PDA

View Full Version : England, Champions Of The World !!!!

Internal Boxer
11-24-2003, 05:05 AM
We are World Rugby Champs, well done lads, any ozzies here please feel free to cry in your beer, got you arses kicked in your own back yard by a bunch of poms, ha ha.:cool: :cool:

scotty1
11-24-2003, 05:22 AM
:D

l@zylee
11-24-2003, 05:23 AM
Nice one Internal Boxer yep we are actually good at something, no aussie replies yet I see.

:D :D

Vash
11-24-2003, 05:43 AM
your Prime Minister is still the prison-b!tch of our dumb@$$ president ;)

l@zylee
11-24-2003, 06:38 AM
Yes Vash I fully agree but at least we won a World Competition that has teams other than ourselves taking part in it...............................World Series! please.............

bodhitree
11-24-2003, 07:20 AM
Champions at rugby? Theres actually other people that play rugby?

Souljah
11-24-2003, 08:18 AM
Champions at rugby? Theres actually other people that play rugby?

In your secluded world of American Sports it may not be apparent but rugby is one of the biggest sports on the planet. Not Bashing but its true...

Well done to the team but you won't find any national pride here.

Liokault
11-24-2003, 11:16 AM
Anyone notice that rugby is VERY similar to American football?

My theory is that the yanks couldnt compete with the rest of the world at rugby so called it somthing else and pretended that it was differant and that other people played this so called "football".

Just you watch. Next they will change the name of steel making (cant compete at that either on a world scale) then ban every import of anything called steel!!!

CrippledAvenger
11-24-2003, 11:21 AM
Rugby is a fantastic game. I really miss playing it, but one titanium plate in my ankle is enough for me, thanks.

Glad to see someone besides the Ozzies or Kiwis win for once though.

norther practitioner
11-24-2003, 11:22 AM
World Series! please.............

geography 101...
Toronto is in Canada...oh and so is Montreal.

They play baseball in other countries... but they come here to play in the majors.:rolleyes:

Cricket, now there's a game :rolleyes:

Kristoffer
11-24-2003, 12:16 PM
cordinated curling beats all

Internal Boxer
11-24-2003, 12:28 PM
Why call it a World series, surely that is just not glam enough I would have thought you would claim it a Universal series.--- shakes head----- Canada hmmmm yes, that really is the other side of the world if you are a Yank. Just having your next door country competing does not make a world series mate. Thats like saying english and welsh club teams competing in the same league and claiming it to be a 'World Series'. :D .

Anyway they do play base ball in the UK but it is called rounders and its a school girls game. As for cricket that has to be one of the most boring sports on earth, it makes american sports almost watchable!! ;)

MasterKiller
11-24-2003, 12:38 PM
In your secluded world of American Sports it may not be apparent but rugby is one of the biggest sports on the planet. We have rugby in America, but we call it "retards trying to play football."

UK MONK
11-24-2003, 02:37 PM
that was a nail bighting finish:eek: but jonny wilkinson scored that drop goal in the last 20 seconds. Man that was just like in the movies.

P.S

master killer do you know what we call american footballers?

we call them P**fs that have to wear armour so they dont get hurt
:D :rolleyes:

CaptinPickAxe
11-24-2003, 02:49 PM
You limeys are mad because you don't have a basketball team, right? Well, I'm from San Antonio, the home of the half-asses who won the championship.

Ashez
11-24-2003, 05:19 PM
Johnny Wilkinson makes my Day , Rugby is so awesome when New Zealand Loses

Serpent
11-24-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
We have rugby in America, but we call it "retards trying to play football."

You do realise that the US fielded a team for the rugby World Cup, right? They even qualified for the pool matches and then got their arses spanked by the rest of the world, not even coming close to the quarter finals.

Of course, I can understand you not wanting to know about that.

And as for it's global appeal, the Rugby World Cup is the third largest sporting event on the planet after the Olympics and then the Soccer World Cup.

Ah well, at least you Yanks will always be World Champions of arrogance. No one can come close to you in that endeavour.

Vash
11-24-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
Ah well, at least you Yanks will always be World Champions of arrogance. No one can come close to you in that endeavour.

Dang Straight!

*unzips pants* **admires freakishly long pen1s** ***laughs at rest of world***

cerebus
11-25-2003, 02:22 AM
ROFLMAO @ Vash! Heh, heh, Yeah! I mean, ya' know why we created American football, right? Basically, for us, Rugby just ain't violent enough :D (well, the game that is. You Brits might be close to us when it comes to violent FANS at games though :p ). More people get messed up in the stands and the parking lots after Rugby games than ever get hurt on the field. T.

l@zylee
11-25-2003, 02:36 AM
ROFLMAO @ Vash! Heh, heh, Yeah! I mean, ya' know why we created American football, right? Basically, for us, Rugby just ain't violent enough

erm hold on a minute who wears pads and helmets! bunch of pussies! lol!

cerebus
11-25-2003, 03:09 AM
Erm, hold on a minute. Whose sport is so violent and dangerous they NEED those pads & helmets just to avoid numerous deaths with each game (& still end up with serious injuries and occasional deaths anyway)? You guys just don't know what hard contact is. :p

l@zylee
11-25-2003, 03:22 AM
ok then whatever Mr Rabbit, but seriously then what does American Football involve tackling wise that Rugby doesn't. If you watch a game of American Football and a game of Rugby they look pretty much the same, only one of them wear big shoulder pads and helmets and the other doesn't. American Footballers look like Robots man! way over the top but hold on a minute thats you Yanks all over isn't it.

