PDA

View Full Version : CLF forms

ZhouJiaQuan
11-24-2003, 11:20 PM
Im curious, i never really see a form list fro CLF.

so what are some of the main forms of CLF? i understand there are going to be many, but what are just some of the main ones?

Much thanks

Sho
11-25-2003, 02:36 AM
Here (http://www.plumblossom.net/ChoyLiFut/formslist.html)'s Doc Fai Wong's (incomplete) list, which includes most of Choy Lay Fut's forms.

It's difficult to tell any "main forms" that apply to everyone, because they depend on lineage and teachers. However, some people have come to the conclusion that forms such as Sup Ji Kau Da Kuen, Siu Moi Fa Kuen and (Siu) Ping Kuen are generally the most commonly practiced forms in CLF.

SifuX-HSK
12-03-2003, 03:47 PM
from school to school clf forms will vary. the main staples are ping kuen, cheung kuen, kau da. forms such as sup gee vary as well, all the teachers add their own influence to the forms which may alter the outward appearance but the essence is the same.
lee koon hungs, singapore hsk, lau bun's hsk, and even fut san hsk all have different sup gee's. but there are earmarks on these sets that tell you what set it is.

as for professor lau bun, he was a realist, a fighter and killer. he changed his clf to adapt to his new surroundings and larger adversaries. so over the years our clf developed into a more effective system to fit the american lifestyle.

but upon our return to our birthplace in fut san, we were unmistakenly identified as true descendants of the fut san hung sing kwoon under the jo shi jeong yim.

choy lee fut students think that ping kuen, cheung keun and ka day were sets created separately but it was in fact -according to the fut san hsk historians it was chan ngau sing who took a form that was passed on to jeong yim by mong ching cho called "in and out bagwa" which was 1080 moves and broke it into the 3 aforementioned sets.

frank

Shaolinlueb
12-03-2003, 08:49 PM
man thats a lot of forms man. the ine dragon trident is neat.

sing fu
12-03-2003, 10:18 PM
There sure do seem to be a lot of forms! Could any of you CLF guys outline what the focus of the Moi Fah, Sup Gee and Bot-Gwa are? They seem come up again and again in the curriculum :)

Ben Gash
12-03-2003, 10:23 PM
Moi fa - footwork in 5 directions
Sup Ji - footwork in 4 directions
Bot Gwa - crazy footwork in mad directions ;)

sing fu
12-03-2003, 11:02 PM
The mind boggles - Ben, are these footwork patterns the same with the Moi Fa, Sup Gee and Bot Gwa weapons sets too? And by crazy footwork, are we talking MC Hammer-type stuff here??

Woops, forget my last question :p

Ben Gash
12-03-2003, 11:13 PM
OK, Moi Fa means plumb blossom yeah? The traditional artistic representation of a plum blossom has 5 petals.
Sup Ji means "Ten Character". The character Sup (ten) is a + shape.
Ergo, if a form has footwork in 5 directions it gets tagged Moi Fa, if it has 4 it gets Sup Ji.

sing fu
12-03-2003, 11:48 PM
Thanks very much for that, Ben - understood! :) My dad studied some CLF from a retired man in Sydney many years ago, but I don't know much about the art myself. Thanks once again!