PDA

View Full Version : what is baji

jun_erh
11-25-2003, 04:33 PM
I have heard the 8 extremes fist or that is is sort of like xingyi. Can anyone tell me some characteristics of baji? I've been looking everywhere and can't find anything real detailed. I know it's a dumb question...

RAF
11-25-2003, 05:28 PM
http://www.wutangcenter.com/wt/index.html

Go into Articles section. You will find two articles describing the baji/pigua taught by the Li Shu Wen/Liu Yun Qiao lineage. Also above you will find a baji section.

There is also a video clip of the baji/pigua form and photos of the jing gang ba shi single moving practice along with applications. We usually start baji with static post standing via the baji horse stance and proceed with single moving postures and then into the xiao baji or linking form.

No dumb questions here. Baji system has been relatively obscure here the States and outside Taiwan and mainland China. CCTV 9 did a wonderful 20 part documentary in which one hour was devoted to the baji/pigua of Hebei province of China.

http://www.cctv.com/lm/176/71/88860.html

"Since the opening and reform policies implemented in China, every trade has done utmost to develop economy. Kung fu has no longer been the means to conquer enemies. In Cangzhou, however, kung fu practicing is still popular. Wherever you go, the one you meet may be a good player. There, we picked two less-known players and took down what they did in a day. The two didn¡¯t know each other, their homes far apart, the 60-odd Sun in Qingxian County, and 98-year old Zhu in Cangxian County.

People like them are many in Cangzhou, viewed not as the top players. They have practiced it through out their lives, easy to be approached, never in the hope to gain a quick success or anything. They never hoped to, one day, establish their own school. This peaceful state of mind has left them in excellent health." (Baji/pigua episode)

Enjoy.

jun_erh
11-27-2003, 06:25 AM
I'll check those out thanks. I've been getting interested in hsing i lately. I don't have much reach and have been looking for a way to get to my opponent better I sort of improvised this fencing looking stuff. thinking in a boxing format here

Brad
11-27-2003, 11:14 AM
http://www.wutangcenter.com/wt/index.html

Go into Articles section. You will find two articles describing the baji/pigua taught by the Li Shu Wen/Liu Yun Qiao lineage. Also above you will find a baji section.
Wow, I really like the new site design!

Anyway, visually, Baji and Xingyi have some similarities, but I think they feel very different when practiced. Not quite sure how to explain it, lol.

ngokfei
12-05-2003, 11:19 PM
There exists a great VCD by the Beauty Culture Communication company on BAJI ( areal overview with an applications disk also)

its called:

Wu Shi Baji Quan "Ba Ji Compilation & Ji Ji San Shou by Shifu Wu, LianZhi

check out:

www.plumblossom.com or www.insidechina.com

good investment to get a good overview. There are also tapes in english by various teachers in the US also.