:D ;) ;) :D

cerebus
11-25-2003, 03:31 AM
Heh, heh. Tackling is one thing, but when they yell "hike" on the scrimmage line anyone without pads & a helmet will be spilling their brains on the turf. Also, our football players tend to be a wee bit larger than the average rugby player.

l@zylee
11-25-2003, 03:42 AM
Also, our football players tend to be a wee bit larger than the average rugby player.

Yes with their shoulder pads on.

cerebus
11-25-2003, 04:08 AM
How many rugby players weigh between 250 and 300+ pounds? (sorry, don't know how many "stone" that is)

l@zylee
11-25-2003, 04:48 AM
Well not many because they have rather strict low fat diets being sportsman and all. I'm sure if they took on the american football diet of Hamburgers and Fries twice then there would be loads.

:D :)

cerebus
11-25-2003, 04:58 AM
Actually, when it comes to pro ball players, that kind of eating isn't usually so popular. Though they tend to do other unhealthy stuff, like steroids. Not all of them need to though. Some of those dudes were just born to be BIG.

Liokault
11-25-2003, 05:04 AM
How many rugby players weigh between 250 and 300+ pounds? (sorry, don't know how many "stone" that is)

17-21 stone.

You are just substituting size for skill, how very american.

cerebus
11-25-2003, 05:11 AM
Ha ha! Some American appears to have peed in Liokault's beer :p ! I'm actually not SUBSTITUTING anything for anything else. I was just discussing the fact that most American football players are bigger than most British Rugby players and, therefore, having more mass gives them the ability to tackle harder. Have big Americans been beating you up recently? That would help to explain your apparent hostility, heh, heh, heh. Sorry buddy, I'll go ahead & apologize for that. My countrymen tend to be a rough & rowdy bunch at times :D .
PS: I've noticed that Liokault is too embarassed about whichever country he's from to even list it on his profile (but I'll bet we can guess, can't we? Wink, wink :p ).

Liokault
11-25-2003, 05:29 AM
Have big Americans been beating you up recently?

LOL the last big american I met was at class. He didnt want to use a full face head guard when we sparred (he told us he was a champ in some kind of kick boxing and as he had 4 inches in height and 20 pounds in weight we thought he would be ok). He nearly started crying when I broke his nose in the first 10 seconds!

Right after that he moved to jordan on some kind of bible study program.

Morel on my story:

Big american = *****

Now with your rugby player its differant. First off they have had their noses broken so many times that theres no longer any bone to brake! same with the teeth....most have none!
I also seem to think that they LIKE being punched in the face. Kind of scary guys altogether.

anton
11-25-2003, 05:38 AM
We have rugby in America, but we call it "retards trying to play football."

At my primary school there was a kid called Joey. Joey had Down Syndrome. Joey tried desperately to play the sports that all the other kids played, but even though he was pretty strong, poor Joey just couldn't compete with the other children no matter how hard he tried. So one day Joey's mom told him to make up his own "special" sports... sports that only he would be good at. And Joey did just that. He would spend all of recess wacking that golf-ball against the wall with a fence picket... smiling to himself, God bless his simple soul. With a great big grin on his face, he would boast to all of us that he was better than all of us at "picket-ball"... We would just smile and tell him that "we knew".

The End...

What were we talking about again?

CFT
11-25-2003, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by cerebus
ROFLMAO @ Vash! Heh, heh, Yeah! I mean, ya' know why we created American football, right? Basically, for us, Rugby just ain't violent enough :D (well, the game that is. You Brits might be close to us when it comes to violent FANS at games though :p ). More people get messed up in the stands and the parking lots after Rugby games than ever get hurt on the field. T. Just stop showing off your ignorance!! It is English soccer that has problems with the violent fans; rugby has always left the "violence" on the playing field.

cerebus
11-25-2003, 05:53 AM
I think it was something about Liokault hating Americans because some bible-study geek ****ed him off :p . Of course, if I were to be enough of a bigot to generalize all British people by some of the ones I've met I'D be talking crap about THEM as well. However, since I know better than to do so, and have met enough Brits to have met some good people among them, I can realize that not all of them are like Liokault (thankfully for them ;) ). Besides, the last time they tried to mess with us (War of Independence) we kicked their butts (and there were far fewer of us then) and they've been smart enough not to try it again :D .

cerebus
11-25-2003, 05:55 AM
CFT, right you are. Apologies for the error (football/ football, easy mistake to make :D ).

Liokault
11-25-2003, 06:10 AM
I can realize that not all of them are like Liokault (thankfully for them ). Besides, the last time they tried to mess with us (War of Independence) we kicked their butts (and there were far fewer of us then) and they've been smart enough not to try it again .

The odd thing was that then the french were on your side LOL, so it was not like we were fighting the americans it was more that we were fighting every body else (i.e people who mattered) and the yanks took advantage of our distraction!

The other odd thing is that if you look at how many colonies we had and how many used reasonable diplomacy and argument instead of brute force to get self government, you will see that americas first response of just attacking every thing with no real thought started way back.

anton
11-25-2003, 06:20 AM
It appears no-one liked my heart-warming tale about the triumph of the human spirit. :o

cerebus
11-25-2003, 06:21 AM
Aaaah, okay. So that's how it REALLY happened. Funny how I had this weird idea that British troops were sent over here to keep the colonies under British control with military might. Yeah, America attacked Britain (how many boatloads of soldiers did we invade YOUR homeland with? Heh, heh, heh :p ). Oh well, since Liokault has established that America is just a bunch of ignorant brutes, I guess that settles the whole argument. I lose, all Americans are inferior to all Brits, send the Redcoats on over to take back the colonies :rolleyes: .

cerebus
11-25-2003, 06:30 AM
Hey, it just occured to me that there actually have been some cool things to come out of Britain in recent years though. Other than the BEST thing to ever come from Britain (the USA), they've also produced the Mini Cooper & Benny Hill, and let's not forget Austin Powers!("Yeah Baby!"):D

Liokault
11-25-2003, 06:44 AM
Aaaah, okay. So that's how it REALLY happened. Funny how I had this weird idea that British troops were sent over here to keep the colonies under British control with military might. Yeah, America attacked Britain (how many boatloads of soldiers did we invade YOUR homeland with? Heh, heh, heh ). Oh well, since Liokault has established that America is just a bunch of ignorant brutes, I guess that settles the whole argument. I lose, all Americans are inferior to all Brits, send the Redcoats on over to take back the colonies .

