PDA

View Full Version : The fight(s) you lost

JKDVIGILANTE
05-28-2000, 07:57 AM
Anybody want to talk about the fight you lost and why YOU think you lost it? Or if the reason you lost is obvious,how have you changed your training methods to better prepare yourself for 'next' time?

------------------

J.L.B.

JWTAYLOR
05-29-2000, 06:41 PM
Hmmm,
Real fights, not just heavy sparring. Where should I begin?
1. Got thrown over a pool table and choked once. I was pretty drunk and didn't know that I was in a fight. Apparently the other guy thought I was. Fortunately friends were beating him senseless by the time I realized that I was in trouble.
2. Got knocked the fu(k out once. Thought I was pummelling one guy on the ground when it turns out I was really fighting three guys, only one of which I was pummelling on the ground.
3. No punches thrown and I still got my jaw broken. (His girlfriend hit me with a big rock from the side before the guy and I ever got into it.) I just walked away from that one.

Shall I go on....

All lost for the same reason. I thought the situation was what I was seeing at the time. And I was wrong.
JWT

------------------
If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

JWTAYLOR
05-30-2000, 01:03 AM
Great topic.
It's nice to know that everyone else around here is invincible.
JWT

Robinf
05-30-2000, 01:08 AM
It's not that everyone is invincible. I've been extremely lucky in my life to have never been in a fight or even serious sparring that I couldn't just walk out of.

Sorry.

I did get out of a guy's grip, and I scared off another guy who was coming at me for I don't really care to know what reason. But, other than that, my life has been fortunate and uneventful in this arena.

JWTAYLOR
05-30-2000, 01:32 AM
D@MN YOU SAFE PEOPLE!
JWT

05-30-2000, 12:06 PM
We're just a bunch of weenies JWT. Or maybe it's because we now how to keep our mouth shut at the right time??? LOL

I've been in one "fight" it was in High School and then I didn't know it was a fight until it was over. The whole school was out side for a fire drill and this tall black kid I'd never seen before said "what are you looking at" as I stared off into space in my own world (frequent occurance then). I guess I was looking in his direction. I think I said "nothing", then he poped me in the mouth. He almost knocked one of my teeth clean out the *******! I wasn't even sure he'd hit me at first I was so surprised. The school caught him when he went in to get his hand bandaged and they fu@ let him go with no punishment because he claimed I called him a ******. The pricipal was black and I wasn't...enough said! **** racists. I still have a discolored front tooth because of that as@hole.

I got "defeated" 'cause I didn't know I was in a fight, but I'd probably have lost anyway as I had not real clue how to fight then anyway. I learned my lesson and some more lessons (juijitsu +karate). I've always been able to avoid fights since then. I don't need to prove to myself that I can kick X's ass and I'm a smooth talker. Probably doesn't hurt that I'm 6 feet and 220+ lbs either. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by shiroikuma (edited 05-31-2000).]

[This message has been edited by shiroikuma (edited 05-31-2000).]

DiME
05-30-2000, 12:11 PM
I'm 20 years old, and so far the only fight I've lost was when my friend got into it with someone. We were trying to walk away when this kid came over and shoved me. I turned around and suddenly I'm surrounded by a huge crowd watching me fight this kid. Anyway, somewhere in the middle of all this I got kicked in the nuts. That was pretty much the end of it. I swear nothing has ever hurt more. That's the worst that's ever happened to me.

Peace

illusionfist
05-30-2000, 01:47 PM
Well all of the "real" altercations that i have been in have all ended in my favor (thank god) but i can tell you about an incident that happened against a kung fu brother and i that changed my whole outlook on fighting.

I'm pretty flexible and when i was about 14-16 yrs old, i used to kick a lot when i was sparring. I used to try bunches of high (and in my opinion) obviously useless kicks. It wasn't till one of my kung fu brothers snap kicked me in the nads that i realized that those kinds of kicks are useless. We were doing a type of street fighting conditioning class where we didn't use any kind of pads or protection (i.e. groin cups). This class was only open to advanced students because we were the only ones thought of as having some remote control. Well my kung fu brother just reacted at my high roundhouse to his head and WHAM,i entered high pitch melody land for about 2 hrs.

