pills. Crush the pills into the beef and make meatballs. Just chuck a meatball at the running dog and soon he will lie down for a nap! Hehehehe..
I'm just kidding of course.
I know a guy who neighbor's dog barked NON STOP (I'm surprised the dog didn't go horse). The neighbor wouldn't do anything about it after being asked repeatedly. My friend worked nights and needed to sleep in the day. He put Valium in meatballs and threw them over the fence (just a couple), waited 20 minutes and laid down for a nap...the dog was napping too. He did this for a couple of months before he just moved. Hehehehe.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

totallyfrozen
08-07-2000, 03:34 AM
On a more serious note:
I was attacked by a retired police dog once. Trained attack dogs are the worst BY FAR...they use stealth. This dog walked up to me like nothing was going on and when it got up to me, it looked up at me (just for a second) like it wanted to be my friend, then it jumped up on my chest and tried to wrap it's mouth around my throat. The dog only barked ONCE..when it was snapping for my throat! I put my chin down REALLY QUICK..which saved me, but I got my face bit. I still have a scar on my chin. The owner apologized, etc.
My foster dad was attacked by a german sheppard also, once. The dog charged, grabbed his arm, and tried to drag him down. He turned his wrist and worked his fist down the dogs throat. He grabbed the back of the dog's neck with his other hand so the dog wouldn't get away (otherwise it could mount another attack). He worked his hand down it's throat, then laid on it on the ground until the dog was dead.
Like I said before...mercy if for humans...you have to be prepared to kill a dog. If he had tried to "run it off" it would have come back from another angle and attacked again.
A sad story...but combat is always sad.

I had another friend, Jake, in the Army. He was in the Special Forces. He had been trained to silence guard dogs and fight dogs. He died (at the hands of communist guerrillas not dogs) before he had a chance to teach me those skills.
I tell you this so that you know that there is a science to it and there are probably some military training videos on the topic if someone seriously wants to learn how to fight guard dogs (which would surely equip you to fight a normal "pet" dog).

Razorblade
08-19-2000, 03:58 AM
I've had fairly frequent run-ins with large dogs and I find the most effective tactic is to just stand still. The dogs just stood their distance from me and growled but never actually attempted to bite me. After awhile I just slowly began walking away. Trying to outrun a dog (unless safety is close by)isn't very bright. Even if you were able to outrun the dog, it's not going to tire as fast as you will and it will eventually catch you. Dogs are some of the best long distance runners in the animal kingdom. So in short, don't expend energy trying to outrun a dog, if it does attack it's better to just stand your ground and conserve your energy for a fight.

[This message has been edited by Razorblade (edited 08-19-2000).]

Mojo
08-23-2000, 01:21 AM
On another board someone posted that if the dog clamps down on your arm/hand you should jam the fingers of your other hand up its *******. The dog will always let go.
I'm not sure if that was a joke or what ?
Made me laugh, though.

joehyer
09-02-2000, 09:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wisdom mind:

[This message has been edited by wisdom mind (edited 05-25-2000).][/quote]

I see: Far better to be silent and thought the fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

------------------
Joehyer

BrutallyFrank
09-20-2000, 03:44 AM
Boy, There's some funny stuff posted here, also some completely ridiculous stuff (i.e. the grab the front legs thing, ???).
My brother worked as a dog trainer for awhile and specialized in training attack dogs, mostly Rottweilers. From this, I am educated on the subject of fighting dogs (although I've never had to put this technique to use personnally, I've heard it's the best way).
First, let's assume that we're talking doberman-rottweiler-pitbull(God Forbid)-alsasian etc. and not lap rats.
First of all, if you're wearing a thin little t-shirt and shorts in the summer and a dog is on his way to take you down, you're ****ed.
If the season calls for heavier clothing, you're in luck.
1-While staring down the dog and slowly backing off, take you're jacket or shirt off and quickly wrap it around your arm.
2-Since attack dogs are trained to bite down on the first part of the body that comes close to it's face, offer out your wrapped arm making sure that your hand is tunred in toward you so that he doesn't grab that.
3-Once the dog has a grip on your arm (let's hope you were wearing leather in the case of a pitbull!) keep pushing forward with that same arm so that the dog feels resistance there only and is not inclined to choose another place to bite and use your index finger and thumb to gouge the *******s eyes out. Stick your thunmb in as far as you can, you will hit a section of the brain (the section they used to take out in a lobotomy) that will cause the dog to lose his motor skills in the jaw.
4- Make sure the dogs owner didn't see you when you take off running, completely grossed out wih what you just did...
/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Cheers!
CT