Did you really read what I posted?

cerebus
11-25-2003, 06:51 AM
"america's (with a small "a" I noticed) first response of just attacking everything with no real thought started way back."

Liokault
11-25-2003, 07:07 AM
Hey anton,

Your heart warming story about little Joey was great! How long were you at school with cerebus?

cerebus
11-25-2003, 07:12 AM
"liokault's first response of just attacking everything with no real thought started way back.":p :p :p

cerebus
11-25-2003, 07:23 AM
Yo, liokault, say "Oh, Behave!" for me :p :p .

cerebus
11-25-2003, 07:35 AM
Hey, and what IS the deal with the Prince Charles Buggery Scandal? LOL:p

kwaichang kaned
11-25-2003, 07:41 AM
There's no scandal!!!!

Apparently they went to public school together and were just catching up.

For an "old boy " thats the equivalent of a handshake

cerebus
11-25-2003, 07:44 AM
ROFLMAO!! Oh man, I guess being the ignorant American barbarian that I am I'm not up on the social niceties of the "civilized class" :p heh, heh.

Internal Boxer
11-25-2003, 07:46 AM
The newspapers say he was stuffing a young servant by the name of Cerebus. ;)

MasterKiller
11-25-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by UK MONK
master killer do you know what we call american footballers?

we call them P**fs that have to wear armour so they dont get hurt
:D :rolleyes: I suppose you guys call boxers the same thing because they wear gloves? Why don't you go challenge Mike Tyson to a bare-knuckler, tough guy? I'm sure he's not very tough...afterall, he has to wear gloves to protect his hands when he fights. :rolleyes:

The pads protect you, but they also allow you to hit harder than you normally could. Add to that fact that a 325-lb NFL line backer can usually run a 4.4 second 40-yard-sprint, and your puny little 150-lb soccer-playing "tough guys" would be in a coma after one semi-solid hit.

There is one Rugby player who is tough enough to play in the NFL. The punter for the San Diego chargers. Boy, he sure can kick. Wonder why he isn't making millions of dollars running the ball since he's so tough and wearing armor to boot?

Internal Boxer
11-25-2003, 07:54 AM
We are talking about 15-19 stone Rugby players you plonker rodney.

Boxing ain't a relevant comparison.

American footie players are just pussies period the rest of the world knows it except you mugs:rolleyes:

kwaichang kaned
11-25-2003, 07:57 AM
Whilst i was prepared to side with you guys on the subject of rugby
(I seriously have doubts about any man that would willingly spend a wet sunday afternoon with his head that near another mans genitals)
DO NOT belittle football (and its FOOTBALL right! on account of that being the appendage most used to strike the ball)

It is a game of beauty and skill.

And whilst 40yrds in 4.4secs is quite impressive. Can they do it whilst controling a ball with their feet?

BAI HE
11-25-2003, 08:00 AM
Liokault-

How does it feel to be a boot-licking lackey of
a nation of ignorant brutes?

Look at your plumbing and your food. And you call us savages?

Internal Boxer
11-25-2003, 08:01 AM
FAO KWAI

I do actually love watching a good footie (english) match, but you have to admit they are a bunch of soft arsed pussies, everytime they get a slight knock they roll around like they have just been shot. getting serious battering in Rugby is just a normal day at the office.

MasterKiller
11-25-2003, 08:04 AM
American footie players are just pussies period the rest of the world knows it except you mugs. You keep telling yourself that...I'm sure it helps pass the time between German invasions.

kwaichang kaned
11-25-2003, 08:06 AM
Whilst they do go down like a sack of **** .How many times do they actually dive to get the advantage?

Doesn't mean they can't take a hit.It's just there is no advantage in faking injury in a rugby game.

I guess what im saying is that FOOTBALL players ain't pussies

They are cheats!!

Internal Boxer
11-25-2003, 08:06 AM
Germany never invaded England, but I suppose your american text books reckon they did, and you single handed won the war according to hollywood anyway. I suppose Vietnam was a success, got your asses whipped by an ill equipped bunch of villagers, ha ha,

BAI HE
11-25-2003, 08:12 AM
What's sad is you chaps used to be somebody.
The Sun has in fact set on your Empire.

The United States is the new Rome.
You are a small dog on a leash which we pull from
time to time. Don't ever forget that Buggers.

BAI HE
11-25-2003, 08:13 AM
IB -
Funny like watching the Argentines sink one of Her Majestie's
big ol' boats! The ****ing Argentines... LOFL!

Internal Boxer
11-25-2003, 08:15 AM
Kwai,

Mate they obviously dive to get a free kick or get the other guy booked, but seriously mate they are pussies, I have played mainly Rugby and occasionally football and I have to say the difference in ability of players to take knocks is major, football players just cannot take the knocks, and throw tantrums when they do, I have had plenty of fights on a rugby field where such altercations are shrugged off as no big deal, football players are generally pretty highly strung and easily wound up pre-madonna's. I love football bud, but you have to admit they are mardy-arsed.

scotty1
11-25-2003, 08:17 AM
"You keep telling yourself that...I'm sure it helps pass the time between German invasions."

Never happened.

