PDA

View Full Version : Mumia on Bush

CaptinPickAxe
11-21-2003, 06:32 PM
Taken from Mumia.Org

BUSH 2:
The worst ever?

By Mumia Abu-Jamal

There is a tendency among the American elite, in the interest of stability, to strive to "play nice" with whichever party is in the nation's capital. You will hear many suggest that it is in the "national interest" to "respect the office" (if not the man), and to "be constructive" if one dares to venture criticism, at all costs.

This is seen as "professional" behavior, and not without coincidence, this "professional manner" protects one's access, and perhaps one's future opportunities as well.

That's why it was striking to read recently of the somewhat blunt criticisms offered by University of California economist George A. Akerlof, a 2001 Nobel Prize laureate. In a recent interview, the Berkeley-based economist offered the following assessment of the presidency of George W. Bush:

"I think this is the worst government the U.S. has ever had in its more than 200 years of history. It has engaged in extraordinarily irresponsible policies not only in foreign and economic but also in social and environmental policy. This is not normal governmental policy. Now is the time for people to engage in civil disobedience." (Dollars and Sense magazine, Sept./Oct. 2003)

Clearly, this isn't the usual stuff one expects from Nobel Prize-winning economists. It is extraordinary. But the essential message from Professor Akerlof was unmistakable: Protest. When asked what kind, he replied: "I don't know yet. But I think it's time to protest--as much as possible."

Millions of Americans, many for the first time in their lives, did just that in the spring, as they tried to make the administration re-think the looming Iraq adventure, but to no avail. The Bush administration, like some hard-hearted Herod, vowed to "shock and awe" the Iraqi state into submission, and delivered almost unprecedented bombing on a major city in recent years. It bombed Baghdad and other major Iraqi cities for days, each bigger than the last. In order to do so, it slapped the UN senseless, and using the prostrate American media, vowed to remake the face of the Middle East.

The bombs have burst. Armies have scattered. A satrap of U.S.-approved and chosen puppets have been seated and given titles that seem to mean they have power. Yet this body, this so-called "Iraqi Governing Council" has less power than the meanest borough in the tiniest burg in America. Power, backed by U.S. military death threats, resides in the Supreme Commander, Paul Bremer, who says what goes and doesn't go in the allegedly "free Iraq." The U.S., which brought its boots, guns and bombs onto Iraqi soil ostensibly to "bring democracy," is none too willing to allow the Iraqis to rule themselves.

The U.S. is both hated and feared worldwide. In the councils of the United Nations it is seen as a rogue elephant, huge, powerful, dangerous and unpredictable. When the U.S. speaks of "freedom," "democracy," and "human rights," many diplomats politely cover their snickers for fear of outraging the elephant, who might--who knows?--announce yet another self-proclaimed "War against Whatever."

In polls throughout Europe, when citizens are asked to name a country that poses the greatest threat to world peace, the U.S. is indeed--number one. Meanwhile, George III manages to threaten and sneer against other nations that threaten his version of "world stability." It is like the elephant threatening the grass for being trampled.

The worst ever? I wonder what some historians might say about that. They might have a better perspective than economists. Yet, with the nation experiencing a "jobless recovery", with over 3 million people fired since March, with over 34 million people living in dire poverty, with a war sucking up billions of dollars in a dangerous economy, with fear stalking the U.S. heart like a lip-smacking lion spying an antelope on the veldt, with over 2 million men, women and children in U.S. prisons, these are not the best of times.

It's time for serious change. If you agree, protest!

Copyright 2003 Mumia Abu-Jamal

To download Mp3's of Mumia's commentaries visit
www.prisonradio.org

Mumia Abu-Jamal is the author of three books:
'Live from Death Row',
'Death Blossoms', and
'All Things Censored'.

Write to Mumia directly at:
Mumia Abu-Jamal AM 8335
SCI-Greene
175 Progress Drive
Waynesburg, PA 15370

I have a feeling this will spark a lot of controversy just because of who wrote it. This man is a genius in my eyes. When I was in Highschool I did a lot of research on Mumia Abu-Jamal, and was shocked by his situation. Yes, it is sad that officer Daniel Faulkner was killed, but injustice is no way to avenge a death. Vengence only spawns more hate.