This incident changed my outlook because i started training my hand techniques more. I realized that i was too incomplete a fighter just using my kicks. I eventually got in trouble because i used hand techniques that were not "orthodox" to the style. I used short southern hand techniques instead of the orthodox long fist ones (at least those dictated by the style).

The rest is history...

Peace /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Seeker of the Way
05-30-2000, 05:07 PM
Sounds like people 'round here is -not- invincible. I have yet to see someone who is, anyway /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I have a very bad habit of being assaulted out of nowhere by people itching for fights, but my worst one would be down at my grocery store, where two people started ragging on me, and I just ignored them and walked, thinking that the smartest.

As well as two people now can circle you, they circled me, and first guy smacks me square in the chest. http://216.219.234.88/forum/roundtable/eek.gif

I shift my stance, and try to ignore the pain. This fails miserably, and I suffer another *****-slap to the head /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Finally I regain composure, and whips off a frantic chain-punch in the first guys chest. He loses his stance and falls over. In desperation, I completely forget the other man, and as I turn, he has pulled out a switchblade and sliced me upside the arm.

Bleeding like, well, a pig for lack of a better metafor, I kick out in panic. A Sci Ni maneuver actually(I remembered later), it hit his knee, and must have dislocated it, for the sensation was quite grotesque. He falls over, dropping the knife.

The first guy is up again, but I am long running, just wanting to get the hell out of there.

I lamented what I did to them later, but it scares me that people are willing to pull a knife on some guy they meet in the grocery store, just because they are bored?

Well, that's my story. Not a loss in the closest sense of the word, but morally, I think I lost..

SotW

------------------
The dance of life, the capering of elements, and skip of gods. The dance is mine, I AM the dance.

05-30-2000, 05:29 PM
Great topic...

Hmmmm...it's been a while since I've been in a fight (being old and married and all /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif ), but when I was younger, I was pretty much a magnet for trouble, which got me into the martial arts in the first place.

I won some, I lost some (I remember once I was winning, but my friend who was racing on his bike to help me lost control of it and ran me over right as I was about to knock the guy's lights out! LOL!), but one loss has always stuck with me, and actually still kinda affects me.

Some kid named Damien (like *that's* not an indicator that he's gonna be an a-hole) had decided to kick my a$$...I don't know why. Well, he snuck up on me from behind and cold-cocked me right in the back of the head. He knocked me down, and I rolled over, looking up at him. In my karate/TKD class, we had been doing kicks from the ground...directed at the legs and groin and whatnot, so like a champ I fire off a side kick, designed to blast him right in the nuts. Well, I had my distance guaged wrong, and I landed the weakest blow imaginable right to his inner thigh. He just sorta blinked and laughed at me right before he jumped on me and wailed on my face until some adult broke it up.

The lesson to learn, I suppose, is to keep fighting, even if your first strike/move doesn't work. I guess in my head, I was like, "I'll kick him, he'll drop, and that'll be that." Obviously, I should have kept kicking or trying to get up or something.

What still affects me, though, is that total feeling of helplessness when my blow landed so lightly on him. I still have dreams sometimes when I'm fighting someone, and every punch lands with that forceless contact. On some level, I'm very afraid that if I ever do have to hit someone, it won't hurt, even though I've grown into a 200 lb. thug with BIG arms who can knock a heavy bag around like nobody's business. I'm not sure what to do about it, mentally. I certainly think that this could affect me in a fight, and I hope I can overcome it, somehow.

------------------
Peace.
Reverend Tim

Ford Prefect
05-30-2000, 06:26 PM
Let's see...

The first time I was ever really "drunk", I fought one of my sister's friends, tripped over my own feet while back pedaling, and got pummelled. I looked like a raccoon because I had two black eyes.

Another time I got charged while I was sitting down at a party because I was disputing the score in a beer die game. Didn't even have a chance to move. I was just knocked over, being strangled, and had my head smashed against the concrete floor repeatedly.