"How does it feel to be a boot-licking lackey of
a nation of ignorant brutes?"

Well they do say we're the 51st state I suppose.

kwaichang kaned
11-25-2003, 08:26 AM
Point taken !

As a matter of fact i wish our national football side showed as much passion,commitment and proffesionalism as the rugby side.

It's just......well i can't get over the association with the upper classes.
It may be different up north but down here its all horsed faced,ruddy cheeked ,"RAA RAA! SMASH THE OIKS" Jumpers draped over shoulders .boating shoes.
I mean the england supporter poster boy at the moment is Prince Harry.Nuff Said

BAI HE ,Your right America is the new Roman Empire.
They had a thing for overindulgance and ****sexuality as well!

BAI HE
11-25-2003, 08:33 AM
****sexuality?

Who is the real Queen of England?
Elton John.

You can keep your George Michael, Boy George and the rest of your buggers. mate. Enjoy your tea and biscuits!

kwaichang kaned
11-25-2003, 08:38 AM
enjoy your tea and biscuits

We Will !
And no Battenberg for you either!!!!

Uncouth colonials.

Liokault
11-25-2003, 08:43 AM
What's sad is you chaps used to be somebody.

The United States is the new Rome.
You are a small dog on a leash which we pull from
time to time. Don't ever forget that Buggers.

But empires full. The British empire did not fall violently (apart from a few cases) but was mostly alowed to self govern at a time that was concidered right for the individual country. Just look at how close the common wealth is.

Not only will the american empire fall, but it will fall in flames as this is all you guys know. I can see it now! I mean why the hell are you giving 1 billion RED Chinese all your jobs and most of your technology? What do you think they will do when they pass you by and become the new power?

BAI HE
11-25-2003, 08:45 AM
Teach me Tai Chi?

I do hope they torture David Carradine!

MasterKiller
11-25-2003, 08:46 AM
What do you think they will do when they pass you by and become the new power? Conquer Europe.

Liokault
11-25-2003, 08:47 AM
Look at your plumbing and your food. And you call us savages?

Whats wrong with the plumning in the UK?

kwaichang kaned
11-25-2003, 08:50 AM
I bet it has something to do with "mixer" taps

scotty1
11-25-2003, 08:55 AM
"What's sad is you chaps used to be somebody.
The Sun has in fact set on your Empire.

The United States is the new Rome."

Yeah we figured out that kind of behaviour's pretty antisocial and causes a few problems in the long run.

But people don't learn from others' mistakes eh? :)

l@zylee
11-25-2003, 09:38 AM
You keep telling yourself that...I'm sure it helps pass the time between German invasions.

What the f**k? the Yanks lack of intelligence never ceases to amaze me!

And when you fire your nuclear weapons towards N.Korea please be careful they don't drop on the UK on the way, I know we are nowhere near but........:D

scotty1
11-25-2003, 10:14 AM
accidents do happen, and most of them in the home.:)

Salacious Crumb
11-25-2003, 02:37 PM
Maybe a good nuke would mutate your genes enough to create a future race of English people with straight, white teeth.

I suppose Vietnam was a success, got your asses whipped by an ill equipped bunch of villagers, ha ha,**cough**India**cough**

norther practitioner
11-25-2003, 03:05 PM
Hey, do you English guys speek German...

You're welcome

Liokault
11-25-2003, 03:28 PM
Well to me at least its sounding like closer ties with Germany would be quite nice, at least nicer than becoming more like america.

norther practitioner
11-25-2003, 03:34 PM
:rolleyes: You do it every day....

I was joking anyway...

anton
11-25-2003, 03:55 PM
I suppose you guys call boxers the same thing because they wear gloves? Why don't you go challenge Mike Tyson to a bare-knuckler, tough guy? I'm sure he's not very tough...afterall, he has to wear gloves to protect his hands when he fights. :rolleyes:

The pads protect you, but they also allow you to hit harder than you normally could. Add to that fact that a 325-lb NFL line backer can usually run a 4.4 second 40-yard-sprint, and your puny little 150-lb soccer-playing "tough guys" would be in a coma after one semi-solid hit.

There is one Rugby player who is tough enough to play in the NFL. The punter for the San Diego chargers. Boy, he sure can kick. Wonder why he isn't making millions of dollars running the ball since he's so tough and wearing armor to boot?

I know, I know... you're the best at your "football" Joey, er.. I mean MK. I'm sure you guys are the best at "baseball" and "basketball" too.

norther practitioner
11-25-2003, 05:12 PM
I know, I know... you're the best at your "football" Joey, er.. I mean MK. I'm sure you guys are the best at "baseball" and "basketball" too.

Now that you mention it....

anton
11-25-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by norther practitioner

Now that you mention it....

It's true. Don't let it get to you when the other boys make fun of you for not being good the sports everyone else plays... You guys are "special" in your own way, hey maybe you could invent yet another "special" sport that only you can be the best at... or better yet, check out "picket ball". I'm sure if you track down Joey he'll be glad to teach you the rules... and he can certainly testify to how good it is to be "the best in the world at picket-ball".

:D ;)

BAI HE
11-25-2003, 06:25 PM
Is "Cricket" better than baseball? I don't see the Japanese playing "Cricket". Is there a "Cricket" Bugger born who can hit a 90 mph slider? Didn't think so. Boxing? Thank God for Lennox mate.

You don't even have the best sport on your own Island No. 51!
Hurling is so far superior to your "Football" or "Rugby".

And that is the truth Ruth. We'll give you thumbs up for Sheakspeare and other notables, but sportives? Smoke another Crumpet.

