PDA

View Full Version : Superstitions (Knives as Gifts)

Starchaser107
11-24-2003, 01:52 PM
It has come to my attention that members on hthis forum exchange bladed objects with each other or give them as gifts. So, just as a matter of awareness I feel it may be necessary to share my cultural insights where this is concerned. I have taken the opportunity to search the web for referces to make my communicating this easier.
"Knives, scissors and all other types of utensils that are used for cutting things are not traditionally considered a good gift idea. Basically the idea of cutting or slicing things is does not promote good luck, or good karma. In fact, to the Chinese or in Latin America the gift of a knife as a gift would be interpreted as "cutting off a friendship (or relationship)."

An extension to this idea is the use of cutting tools when opening gifts. So take care not to tie or wrap the gifts in such a way that cutting tools will be required."

What to do if you get a knife as a gift
The tables are turned. It’s your wedding. You’re opening your gifts and you notice that someone has given you a set of knives.

Let’s assume that you're positive the gift-giver didn't mean anything negative by giving you the knife as a gift, but you’re still feeling uneasy about the whole deal. On one hand, you may need a great knife set, but on the other hand who wants bad luck from their wedding day? Legend has it that you can help reverse any bad luck from receiving this gift by giving the gift giver a penny (at least) for the knife. This, in effect, makes the gift a purchase!

If you do find yourself feeling uneasy about receiving a knife as a gift, know that you’re not alone. These thoughts are shared among cultures and religions around the world. Many different cultures opt for the “payment option” if a gift is considered inappropriate or bad luck!

Folklore
Something as simple as cutlery has developed quite a myriad of folklore surrounding it. Here’s a small sampling of what knives traditionally mean for their owners:
A knife as a gift from a lover means that the love will soon end.
A knife placed under the bed during childbirth will ease the pain of labor.
If a friend gives you a knife, you should give him a coin, or your friendship will soon be broken.
It will cause a quarrel if knives are crossed at the table.
It is bad luck to close a pocketknife unless you were the one who opened it.
Unless the are immediately straightened, crossed knives on a countertop or table indicate that an argument will ensue
In previous centuries a knife was a very personal possession, carried at all times by its owner and used for hunting and work as well as cutting food.
A steel knife was regarded as being protection against fairies and curses
A house could be protected by a knife being thrust into the door
A baby protected by a knife stuck into the headboard of its cradle (certainly not a recommended practice now!)
A knife could also be thrust into the mast of a boat for luck, although the word 'knife' was never spoken at sea.
A knife falling to the ground means the arrival of a male visitor.
A knife with a white handle could be used to divine whether the enquirer's future spouse would be fair or dark. The knife was spun round, and if it came to rest with the handle pointing towards the enquirer, the spouse would be fair; if the blade pointed at them, the spouse would be dark. "

taken from : http://www.wednet.com/questions/engage165.asp

Ming Yue
11-24-2003, 02:20 PM
my mother always said that you have to give a penny when you give a knife as a gift or you will cut the friendship.

:)

Starchaser107
11-24-2003, 04:45 PM
I wasn't aware there were methods of countering such things.

Starchaser107
11-24-2003, 04:45 PM
until now that is...:D

Ming Yue
11-24-2003, 04:57 PM
there's a counter for everything.

:D

Starchaser107
11-24-2003, 05:43 PM
is that your kung fu talkin' :p

Former castleva
11-24-2003, 08:31 PM
I always wondered whether "Are Not We Ever Gonna Have A Knife/Superstition Thread?!!"

Starchaser107
11-24-2003, 08:34 PM
Are you aware of any more superstitions?; I was hoping maybe they'd find thier way here.

Former castleva
11-24-2003, 08:57 PM
Sure,there are many but I can´t think of anything...tied to culture,so to speak.

Kristoffer
11-25-2003, 04:17 AM
Chase-Man, are u saying that I shouldn't buy my girl some knifes? :D

I didn't realize there were so much superstition involved around knifes...
I'm not really that superstisios (sp?) but I know a few of such:

*If two ppl dry their hands on the same towel they will soon get angry at eachother.

*walking on the letter 'A' means you'll have bad luck and most likely will get ****ed up the ass.

*In the swedish mid-summer feast, if you pick seven different flowers and put them under your pillow you will see your future lover.

Tak
11-25-2003, 09:41 AM
I wouldn't mind somebody buying me some bad luck.

Former castleva
11-25-2003, 10:21 AM
A person who buys that,does not deserve a gift anyway.

norther practitioner
11-25-2003, 11:26 AM
In the swedish mid-summer feast, if you pick seven different flowers and put them under your pillow you will see your future lover.

Not a bad place to go lookin' for a future sweety either.

:D

I never have my feet on the ground/ floor of my car while going over train tracks, or never step on them (sort of like the step on a crack break yo mamas back type thing).

CaptinPickAxe
11-25-2003, 03:54 PM
if you pass it to the right your a commie

if you pass it to the left your a hippie

if you don't pass it your a Bogart:D

chen zhen
11-26-2003, 06:21 AM
In the swedish mid-summer feast, if you pick seven different flowers and put them under your pillow you will see your future lover.

what kinda lame-ass tradition is that

we have the tooth fairy, i guess other countries have that too.

thats wack too:confused:

Judge Pen
11-26-2003, 08:35 AM
Last year, my ex-girlfriend bought me this cool dao that I had my eye on. When she gave it to me she said her grandmother would not approve as it was bad luck in Chinese culture to give a knife or sword as a gift. We broke up earlier this month.

chen zhen
11-26-2003, 08:46 AM
sorry to hear..:(

whats the morale, "never have a superstitiuos chinese girlfriend"?
:confused:. i hate when superstitions come true.

Kristoffer
11-26-2003, 09:47 AM
Superstitions rules

Starchaser107
11-26-2003, 11:03 AM
a few years ago for my birthday my ex-fiancee bought me a Gim and two daggers...

it was for the better anyway, and I still train with them.
I'm practical that way.

Volcano Admim
11-26-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Starchaser107
"In fact, to the Chinese or in Latin America the gift of a knife as a gift would be interpreted as "cutting off a friendship (or relationship)."

taken from : http://www.wednet.com/questions/engage165.asp

Never heard o that down here
Id like to get a knife asa gift, but there be other better gifs

Kristoffer
11-26-2003, 03:30 PM
I love knifes so I'd b thrilled if I got one. I used to collect knifes when I was under ten.

..And to this day it's one of my fav weapons. Blades are just so beautiful

joedoe
11-30-2003, 11:01 PM
I was told that if you give someone a knife as a present, you give them a coin as well so that they can give you the coin as payment for the knife, hence circumventing the bad luck :)

I've heard that it is bad luck to fall on the pointy end of your knife :D

Kristoffer
12-01-2003, 02:07 PM
..and running with sissors :)