There was another time that I was watching a fight at a party, but somebody must have thought I was in it because I got blind sided by one of those duraflame logs. I didn't go down, but I couldn't see. I was then tripped and kicked a few times.

It's all just fun stuff like that.

05-30-2000, 07:10 PM
Jeez, Ford...

Time to move out of Revere! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

------------------
Peace.
Reverend Tim

[This message has been edited by ReverendTim (edited 05-31-2000).]

Ky-Fi
05-30-2000, 07:17 PM
uhhh....real fights...well, I got into a fight on the ice during a high school hockey game..I guess that doesn't really count....hmm..being a pretty mellow, low key guy, I don't think I've ever been in real fight. When I was in college, during the summers I worked in a Kraft(yogurt) factory. The regular workers had threatened us summer help, saying that they were going to throw us in a huge vat of cold water during our last week. My buddy Dave carried an x-acto knife with him, telling everybody that if they tried to grab him they were going to get cut. Being slightly less psychotic, I didn't carry any weapon, and sure enough, a couple days before I was done I was approached in back room by a couple of the regular guys. They were laughing, but it was slightly serious. As the lead dufus approached me, I said half-jokingly "watch out, I know Karate". He kind of smirked and kept walking. I was still kind of joking around, and I was going to do a high kick and land it next to his face to show him I wasn't kidding. Well, probably because I was nervous, I misjudged and really clocked him pretty hard in the jaw with the toe of my work boot. His buddy started laughing, and he was laughing too, trying to pretend it was nothing, although I had hit him pretty good. They both just went back to their jobs. The next couple days I was constantly made fun of--every time I walked into a room someone would yell out "hey, watch out for Bruce Lee", and then some of the tough guys would say "you try that **** with me and you'll be sorry". Let's just say I was ready to get out of that place---but I didn't get thrown in a vat /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif........man, my fight experience is pretty lame compared to JWT /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Ford Prefect
05-30-2000, 07:35 PM
LOL! Naw. All that happenned in Framingham.

Ky-Fi
05-30-2000, 07:43 PM
Hey, we can't delete our own posts anymore?--oh well, just ignore this one

[This message has been edited by Ky-Fi (edited 05-31-2000).]

IronBuddha
05-30-2000, 07:49 PM
the fights i have lost....

5 against me - walking home from school and i got jumped. 1 of them went away with a broken hand. the rest beat the snot out of me.

4 against me -- walking home from school again (i wasn't liked much in school). 1 guy got his head slammed onto the hood of a car and he fell down and started crying. the rest beat the snot out of me.

4 against me -- the same 4....walking home from school.again. his time i initiated before they could start. i grabbed one by the nads (i made sure to twist also). he fell screaming and puking. i managed to get another one in a reverse headlock and DDT him (let's hear it for too much WWF!. i kept him in the headlock as the other 2 started kicking. they beat the snot out of the both of us.

3 cheers for catholic school.

------------------
'instead of resting your legs, you should be standing up. instead of folding your hands you should be giving them out. instead of turning your back, you should be showing your face. why do you walk away?' --.hwm.

Tyger
05-31-2000, 02:58 AM
I was walking by the public library after school when I was a senior and a group of three guys were standing in the driveway of the house next door. They refered to me by a derogatory variation of my last name (which I was very used to by the time I was a senior)when I looked just to see who had said it. I didn't know any of the guys so I was just letting it go when one shouted,

"What are YOU looking at " to which I foolishly (although with no particular malice) replied, "You ." It seemed like the correct responce anyway.

This damaged the young man's ego so he charged after me. I turned in plenty of time to see him but I had no fighting skills whatsoever. We scuffled a bit and both of our glasses landed on the ground. I wasn't hurt but I had big puffy ski-gloves on and neither of us was doing much to the other through thick winter coats. I didn't want my glasses to get stepped on so I just said, "Okay man, I give." He said "You're f**king right you give," and he stalked back to his friends who had been making their way down the sidewalk.