BrutallyFrank
09-20-2000, 03:47 AM
eech, sorry about all the typos in my last post!
CT

shimera
09-26-2000, 06:07 AM
there are a few things to do here when fighting dogs....
i've dealt with my own so i speak with some intelligence...

1) when the situation arises turn towards the dag and look it in the eyes.. but keep moving away. reason? prey doesn't look at the dog, it runs.
2) if the dog jumps up on you to bite your or which they will usually do, as it is jumping raise your knee up and hit it in the chest hard!!!
3) if for any reason it gets ahold of you, reach down grab it y its snout and pinch its lips between the dogs teeth and your fingers... this will cause great pain! and the dog will allmost instantly let go of your arm keep this hold until you can make sure the dog will not pursue you anymore.
4) in the drastic case that the lip pinching doesn't work. in order to kill the dog try punching it in the throat. or grabbing the throad and choking the dog.

as far as dog kung fu goes.... hehehehe i get to learn it. its part of my training.

Jabe
10-20-2000, 03:58 AM
This is intelligent to ask. How do you defend against a dog? To me it shows a higher level of "fighter" thinking. Look, it doesn't matter what human you fight, if you get into a fight with an animal such as the dog, your train of thought changes dramaticly. Your chances of winning against a human are greater. However, the biggest mistake people make is not fighting a dog more like a human, or better yet, like another dog. The person that said you don't want to grapple a dog, is obviously not a grappeler. The thing that you do want to do is grapple with the dog. If not you should be trying to "HIT" the throat or grab the adams apple with a tiger style grip and try and rip it out. If the dog is lunging up at you (which the pitt bull and rotty will do cause their size being close to the ground) strike downward to the throat. I have been succesful with that! But, by far the best tecnique is to get the dog in a head-lock similar to that in ju-jitsu where the opponits face is to your ass and arch your back. Most of all, the dog is more primal then you so you have to kill or be killed!

Kong Jianshen
10-22-2000, 07:50 PM
I heard Wong Fei Hong was attacked by a big vicious mastiff dog once. He sidestepped its attack and did a backfist/kick combo to its heart and the dog dropped instantly. Mas Oyama used to like to fight BULLS barehanded and always ended the match with the bull dieing. He would strike upon the heart with his most mighty blow and the bulls would also die. Maybe knowing where to hit is key? If attacked by a dog, I would try to stick and move, using the same tactics as if fighting someone with a knife(assuming the dogs teeth are like daggers). I had a friend who used to train Pit Bulls for fighting (I know, its awful) but he used to swear that if u can get control of a dogs neck, u can choke them out. Getting there, is a fight all in itself tho! This is a good topic. Dogs are everywhere, and for those of us who venture into the wilderness wild animals are too.

ALways seeking to learn,
Kong Jianshen
Humble disciple of the ancient Boxing Arts

house of chang
11-15-2000, 08:09 AM
if you're attacked by a pitbull there may not be much you CAN do. they are, after all, the most tenacious dog that walks the planet. and they're not often very big. there is not a dog (nor many other animals) in the world that can match a pitbull. i'm not just saying this 'cause i own one, either; it's fact. if you don't believe me, research it yourself. as for how to fight one off, i wouldn't recommend it. cover that throat and pray...

MELVINS!

dwid
11-15-2000, 11:46 PM
It was just a pup, but it would chase after whoever had the ball if its master was on the opposing team. Anyway, it would lock its jaw on your pant leg and would go limp and let you drag its body down the field. It would have been cute if not for the fact it was like having a steel ball chained to your leg while a bunch of guys were trying to tackle you. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif