PDA

View Full Version : gary lam video clip up on web site

Ernie
11-24-2003, 05:47 PM
http://garylamwingchun.com/movies.html

just in case you guys want to check them out :)

kj
11-24-2003, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the link, Ernie. I've seen these before, and still enjoy and appreciate them.

Naturally there are some differences in how I learn and practice, versus what Gary practices and teaches; none of us are clones, so differences are to be expected. Nonetheless, I can identify with and appreciate a number of significant aspects that I perceive in his demonstrations. Thought I'd offer a few of my positive and off-the-cuff observations just for grins and FWIW, and especially in case it might help to generate some additional and constructive chatter.

In no particular order:

Works to maintain his posture and positioning
No bobbing up and down; notice his head stays pretty well level as he moves and performs
Avoids leaning into the opponent, or away from him; also no leaning side to side
Doesn't raise the shoulders
Keeps his own body together and integrated (pelvis, torso, shoulders, head) with his energy focused on the opponent; no large disconnecting or off-balancing movements of his own body or head
Utilizes position and mechanical advantage in conjunction with good timing, rather than relying largely on his size and strength
Appears to have a good sense of the opponent's center; emphasis is on total control of the opponent's posture and balance, and does not forgo this in favor of strikes
Good dynamic sense of the opponent's center (again, for total control, not only for striking)
Controls hands, but doesn't chase them
Not obsessed by grabbing
Tends not to over commit or telegraph with his body or expressions
Knows how to apply energy to control the opponent with both hands/arms when appropriate; opponent has no escape route
Also knows how to control the opponent's two hands (and body) with his one (some would call this "trapping"), leaving his second hand free to attack
Albeit short samples, the clips indicate some patience and "listening" to the opponent; responding based on feel and timing, rather than forcing or over-committing his techniques
Conserves his own energy, while allowing the opponent to expend his
Tends to maintain himself as the center (i.e., of the circle), while the opponent moves around the perimeter, thus minimizing his own movement
Indications that he "settles" when applying energy or power to the opponent (e.g., in the pushing sequences); hard to confirm through these short video clips, but at the least, he doesn't rise or tense up
Does not respond as if intimidated; doesn't show excessive greediness or fear. Note that he does his thing comfortably and easily while engaged in conversation for the audience and camera.
Seems generally confident, calm, and good natured
Looks like he has worked his basics; I don't think he would have these foundation elements unless he had put in his time

These are all things I liked. I confess my observations are less about the specific techniques he was illustrating, and more about the underlying fundamentals. IMHO and IME, it's those types of fundamentals that enable the hands and "techniques" to operate so effectively and efficiently anyway.

BTW, I very much regret that I cannot join you guys at your get-together in December, and I hope you all have a terrific exchange. It took me until just last week to finally admit to myself that the trip is infeasible at this time. Maybe some day.

Regards and Thanks,
- Kathy Jo

Ernie
11-24-2003, 09:03 PM
wow
kathy if i ever need to write a book your in , good eye , he is very natural , but that comes from hard work and being a professional fighter , seasoning
he has complete confidence since he has knocked a lot of people out , sounds harsh but many of us may never have that oppertunity ,
there will always be a little part oif inside that wonders .

well i'm glad you liked them and i have some really cool stuff that is not on the site that you can pull off my server some time were he breaks down the drills and applications '' the foundation'' but by far the best thing i got is his dummy seminar ,
you have to see it to beleive it . he is one of the few people i have seen that works the dummy like a living opponent , even though he taught me the dummy i have only had glimpses of what he has shown me .

well you will be missed greatly i travel alot so perhaps i will visit your way someday
:)

S.Teebas
11-24-2003, 11:07 PM
Nice vids Ernie. He seems very fast with his hands!

PaulH
11-25-2003, 09:08 AM
I have been rereading Leung Man To's great article on the Science of Ving Tsun Kung Fu or Close Combat lately. Kathy really should consider picking up where the steam of that train of thought left someday. Her clarity and analytical gift would be a refreshing contribution to this great science or skills of close combat.

Regards,

PH

KenWingJitsu
11-25-2003, 06:08 PM
Thanks again Erine. I enjoyed seeng them again. I am particularly fond of "biu" "lop" and "ton"....for one of the reasons kathy mentioned...."Controls hands, but doesn't chase them"

And yes, he does seem scary relaxed as he preforms those movements. Nice. I have some questions I'll save for you till our meeting :D

Ernie
11-25-2003, 06:17 PM
kwj
please remind me , and i will hook you up with some of his vcd's
if you want , as for questions you can hit me up i'm an open book , infact it's hard to shut me up:D

i'm sure andrew told you , we killed five hours in a blink of an eye ,
it's like just ad water instant seminar , like minded sick minded patato pa tato

kj
11-26-2003, 06:23 AM
Ernie,

Thanks. Please do visit us here whenever you can. I might also be able to meet up with you in one of Rochester's surrounding cities if you happen to one of those. On a free weekend, anything within about a four hour drive can be reasonably managed as a long day trip.

Paul,

I am not recognizing the Leung Man To article you mention. Could you point me to it? To say that I have an overload of projects in queue is an understatement, LOL. Still, I'm a sucker for a good read.

Regards,
- kj

PaulH
11-26-2003, 09:10 AM
Kathy,

You can find it in the WSL book of David Peterson in the appendix section. It touches just about everythings that made WC so outstanding, unique and efficient in the hall of great martial arts.

Regards,

PH

kj
11-26-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by PaulH
Kathy,

You can find it in the WSL book of David Peterson in the appendix section. It touches just about everythings that made WC so outstanding, unique and efficient in the hall of great martial arts.

Regards,

PH

Ah! Thanks Paul. Then I have indeed read it. It's on my bookshelf, waiting for me to revisit and refresh my memory.

Regards,
- kj

couch
11-26-2003, 09:45 AM
I really love watching other people practise Wing Chun. In my school, we side-step a lot. Here, Gary Lam just stays standing where he is, which is amazing.

And just another example, Sifu Grados (I can't get his infectious music video out of my head!) seems to step into the attack.

It's really cool to see everyone use the knowledge differently. I know that when I've finished my system at my school - I will be searching out how other people/systems/schools use the art. All effective...just "tweaked!"

Just my $0.02. Have a great day.

hakka mui
11-26-2003, 12:03 PM
Hi Ernie

nice wing chun on the vids :D

Thanks for sharing.

hakka mui

chris
11-26-2003, 12:41 PM
Hi Ernie,
Thanks for posting the link. I really enjoyed the clips - a very impressive display of skill by Lam sifu.
Regards,
Chris

planetwc
11-28-2003, 07:55 PM
Ernie,

I had no idea that Lam Sifu had DVD's out on the system now.

Thanks for adding those video clips of your teacher. It is a real pleasure to see a rare example of quality Wing Chun in action.

Someone who can actually fight, has experience in doing so, and can express it while keeping true to the concepts and principles which embody this art. Wong Shun Leung would certainly be proud to know his legacy is being continued.

Bravo.