Now that I think back on it, I guess I got away VERY easily. Some of you guys sound like you got the snot beat of you for nothing. I guess a small town bully was a good person to learn the "just keep your mouth shut when you can" lesson on.

JKDVIGILANTE
05-31-2000, 04:31 AM
The fight I lost(the one that changed me forever)was back in high school.The guy had been pestering my girlfriend,so,I had to stick-up for her.Unfortunately,the guy had 3"(height)over me,he was also about 50lbs larger than me,did I mention his reach was about 10feet!He looked lke a big,ugly gorilla!Needless to say,I was out-gunned in size,power and experience.(he was an experienced street-brawler with a lot more fights under his belt,and God could he take a hit!).The whole situation sucked for me.When it was over,I had a stiff jaw,a bruised tail-bone from where he bum-rushed me to the parking-lot with amazing speed,and I was quite dizzy and light-headed.What stopped the fight was when I caught him with a right hook to the corner of his right eye,I cut him good.When I saw how bad I cut him,I said,"c'mon man,I've had enough".At this point we both walked away.Come to find out later that he just wanted to see how tough I was,because my idiot friends were bragging about me to him,and he was sick and tired of hearing about it.I can't honestly blame the guy.I feel I lost this fight because he chose to quit,he didn't have to,he did me a favor.But,I earned his respect the hard way and he'll always have that scar I gave him.The scar looks kind of cool on him though,it defenitely makes him look more HARD-CORE.Since that fight,I have been doing a lot of strength and speed training.Fighting someone that much bigger and stronger than me was a real wake-up call.Did I mention his reach was 10feet(seemed like!)

laughing tiger
06-12-2000, 01:44 PM
Well...(embarrassed)...no one ever defeated me, but I actually defeated myself in front of 2 tough guys ...LOL (true!) I was confronted by two guys who were very beligerent and threatened me. This was in a bar. I moved towards them, slipped on some kind of liquid (beer, probably)on the floor and banged the back of my head on a table behind me, which promptly knocked me out.I awakened to lots of people laughing at me. Even I started laughing, eventually. The 2 guys were gone. What a goofball I was! :-)

Fist Fighter
06-19-2000, 01:34 PM
I lost my only real big fight. It was at a car show,and we had just finished a demonstration. Some local idiots thought we were just a bunch of crappy wax-on, wax-off karate kids. Well, we were kicking their ass, when it all kinda cleared when it centered on me and this big asian kid. Everybody was just kinda lookin at us, like a showdown. Anyway, I was a better fighter, but the reason I lost was showing off. Hey, it's **** hard not to pose when every **** motion in Hung-Gar looks cool.(Can you say Wong fay Hung?) I kinda got caried away and the next thing I knew his chum hit me with a tire iron. Y'know, the ones that are shaped like a plus? **** thing hurt for weeks.

Gojira
06-30-2000, 02:18 AM
I remember one time where I was in class and I got in a heated argument with another student, The teacher proceeded to have us spar a bit to cool off.
We squared off and landed a few on each other and at one point my dojo brother threw a roundhouse at my head and I saw it coming, real slow and my mind was screaming "BLOCK, DUCK, DO SOMETHING *******!!!!!" and my body decided to get offended and it did nothing. The next thing I remember I was counting the light on the ceiling and being asked "Are you ok?" "Do you know where you are?" my response was "Sure,I'm on the floor" was funny as hell in retrospect but I learn to work better on my reflexes.
I hope all enjoyed this story!!

DrunkenMonkey
07-04-2000, 07:39 PM
5th Grade - 3 Against me;

It was two sixth graders and 1 fifth graders who were trying to look cool. Anyways, one left with cracked carpals, another with a fractured foot and another with a really bad bowel problem. I left with a broken index finger and a puffy cheek.

8th Grade - 6 against me:

The three same guys who wants revenge and 3 of their friends. 2 Ran off when I kicked out one of the guy's knees. I grappled the fourth and brought him down with a sweep and a relatively light jab to the solar plexus. I ran after that, leaving 2 guys on my tail.