Kristoffer
11-22-2003, 08:35 AM
Is he still imprisoned?

Kristoffer
11-22-2003, 08:39 AM
..guess so

CaptinPickAxe
11-22-2003, 09:02 AM
Yes

But they recently turned his death sentence into a life sentence.

Kristoffer
11-22-2003, 09:06 AM
I guess that should b viewed as a small victory. Atleast they can't silence him.

CaptinPickAxe
11-22-2003, 01:32 PM
true that

I've been listining to the Mumia show on PrisonRadio.com. And I like what I hear. Have you checked it out yet.

Kristoffer
11-22-2003, 03:43 PM
Yea I did, some very good speeches. I had no idea that he had his own site. I thought he just wrote books...
Thank's for the link, definatly cool stuff

fragbot
11-24-2003, 10:09 AM
Are the Mumidiots who actually think he didn't do it, they've gotta be great fun at parties. Sheesh, at least the Peltier people have an inkling of reason.

And, yeah, I wish they would've executed *just so* they could've shut him up.

Weird world we live in when garden-variety street criminals receive adoration on the public stage.

Kristoffer
11-24-2003, 10:24 AM
lol I was expecting a reply like that sooner or later. There were another one of you here and rolled your eyes, but he seemed to delete his post.

fragbot
11-24-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Kristoffer
lol I was expecting a reply like that sooner or later. There were another one of you here and rolled your eyes, but he seemed to delete his post.

That you haven't had 5 or 6 hundred of them. Wesley Cook is not a man worthy of neither emulation nor adoration. Via his lack of impulse control, he's exhibited himself as a child masquerading as an adult.

Earlier, someone had said an "injustice was done." What? If you really read the transcripts as you said you did, you'd realize a coupla things:

1) it's pretty **** obvious there's nothing approaching reasonable doubt there.
2) he may not have had the best representation or trial in the world. Of course, to complain about this is pure chutzpah since he did a stellar job making himself an impossible and unreasonable client. Furthermore, outbursts in court endear ya to no one and ya ain't gettin' a mistrial for your own behavior.

Making matters mostly worse, his supporters from the convicted perfesser to Lou Grant are barely rational zealots.

Oh, and lest I forget, MOVE and the Africas deserved every bit of attention they received.

CaptinPickAxe
11-24-2003, 01:39 PM
Mumidiots....I like that.

Chances are you are a cop. I tend to get the most flack for being a Mumia supporter from cops. The truth is I have read the transcripts. I have Read eyewittness reports. And I am not blind enough to the world to understand that something went on here.

Usually, I have this argument with policemen. And, respectfully I bow out. The fact that you come on to my thread and the second word you use is slandorous fruther damages your creditablity. Hostility is a sign of ignorance or fear. Which one are you?

I could go on about how Daniel Faulkner's wound was from a .38 caliber gun and Mumia was in possesion of .40 caliber gun at the time of arrest. Or, I could stress the point that there were no tests for gunpowder residue on Mumia's hands. Or why Mumia's brother wasn't a key suspect considering he was the match that started this whole flaming sht pile.

Or I could go into the Police Brutality side of things. Like How a Wounded Mumia was drove around in the back of a paddy wagon for 3 and half hours so he would bleed to death. Or, how while in the hospital Mumia awoke to a police officer stepping on his urine bag.

The fact of the matter is, you don't know **** and I don't know ****. The only people who do is Mumia and Philly PD. But, I do belive something besides the written report went on that night. I just choose not to wear blinders like so many do.

P.S. I'm ready for the flamming, but I wouldn't recomend the tarnishing of ones credibility through slander.

fragbot
11-24-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
Mumidiots....I like that.

Trust me, the shoe fits and they were right not to acquit.