Yes, we are uncouth and uncivilized but we are a Super-Power with superior weapons and hygiene. You? History, stuffery and hot air. The future is ours...

anton
11-25-2003, 07:02 PM
The point is that despite our comparatively tiny population we are also good at team sports that we did not invent. Japan is good at baseball, and good on 'em for trying and succeeding at a foreign sport. Instead of just sayin "this sucks" when they realised they can't play, and going off to invent their own.

Toby
11-25-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by BAI HE
Is "Cricket" better than baseball? I don't see the Japanese playing "Cricket". Is there a "Cricket" Bugger born who can hit a 90 mph slider? Didn't think so.

Shoaib Akhtar from Pakistan has hit 100mph. Quite a lot of international bowlers reach 90mph.

Who cares if the Japanese play cricket? Many other countries do. Australia, England, South Africa, India, Pakistan, New Zealand, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka, Kenya, etc.

BAI HE
11-25-2003, 08:20 PM
"Australia, England, South Africa, India, Pakistan, New Zealand, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka, Kenya, etc."

Wow you rattled off a few insignificant ****holes in one sentence.

These ****holes are all "appetizers" in the new world order, get some power bloke. Now be a good "colony" and do as we say.

SPORTS?
Clearly a bunch of rabble and savages clinging to sissy sports that their inferior forefathers passed down. For Christ's sake
we have Irish in the NHL and Japanese and Aussies in MLB., SO
Stand up you rotten mouth buggers of the "Empire"
Good Christ, do represent!

Is anyone from NFL Europe actually European?

Buggers...

Toby
11-25-2003, 08:56 PM
Your post just demonstrates the supreme arrogance of some Americans. So a sport isn't valid unless a powerful nation plays it? FYI, some of these "insignificant ****holes" are actually very good at cricket. But regardless of what the sport is, full credit for them for struggling against the odds to be some of the best at their sport in the world. Example of "insignificant ****holes" doing well in sport? Fiji vs USA in the rugby world cup.

I feel bad for my American friends and relatives-in-law when I see attitudes like some of those I read here :mad:.

anton
11-25-2003, 11:14 PM
Clearly a bunch of rabble and savages clinging to sissy sports
In your previous post u implied that baseball was superior because of the speed of the ball.. Toby showed that a batsman in cricket can reach a higher speed, therefore your baseball is a sissier sport by your own standards.

that their inferior forefathers passed down.
Inferior to whom? To your forefathers? In what way praytell

Good Christ, do represent!
We do... the rest of the world... A world the US seems less and less keen to be a part of.

It's OK... you don't have to justify yourself to the rest of the world for being the only major country that can't play any world games. You don't need to play with the others you're "special" on your own, playing your own "special" sports... Just like good old Joey :D

Don't worry Tobes it's all in good jest... (besides your morals are lost on these arrogant thugs ;) :D )

cerebus
11-26-2003, 12:31 AM
Heh, heh! The funny thing is, this conversation was quite friendly & good natured until a Brit (Liokault) decided to start talking crap about Americans. Of course, once any Americans stick up for their country, the Brits lose any semblance of manners and revert to their "you suck because you're Americans" refrain. Oh well, Brits have been predicting the fall of the U.S. since we first booted them out of the colonies so they can just keep trying to convince themselves that it'll happen ;) . For my part, I wish you all (even the rude Brits) a safe and happy Thanksgiving (yeah, I know Brits don't celebrate it, but all the same...). Peace.

l@zylee
11-26-2003, 02:03 AM
Thank you Cerebus. I wish we did celebrate it we need more holidays over here!. In all honesty as much as we like the banter, I think all us "Brits" would agree that we value our two countries special relationship and I would much rather be on the side of the Yank than anyone else.

Merry Christmas!

Lee:D :D :D :D

cerebus
11-26-2003, 02:08 AM
Merry Christmas Lee!:p

Internal Boxer
11-26-2003, 06:21 AM
Happy thanksgiving to all you marvellous master race americans, after all anyone outside US border is just sub-human scum, I bow to your dominance oh great ones.

BAI HE
11-26-2003, 06:50 AM
God I love you guys. Toby go easy, I am just pulling your leg mate. Poor England, they win a major championship and
us "colonists" start kicking them in the knickers! Awful!

Enjoy your victory boys. Hoist those pints!

Vash
11-26-2003, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Internal Boxer
Happy thanksgiving to all you marvellous master race americans, after all anyone outside US border is just sub-human scum, I bow to your dominance oh great ones.

Someone finally understands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MasterKiller
11-26-2003, 09:18 AM
Happy thanksgiving to all you marvellous master race americans, after all anyone outside US border is just sub-human scum, I bow to your dominance oh great ones. Na, our GIs pumped enough American sperm into your women during WWI and WWII that you guys are pretty cool now. In fact, we probably have the same grandpa. ;)

joedoe
11-26-2003, 05:11 PM
First things first - congratulations to the poms. The best team won, and your rugby team deserves to be world champions.

As for the argument about american football v. rugby. A colleague of mine has played both games and he assures me that rugby is the harder game, not to mention that it requires a level of fitness several orders of magnitude greater than american football.

Maybe Australians should start calling the AFL competition the AFL World Series :D

Toby
11-26-2003, 07:02 PM
God I love you guys. Toby go easy, I am just pulling your leg mate. Poor England, they win a major championship and
us "colonists" start kicking them in the knickers! Awful!

Enjoy your victory boys. Hoist those pints! I don't really care what you say about England. I'm an Aussie, so I'm pretty ****ed off about the rugby. Go as hard on England as you like. Just leave the rest of the world out of it.

joedoe, I'm not surprised your colleague says rugby's harder fitness-wise. 2 continuous 40min halves vs 4 stop-start periods with up to 6 timeouts per half plus breaks between periods. It's not just gridiron, a lot of American sport seems to suffer from excessive timeouts. I guess they just need to catch their breath. What about NHL? 6 players on the rink and 14 players waiting on the bench. That's like an AFL team with 42 players on the bench!!!

joedoe
11-26-2003, 07:36 PM
I have spent many hours discussing the two games with my colleague and it has yielded a lot of insights into American football.