10th Grade:

4 guys on me. I took them all and walked away with a sore foot and a bulging elbow.

------------------
Underaged Drunken Monkey

clays_90034
07-21-2000, 02:58 AM
I used to skateboard a lot. It was around midnight at the Anahiem convention center by Disneyland. 3 older guys showed up on their boards. There was 3 of us. We could tell they weren't skateboarders. My friend said something and the biggest guy thought it was too him. (which it was, just not said quietly enough) and they started yelling at each other. I knew then we were in for it. I started yelling and the guy hit my friend and my friend took off while the guy started toward me. Then his friend jumped in and said "let me take him" Right away he started swinging. I dodged the first couple shots then landed one to his head. That is the last thing I remember on my own. My other friend who was just watching said the big guy came and blind sided me. I hit the ground hard but got right up yelling don't take our boards. I don't even remember the ride home. One of my back teeth is still crushed. The weird thing is my tooth. It was on the side that hit the ground not the one he hit.

08-05-2000, 04:44 AM
Once I got into a fight in Colorado where it was snowy and cold. I wasn't dressed for the weather so soon into the fight we were on the ground and I got really cold and my body froze up. The guy I was fighting bashed my head into a solid block of ice while his friends kicked me in the sides. I played dead, when he started to walk away I pounced on him and slammed his head into a slanted wall of cement. He got really ****ed and I was back to getting my head bounced off the ice untill he was satisfied. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ...oops

MonkeySlap
08-05-2000, 07:29 AM
I guess it depends on your definition of losing. Whenever my mouth fu fails to end a problem and it gets physical, I consider it a loss.

My most tense fight was against seven gang bangers who jumped a friend of mine and were pummeling the **** out of him on the ground.

I dropped three of them before they new they were fighting me. In fact, I was unscathed until I faced the last guy standing. I was about to beleive life COULD be like a kung fu movie. Oops. I tried to subdue him without hurting him, and nearly got my eye gouged out for my trouble. So, I broke his leg, very deliberately. But not after taking some shots to the head that had me seeing white.

A year later I discover I have micro fractures in seven of my teeth. Mosdt likely caused by the punches I took to the head. They required thousands of dollars and effectively ending my San Shou goals. (If I wanted a full set of natural teeth.)

So, who's the winner?

Tru-MA
08-06-2000, 09:01 AM
I lost plenty of fights against a high school wrestler in the past 2 years. I always kept coming back to try to show that guy that I could beat him up (and now I feel really stupid for doing that), but he's broken my ribs, choked me out, and bodyslammed me into the ground. I'm lucky, considering that he nearly snapped a guy's neck in another fight and got suspended from the school. He transferred to another school, so I don't have to worry about facing him anymore.

totallyfrozen
08-07-2000, 01:44 AM
If you changed the topic to "Fights you've won", I would have a shorter list. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

totallyfrozen
08-07-2000, 01:56 AM
The only one that comes to mind right now is this:
I was at a fund raising dance for some paegent for some girls I knew. It was a cheap affair...they didn't even have dance lighting...so it was dark.
I was walking in and some guy elbowed me in the hall and asked if I wanted trouble. I said, "no" and walked off. As I walked off, I could see the reflection in the window that he was following me. I went around a corner and waited for him. He came around and I was going to ask him what the problem was..but instead his girlfriend materialized out of thin air (the darkness) and started accusing me of calling her a *****. I had never seen her before in my life. When I was saying, "Why would I call you a b****? I've never seen you before in my life." I noticed my head bouncing off the brick wall behind me. It took me a second to figure out who was hitting me. This guy had been sucker punching me while I was talking. He hit me 3 times and cut my lip. I was just getting ready to teach him some respect when the DJ jumped off the stage, beat him up, and threw him outside.
I consider this "one that I lost" because I didn't win it...someone else won it for me. ****!

Actually it was good...when the cops showed up I was able to tell them that I hadn't hit the guy even once and they asked around and verified it.
Of course I was kidding about the regret of not fighting this guy. He was a minor, I was not. I would have gone to jail. It all worked out in the end; although, I did have to get stitches in my lip and I didn't have alot of money in those days.