Chances are you are a cop. I tend to get the most flack for being a Mumia supporter from cops. The truth is I have read the transcripts. I have Read eyewittness reports. I have read Testimony transcripts. And I am not blind enough to the world to understand that something went on here.

I'm not a cop. I'm just a former Philadelphia resident who took an interest in the subject.

Usually, I have this argument with policemen. And, respectfully I bow out. But, this time I'm going to go the distance to say you probablly don't know **** about Mumia compared to me, Unless you are an activist or a Philadelphia Police Officer. The fact that you come on to my thread and the second word you use is slandorous fruther damages your creditablity. Hostility is a sign of ignorance or fear. Which one are you?

If you want credibility, let me give you some advice. First, libel requires that I've written something untrue. That Mumia's supporters are dumb as f*** and/or ideologically-retarded is beyond discussion.

Finally, hostility originates from more than fear or ignorance. It might also come from disgust, frustration, and irritation as well.

I could go on about how Daniel Faulkner's wound was from a .38 caliber gun and Mumia was in possesion of .40 caliber gun at the time of arrest. Or, I could stress the point that there were no tests for gunpowder residue on Mumia's hands. Or why Mumia's brother wasn't a key suspect considering he was the match that started this whole flaming sht pile.

If you're going to write propaganda, you need to get your propaganda correct. The correct party line is that he was shot with a .44 not Cook's Charter Arms .38 (as an aside, my father owns a similar weapon as well).

Why weren't his hands tested for nitrates? I'd ask our readership the following questions:

1) Did he struggle when he was arrested?
2) How might a struggle during his arrest affect the validity of this test?

Hmmm, why wasn't his brother a primary suspect? Well, I have no idea whether he was or not. That being said, the hole that Faulkner put in Cook probably had something to do with it.

Or I could go into the Police Brutality side of things. Like How a Wounded Mumia was drove around in the back of a paddy wagon for 3 and half hours so he would bleed to death. Or, how while in the hospital Mumia awoke to a police officer stepping on his urine bag.

I've not heard either one of these. Not that they have any bearing on his guilt or innocence whatsoever. It's cute that you brought them up though.

Sheesh, a cop stepped on his urine bag, boo f*cking hoo. He's lucky his transportation didn't have an accident and land in the Schuykill.

The fact of the matter is, you don't know **** and I don't know ****. The only people who do is Mumia and Philly PD. But, I do belive something besides the written report went on that night. I just choose not to wear blinders like so many do.

We only know what came out in trial. A trial that was as fair as it could've been given the *defendant's* behavior.

There may very well be things that went on that aren't in the report. So what, that's always the case. It only matters if they're exculpatory.

Weinglass et al have had *years* to poke holes in the prosecution's case. Beyond a technicality during sentencing, they've come up dry. Various authors (notably the guy from Vanity Fair) started out trying to support Cook's attorneys claims and they've come to the *opposite* conclusion.

P.S. I'm ready for the flamming, but I wouldn't recomend the tarnishing of ones credibility through slander.

Again, show me where I wrote something untrue. Please be specific.

If you'd like some more advice, here's a question for ya and explains a good part of why your message only resonates among the people who rant about Cointelpro. Assuming (irrationally) that Cook didn't kill Faulkner:

what motive would the Philadelphia PD have for framing him?

Believe me, Cook's status as a internationally-known hack wasn't all that.

Stranger
11-24-2003, 03:06 PM
I posted the rolling eyes, but then I thought, "Why bother?" and deleted it. Since you made a point to mention it, I'll stand up and say I think Mumia is guilty. I think the fact that his own defense team isn't argueing his innocence nor is Mumia repentant stands as enough for me not to want to honor him. The only grievance he has is that his trial may not have been fair, not that he didn't shoot down a cop without good reason.

I don't hate Mumia for his politics, in fact I could care less.

I think that what he did was wrong. I think that even when I hear the more pro-Mumia versions of the story, he is still wrong.

If that offends anybody, what can I say. I am no racist. I just call them like I see them based on what I know. Now if somebody presents some new bit of information that warrants me reversing my opinion, than I am big enough to do so.