One key difference he mentioned is that American footballers tend to lead with the head when they tackle, because they have all the protective gear whereas in rugby you lead with the shoulder/chest. Apparently this is a big problem for coaches in the US when they are coaching players who have a background in American football.

Another interesting point is the difference in the tackle rule and the 'point' of the tackle. In American football, you want to stop the forward motion, and the tackle is completed when the ball carrier's knees touch the ground. There is no need to drive the ball carrier backwards. In rugby, territory is the name of the game so if possible you want to drive the ball carrier backwards so the tackles are more often head on clashes.

And if you think the impact from a line of scrimmage is heavy - ever watched a scrum pack down? ;)

Volcano Admim
11-26-2003, 07:58 PM
brazil is best on real football

Serpent
11-26-2003, 10:14 PM
Ah, this turned into a very funny thread.

shaolin kungfu
11-26-2003, 10:40 PM
colleague of mine has played both games and he assures me that rugby is the harder game, not to mention that it requires a level of fitness several orders of magnitude greater than american football.

maybe thats why american football players can have 300 pounds of fat hanging off them, while rugby players are generally thin and able to lift themselves off the couch.

BTW soccer takes more skill than them all.

anton
11-26-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by shaolin kungfu
BTW soccer takes more skill than them all.
Correct

Miles Teg
11-27-2003, 12:54 AM
Congradulations English

...........but come on, the last time you guys won was 1966. I wasnt even born then.

Actuall I almost got my head smacked in at a Tokyo bar for saying that.

l@zylee
11-27-2003, 01:48 AM
Na, our GIs pumped enough American sperm into your women during WWI and WWII that you guys are pretty cool now. In fact, we probably have the same grandpa

LOL! @ MasterKiller but apparently it was mainly Canadians around my area during the war. You know who, those intelligent Americans to your North.

Mr Punch
11-27-2003, 02:27 AM
Cmon boys, we all know that you guys fire blanks. Those ladies were just breaking themselves in with something small. :D That's when you ***gots weren't just indulging in 'friendly fire' on each other's behinds, or running over to miss your landings in a hail of leaden death at d-day... :p

And you know you're just the same as us really, except you're descended from our freaks and losers and fundamentalists and paranoics and cowards and snakes-in-the-grass and traitors... and shall I stop...?!!!:D The same, that is except that you don't play any world sports... not without drugs anyway.

Sorry, just thought this thread was getting too cool and needed an injection of Bushian diplomacy... :rolleyes:

Miles! You didn't say you were in Tokyo... we have a squad of eager WCers always happy to play with new hands...!

Internal Boxer
11-27-2003, 05:00 AM
Mat LMAO :D

l@zylee
11-27-2003, 05:31 AM
or running over to miss your landings in a hail of leaden death at d-day..

:eek: :eek: thats a bit below the belt me thinks

Ben Gash
11-27-2003, 05:50 AM
"Aaaah, okay. So that's how it REALLY happened. Funny how I had this weird idea that British troops were sent over here to keep the colonies under British control with military might. Yeah, America attacked Britain (how many boatloads of soldiers did we invade YOUR homeland with? Heh, heh, heh ). Oh well, since Liokault has established that America is just a bunch of ignorant brutes, I guess that settles the whole argument. I lose, all Americans are inferior to all Brits, send the Redcoats on over to take back the colonies ."
History is written by the winners
:rolleyes:
I wish Americans would learn their own history. The majority of the "British" combatants were Americans. Indeed, revolutionaries only actually won 2 battles against British regulars in the entire war. Other "British" combatants were the free blacks in the south, who were ruthlessly eradicated (think of that next time you get all proud about the war). The British regulars were a long way from home with their supply lines being routinely disrupted by the French and Spanish navy.
Try reading a book instead of basing your national identity on "The Patriot".

l@zylee
11-27-2003, 06:52 AM
Very well said Ben Gash!:)

Mr Punch
11-27-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by l@zylee

:eek: :eek: thats a bit below the belt me thinks My arse... is a bit below the belt... I wasn't trying to tell anyone how many times we saved the world, or how many women we knocked up, or didn't.

I'm still just humming 'Swing Low'...

;)

Toby
11-27-2003, 06:45 PM
What's with using "Swing low, sweet chariot" as the English theme song anyway? It ****ed me off all through the tournament. What relationship does it have to England/English rugby? Surely it's an African-American turn-of-the-last-century slave-type song? At least that's what I always thought?:confused:

joedoe
11-27-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Toby
What's with using "Swing low, sweet chariot" as the English theme song anyway? It ****ed me off all through the tournament. What relationship does it have to England/English rugby? Surely it's an African-American turn-of-the-last-century slave-type song? At least that's what I always thought?:confused:

Not to mention that it is a funeral song ;) And they only ever sang the chorus!

Serpent
11-27-2003, 09:24 PM
There's been a few explanations, but none of them really seem to make much sense. It's just been adopted. Of course, why is Waltzing Matilda so popular for the Aussies during the rugby? It's a song about a bushman committing suicide! Mind you, I guess the Wallabies committed a kind of suicide in the World Cup Final! :D

On a complete tangent, why do you all call black people in America "African-Americans"? For one, how do you know they're of African heritage? They could be from Papue New Guinea for all you know. Also, they were probably born in America for generations, just like everyone else.