[This message has been edited by totallyfrozen (edited 08-07-2000).]

totallyfrozen
08-07-2000, 02:01 AM
I know the feeling. I got my chimes rung playing soccer once. Oops! 'shoulda wore a cup. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DiME:
I'm 20 years old, and so far the only fight I've lost was when my friend got into it with someone. We were trying to walk away when this kid came over and shoved me. I turned around and suddenly I'm surrounded by a huge crowd watching me fight this kid. Anyway, somewhere in the middle of all this I got kicked in the nuts. That was pretty much the end of it. I swear nothing has ever hurt more. That's the worst that's ever happened to me.

Peace[/quote]

totallyfrozen
08-07-2000, 02:11 AM
I find your outlook to be confusing. You seem to feel that you morally compromised because you defended yourself. Can you think of another way that you could have gotten out of it? If you were surrounded and they had a knife, I don't see what else you could have done.
Why feel guitly about defending your life? Isn't that what martial arts training is about? It's not like you tried to rob them...they came to you WITH A KNIFE of all things! I would have been proud of myself for being able to defend myself without having to kill someone. Everybody lived and you escaped. You can't ask for more than that. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Seeker of the Way:

I lamented what I did to them later, but it scares me that people are willing to pull a knife on some guy they meet in the grocery store, just because they are bored?

Well, that's my story. Not a loss in the closest sense of the word, but morally, I think I lost..

SotW

[/quote]

[This message has been edited by totallyfrozen (edited 08-09-2000).]

totallyfrozen
08-07-2000, 02:16 AM
Just my 2 cents, Rev. Maybe if you did a bit of full contact sparring then you would be able to break that mental hang up. You would see that with the strength that you have since aquired you are a powerhouse. Maybe you have to test your strength on another man and not just on a bench press in order to convince your mind. Just a thought. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ReverendTim:
Great topic...

On some level, I'm very afraid that if I ever do have to hit someone, it won't hurt, even though I've grown into a 200 lb. thug with BIG arms who can knock a heavy bag around like nobody's business. I'm not sure what to do about it, mentally. I certainly think that this could affect me in a fight, and I hope I can overcome it, somehow.

[/quote]

[This message has been edited by totallyfrozen (edited 08-09-2000).]

totallyfrozen
08-08-2000, 01:43 PM
I think that I have been speaking out of turn in some of my posts. I was speaking without putting full thought into what I was saying.
I apologize and let me clarify.
I have said a few times that there is no subsitute for "full contact" sparring.
Please understand that I come from a Western Boxing background where a full contact spar won't (usually) get you killed. There are not kicks, pressure point stikes, etc. in American boxing.
My recommendation for full contact sparring was made without the consideration that there are some of you out there who can kick like a horse. A full contact spar with some of you guys would surely end up in someone's permanent disability or death.
I was thinking with Wester boxing on my brain and not Chinese boxing.

I would just like to clarify that with all of you...especially the ones who were asking questions about courage, etc.

Perhaps a medium contact sparring would suffice.

Anyway, I apologize for letting my fingers run before my brain.

I hope no one gets hurt on my account.

Hung Wai
08-18-2000, 10:48 AM
I've only lost one fight. Not because I'm invincible but I've always been underestimated because I'm not very big. The fight I lost was kind of a stalemate. The guy walked away with an eye that was swelling and I had a black eye myself. I see this as a loss because I should of beat him but I was to drunk. I kept aiming for his face dead center (he had poor defence, hands low), but I kept hitting him in the side of the head! I now drink less when I go out.