CaptinPickAxe
11-24-2003, 03:12 PM
That Mumia's supporters are dumb as f*** and/or ideologically-retarded is beyond discussion

Thats the way to prove my blinders point, son. How am I supposed to have a friendly debate when you choose to have biased views. I could call you ***bot, but "Mumidiots" are civil.

what motive would the Philadelphia PD have for framing him?

Its been proven that Philadelphia has one of the most corrupt and racist law enforcement establishment in all of America.

The correct party line is that he was shot with a .44 not Cook's Charter Arms .38 (as an aside, my father owns a similar weapon as well).

thanks for proving one of my points. Where was the firearm that shot officer Faulkner?

1) Did he struggle when he was arrested?

Yes, because he got into a scuffle with a police officer and was shot. Would you rather go to the hospital to tend to your wounds or go to jail and let them fester.

And my police brutality point may be "cute" but it helps prove my point that PPD is racist and had the intention to kill Mumia. How can you have a trial with out a culprit? a motive? maybe.

Now, if you wish to continue this debate. Start talking to me with respect. I have a view on particular subject. Just because my view differs from yours doesn't make me an idiot. Thats saying the same thing as "If your not a christian your going to hell".

Ignorance

Blinders

fragbot
11-24-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
Thats the way to prove my blinders point, son. How am I supposed to have a friendly debate when you choose to have biased views. I could call you ***bot, but "Mumidiots" are civil.

Pretty much everytime they open their mouth.

You assume I've never tried to look at this from the POV of the "racist pigs" crew. I have and it still doesn't work.

Mumidiots are civil? I honestly have no idea what planet you live on, but the people who find racism/sexism/etc. under a rock people are seldom civil and barely reasonable. They far too often personify the man who only owns a hammer.

Much like Tom Metzger and his followers, they're a small and quite vocal group that could care less about the accuracy of their statements.

Its been proven that Philadelphia has one of the most corrupt and racist law enforcement establishment in all of America.

It's also been proven that MOVE was a sh*tty, dangerous and intimidating neighbor. Of course, this observation has as much to do with Cook's case as yours does--not a **** thing.

thanks for proving one of my points. Where was the firearm that shot officer Faulkner?

Ahh, it's big of you to admit your original assertion--Cook was carrying a .40 calibre--was incorrect. It's disingenuous of you that, when provided with the correct "party line," refer to that in your defense.

In that spirit of cooperation, I'm happy to oblige. Faulkner was shot with Cook's Charter Arms .38.

Yes, because he got into a scuffle with a police officer and was shot. Would you rather go to the hospital to tend to your wounds or go to jail and let them fester.

What does this have to do with anything?

He wasn't given a test for powder residue *because* he'd scuffled with the cops who'd arrested him. This scuffle contaminated him and renders the test invalid. NOTE to our critical thinking reader: if you think it's ironic that the Mumidiots complain about this, your head's in the right place since this benefits Cook much more than it does the police.

And my police brutality point may be "cute" but it helps prove my point that PPD is racist and had the intention to kill Mumia. How can you have a trial with out a culprit? a motive? maybe.

If you'd like to be convincing, you need to come up with far more than that. Is the Philadelphia PD racist? Somewhat (though never to the extent activists portray), particularly so under Rizzo. Does this have *a single thing* to do with Cook? Nope. He "wasn't even on the radar" as a critic of the Philadelphia police.

You are correct about one thing--Daniel Faulkner did intend to kill Cook. Not that it helps your case an iota.

Now, if you wish to continue this debate. Start talking to me with respect. I have a view on particular subject. Just because my view differs from yours doesn't make me an idiot. Thats saying the same thing as "If your not a christian your going to hell".

Not all viewpoints deserve respect. While I respect those who support Cook simply because they oppose the death penalty, I don't respect those who've looked at the evidence and have deluded themselves into thinking he was framed.

A question for you: why do you think Cook's assertions don't resonate with the American public?

A hint: it ain't because the American public's stupid.