What do you all call white Americans? I bet you call them "White People", right?

joedoe
11-27-2003, 09:44 PM
There's been a few explanations, but none of them really seem to make much sense. It's just been adopted. Of course, why is Waltzing Matilda so popular for the Aussies during the rugby? It's a song about a bushman committing suicide! Mind you, I guess the Wallabies committed a kind of suicide in the World Cup Final! :D

On a complete tangent, why do you all call black people in America "African-Americans"? For one, how do you know they're of African heritage? They could be from Papue New Guinea for all you know. Also, they were probably born in America for generations, just like everyone else.

What do you all call white Americans? I bet you call them "White People", right?

At least Waltzing Matilda is an Australian song :)

I dunno that the wallabies commited suicide. I thought they played the best game they could, and the better team won. It was amazing enough that they made it to the final, let alone putting up as good a fight as they did.

As for the African-American thing - PC. I read the other day that LA county has lodged a request that all tech equipment manufacturers find alternate terminology to what is currently called 'master-slave' technologies as a complaint was lodged that it was offensive. :rolleyes:

Goldenmane
11-27-2003, 10:04 PM
Here ya go joedoe:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/11/26/master.term.reut/index.html

There's an article on it.

Serpent:

Of course, why is Waltzing Matilda so popular for the Aussies during the rugby? It's a song about a bushman committing suicide!

'Cos it's become an anthem to the idea of refusing to give up one's freedom, really. The dude refuses to be taken and punished for committing the crime of stealing something to eat, and is so determined to avoid that fate that he goes to the extreme of taking his own life. "I will die before I bow to your bullsh!t" sort of thing.

Not that the majority of Aussies would necessarily know that, or even understand what the slang "waltzing Matilda" meant.

Toby
11-27-2003, 10:14 PM
Serp, I used "African-american" because I'm an Aussie and I'm trying to be PC to what little I know of black American culture. It seems to be the most PC phrase I hear. Saying "blacks" didn't seem right to me, neither does using the n-word that seems to be reserved for "african-american" people to use exclusively (like the scene from Rush Hour). I'd like to know what term I should use that doesn't offend anyone but isn't so sugar-coated, since I hate being PC. E.g. it ****es me off every time I see a blackboy called a "grass tree".

joedoe
11-27-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Goldenmane
Here ya go joedoe:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/11/26/master.term.reut/index.html

There's an article on it.

Serpent:

'Cos it's become an anthem to the idea of refusing to give up one's freedom, really. The dude refuses to be taken and punished for committing the crime of stealing something to eat, and is so determined to avoid that fate that he goes to the extreme of taking his own life. "I will die before I bow to your bullsh!t" sort of thing.

Not that the majority of Aussies would necessarily know that, or even understand what the slang "waltzing Matilda" meant.

And the irony of the song is that the person who brings the constabulary to arrest the swagman is in fact a squatter - someone who essentially stole the land on which the event occurs. :)

Goldenmane
11-27-2003, 10:44 PM
And the irony of the song is that the person who brings the constabulary to arrest the swagman is in fact a squatter - someone who essentially stole the land on which the event occurs.

Heh.. ultimately, we're all thieves. :D

joedoe
11-27-2003, 10:47 PM
Speak for yourself :D

Serpent
11-27-2003, 10:49 PM
It's cool joedoe, the Aussies didn't commit suicide at all - I'm just ragging ya! ;) That was actually the best game of rugby I've ever seen - I thought I was going to have a heart attack!

As for the African American thing, just call them them black for goodness sake. "Was it a white guy or a black guy?" It's common parlance, so don't let the PC crap rule you, that's my opinion.

Here in Australia I usually say black fella if I need to make the distinction. If there's a black guy and a white guy standing next to each other and I need to point one out I'll say either black fella or white fella, depending which person I'm talking about. And I'm an Englishman living here in Aus, so figure that out!

Jeez, I hate the PC sh!t. I heard about the master-slave stuff too. It's up there with chairperson and person-hole cover. Notice how those words are in common use now?

:rolleyes: :mad: :(

*shrug*

joedoe
11-27-2003, 10:58 PM
It's cool joedoe, the Aussies didn't commit suicide at all - I'm just ragging ya! ;) That was actually the best game of rugby I've ever seen - I thought I was going to have a heart attack!

As for the African American thing, just call them them black for goodness sake. "Was it a white guy or a black guy?" It's common parlance, so don't let the PC crap rule you, that's my opinion.

Here in Australia I usually say black fella if I need to make the distinction. If there's a black guy and a white guy standing next to each other and I need to point one out I'll say either black fella or white fella, depending which person I'm talking about. And I'm an Englishman living here in Aus, so figure that out!

Jeez, I hate the PC sh!t. I heard about the master-slave stuff too. It's up there with chairperson and person-hole cover. Notice how those words are in common use now?

:rolleyes: :mad: :(

*shrug*

Cool :) I heard that some hospitals in England reported an increase in admissions during and after the game - apparently quite a few English supporters had heart attacks.

I can understand changing offensive terms, but a lot of the PC stuff has gotten out of hand. Soon we will not be humans, but hupeople, no more management we will have peopleagement! :D

Toby
11-27-2003, 10:59 PM
'Kay, I'll just say black unless told not to by black people. Dunno that I'd call an Aborigine a blackfella, though. Depending on the circumstance, it might be asking for trouble.

I was once leaving a skimpy show at the Laverton pub and one of the guys I was with, when asked for a cigarette by a 13/14 yr old boy, replied "F**k off ya black c**t!". Me and the third guy looked at each other and just started running. Suddenly, like a disturbed ant's nest, there were 50+ teenagers/early 20-somethings running after us. Rocks started falling all around. We ran to where we had hid the car (so as to decrease likelihood of getting done for ****y driving) and the driver was fumbling with the key in the lock like in the movies. Got in and got away, with only a few dents in the panelwork of the boss's Landcruiser. We should have beat the guy up ourselves.

