Doug
11-20-2003, 05:19 PM
Check out this link for some great information:

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3283

Doug M

T'ai Ji Monkey
11-20-2003, 05:34 PM
Interesting discussion.

I have handled a few Jian myself, this include custom made ones(sharpened) for a style I studied and imported ones from China(more Wushu like).

I think that the tassle is VERY important for the student, as I was taught that the tassle should indicate correct execution of a move.

Doug
11-24-2003, 09:18 PM
On Sword Forum International, this is a point of discussion. Scott Rodell points out that the tassel can play an important role in the use of a jian, one must know how to use the tassel well without focusing in the tassel and ignoring the blade. Practitioners tend to try to use the tassel when they should use the point, cut, and blunt edges to gain advantage.

I believe there are other such discussions on this at the Chinese Sword Forum there. I encourage you to take a look (and take part in conversations if you desire).

Doug M

Doug
12-02-2003, 12:15 PM
Scott Rodell has two DVDs for sale through www.grtc.org that are strongly tied to this book. One is on a seminar in Estonia, and the other is on sword applications of the form in question. Both are great DVDs with great quality.

Go to www.swordforum.com to the Chinese forum for more information.

Doug M