kungfuswack
08-30-2000, 02:10 AM
I think what all this comes down to is don't be as drunk/unaware as the other guy, and if a group opproaches you, RUN!. At least this will stretch them out a little to take on one or two at a time if you're lucky. The only fight I lost was in high school. I was having an argument with this bigger kid, and I told him to **** himself or something similar. He pushed me, and I pushed back hard, and he fell down. I went back inside, pretty sure that he was going to get up and beat the crap out of me. After school I was sitting on the bench by the bus stop, and he came up behind me and smashed my face into a puddle on hard dirt. I had a bloody nose, and a lot of mud on my face. Not really a fight really, but I think, like most of the fights we've all lost, it didn't start with "hey, you wanna fight". In that situation, even against a larger opponant, most people do at least a little damage and everybody walks away injured. Of the 2 fights I've been in as an adult, I won both, and both were face on "lets go" situations, rather than the oh so brave sucker punch. I think a good drill to work would be, have your fellow classmates surround you, like you're on a crowed bus, only 3 or 4 would be nessesary, and one will attack you out of nowhere, not too hard, just a bunch of medium powered punches with gloves on, or a grappling/punch combo attack. Mabye try with everybody yelling at you, or pushing you slightly. You have to practice going from relaxed to fighting hard in as short a time as possible. This lack of ability to react to the real attack while surrounded by distraction could help counter the surprise of the sucker punch. Sure, you'll take the initail hits, but you won't let them overwhelm you. Also, good advice whoever said keep up your attack, even if you don't connect with the first. That's something that I've had to get over. I would spar in class, throwing combinations of 3 to 5. Jab jab, cross, thigh kick, hook, rear hook, and feel like an idiot everytime I missed or threw something obviously weak, and felt like everybody watching was secretly laughing. Look at any pro boxing match. They miss all the time. If you miss, it may have actually set up your opponant for something else. Just hit again. If you attack and attack, maintaining forward pressure, it makes it much more difficult for your opponant to attack, even if every blow doesn't connect. In a 12 round match, you'll just tire yourself out, and so it's appropriate to pace yourself, but in the street, you've only got the one round. Attack like a madman and keep it up. Look at boxing once again. Unless there is an extreme missmatch, the boxer who threw the most punches wins.

Naoshu
09-02-2000, 10:50 AM
hmmm well i never got in a real fight but i do spar with Yanglao and he kicks my ass

Daddynader
09-06-2000, 05:21 AM
Well iam a bouncer at a club and i took martial arts for 3 years on and off. Iam in it strictly for the money and when i throw people out they are shaking my hands by the time they are out the door because i show respect. But one day these group of guys came in and i remember asking them to leave two time prior to that. so the last time they were barred. just this past weekend i was out with my freinds enjoying my only night off work in the week (saturday)night. i got to this club and i was drunk as a scunk. well these guys seen me recognized me and with no confrentation they jumped me. it took about 10 seconds to realize that i was in a fight. then it was broken up by the bouncers and the cops of that bar i was at. then we went outside and i was so mad to be assaulted like that, and the guy wanted to go one on one, so i agreed... and stupid me i was so drunk my little neice could beat me. then i went out of sight to look for the guy for the one on one and from behind one punch and got knocked out. while i was on the ground with my head against the pavement he was hitting me which put huge scratch on my face. Well the piont of the story is that i learned my lesson and it's one of many. I will never go out in public to a place with that many people that drunk. actually not drunk at all. i should always be in control of my body and my sarroundings. or i might be a ego boost for some other dude who might not like the fact that i have a job to do and i do it...
SO STAY SOBER OR JUST DON'T FIGHT....

Weapon-Maker
09-15-2000, 10:00 PM
I can't believe this topic is still here. The old 'Vigilante' days-:)

geosync
11-08-2000, 10:02 PM
Since this is a couple of months old maybe noone will read this but I figured since so many of my Massachusetts bretheren posted I may as well.

Lansdowne Street, downstairs at Mama Kins, very very drunk. I got into a little ****ing contest w/ some guy. After our little contest I kept mouthing off and decided to take my jacket, not to fight but because it was friggin hot. He charges me when my arm are all tangled up. Next think I know I am on the floor covering up as I recieve a major ass kicking from him and 10 of his buddies (so I was told). I was saved by one of the bouncers (a guy I would train with) and a kung fu friend of mine.

It was not pretty and I was bruised up and bleeding from the head where one of punk *****es decided to jump off a chair onto my head. Leather boots and my head don't mix too well.