Goldenmane
11-27-2003, 11:06 PM
Here in Australia I usually say black fella if I need to make the distinction.

Funny thing, go up to the Northern Territory. That is the term you are expected/kinda required to use. Try calling the blackfellas up in Arnhem Land "Indigenous Australians" or something like that and they'll just think you're being a twat. Or at least, that's how it was when was up there last year.

Hell, it's not as if you can't tell that people have different coloured skin.

People call me short@rse often enough, or something like it, cos I'm only five foot six tall. It's a reality, I am quite short. So what?

Ooops... just got into a rant, didn't I? :eek:

Soon we will not be humans, but hupeople, no more management we will have peopleagement!

Nope, you got "men" still in there... it has to become peopleagepeoplet... or something like that. ;)

Liokault
11-28-2003, 01:07 PM
Goldenmane

Heh.. ultimately, we're all thieves.

Thats what I like about people from OZ, they all have the courage of their convictions :D

phoenix-eye
11-28-2003, 05:38 PM
"Cool I heard that some hospitals in England reported an increase in admissions during and after the game - apparently quite a few English supporters had heart attacks."

It was with the anticipation of being able to lord it over us Scots for the next 30 years like the footie in 1966 (soccer for you sadar$es in Oz and US).

Don't you just wish the health service had gone on strike that day?

;)

Bluesman
11-28-2003, 09:49 PM
Posted by serpent:

This is a name that some wanted to be called starting about 15 years ago. At first I did not like it as I am just an American, not a Euro-American. I recall reading where some group had tracked the DNA of the different races and if you put the sub Sahara Africans at one end, the other end would be the native peoples of the South Pasific. They may look similar, but they are as far apart as you can get and they are Asian.

I work for a Japanese company and a black woman overheard a man working on a computer controlled robot say something about the master and slave boards and she is trying to get everyone at the company and the industry to call them Mother and childern boards.
Can you imagine the mother cylinder on your car going out?

Bluesman
11-28-2003, 10:14 PM
I just read this thread today as it was something that I thought would not interest me. But I wanted to see what all the posts and views were about. Had a good laugh :D
Congratulations to our British allies! Hope that some of you can enjoy our version of whiskey, bourbon. The Scotts brought their whiskey making with them over here to Kentucky. They had to burn out some old empty salted fish barrels to get the stink out and the carbon left behind removes the bad taste from the whiskey too.
Of course we would not have won the war if was not for the French. They named a county in Kentucky after the House of Bourbon , France in their honor. The barrels were stamped Bourbon, that is where the salted fish were going, and that is how it got its name.
A bit smoother than Canadian, Irish or Scotch whiskey, at least the good stuff is. ;)

Eddie
11-29-2003, 02:52 AM
Speaking of which, I have met some African Americans who come over here (to Africa) with this idea to trace back their roots and everything. Most often, these guys have this ‘ romantic’ dream of their heritage, cultures, ceremonies and all. Very often (most of the time) when they get to Africa and they see what African culture is all about, they change their views all together, going back home, very happy to just be America. No More African American, rather just black Americans. I mean, have you ever see someone slaughter a cow, by cutting its throat and letting it die from blood loss? Have you seen how they circumcise young boys with dirty old carving knives? Have you ever seen how two brothers argue, one gets up, and stab the other one with a knife, then just go back as if nothing has happened, letting the other one die?

I’m a white man living in Africa. I was born here, and grew up amongst all of this, but I still cannot understand or accept the African cultures. Someone once told me, “ You should never try to understand Africa, just accept it”.

Please don’t come with this, you’re a racists thing and all. Its not about racism, its about cultures. African cultures are not for the feint hearted.

Serpent
11-29-2003, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by Goldenmane

Funny thing, go up to the Northern Territory. That is the term you are expected/kinda required to use. Try calling the blackfellas up in Arnhem Land "Indigenous Australians" or something like that and they'll just think you're being a twat. Or at least, that's how it was when was up there last year.

You know, that's possibly where I developed the habit. When I was first in Australia I came through the NT and was travelling through there (from Darwin to Alice and almost back again) for a couple of months.

Hell, it's not as if you can't tell that people have different coloured skin.

People call me short@rse often enough, or something like it, cos I'm only five foot six tall. It's a reality, I am quite short. So what?

Ooops... just got into a rant, didn't I? :eek:

My point exactly. If there's a black guy and a white guy standing somewhere and you need to point one of them out, what's the most distinctive feature you can use to identify which one? If it was you and I, Goldenmane, they'd say "the short guy" if they meant you (as I'm white and 6' 1"). Oh god, I could rant on for hours about.

Call a spade a spade, OK! :eek: :p :D

AndyM
11-29-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Bluesman
They had to burn out some old empty salted fish barrels to get the stink out and the carbon left behind removes the bad taste from the whiskey too.
Of course we would not have won the war if was not for the French. They named a county in Kentucky after the House of Bourbon , France in their honor. The barrels were stamped Bourbon, that is where the salted fish were going, and that is how it got its name.
A bit smoother than Canadian, Irish or Scotch whiskey, at least the good stuff is. ;)

The god of Whisky (note the lack of an 'e'), may forgive your ignorance, I however shall not! :mad:

Mind you, seeing as you Yanks who actually do visit Scotland researching your roots, wearing Tartan Trousers all ask for Coke and ice in your whisky, regardless of whether it's a malt or a blend, I could hardly expect better.

BTW, the *** USA Rugby team were thrashed by Scotland, a country smaller than mostly any of your individual states! :D

Kristoffer
11-30-2003, 07:25 AM
GO ABERDEEEN