PDA

View Full Version : Common Problems

Meat Shake
11-24-2003, 12:49 PM
What is the most common mistake you see beginners making?
What is the most common mistake you see at tournaments?
Any suggestions to fix said mistake?

norther practitioner
11-24-2003, 12:52 PM
forms?
fighting?
everything?

lack of power overall....

stances comes to mind in forms.

fa_jing
11-24-2003, 12:53 PM
Closing eyes. Putting head down. Dropping hands. Lack of aggressiveness. Lack of sense of distance. Turning the back.

Meat Shake
11-24-2003, 12:57 PM
Nothing particular. Just most common mistakes.

Botching specific attacks or counters while fighting in a tournament as well. Ie: at the shuai chiao tourney/seminar here, noticed a lot of people trying to chop or shave the opponents back leg.

norther practitioner
11-24-2003, 01:12 PM
Dropping the hands, and stopping in continuous sparring after they land a hit (and subsequently getting pummled).

Liokault
11-24-2003, 02:25 PM
In San Shou what I notice most are guys who have either underestimated how much stamina 3 rounds will take or can not set a pace that they can keep up.

The other mistake I see a lot is trying to stick to your game plan thats not working.

Ikken Hisatsu
11-24-2003, 09:17 PM
beginners.... bent standing leg while doing side kicks and so on, and not getting the heel of the standing foot all the way round. our instructor stresses this heaps but it still takes a while to get it right. as for tournaments, probably blocking leg kicks with your hands. although I admit I still do it sometimes :(

Water Dragon
11-24-2003, 09:36 PM

Rushing or forcing technique, don't get ahead of yourself

abandoning your training as soon as you get hit. Rushing or forcing the opponent.

Just keep training and listen to your coach. MA are a "time in" sort of activity.

Brad
11-24-2003, 09:54 PM
One of the biggest mistakes I've seen is a guy doing a front roll at his opponent during a San Shou match. Don't know how common that is though :D

SevenStar
11-24-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Meat Shake

Muay Thai: not turning the hip over on the roundhouse kick. Not thrusting with the hip on knees and the teep. legs cross - bad footwork, dropping the hands, having the fist horizontal instead of vertical on the hook punch.

judo: not trapping the arm in the proper place while doing the shoulder throw, improper falling, improper rotation, not committing to the throw, while doing a hip throw, not having the hips in the proper place, failure to break opponent's balance.

bjj: trying to attack while in someone's guard, extending the arms, improper bridging and elbow escapes, making too much space during armbars, pins, etc., improper arm position while doing the basic guard pass, not relaxing, using too much energy.

judo: not committing to the throw, not attacking in combinations, wasting of energy, looking at/for the coach while he is screaming instructions

muay thai: dropping hands

Train.